WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Oh wait here it is.

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>While the enemies of The Emperor still draw breath, there can be no peace.
youtube.com/watch?v=aEQM9sbQ4fk

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vfElFKHy39E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Repost from the old thread-

Primaris Scheme. Coming up with their fluff, blah blah blah

What do you anons think? Additions I should make? Mistakes I need to fix?

Looks solid. The base shouldn't stay white though it ought to contrast the model slightly

What's with the overwhelming majority of people who play Orks using an Ork voice? I get it can sometimes be funny but when they're doing it most of the time they play or say anything related to orks it gets a bit grating. I can appreciate the occasional post with an Orky vehicle and some chatter but sometimes it's a bit much.

Thanks! Yeah the base is white from airbrush/primer. I haven't decided how to base them yet, so I'm gonna leave them blank until I decide.

I need a highlight color for the green. It looks dark here but irl it's actually brighter than I thought it would be, especially since the base is nearly black. I might go for a second wash of nightshade since it's supposed to be night-fighting in a swamp.

Working on my dark apostle/noxious blightbringer. Using the primus medicae from forgeworld for my artscale (now normal size marines) with some bits from the new starter set.
Is the head too small though? Used a wood elf one.

st. george/britannia

like the checks

Posting again. Suggestions on how to achieve this color bone? Basecoat gray/blue mix then highlight white with nuln oil wash?

I might try caliban green washed blue next, and keep the olive green as the highlight color. A little bit of testing to do before I go hard on the army. I guess this is what drones are for

You'll get away with it. For some reason the death guard champion and the plaguecaster (the two models without helmets) have small heads anyway so it won't look too out of place.

St George's cross is red on a white background.

Does anybody have coloring templates like pic related for other factions? It would be cool to have one for each faction.

for Skitarii

and thats all I got

Do you mean talking like an ork or orkposting?

Both, really. There's the occasional banter, and then there's the full on in-character speech and conversation.

Unsure if this a plus or minus for you, but they have a very "cooked lobster" look to them because of the red and the spines/highlights. Personally, I really like it, but could use a wash maybe.

Has anyone here ever painted Mortifactors? I think I have a decent paint list ready, but I'd be interested to know the process you did the colors in.

repoasting my demo chadmarine

Asked this in the last thread to didn't get an answer. How do I paint denim on orks?

I thought the primaris marines that showed up to reinforce the angry marines would end up 'out back with their legs chopped off...

If you're not the same user as last night, here. If you are, I still enjoy these schemes and maybe they'll help someone else.

Yeah I am, I was hoping that It would get more attention in a WIP with more than 12 posts.

found this after some more digging

Rattle can primers go on much much thicker than air brushed primer. It's not going to give you the same result. It sounds like you don't know what airbrushes are like and assumed a rattle can and an airbrush do the same thing when they do entirely different ends of the spectrum when it comes to paint spraying.

When painting with subassemblies should I try to mask parts so I can glue them with plastic cement, or just paint everything and use super glue?

try to mask them. but you could also scratch color off with a knife

they'd probably get the ones with Colonel Cawl's secret blend of herbs and spices (i.e. World Eater geneseed, capsacin, and grox testosterone), so they'd be as pissed, if not moreso, as their regular marine counterparts. I imagine that if the AM tried fucking with their new meat, someone would GET A FUCKING BOLT RIFLE BROKEN OFF IN THEIR FAGGOT ASS.

user, seriously cool models. How'd you paint them? Is that an offwhite?

Nearly-done Rough Riders/Death Riders. Need to do two more shield arms and some touchup on the bases.

r8?

I like this idea. Alot.

Why do the dinos look perfectly normal, but the riders look covered in chalk?

I attempted to prime them with gesso. Though I think it's less that and more that I got a bit lazy and started drybrushing. Will probably go fix that one guy's helmet...

