What would you have done differently?

With Father's Day behind us, I find myself wondering: what would the anons of Veeky Forums have done to be better parents and/or commanding officers to the Primarchs, especially the Traitors.

I'll share my own ideas in a bit; for now I need to go provide for my family.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KUwjNBjqR-c
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I would have been honest with them.

>Would've killed Erebus and Kor Faeron, and had a big talk with Lorgar about manipulation and him being an easily manipulated retard. >Would lead mankind to the most noblebright setting possible.
>Play some videogames and drink beer with malcador

Actually treated them as sons instead of tools. Been honest with them. Tried to deal with the whole Angron issue better. Talked things through with Lorgar properly. Done something about Erebus and Kor Phaeron. Encouraged Konrad Curze to put up a real government on his homeworld. Actually taught the people about daemons and shit instead of keeping them hidden. Chilled a bit.

Try to fix lorgars daddy issues and try to stop the bullying

OP here. So far your ideas seem similar to my own in the broad strokes: I would've been honest with the Primarchs about my webway plans, and about the existence of Chaos.

For the individual traitors:
>Fulgrim
Honestly not sure what I could do with him. Maybe get in some more face-to-face time and gently remind him that perfection is impossible.

>Perturabo
Definite emphasis on perfection being impossible; decimating his own Legion was NOT okay. I'd also do my best to keep the rivalry between him and Dorn friendly, using one for Conquest A and then the other for Conquest B. Try to give their Legions equal amounts of spotlight.

>Konrad Curze
A good chunk of his issues came from his visions, so hopefully my being a less-shit dad would negate those. Whether or not they would, I'd advise him to keep a garrison of Night Lords on Nostramo to keep the place from slipping back into lawlessness.

>Angron
I've heard some say that the Emperor left Angron's slave buddies behind because he suspected Khorne's taint in them. If I suspected the same, I'd let Angron die with his pals. Then perform Exterminatus to be sure. I'd fold the XII Legion into the smaller ones, the way it's implied the Emperor did with II and XI.

If I didn't suspect Khorne's hand in things, I'd offer to help Angron out. Just me, no Custodes. If he accepted, I'd hopefully gain his loyalty between that and a careful spinning of Imperial ideals. If so, I'd get his brain fixed or put him down. He's too dangerous as is. If he declined my offer of help, I'd let him fight it out. If he lived, I'd try my sales pitch. If he refused at that point, I'd kill the planet.

>Mortarion
Instead of kill-stealing, I'd offer to help him. If he accepts, we're buds. If not, I let him die. A warrior with too much pride makes a poor soldier.

1 of 2

2 of 2

>Magnus the Red
Honesty, honesty, honesty. I'd lay out EXACTLY why fucking around with sorcery was dangerous, and tell him to keep to non-sorcerous psychic stuff. To sweeten the deal, I'd put him in charge of the Librarium project for all Legions. I'd also be crystal clear: if I catch any of his sons fucking with sorcery, all of them die, including him.

>Horus Lupercal
I'd never make a Warmaster, him or otherwise. Instead I'd distribute power among them equally (mostly). Between that and the honesty, he should be okay. Good kid.

>Lorgar Aurelian
I'd have a serious talk with him about Chaos and why religion is dangerous. Then hash out a plan wherein he dials back the Emperor-worship, polices the galaxy against Chaos, and keeps an eye on the souls of his brothers and nephews via Chaplains. Also I'd tell him to speed up his conquests. Kid has a bigass Legion.

>Alpharius/Omegon
Pretty loyal as-is. I'd also tell him/them t infiltrate the other Legions and spy on them for me.

I'd have told Alpharius and Omegon my TRUE secret plan and put them in charge of carrying it out.

Oh wait, you said differently.

>>Angron
>I've heard some say that the Emperor left Angron's slave buddies behind because he suspected Khorne's taint in them. If I suspected the same, I'd let Angron die with his pals. Then perform Exterminatus to be sure. I'd fold the XII Legion into the smaller ones, the way it's implied the Emperor did with II and XI.
>
>If I didn't suspect Khorne's hand in things, I'd offer to help Angron out. Just me, no Custodes. If he accepted, I'd hopefully gain his loyalty between that and a careful spinning of Imperial ideals. If so, I'd get his brain fixed or put him down. He's too dangerous as is. If he declined my offer of help, I'd let him fight it out. If he lived, I'd try my sales pitch. If he refused at that point, I'd kill the planet.

