MTG Standard General

Format is wide open

anyone see the new white weenie deck? It has a pseudo looping combo with Oketra's Monument, Bygone Bishop, and Aviary Mechanic x2. Your Mechanics end up being one mana 2/2s that makes a token and a clue while bouncing the other one back to do it again.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bolas-grixis-control-3/
mtgtop8.com/event?e=15792&d=296913&f=ST
es.magiccardmarket.eu/Home/Featured_Products
mtggoldfish.com/deck/680399#paper
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The problem is that this deck is dead in a few weeks when Hour of Devastation releases

The same card was common and uncommon in different sets. Very interesting.

Limited

An artifact-centered set having common-level artifact removal so easily would be a huge issue

That's rotating too

It's not rotating when Hour of Devestation comes

Rotation is in september, user!

Restarting the game, and I'm not sure which format to focus on. I know modern is more popular after the bannings where I live, but standard seems so much more affordable.

standard is only more affordable short term. the sets will rotate out and make your cards obsolete and you'll have to buy new deck to keep playing

a good modern deck will pretty much always be playable, and maybe just occasionally require you to pick up a new card that works really well in it.

Why does WotC insist on waiting for the next set to print answers to the previous sets cards.

Seems like it would be far easier to balance your game by just giving all archetypes proper tools instead of having to rely on bans after having months of unhappy players

I do tend to change decks like a motherfucker either way

because you need to sell those packs user.

nobody would have played energy if they printed anti-energy cards in the set.

The real issue is being stupid enough to print cards like marvel in the first place, like they knew they were making another nicol bolas in the block RIGHT AFTER so why even print cards like it.

Hi goyim, I don't see a judge thread.
GP Sydney this week is my first one, it's team sealed. I assume I can bring in tokens, but what about basic lands?

Will Scrapheap Scounger be worth playing with all of this Graveyard hate?

I've been thinking to move towards RG or Jund Gods from BR Madness since it runs both Scounger and Dread Wanderer, and the amount of GY hate that I am seeing right now seems like it would stomp all over my deck , at least much more than it would against a creature build that doesn't rely on the graveyard as much.

Remember user, Legendary is a downside. Just like giving X/-1 toughness on Skullclamp.

People have to actually be playing it for it to matter. There's not really a big graveyard bogeyman around so it's not going to be super prevalent.

What are you guys gonna buy for Hour of Devastation?

I really really think the cards in the set are going to be played in other formats. Should I buy a box? A set of the commons and uncommons?

I only want to spend 150 or so at most. Aren't the full uncommon / common set of 4 like $50?

I'm probably going to end up just buying a box, I guess.

I'm just gonna buy cards for decks, any potential white weenie cards and a bunch of draft entries.

>still puts counters on planeswalkers
>could have been permanents for a much sleeker card

Fucking wotc and their planeswalker hugbox.

this shit + thing in the ice= WOMBO COMBO

This

It's very pathetic reading the second part of this card as they list off every kind of permanent EXCEPT planeswalkers

not really, it will just exile itself and stay in exile

no bounce happens

and it won't even exile until you cast another instant or sorcery

I don't see an ask a judge thread but how does picture related work, rules-wise?

Is it a replacement-effect trigger that targets everything that can do damage? Or does it just quietly do its thing in the background? Gatherer says you can apply it to something being bounced to your planeswalker so I'm not sure.

Would rather read "60% of decks can't play"

>the entire concept of planeswalkers relies on a specific counter
>thinking printing a 3 mana card that shuts down an entire card type is a good idea

Piss off

Shatter was a common in SoM and it wasn't a huge issue

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bolas-grixis-control-3/

Well we finally have a Bolas so here's my shot at a Grixis Tapout Control variant.

The Calculated dismissals are subbing for Supreme Will.

Whenever something deals damage to you, it deals that damage minus 1 instead. It is a replacement effect. It doesn't target anything. There's no trigger to be responded to. It simply changes how cards that deal damage work.

And it won't exile cause flip cards don't exile to flip, only the walkers.

The reason it won't work is cause a card can't flip if it's not a DFC

A sphinx tribal.... there are like 3 sphinx in tottal in standard, no?