The thought was a shallow pond of sorts that you'd find within a cave. Naturally the water would be pretty clear from underground filtration but I was considering adding some moss on other parts of the diorama, so I could also go for a stagnant pool of water too.

I dunno, the indecision has ground my progress on the piece to a complete stop and I'm dying to move forward but I just don't know how I want to go about it

Custom company commander for my Armaghast Planetary Defence Force.

>bolt "pistol"
>power "sword"

it is incredibly hard to find woman-sized arms in a box of IG and SM bits

get round bases/10
Squares have never looked right in 40k.

otherwise I'm fond of the techno-barbarian look

Rolled 1 (1d2)

>roll of 1 the water is clear
>roll of 2 the water is stagnant

Power through the doubt and finish that sweet diorama. I believe in you, user!

I'm painting a pile of magnetized carnifex scything talons.

Sitting here with a heap of a dismembered limbs in front of me is making me want chicken wings.

Thanks!
I airbrushed a medium tone grey (like mech standard grey) and highlighted it up to something around celestra grey. Then nuln oil in the recesses and white edge highlights.

Thanks Shianon. Expect pictures of it in these threads, hopefully within the week

The red laurels don't look too hot. I'd probably go with black instead.

are the Chaos Black BBCs discontinued?

>mfw

Thanks doods.

Yeah my local GW guy said they stopped because people were complaining that they didn't work (since they were stupid and didn't shake the can for the extra time it said).

Needs drawn butter and corn on the cob.

You're doing it completely wrong. Plastic glue can melt through paint, super glue requires masked connections.

Not that guy, but I've found plastic glue doesn't like to go through paint.

Not going to the kinoplex tonight user?

Maybe he just got back.
>not having your crab legs put in a doggy bag while you grab a quick shower

It probably only works on airbrushed paint or weak ass primers.

2nd edition inspired Primaris WIP

Should I do black or brown holsters and satchels? White parchment or black parchment?

I've been messing about with a few Dark Eldar test models. This is the first one that's a bit closer to completion. Opinions would be appreciated.

I keep seeing people use the german word for cinema with no apparent context and subsequently must assume I am behind on a meme. What have I missed?

Anyone had any luck stripping corax white? Came out really flaky and im planning on soaking the model in dettol. Will i have any luck or should i just accept its pointless and move on?

>Should I do black or brown holsters and satchels?

While black and brown are neutral colors, brown is slightly "warmer" than black. While black contrasts a but more with the shade of red you have picked.

So, do brown if you want something that "fades in" with the red you have chosen, or do black if you want something that "stands out" from the red.

If you still can't make up your mind, my vote is for brown. But that's just my own subjective tastes.

Do you guys like my completed objectives? This is such a fun kit I really enjoyed making it. Every objective piece has so much character to it, it could be a story in it's own right.

Drill the barrel.

>Every objective piece has so much character to it, it could be a story in it's own right.
>box full of mortar shells
It's so mysterious! What could it possibly mean? How did it get there? Man, if inanimate objects could talk I bet it would have whopper of a tale to tell.

Looks solid, but I can't quite put my finger on it, it needs something to sharpen it up. Another contrasting colour or a brighter fine edge highlight. If you want to take it further.

Man you need to get an imagination.

I've got a few mortar squads in my IG army. So yeah, mortar shells can have a story around them. Like the squad needs to capture the mortar dump to secure more ammo for the campaign.

It's funny you brought up the mortars because I was actually pretty excited to set up my mortar teams next to them in a game.

you painted it wrong

nah but, amazing job mate

The Eversor/escape pod, Genestealer tank, surgery table, comms station, and comms tower are pretty interesting though.

>The unfired mortars from the Cadian 8th
legend has it that because a single guardsman chose to flee the battle instead of running the orders to a mortar battery to fire on the incoming chaos vanguard rather than redeploying, the battle was lost, and the loss of the battle contributed to the loss of the war.
you could say that those pristine mortars represent the loss of Cadia due to a guardsmans cowardice.

let these holy relics of condemnnation spur you ever onward towards greater courage and glory, guardsman.

let not what happened on Cadia happen here.