One issue for you to consider it's that the planet have already made contact with the Imperium and was joining it peacefully while Angron was preparing for the last battle.

Ah, crap, I'd forgotten that part.

Even so, though, if I suspected a heavy Khornate influence I would've had to give them a fireworks show, for he sake of the rest of the Imperium.

The traitor primarchs were tainted or afflicted before emps got to them. I'd say emps did nothing wrong.

Not let ADB write a book about me.
Or

>ITT: people who think Big E just sat around twiddling his thumbs and had spare time to think about his demigod sons' feewees

Don't let Lorgar ruin everything, actually be nice to Horus (the latter might not matter since by the end he was essentially a living avatar of all 4 chaos gods)

>don't stop your autistic sons from being mean to each other
>one of the tries to kill yfeelingsard beign a single dad

I would have been a gorham father to my sons, maybe keeped them around more often you now, together. Like a family. Then I would have gotten a wife or mother like substitute, even if that means asking Malcore to suck it up and take one for the team. The kids need someone they can actually talk to and maybe that means talking about their daddy issues with their mom.

>literally have the fate of your entire species on your shoulders
>race against the clock, every second of delay is potentially another dead world
>against all odds everything is going well
>your autistic sons almost destroy everything you worked so hard for because you didn't have time to tuck them in while being galactic messiah

Tell Dorn to fortify your defenses

I feel like Cats in the Cradle is saddly relevant. Emps and the boys are actually reallly tragic. He may be a walking god but his plans are fucked up because he didnt treat his kids as human.
youtube.com/watch?v=KUwjNBjqR-c

>he didnt treat his kids as human
>my son is a century old super intelligent demigod
>i assume this entails a level of personal responsibility and self control

I'd just make a lot of sentient robot waifus.

Don't be the universe's worst dad is a start

>demigod
>level of personal responsibility and self control

>Hey, son, i, the most glorious and powerful being you have ever seen, am in fact your dad!
>You have this amazing destiny where you're basically one of the messiahs of your entire species!
>Here's a custom set of supremely powerful armor and weapons, an army of servants of all manners to do your every bidding, and an entire Legion of sons of your own who all love and revere you!
>And an entire fleet!
>And your very own planet!
>Now go kick some xeno ass!

>WAAAAAH I HATE YOU DAD!

>W-What?

Yeah, and half of them had shit childhoods. Also, are you saying they weren't human, or didn't deserve to be treated as human? Because that would be a pretty terrible weight to place on anyone.

He should have set a good personal example rather then telling them to go out and conquer in his name. I mean, shit buad, they all grew up super quick as well. None of them even got to time be a kid, they all went off and tried to save their respective worlds.

Let me re-write this for you:

>Hey, son, i, the most talented and rich businessman/actor/philanthropist you have ever seen, am in fact your dad!
>You have this amazing destiny where you're basically one of the messiahs of your entire species!
>Here's a custom sports car, tons of cash, an army of servants of all manners to do your every bidding, and an entire Legion of fans of your own who all love and revere you!
>And an entire company!
>And your very own mansion!
>Now go win some oscars!

>WAAAAAH I HATE YOU DAD!

>W-What?

>>Hey, son, i, the most glorious and powerful being you have ever seen, am in fact your dad!
>>You have this amazing destiny where you're basically one of the messiahs of your entire species!
>>Here's a custom set of supremely powerful armor and weapons, an army of servants of all manners to do your every bidding, and an entire Legion of sons of your own who all love and revere you!
>>And an entire fleet!
>>And your very own planet!
>>Now go kick some xeno ass!
Which I'm gonna let you do for two hundred years without comment, then blow up your favorite city and psychically force you and your entire Legion to kneel to me and that one brother who annoys the fuck out of you, to tell you you've been fucking up all this time.

>>WAAAAAH I HATE YOU DAD!
>>W-What?