Why is this 5 cmc? It's unplayable even in limited.
Why not make it competitive and make it cost 2? Or even 1? Maybe then that card that can't win you the game would be playable.

>3 mana card that shuts down an already pushed card type that has few answers is a bad thing
And it STILL wouldn't be competitive enough even if it shut down planeswalkers too.

>Not Esper colours
I really want to play Enigma Sphinx with that cost reduction. He's still sweet though.

>make it cost 2 or 1
>fucking 2 or 1
Never design a magic set user.

>Can't win you the game
>Puts you a turn behind doing nothing proactive
Though you I forgot that it's could stack.
Still too expensive though.

It's an EDH plant. He's way too expensive to ever matter in standard.

So, will this be playable?

>dies to Harnessed Lightning before bringing any value to the table

Maybe post-rotation when most of Innistrad Power-Houses leaves.

People aren't going to side in GY hate to deal with something like scrapheap scounger or dread wanderer - they're far more likely to use magma spray.
The only time you'd want to board in the GY hate is for against things like delirium.

Behold the Beyond had such good art, why did they have to make it such a bad card?

>In the same standard as Eldrazi Displacer and Panharmonicon
We must break this

Could have been good at BBB sorcery (with life loss or something) or 2BB instant. Maybe really strong.... But hey whats the fun in weakass cards.

>BBB
Not with dark ritual existing, 5 mana is the minimum that card could be

How do i not get my ass whooped everytime i get a UR Control matchup on my Zombies?

I'd say four if ALL of it was black

How shit would a weird junk deck running Solemnity and a bunch of those undercosted "comes into play, a creature gains a -1/-1 counter" creatures be?

can they even come into play?

Yeah, just nobody would gain a counter. Same deal with Persist/Undying in Modern, I'd think. Not as if they sac if you don't

Oh right, ETB is a consequence, not a condition.

Admittedly, it takes some utility off of cards like pic related, but a 3/4 for 2 isn't bad at all

>forgot pic

What do you think of the New Perspective combo deck ? I playtested it online for a bit and it's a lot of fun, I'm thinking of buying it for FNMs since it's dirt cheap right now and isn't loosing any key piece after HOU releases.

Also, I was thinking about cutting Approach since it's the only white card and run Drake Haven and or Faith of the Devoted as a wincon instead.

Also-also, how likely is it that we get some more cycle support in HOU ?

We definitely get mill support with Fraying Sanity, and i'm excited for that... as for cycle... You have all those basic land deserts that have cycle, so maybe that works?

I don't think that New Perspective can take any more taplands since half of its manabase comes into play tapped by default, so we would need something else.

Here's the list I'm talking about btw

mtgtop8.com/event?e=15792&d=296913&f=ST

nah, it would see play if it did shut down walkers so hard
it would make walkers in hand unplayable (etB with no counter and into the yard they go) and walkers on the table would get stunted unless they were Gideon and his +0 stuff or already had enough counters on them to fuels their abilities for a couple of turns
also strongly synergizes with phyrexians unlife and is easily protected by things like greater auramancy

yea but her specialty is ramping and a a decent 2 drop.

Yeah, kinda why I'm wondering if running a deck around those kinds of creatures with solemnity is worth doing

it becomes a shit top deck, and playig 2 of them on turn 4 is... kinda meh.

What is the list?

bump

Removing a -1/-1 counter is part of the cost of tapping for mana. Exemplar of strength is a better card if you're using it for the body with no counters

Wow guys. Hour of Devastation is really shaping up to be a good set. I can't wait to play my favorite deck from Amonkhet. Haha

This was never a deck to begin with

Not a meta deck but I don't see why they decided to fuck an archetype they started. I had fun with my shitty hapatra deck at FNM.
Why is scorpion god red? Red had like 1 card that gave itself counters in AHK.

And yes I realize solemnity is for energy and shit. My deck just got caught in the crossfire.

I know how you feel. I have being playing Allies Equipment since OGW.
The amount of Artifact hate since Aether Revolt is brutal. And everyone packs it cause fuck Mardu.
How did they even got to print ByForce anyway? It's a upgraded Shattering Spree.
Suck that your deck got sideboard material. It should hit fucking Walkers, fuck WotC.

