Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/ModernMagic/comments/4icokv/my_list_of_100_budget_modern_decks/
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-ojutai-control-36973#paper
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>playing Mardu Control

>hating burn

>I really need to get copies of leyline of sanctity

Reposting here

Are any of the budget options in here a good place for a scrub to start up?
reddit.com/r/ModernMagic/comments/4icokv/my_list_of_100_budget_modern_decks/

What sort of stuff can i do with all the small/medium stuff from affinity? im getting a seeker tezzeret and have a inspiring stauary, i was thinking esper control but i dunno

i have Orinopter, Signal pest, etched champion, Master of etherium, and memnite. i was thinking of getting sme small cannon fodder stuff so i can use them to throw out big doods with IS

>playing infect
>hating affinity
>really hate chalice of the void

>no standard general
is it that bad right now?

lol

i would say it was when temur atherworks was a thing. but atherworks is banned now. desu i dunno whats at the core of that dumb format

>playing bogles
>not really hating anything, maybe skred red
>dat blood moon tho

Looking to build elves. Just built a budget mono-black devotion deck, but it's not competitive at all.

>UW Spirits (Scotsman's budget)
>I don't know.
Only played against Grixis Shadow (challenging, but fair, 3W/2L)
Sun & Moon (Not very hard, but only played, 2W0L)
Burn (pressuring, but don't hate, 3W/4L)
U-Tron (not very hard, but it was budget like mine, 3W/0L)
Bant Eldrazi (Not as hand-rapey as Grixis Shadow, not too hard, 2W/0L)
>Should I be worried about Eldrazi Tron, G/x Tron, or Affinity? I have 2 Ceremonious Rejection, 2 Kataki, 2 Disenchant, and even a Fragmentize.

>playing bogles
kys

>playing
Affinity, Cheeri0s, Dredge
>hating
Sun and Moon, Tron, Storm
>etc
Feels good

>thinking about selling my karns/ugins and buying into something fun/cheaper to play on the side
>but sentimental value
>but cash

>first time I hear of sun and moon
>thought it was some weird deck featuring wheel of sun and moon
>tfw

Every time I read anything with "moon" in the name it's just some control deck with blood moon stuffed into it, fuck.

so what can actually beat all the E-Tron and Grixis Shadow decks running around?

Affinity, but you have to run artifact hate for their O stones.

I'd keep them. Karn is only rising in price anyways, and if you sell him now you will regret it later.

How is Jeskai control holding up?
What are the tier 1 decks besides shadow and tron?

taking turns

____:^)______

unless he's reprinted....

I've been working on building a lot of new decks lately, and it's become something of a hobby... Moreso than actually playing them, since most of the decks I don't even own the cards for. I'd like to be able to build decks during break at work, but the place I work doesn't have wifi in the breakroom so I can't access online card databases.

Do any of you have recommendations for downloadable card databases, preferably some kind of program with a good search function? That's really all the functionality I need, anything else like making proxy sheets or being able to make a deck list within the program is bells and whistles I'll never use.

If he is reprinted it will be in a masters set. That means he will go down by maybe 10 to 20 bucks and start rising in price slowly afterwards again.

I mean check out his price history, the reprint in MM2 had almost no effect at all.

3-0'd (two games post board) a Grixis Shadow deck today with my Merfolk today. Is this actually a good matchup or did I just get lucky? Haven't played modern in a while.

The reprints aren't for a permanent price drop, they're a short sale on the cards that get reprinted :^)

catch me @ tournaments, releasing a tupperware container full of grasshoppers on the table when I play this card

What are you gonna play him in?

Tribals do very well against DS. Basically you just chump block and swing big on his small lifetotal.

I actually get out a bowl of Cheerio's and use them at my storm counters.

why do you have a container full of grasshoppers

how else are you supposed to summon the tokens?

I like the way you think

you don't?

with the insect tokens they'll probably make?
I don't know where to get so many grasshoppers

Pet store. They sell them for geckos to eat.

