SWAG

I've been away from all things Veeky Forums for a couple of months, and just returned.

So I'm guessing this thing was just a flavor of the month? No threads on Veeky Forums for a long time now.

Shame, I was getting interested.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!m9BTkKCC!7k0JPHqH0hQpcdV9ZjX5CqrHIRR-ujkDsrVKdmDKrcc
mega.nz/#!0tcUTSLI!CbZfDWqYYe0C2sIDLNlHCh1Wj9I6uihERaaGEb6wk3c
games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/ShadowWar/SWA_Killteams_ENG.pdf
games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/ShadowWar/ENG_SWARoster.pdf
17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/40k8_SW_Armageddon_Grab_the_Cache.pdf
warhammer-community.com/2017/05/05/shadow-war-armageddon-your-questions-answered/
warhammer-community.com/2017/05/03/shadow-war-armageddon-one-man-armies/
i.4cdn.org/tg/1496989886284.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If a thread isn't up, just make one. SWA is being heavily overshadowed by 8e right now but there's definitely folk here wishing to discuss it from time to time- just don't expect the threads to get bumped more than once per hourish.

My local scene is currently enjoying utter chaos as we started a league on the 15th and now...8e is out.

I'd play a hell of a lot more if I wasn't a 45 minute drive away from my flgs.

I really like Shadow War; the attachment you get to your squad as they grow through the campaign is great.

My local group is full on 8e right now; no love for Shadow War at all which is disappointing.

What is this even? Modern Necromunda?

Pretty much

Got a rulebook?

Isn't Necromunda basically just the Alpha edition of Dark Heresy?

They're completely different, so no

kicked to the side by 8th
not enough going on in it or for it to demand a large, continuous following

i love SWAG and i kinda hate 8th just because its over shadowing SWAG. i had a cool kill team made up and magnetized everything and never got to use them because 8th.
also why dont guardsmen have heavy weapon teams.

Here's the old OP post, anyone looking to make a thread should copy+pasta this.
>mega.nz/#!m9BTkKCC!7k0JPHqH0hQpcdV9ZjX5CqrHIRR-ujkDsrVKdmDKrcc

>mega.nz/#!0tcUTSLI!CbZfDWqYYe0C2sIDLNlHCh1Wj9I6uihERaaGEb6wk3c

Kill Team rules:
>games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/ShadowWar/SWA_Killteams_ENG.pdf

Blank roster sheet:
>games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/ShadowWar/ENG_SWARoster.pdf

New mission for 3+ players
>17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/40k8_SW_Armageddon_Grab_the_Cache.pdf

FAQ
>warhammer-community.com/2017/05/05/shadow-war-armageddon-your-questions-answered/

One man army stuff
>warhammer-community.com/2017/05/03/shadow-war-armageddon-one-man-armies/

And a link to feel more like Necromunda with underhive gangs i.4cdn.org/tg/1496989886284.pdf

It's the exact same rules as Necromunda, except with different campaign/levelup rules (simplified), and the 40k factions as gangs instead of the old ganger archtypes.

Compatible with Necromunda too.

I rather like it. It's mostly based on the quality of your terrain,. but it's fun. I hope they continue to expand it though.

I've heard a few Necromunda players say the play style is much simpler and more streamlined, but also more limited than the old.
But half are open to the new play style, the other half are hardcore NECROMUNDA-4-LYFE! sorts.

But to agree, from what little I've seen(and played) so far, this game really does need a LOT of terrain. Basically smothering the board in it with bridges and pitfalls everywhere.
It's the only way melee-focused teams can stand a chance.

I think once the new edition craze dies down we are going to see more Shadow War love, no need to be apocalyptic about it. to change the subject to something actually shadow war related, how are people running their scout squads? are you leaning shooty, assaulty, or a balance. originally, I was running a heavy bolter, a bolter bro, and 3 Bolt pistol combat blade scouts. But after some bad luck in some games, I've switched away from the Heavy Bolter in favor of 3 Sniper rifles with chem rounds, and 2 pistol and blade scouts.

Has anyone considered melding this with Inquisimunda? I've been hankering for using some 40k weapons in Inquisimunda, but have thus far lacked the profiles and costs to be represented in-game.

I suppose I could do it, but that'd be a huge pain in the ass to do and I'm not exactly the best at rules.

By chem rounds, do you mean the Toxic Rounds? Or is there another type of ammo I'm missing?

I played a game as Nids against someone who only had one sniper loaded with Toxic Rounds and he made my life pretty miserable, taking out two of my three models(Nids are expensive, 3 wounds each and all). I had my last one charging over to try to finish him, but he bottled before I could.

My current team of Wolf Scouts, dropped a heavy Bolter so I could take a plasma unit and a flamer.

Wrong pic

Toxic rounds are nasty. 3+ to hit for marines and auto wound. 5 - 6 injury roll to see if they go off the table rather than the usual roll of a 6.

Auto-wound makes them very deadly. Especially for the needle pistol, which allows whoever has one (such as Inquisitors, Genestealer Leaders, and Eversors) to auto-wound many attacks in melee...

>It's the only way melee-focused teams can stand a chance.