I am a Mardu Vehicles faggot (Mind you, REAL Vehicles, with 3 different vehicles in the deck, not just Khyran and good stuff) but I like to screw around when playing casually with my playgroup in my LGS. Those casual play days is when I bring RG Pummeler and BG -1/-1 and, believe me, it is a ton of fun of a deck and can fuck up tons of tier 1 and 2 decks. A -1/-1 from sacking a Festering Mummy was a death sentence for a Pummeler. Sneks Decks melted upon those counters and their value fueling creatures were shit when facing a deathtouching weenie. And doing "ALLAH ACKBAR!" with several scorpion demons were enough to disintegrate an Ulamog.

So, it is fun, very VERY interactive in contrast of those "good stuff" decks and have a very solid niche. What is the problem with the deck? Two problems: It is a drafting arquetype and a one trick pony.

Yes. If you realize, every deck has a second plan always. Mardu has planeswalkers and true value even when Khyran is ded. The defunt Temur Marvel has those energy thopters and hydras when they can't get Ulamog into the house. And control has Thing in the Ice and manlands to beat you up even when the Gearhulk plan fails. Decks needs more than one trick to win in order to not succumb under hate cards. The problem with NWO is that the best way to do that is making good stuff decks which creates boring shit like RG Gods which only plan is to fuck you up with big pushed cards. Same with the last iterations of the Mardu arquetype, which is just taking 4 of the best creatures of each set (Gideon, Khiran, Avacyn,...) and not following a real theme.

The second reason is, sadly, it is a drafting arquetype. Like revolt and improvise in AER. They are cards with lower rarity than average in order to appear consistely in a draft in order to build around them. Most of the deck is common and uncommon cards is you realise. Sadly, thanks you NWO, uncommon and common cards tend to be just shit, so the deck lacks of real good stuff to survive the value imposed by those pushed cards. What if Mardu fumigates the fuck out of you and, then, counterattacks with his Platinum Angel Gideon? What can you do when UR Energy counters your nest of scarabs and magma sprays your Hapatra? What if GB Snek uses Yahenni's Expertise into Lilianna on you? You can protect yourself against those moves (Heroic Intervention, Blossoming Defense, etc) but your deck will lack in punch more notably than theirs. Because an Heroic Intervention will be a shitty topdeck when you need to constantly pump out scarabs in order to not get Rhonas sodomize you with the pervert Jackal in two turns.

I, for one, waits and hope with optimism for better material for the arquetype in Hour of Devastation. I just love the amount of interactions the deck gets besides "I tap everything to attack". Knowing, of course, that the best outcome of the deck will be to go Jund or Abzan. Anyways, unless your LGS' FNM is like a mini pro-tour like mine, it is possible to achieve good results with that deck. I found LGS (specially at beach zones) where people was playing janky shit like UB Improvise Servos, Boros Exert or RB Aetherborns (a really fun deck this one, btw, recommended). There, BG -1/-1 would wreck shit like a God. Against a netdecking meta? Well, you can win but you must count on bad opponent luck and superior skill from you, not raw power of your deck.

if they CAN splash it, you can splash
throw in some painted bluffs or something to generate that 1 mana and profit

I just don't really know what to play. With rotation coming up I dont want to invest in a deck that shitting itself in a couple months. I have BG -1/-1 and mono red aggro.

There are only a few people at my card shop that play anything competitive and I usually slip into 3rd or 4th place. I do better on average with aggro but playing that deck makes me want to kill myself. Neither of us are having fun.

I'm probably closest to playing Snek since I have the mana, pushes, and trackers but that is still losing cards in rotation. Is there any deck thats "safe" that isn't a ton of money? My income isn't all that disposable and I've mostly been coasting on store credit to play FNMs

I mean the deck runs but thats not necessarily reliable

Disregarding chase mythics, every deck is pretty cheap. At least here in Europe. Just look at this es.magiccardmarket.eu/Home/Featured_Products

BG Energy doesn't get affected too much for the rotation. Most of its creatures and cards come from Kaladesh block. Just switch the trackers for a Rhonas and some elephants for example and those token Khirans for Aetherspehere Harversters for a better budget. The only thing expensive in BG Energy are the Fatal Pushes (which you have already), the ballistas and the beloved Gearhulk, which can be substituted by a Ridgescaled Tusker. I know, it is not the same as a Gearhulk but it can do the job more or less.

