Could Veeky Forums please give me a hand?

Could Veeky Forums please give me a hand?

I've been struggling to come with ideas for parasites/symbiotes/icky creatures that live in your body but can "improve" you.

So far I've come with eight of them. If possible, keep it unrelated with magic.
(thx in advance)

Other urls found in this thread:

scpclassic.wikidot.com/scp-029
north-of-reality.tumblr.com/post/144939352895/the-dreamer-squid
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bioluminescent bacteria activate from a region of your body when they receive a stimulus.
Hungry skin mites clear your body of toxins and contaminants quickly.
Tape worm releases steroidal bursts into its host when it senses you are in danger.
Tiny hermit crabs burrow into your teeth to use as shells. They release a painkilling sedative to accomplish this, it's also released when you grit your teeth too hard.
Bone worms build a stronger lattice casing in the outer layers of your bones to make their homes safer.
Spine beetles hijack your nervous system if you're KO'd intending on getting you to safety.

an octopus that completely replaces your skeletal system and turns your body just as rubbery as it is; turning you into a wacky wavy incredible tube arm man/woman. Comes with bonus color changing abilities.

Memory parasites that attach to the brain. Each contains certain memories and, if detached and reatached carefully, can be used to transfer them between hosts. The memories are very detailed and clear, but only when the parasite is attached to the host. Otherwise the host will only have vaguer recollections of them, a memory of a memory.

A disciplined mind can implant a 'blank' newly-spawned parasite with specific memories. There is a limit to how much any single parasite can hold (set by the needs of the plot or setting).

>Tiny hermit crabs burrow into your teeth to use as shells. They release a painkilling sedative to accomplish this, it's also released when you grit your teeth too hard.
That's fucking horrifying

Ear trumpet mushrooms
+ Improved hearing
+ Possibly stylish
- Can't wear headphones
+/- You have mushrooms growing out of your ears.

>parasite
>gives something back to the host
thats not a parasite.

Pretty neat, I give you that.
>symbiotes/icky creatures that live in your body but can "improve" you.
And a symbiotic relationship is when one can't live without the other. In the OP's example, the host can clearly live without a "parasite". What should it be called, then? That's a genuine doubt I've had for years.

Mutualism

THAT'S IT! Many thanks, user.
But, if something that practises parasitism is a parasite and something that practises symbiosis is a symbiote, what is a mutualistic being called?

mutualist.

I don't think there is a specific noun

Patient cordyceps.
Doesn't do much while you're alive other than give you enhanced pain tolerance, injuries recover somewhat faster, though it spreads throughout your body during that time.
Once you die, assuming you've been infected long enough, it brings you back to life shortly after (assuming there's any significant part of your body left). It's you, entirely, with any missing parts replaced with fungal versions, memories painstakingly kept by the parasite.
The difference is that now you've got trailing tendrils spreading cordyceps spores sprouting from your back. And it more actively tries to keep you alive now. Second chance at life, but you've gotta spread your buddy and it kinda inserted an urge to want to do that. It's helpful, after all.
Who doesn't want a second chance?

scpclassic.wikidot.com/scp-029

may I ask why?

I would also like to know why.

There are mutualistic creatures in my setting and they are rather important for the main storyline and for some sidequests. I simply dont think eight of them is enough. If I had ten or twelve, I'd be contented.
A primordial being, for unknown reasons, spouts them from where it lives, the space between the planes (Void). An ancient race of humanoids managed to use them for their own benefit and it turns out two or three of them are still alive. Besides, in order to endure the hostile environment of the Void, they'll need to have a lil' mutualistic thingie helping them because they somehow block a part of the auto-debuffs.

benign microscopic organisms that reside inside the eyeballs. They improve vision somewhat and help your eyes resist irritants, but your eyes do look inhuman for the trouble.

- Sap-like amoeba that infect musculature. Torn or cut tissue sticks together like glued, allowing for faster healing and limited usage of the muscle group
- Tiny pair of microfish that burrows into one's eye socket and lives in the tear-duct, where they meld tofether and regress. It then starts releasing fertilized eggs. Causes tear fluid to become pitch-black but allows for long periods of not blinking and staring into light sources.
- Jellyfish who's offspring can hatch in the breathing apparatus of other beings. It's tendrils spread through lungs and the like and provide improved oxygen conversion.
- Brain-infecting bacteria that can blunt head trauma by way of excess deposits of protein cushions.
- Blot-fly eggs that cause a temperature hyper-sensetivity of skin exposed to the sun.

A creature that eats your heart and replaces it with itself. It continues pumping your blood, receiving sustenanse from it, and is more effective than a real heart and not susceptible to heart conditions.

>fungus
Lives in the joint fluid and helps balance body temperature.
>wasp eggs
Laid in the eyes, they give night vision.
>bacteria
Skin, nail and hair condition, causes random calcification into horns, claws and armor.

north-of-reality.tumblr.com/post/144939352895/the-dreamer-squid

Mutualism and parasitism are both types of symbiosis, where at least one organism needs the other to live. If we're specifically talking mutualism then I guess mutualistic?

Never heard of Rifts I see.