Well heres IG one from volter and chainsword.

lol fuck red screens.

Yeah i could add some extreme edge highlight some bits with an even brighter orange to add more definition the plates.

Is there some kind of golden thinning ratio for citadel/water?

Like bright colors on cereal and toy boxes, orks as a faction attract all the most autistic players.

I was just about to start my own dudes with pretty much the same colour scheme. Let's hope our guys never meet.

youtube.com/watch?v=vfElFKHy39E

I am conflicted about this. On one hand, it looks good, simple and clean. But, on the other, I looks almost too clean for nurgle.

Any tips or ideas on how to dirty it up/weathering it?

Rust would work wonders with that scheme imo. Meaby have some fun and try the hair fixer technique?

Pls respond

>Rust would work wonders with that scheme imo.
I think the same. I think adding some small patches of dark-brown, then metal, then a mix of really bright orange and Lahmian medium. dunno if it'd look too bright in the end though.

Meaby have some fun and try the hair fixer technique?
I am not familiar with this, what is the "hair fixer" technique?

Someone in this thread needs this. I can feel it in my bones.

Yeah maybe take a brighter yellow, or orange to just highlight tips of the armour plates just to add definition.

Actually its called hair spray technique. There is plenty of tutorials on Youtube.
First you paint the rust color on the whole model. Then you give several hairspray coats. After, you paint the armor in the normal way. And finally with a toothpick or a hard brush soaked in alcohol you remove the paint of the armor leaving the rust under showing(wich is protected by the hair spray)

Im going to pick up some Primaris, I've avoided doing space marines for years and can't even remember the last time I painted one.

Do you think this would be a good colour scheme? Do you reckon my local GW would let me do a test paint on one of their tester models if I picked up the big box set?

I like it, but the belt should be blue, and I would use the white helmet only for the sargents.

Opinions being worth shit and all that but i dont like the clash of colours. they just dont seem to blend at all.

More progress, just have the backpack left. Finished the shoulder pads and it took me much longer than I wanted it to. It's hard to tell cause of the picture quality but I severely underestimated the difficulty involved when painting directional highlights on such a round surface and have it look good. Also didn't know if I should go with a gold or black trim. Obviously I went with gold and I think it was a good choice. I'm open to critiques.

Me neither

Gold works user.
But why are you taking all this care painting a marinelet?

Because I enjoy painting my minis more than I do playing the game. Also because this is my first time glazing on highlights and I wanted to see if I would like it (So far, yes.)

I know it takes an insane amount of time to do, but I am hoping with practice I will become faster. A goal of mine is to become good enough that I can do commissions during my layoff season.

That color scheme is atrocious.

If you really, really REALLY want to use red, yellow and blue at the same time, choose one to be the dominant color, and use the other two sparingly.

Or choose two that complement well and remove the third one.

Does the ravenwing bits set come with a transfer sheet?

Gw used to sell a DA transfer sheet but now they don't and I'm worried that I will have to freehand stuff like the book on sableclaw.

interesting. I'll give it a check, see if it works for me.

Looks cool man, keen to see the finished product

This is going to take a bit of Green Stuff.
I combined the flames to make them less flat, removed the proboscis and made it into a flame-spouting trailing limb instead, opting for a gout of flame coming directly out of the mouthpiece. I've got some extra pieces of flame and the claws of Murderfang to use where the tusks are currently. I think I'm on to something here!

> "We're the Mighty Adelaide Crows"
But yeah, lose the red legs and yellow knees. It's overkill, I reckon

Fantastic paintjob! I can't wait to get started on my little escape pod!
I'm stealing that explaination for mine ammo dumps. I'm gonna put the CADIA decal on them.

Kek

Boy, if that model isn't the very definition of visual noise.

Its a very neat idea, but I dont think the flames are necessary, at least not on the guns.