Other arquetypes, rotation proof, are Mardu Vehicles, Temur Energy, Mulato Zombies, UR Control and New Perspectives. UR Control is pretty cheap, really, if you switch the gearhulks with some Enigma Drakes. You won't put them out until you see the enemy's hand reduced to zero, anyways.

Here, in the city I live, there is a very competitive meta and, surprisingly, I reached top 4 of the FNM league of the ENTIRE city. I didn't get to win anything because you only get a prize for the first position but, thinking about it, it is surprising when you budget a little against the opponents.

The deck I am using right now is this mtggoldfish.com/deck/680399#paper . Pretty cheap, really. Mythics are only one of two of because are the ones I got by cracking packs won at FNM. In practice, Kiran and Hazoret are just removal bait, while I strive to get the upper hand in tempo with Authority of the Consuls so I can beat my opponent with dwarves and cars before he can even use a blocker.

The sideboards is heavily against Temur Marvel and I preffer to mainboard magma sprays rather fatal pushes, which can make you realise how much of netdeckers are at my LGS,bringing a lot of Temur Marvels and Zombie Decks. I have yet to modify the sideboard but I am in finals and last Friday was my last FNM until holidays

Ixalan is coming out 2 months after HOD

Why would you make a deck only usable for 2 months.

Unless you already have all of the cards.

This card would be much better if it could bounce itself so you could avoid removal.

Got really excited until I reread "another"

I am thinking of coming back to magic after hour releases and I would really like to try UR control because of the locust god, but because zendikar and innistrad cycle out in a couple months, I dont want to invest, at all if possible, in the rotating cards. Is it possible to make control work without relying on 50% of the available card pool or would I be better off making a cheap GR aggro deck?

BW Zombies doesn't need Innistrad stuff?

Yes you can bring basic lands, assuming they're not marked.

rip standard

>Leaked
>Just got a spoiler video
l m a o.

jesus it is so much better as a general than the other two

holy shit

Of course the good one would be the card that doesnt have red in it. Of course.

Cant harnessed lighing when you cant get energy NERD

You act like Dimir hasn't been shit on for the past 2 years. Throw it a bone.

Fuck I want to make Grixis Control with Bolas but these gods are all so tempting.

B/W control with thing in the ice? flipping the board on turn 4 with mana to spare sounds pretty nice

Thing in the ice isn't good in a control deck. In a control deck you trying to 1 for 1 or 2 for 1 your opponent until they are so behind on cards you win. TitI doesn't provide any control value on cast making it a waste of turn 2 which is really important right now with things like Heart of kiran, Grim Flayer, ect walking around. A control deck needs to keep grasp or Soul Scatter up or they could suffer from the high power level 2 drops that might sneak through.
TitI belongs in a tempo deck that is trying to beat face while also slowing down your opponent, not hard stopping them.
There is a reason why you don't see Delver of Secrets in control decks in other formats. You see him in tempo oriented decks.

I don't know where to ask this if there's no ask a judge thread up:
If two effects tell me to "skip your next draw step" do I skip the next two draw steps or are they both satisfied by me skipping one draw step?

>U/B that isn't mill
What the fuck?

>the UB god is this good and only costs 5 and makes 4/4's with upside that fuel it
>the BR one is shit in comparison
>the RU one costs 6

Is it time for Esper Zombies post rotation?

I think you skip only your next one, not two. Just like you can't stack "control player for next turn" effects.

Make a blue flash hulk deck and splash red.

>titi on turn 2
Why don't you play it when you have enough mana up to titi + fuck your enemy up

>UB getting a playable card

Holy shit how long has it been?

So will this be playable? I want a planeswalker deck.

>5 mana 4/3 vigilance etb tutor Gideon
Yes, it is playable.

>4x Djeru
>4x of each Gideon (3 of them in standard)
>4x Oath of Gideon
You got this man

Also curves nicely into Ajani

Dang, I hoped he was going to get eternalized.