Challenge Angron to single combat. He'd respect that. Save his friends or at least some of them. Try and negotiate a ceasefire. If that fails he's going the way of the II and the XI

For Fulgrim and maybe his sons in general, just talk about Chaos and maybe lighten up in the xenophobia. Both Fulgrim and Horus are pretty good and similar to Guilliman but went Traitor after coming into contact with chaos artifacts. Fulgrim probably could've been saved if he had known about the perverse nature and Slaanesh and perhaps even if he had listened to Eldrad Ulthran but he didn't in large part due to his adherence to the imperial truth and its xenophobia.

>Honestly not sure what I could do with him. Maybe get in some more face-to-face time and gently remind him that perfection is impossible.

Fulgrim focuses on becoming as perfect as possible and falls to Slaanesh.

>Definite emphasis on perfection being impossible; decimating his own Legion was NOT okay. I'd also do my best to keep the rivalry between him and Dorn friendly, using one for Conquest A and then the other for Conquest B. Try to give their Legions equal amounts of spotlight.

They fight over table scraps and Perturabo becomes even more hardened as a result. Continually trying to outdo one another, both fall to Chaos.
>A good chunk of his issues came from his visions, so hopefully my being a less-shit dad would negate those. Whether or not they would, I'd advise him to keep a garrison of Night Lords on Nostramo to keep the place from slipping back into lawlessness.
Due to all the other fuckery about to occur, his visions actually get worse. The Night Lords he left behind descend into degeneracy and tribalism and he loses all faith in the Imperium.
> I'd offer to help Angron out. Just me, no Custodes. If he accepted, I'd hopefully gain his loyalty between that and a careful spinning of Imperial ideals.
Angron accepts and takes your brain surgery. He is one of the few Primarchs to remain loyal in the new Heresy.
>I'd offer to help him. If he accepts, we're buds.
Mortarian accepts the offer and his daddy issues become worse as one daddy kills the other. His legion are tainted by choice, not betrayal. #fuckthepolice
>Honesty, honesty, honesty.
JUST AS PLANNED! Curiosity kills this cat as he believes you must be hiding one last secret. He accidentallys the Imperium, all at once.
>Instead I'd distribute power among them equally (mostly).
Jealousy and anger flare. Horus, clearly the most capable, resents his father for failing to elevate him to his naturally deserved position. He revolts of his own will.

Perhaps try looking at it this way: the Emperor felt he had a need of beings like the Primarchs. We know that he made not insignificant investments in their creation. Now, considering everything he poured into creating the Primarchs, do you still not think it's worth his time to take more time to ensure that his investment pays off? And not just the investment in them, but in the entire Imperium project.

Angron's brain couldn't be fixed without killing him. You'd have to put him down.

Now I want a shitty shoop of Old Yeller with Angron's face.

>Horus, clearly the most capable, resents his father for failing to elevate him to his naturally deserved position

Horus never wanted it. Deep down he saw Sanguinius as the better choice.

>No, Malcador.
>There's no hope for him now, my Lord. He's suffering. You know we've got to do it.
>Yes, Malcador. But he was my son. I'll do it.

>Which I'm gonna let you do for two hundred years without comment
Pretty sure He did comment on it a few times, and The Emperor had no idea just how far was Lorgar going. It's made very clear that He's extremely disturbed when He finally looks into it and sees the cult Lorgar is building.
>then blow up your favorite city
Which was an abomination in his eyes, and went against everything he taught Lorgar.
Also, you're forgetting Big E is human, too. Seeing an entire shrine city dedicated to Him most likely made His stomach turn. It's probably the biggest insult He could have been dealt, and worse, a mockery of everything He stands for.
>and psychically force you and your entire Legion to kneel to me
Agel Tal, the guy about whose defiant spirit and refusal to surrender a huge deal was made with his mother and backstory and whatnot basically went
>NO, THIS IS SLAVERY, THIS IS WRO- oh, wait, what am i mad about, of course we're gonna kneel in front of The Emperor.
And no, there was no influence of any kind.
>and that one brother who annoys the fuck out of you
Tough shit, i guess?
>to tell you you've been fucking up all this time
Because His previous warnings and the Truth Lorgar was supposed to preach weren't doing a goon enough job, apparently.

>They fight over table scraps and Perturabo becomes even more hardened as a result. Continually trying to outdo one another, both fall to Chaos.
Do you know ANYTHING about Dorn and The Fists? Rogal would have given up glory to Perturabo in a HEARTBEAT if his father asked him to. Because everything he did, he did out of loyalty. And THAT'S why The Emperor relied on him. Because Perturabo is the man who does his best for glory. Rogal is the man who does his best because it's what he believes is the right thing to do.