Why the fuck does his face look like a silver knight helmet

>Play Wurmcoil Engine
>It dies in combat
>Reach into bag and put 2 mealworms into play
>Opponent freaks out
>You, in an understanding manner realize they are upset because they don't know which has lifelink and which has deathtouch
>Label them for that guy and continue play
>Guy calls judge
>Get thrown out for mislabeling my Wurmcoil tokens, wtf?
That Judge thread please

>cast hornet queen
>use real hornets as the tokens

Magic on a whole new level

>Voice of Resurgence dies
>put my bonsai tree on the table as the token

>he doesn't literally poison his opponent when he does infect damage
Get on my level

>not coating one of their lands in a transdermal toxin and refusing to cut their deck

>cast rite of replication on opponent's wurmcoil engine
>put a token that's a live worm into play
>opponent doom blades it
>cut it in half, label the half-worms with lifelink and deathtouch

Part of the fun is making sure they don't fly off and fuck other people's games up.

>cast Skullcrack
>smash a club over the opponent's head
>opponent can't do anything about it since the damage can't be prevented

>cast lightning bolt at opponent
>mike pence the shit outta that guy

>Hostile Desert
>Land - Desert
>{T}: add {C} to your mana pool.
>{2}, exile a land card from your graveyard: ~ becomes a 3/4 element creature until end of turn. It is still land.
>"Mutavault was a mistake. Here is the correction." -Nicky B

The translation might be off a little bit

Turrible... just turrible

mutavault is super OP whenever it's in standard though. I for one am glad they decide to keep broken cards like lightning strike and mana leak out of standard in favor of more balanced cards for a more enjoyable play experience.

YOUR TIME IS UP MY TIME IS NOW

What essential card should I put in a ub mill deck?

mindbreak trap

20 copies of mindbreak trap but never play more than 4

That new 2U curse card looks legit. Doubles every mill spell, and mills 1 for each card that makes it into your opponent's GY naturally (spell cast, creature dies, etc)
>At the beginning of each end step, enchanted player puts the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard, where X is the total number of cards put into his or her graveyard this turn.

I'm actually fairly impressed by this, and it should definitely be tested.
Normally an effect like this would be pretty shit, but inbetween basic actions (bolts cast, fetches played, etc.) and the fact that mill has a lot of accumulative milling (crab, mesm orb, scribe), not to mention a timely Trap, it could provide a hefty punch off the bat.

still waiting for the timebro from last thread to share lists, i double plomise not to steal it.

here's my list, often end up jamming Beleren because he's my home boy and Inkmoth is for dirty roboscub

Would throwing together a BR Delver be a good budget start towards Grixis? I want to play with Bone Picker too much.

Did everyone just forget this card exists? You don't even need to run a mill shell at all. This + Traumatize is a win every time. Just run it in a control shell. Two card combos are good.

>BR Delver
How do you play Delver without Blue?

Also DSG is just better than Delver now.

If they have an odd number of cards in their deck the combo will leave them with one card left, and one more turn to kill you.

If nothing hit their yard in addition, sure

Er, UB, I meant. I blame the heat wave. And I know ds is better, but I'm on a budget and will have to upgrade piecemeal

Hating Skred Red? Why?

I think for a budget deck it might be better to just run straight UB Control, or build UR Delver. Delver really wants to be in the same deck as bolt, and discard is always negative tempo, even if it is efficient.

>mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-ojutai-control-36973#paper
This deck really got me wanting to make a heavier dragon theme UWx deck. Can an esper dragons list actually exist? Scorn seems so good, but hand hate + snap in DS being so prevalent right now seems too disruptive for it at the moment... Any thoughts?

I need your opinion, should i china men karn our keep playing my eldratron without him and chalice?

