Wuxia

Alright, making a wuxia thread.
What games have you played in Best Genre?
What systems have you used to play it? Did it work or not?
And finally, does anybody actually care about this stuff other then me?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.imgur.com/gallery/NgzjJLKO
danielbayn.com/wushu/
youtube.com/watch?v=SgwkLRCtFBA
kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31707
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't give a shit about waifus, but if you're into that stuff then this genre basically got around to inventing them before Japan did.

This was a fun Let's Play.

Not ALL wuxia romances begin with violence but...kinda a lot of them do?

Teach your kid kingfu at an early age, so he can grow and develop his strength rapidly and avenge your gruesome death at the hands of you rivals whom you slighted years ago and then maybe bang and marry your rival's daughter or something.

Just like his pa did!

I think the hardest part of the genre is explaining it to people.
It's like trying to explain why witches fly on brooms; because...they just do and it's always been that way and without the cultural backround it makes no sense I guess?

The clothes these people wear must cost more then their houses and swords do, so swear.

I prefer xianxia myself, but wuxia's cool too. Too bad there's not a good rpg system for either one.

Subjective, but acceptable.
Xianxia's just too much like regular fantasy but with "Asian flavors" added it; it's not structurally different enough for me to catch my interest.

Legends of the Wulin is my favourite system for Wuxia stuff, but it comes with a hefty set of caveats.

Once you get to the game? It's fucking wonderful. Not a system for everyone, but a unique blend of narrativism and crunch that really captures the essence of Wuxia for me, putting conflict at the center of its storytelling and making every fight about so much more than just winning and losing.

To get there go? Fuck, it's a drag. Godawful editing, confusing and inconsistent rules, a layout designed by a lunatic, or possibly one concealing the secrets of an ancient Kung fu scroll... The barrier to entry is way, way higher than it needs to be, and it's a damn shame.

For bonus points, the publisher imploded after the chinese half of the company ran away with all the money, so there's that.

I hate to say it, but a LOT of Chinese companies are like that.
The business environment there is fucking cutthroat.

Has anyone tried Heroes of Ogre's Gate? I'd hope it lives up to the promise Legends of the Wulin made.
How so? It's got uniquely chinese concepts of cultivation, weird ideas about magic, the cosmos, and how the world functions. Have you read I Shall Seal the Heavens? Despite having quite a bit of filler text (didn't know whether to laugh or cry, ect), it's a pretty good story. Especially before he becomes basically untouchably OP, which is sadly the final fate of all those stories.

>How so?
I like wuxia because it's fantasy about human beings and their stories. The narrative structure is different and the sorts of stories you tell are different.
Xianxia has a lot of the usual "defeat the dark god" stuff driving the plot, albeit with kungfu powering people.

Though Xianxia does sometimes have self-decapitating puppets, and I don't DISLIKE xianxia, certainly.

God that show was fucking nuts.
m.imgur.com/gallery/NgzjJLKO
Glad it's getting a second season.

I've heard Ogre Gate mentioned, but never been able to find a pdf or any indication of what the mechanics are like.

Whats the best system for some old late 70s - 80s kung fu wackiness

Let me tell you about my Wushu addiction. If you take chi damage, you take a shot. It get fun real fast.

I've heard a lot of good things about Feng Shui. Only played the first edition in a one shot, but it was fun, and apparently the second is pretty great.

I'm going to need a source for that webm user. Sorry that I have nothing to contribute.

Lite: Wushu
Medium: Fate
Heavy: Hero

Can you guys fill me in on Wushu? I've googled around for it before, but the only version I found sounds like it's incomplete, given how people have described it.

The only mechanic in the Wushu I found was both sides describing actions and adding dice up to a cap, then rolling dice to see what happens. Is there more to the system than that?

danielbayn.com/wushu/
Heres the link.

The way I like to play it involves switching up the character creation a bit. Basically, you get 3 traits, your Job, hobby and history. Rate those at good, great or amazing. then you get 3 kungfus.

I like the game because in the way I described above it's really easy to make a character and have their background influence what you can do in game. And no, there's nothing more to the system. Its great for short descriptive games that can entice new players into being better roleplayers. It fails in longer running more tactical RPGs. If you want a fun system to have over drinks, this is the best. Hands down.

Wushu is nearly as light as Risus. If that level is your bag then have at it but if not then its core concept might amuse you for a game or two before you want more. Let me see if I have the old "WushuOpen" rules.

It's also one of the absolute best games for running JoJo .

I'm okay with light, but beyond a certain point a lack of mechanical choice kinda bores me.

This seems interesting though, it's certainly more than the version I saw before. Thanks for the link.

Im going to be running a paranormal adventure using it specifically because I want the players to have fun with the mystical magic in the game.

For rules I was thinking any Magic kungfus will always be rated "good" and if you fail at it you get a 30 percent chance of taking damage. but! you can spend a chi point to get a pump up to great and an extra die, or two chi for two extra dice and an amazing ratting. It should keep the game interesting.

Wushu does seem like a core set of rules with lots of customizable potential. Kind of like how Risus has lots of extra rules you can tack on.

Exactly! I also like how all damage gets put onto one track, so you can demoralize a person into submission or just cute them up. it kind of puts all character archetypes onto the same playing field

Oh hey, this thread is still here!
Fun stuff!

Kung-Fu vs Yoga 1979
Here's a shitty version of it on youtube
youtube.com/watch?v=SgwkLRCtFBA

Good ol' wu tang.

I found Oriental Adventures for D&DA in a bookstore the other day and brought it home.

Man I wish there was a Wushu fan community.

I know right? Any time anyone brings it up on this board they get treated like trash because its not super mechanically complex. But I've never had more fun then getting my firneds to describe how they used their "five iron frenzy technique" to beat up some ninjas.

Maybe tomorrow I'll start a Wushu thread for the hell of it. See where it goes.

Reminds me of a few years back when DBZ Veeky Forums threads were hot that I realized Wushu works great for Dragonball Z.

Please. please do it. I will pay you in (You)s

every time DBZ is mentioned in a wuxia thread
kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31707

ok so you know those names in Wuxia films? like how its about a technique or a weapon style or a body part? is there a site that does translations into that style?

I've got some 20odd names that need translating.

No love for Qin? Perhaps it's designed to be a bit more semi-historical for most people's tastes?

I've been waiting for a thread like this to come up so I can ask; is there any way to have/do a western wuxia game, or have western elements in a traditionally Chinese (or fantasy equivalent) wuxia setting? Or have you done anything like that?
I've seen it mentioned here and there in other, previous threads - mostly in the form of having something like an Italian fencing master being part of the mini-boss/rival team the PCs face off against, or something like that, but I just wanted to ask.

In chinese medical belief about sexual relationships that if either the man or woman's chi was signifigantly stronger than the other's, then the weaker one would suffer health problems. Not an issue for normal people, but for Wuxia heroes, they need to find someone about as strong as themselves, and the only way to determine that is by fighting.

Just a tip for that book: the samurai class in it is meant to be a one-level dip, there's no reason to continue taking levels as a samurai after the first, just multiclass.

I was looking over this post I was thinking that we might be able to adapt Vampire the masquerade to make an awesome Wuxian game. Then I realized we have exalted.

currently trying to base the dragonborn race off of wuxia chinese culture. The lands are divided and ruled over by draconic warlords, who were once dragonborn themselves, but have ascended beyond. Each dragonborn has a spark of divinity within them since they were born from the pearls of the God Dragon who they all worship and wish to be like in their own way. really need to do more reading up on wuxia in general. Personally I have a huge love for this shit user so keep posting away.