>there was no influence of any kind.
Okay now you're just blinding yourself to the truth. The Emperor used that LOVE ME aura left and right. You couldn't tell from the sudden, jarring change in Argel Tal's thoughts that Emps was mind-fucking him?

I wouldn't have purged the 2nd and 11th primarchs from memory.
90% of the daddy issues the primarchs have stem from the fear of being wiped out by the Emps.

A second later, Argel gets pissed again because he noticed that they're forced to kneel in front of The Ultramarines as well. If he was under influence, he wouldn't have reacted to that, at least not as fast as he did.
>LOVE ME aura
It's a passive effect from his overwhelming power. Also
>stand in the presence of the most glorious, majestic and powerful being conceivable
>be enveloped and run through by the faint echoes of his unmatched power and majesty
>feel, realize, understand and comprehend that his power is without equal, his wisdom without question, his knowledge without peer, and his love for you and your whole species without limit
>not immediately fall on tour knees and start worshiping him

>mfw he found them but they were dead/fucked up beyond hope
>mfw he was secretly in mourning for his boys
>mfw everyone got it wrong

>his wisdom without question
o i m laffin

>t.Tzeentch

At this point in the lore, is there actually any difference left between psychic powers and sorcery? I thought there was no barrier anymore.

While living through the 20th century, make sure to kill ABD's birth father and hook him up with a family that isn't shit.
It'll pay off dividends.

I would have a bigger family.

Psychic powers: shit you do with your own mind. Influencing the world around you by channeling the energies of the warp through your mind, limited by the strength of your will.
Sorcery: channeling the power of the warp through ritual for a very specific purpose. Limited by skill, knowledge and precision of the execution of the ritual.

Or maybe, you know, just not let him write the loyalists? I get what happened to him, and it sucks, but i don't need to be party to his fucking public therapy.

In the books it is quite sad how much of a nice guy Horus was and Chaos sneaked it's way into his mind and bent his idealism into traitorous madness.

Also, fuck Erebus.

I dunno, we're skirting the Meta-Fictional Rules by having the Emperor mess with GW employees' lives at all; having him just fuck with the lore so they write him to be a better father seems a step too far.

Honestly, it's the worst fucking part of the Heresy to me.
I get that they're trying to altar things in the HH so that it's everyone's fault; their various failings and hubrises, loyalist and traitor alike, are responsible for causing shit to go south.
And yet, AND YET, the guy that the fucking war is named after has no agency whatsoever in his fall! It's shit-DM tier stuff.
So, the Council of Nikea isn't *quite* as hypocritical as I thought? Just because every legion has psychics, (and just because Emps himself is a psychic), doesn't mean they have sorcerers?

Allow worship of me
Give Angron a glorious death upon discovering how broken he is
Make Curze see a therapist

>
So, the Council of Nikea isn't *quite* as hypocritical as I thought? Just because every legion has psychics, (and just because Emps himself is a psychic), doesn't mean they have sorcerers?

The Space Wolves' hand in it is still hypocritical, and it still broke up the Librarium and banned all psychic powers, not just sorcery.

Killed Erebus/Kor Phaeron/Typhus

Kept the Primarchs on a short leash

Then take his out and put Malcadors in.

Moral of the thread: you'll be a shitty dad, whoever you are, no matter what millennium you were born or are currently in. Doesn't matter if you were a demigod, or an anonymous poster.

>Dedicate more time to being honest and open with Lorgar and explaining how religion has influenced him his whole life but he is so much more than that
>Explain the warp better
>Tell Magnus why the warp is dangerous
>Give Perty more attention
>Instead of beaming Angron off world, fight side by side with my son against his captors, bring his legion to reinforce his rebels and retake his planet

Honestly?
I'd go into the Warp, find Gork n' Mork, and ask: "Pardon me, but where's the nearest Ork world? My sons and I are looking for a good place to fight."

Think Ullanor, but used over and over again as team-building exercises and establishing a better father-son bond between him and his sons.

Gork and Mork would probably be okay with this too, since a fight's a fight, and the stronger the opponent, the better the fight. Can't get much stronger than Emps and his sons.