I haven't played for about 2 years, since zendikar came out I think
Is coco elves still good? Is living end a deck? I really don't want to buy another deck, but I'm fine with adding stuff to my decks.

you should click the first link in the op

I want opinions from people on the general strength of the decks overall. I can do that, but what context do I get?

Short, tired answer, yes. Coco is good

Living end is still a deck, and just got an upgrade from new cycling creatures in the most recent set. They're pretty cheap because they're common cycling creatures too. The deck is probably the best it's ever been meta wise, on the upper end of tier 2.

>china men Karn

If you don't mind getting disqualified at events

I took a deck with half it's cards as proxies to GP Vegas. They never got checked and no one ever called me out on them.

They have to be extra shitty to be caught. Not even the vendors could say for sure if they were proxies.

Blood Moon mostly

>want to pick up the rest of dredge
> $400 for the rest
Jesus christ

I hope you'll paint them blue/red at least

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SOMEBODY SCREENCAP THIS. MY BUTTON IS BROKEN

>burn with 1 mb deflecting palm and thunderous wrath
>shadow decks because they rape my hand

I'm a bit confused about these
I'm thinking you only get 2 mana with Gift and Verdant, but 3 mana for overgrowth? Can anyone clarify?

Not too keen on spending so much money on scalding tarns, would substituting them with wooded foothills be a mistake or is it passable?..

Yes it's 2 with gift and verdant, and 3 with overgrowth. Read the cards, it's pretty straight forward.

Depends on the deck. If you're mostly red, then sure. If you have blue then it's gonna be worse, but playable.

yes, that's how they work. the first will let your land produce two mana, and overgrowth allows for a total of 3 mana. specifically, the first gives the land a brand new activated ability that lets it tap for two mana, the others trigger when you tap it for mana and produce additional mana.

You could put gift of paradise on a land that doesn't normally produce mana (like pic related) and it would be able to tap to produce mana, but the other enchantments would basically do nothing because the land doesn't have a natural mana ability.

Mostly red/black so I guess it's fine? Blue just for snapcaster/tasigur activations. and serum visions.

As someone who still plays with Utopia Sprawl, this is correct. Overgrowth's ability does not replace the enchanted land's ability: for example tapping a Mountain enchanted with Overgrowth gives you RGG.

Gift of Paradise adds an alternative ability that taps for two mana, and Verdant Haven is similar to Overgrowth and Utopia Sprawl in that it triggers when you tap for mana, meaning you end up producing two mana.

If you want an ability like this in modern Sprawl is your best bet. You should be playing things early for 3-4 mana, not waiting around until you have 3 mana to start ramping.

Might as well just get Deltas and Mires
If you still need more fetches get a Foothill or two

>plays meme deck
>hates burn
The scrubbiest

>playing
Boros prison
>hating
E&T

Been shitting on all storm, burn, tron, coco, affinity, grixis/jund shadow, but I got paired against 2 E&T back to back to end the night at a local tourney 2-2.

How do we make Dredgevine work

is thopersword still a thing?

it's just a worse version of dredge, no point in trying to make it work

>>>/reddit/

It is legal to play that combo in modern. It's not currently a tiered deck, though.

oh, so it isnt that good?

Shadow of the Grave and lotleth troll, also the new curse thing that auto dredges.

w-why do you hate my deck?

> Playing
Skred Red
> Hating
Tron. Fuck this bullshit deck it needs to have something banned.

Really though Death's Shadow is good because it can out race Tron and it poops on the linear decks that beat Tron. DS is, I think, a very fair deck, but any mid range decks that would prey on it (like my sweet Skred) get absolutely shit on by Tron. Doesn't matter if you can win 60%+ of DS matches if you lose 80% of Tron.

Probably one card away from being serious competitive deck.

oo
What kind of card?

Probably something along the lines
Pay U: Look at top 5 cards, put the colorless card in hand and rest to the bottom of the library. Or anything that's really good turn 1 play to setup your gameplan.

This is a joke right?