(you) for truth

Its the lack of rend that kills them tho. most toxic weapons only have a -1

That's not so bad. Auto-wound makes up for it.
The most common saves are 5+ and 6+, so they're inconsequential. Even power armor factions get sent to 4+, which means you're still nearly as good at ranged shooting as a plasma pistol, and superior to a plasma pistol in melee. Against a marine, you're still more powerful than a power sword is, parry aside.

dont get me wrong my sniper always has toxic rounds but I take a plasma pistol and 2 power swords. then try to get the faint skill. turns my guardsman leader into a killing machine in close combat. (with the exception of nids).

people are freaking out over 8th edition right now. Give it time.

GW did the worst thing possible to this and dropped the most hyped edition in a decade like a couple months after shadow war dropped

almost like they were scared of its success and wanted to kill it before people clamored for more skirmish minded stuff

actually i think they didn't think shadow war would be so popular and mostly used it to tied people over till 8th.

>before people clamored for more skirmish minded stuff
nah, they know people want and (more importantly) buy into skirmish stuff

That's why they just put out sigmarine skirmish and are doing sigmarine path to glory. I expect they'll try to do more skirmish for 40k after the initial waves of 8e hype eventually die down.

>It's the exact same rules as Necromunda
No it isn't. The rules are largely the same but there are some variations. For example invulnerable saves, crawling while pinned, different hit modifiers among others.

Ammo rolls are the most relevant change, really.

Game'd be a whole lot more brutal and CC-oriented if they kept the necromunda style in, which I guess is why they changed it.

Are there any homebrew daemon faction rules?

SWAG is pretty cool, but unfortunately even more poorly balanced than most GW stuff.
For example, I think Wyches are an awesome idea for a Killteam, but for the life of me they just seem to be "Harlequins, but worse."
And Genestealer Cultists seem ridiculous for the fact that they're essentially I4 humans who can hide at the start of the game.
Still, if you grab the book and have a few interested friends it's a ton of fun. Just be sure to play it as a campaign, and randomly roll scenarios.
More or less a streamlined Necromunda with all the 40k factions represented as opposed to fun Underhive groups.
Nah. Dark Heresy is straight RP, Necromunda was a skirmish game with some mild RP elements. There's a lot about Necromunda that can inspire DH sessions, but they aren't the same thing. Maybe you're thinking of Inquisitor?
It's a bit silly that Eldar get them, but my take is basically that Guard weapon teams are large and cumbersome and so not ideal for hyper-mobile infiltration teams, while the Eldar weapon platforms can hover/need less care and make less nosie so they get them.
Though honestly, Eldar teams should have been either Rangers or Striking Scorpions. You know. The sneaky parts of their army.
I think they were a little surprised by how popular it was. The boxed game sold out in like ten minutes, right? And it was basically just a way of selling some new terrain kits and getting rid of old plastic sets of Boyz and scouts.
The fact that a stand alone rulebook was something they had to put together later, as opposed to a planned part of the line, is a little telling.
Still, I'm not complaining. I'd love to see more Shadow War stuff, like Shadow War: Cadia, Shadow War: Calixis, maybe Shadow War: Necromunda to really fuck things up!

I'm still pissed with how terribly the book was laid out.

It's without a doubt the most confusingly laid out book I've ever seen for a wargame. We've gotten in a ton of new blood with it and every single one of them (and most of the old players) constantly struggle things in the damn thing. Had we not recieved the league packet with the reference sheets it'd be even worse

The existence as invulnerable saves as a defined thing is a really big deal too.

another note with the genestealers is high leader ship and they get heavy weapon teams.
The guard should have gotten these teams and i'm pissed they haven't

The playstyle is the same. What is different is the campaign style. The Kill Teams aren't autonomous like the old gangs. They are kind of forward operating groups that are probing and foraging for resources.

I think the gangs operate just fine fighting against Kill Teams on the tabletop. But there is always some meat head arguing that because the rules are minutely different Necromunda Gangs can play against SWA Kill Teams.
But as far as physics, mechanics, point costs, most skills, and even a relatively comparable experience progression, the two games are pretty much the same.

Inquisimunda needs some polish, and a believable territory chart for a few weird factions (Eldar and Orks). They also have a subversion/investigation rating system that just doesn't work. Give Inquisimunda an Outlaw chart and I think it would kick ass.

Go back to yaktribe, insurgent.

...Why do you guys keep calling it SWAG? That's the acronym for the thread (Shadow War: Armageddon General). Knock it off already.

opps that i forgot to take off the G idk why.

>even a relatively comparable experience progression
Hahaha, no. Necromunda gangs progress much faster than kill teams in terms of skills and have dramatically higher caps for what their characteristics can get to.

>Old repackaged minis
>Necromunda-lite instead of true Necromunda revival
More like flavor of the week...it doesn't have the same staying power as Blood Bowl

wow i felt the same way about blood bowl. i guess people just have different tastes

you thought blood bowl had old repackaged minis when it was launched???

The fact we're getting anything is fucking incredible. I'll take it.

no i was more of referring to flavor of the week part.

All GW stuff is FotM now.

GW has always been FOTM peddlers, its just usually codex/army book of the month as opposed to game system of the month.

Well... SWAG sounds cuter than SWA.
How would you work in the two-man team aspect of Guard weapon platforms?