Bleack Library thread

Any good books about the Savlar Chem Dogs?
I liked that Shadowsword has one that is actually a bro to his crewmates, in his own Savlar way.

Failing that, I'm open to suggestions about 40k books. I've read a lot of books, but I'd be happy to discover some other jewels. I heard Demon world was really good.

Other urls found in this thread:

scribd.com/document/46521045/Dead-Men-Walking
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's not Guard, but I just finished The Emperor's Gift and I think it was the best BL book I've read. Good prose, good characterization, brings up some interesting questions and some really excellent scenes. Also finished Prince of Crows recently, while it's good it doesn't compare to his novel length stuff.

Also /r/ing the BL tier list charts, if anyone has em

I highly recommend Deathwatch by Steve Parker and the associated short stories, Headhunted and Exhumed IIRC.
Baneblade, Shadowsword, and the 2 short stories, Stormlord and Iron Harvest (Read this one before Shadowsword, it will make the crew much more likeable, in a Brothers in Arms sort of way) by Based Guy Haley (generally speaking Haley is a good pick).
Dead Men Walking for one of the most grimdark book about 40k, featuring the KDK, by Steve Lyons. Fantastic but super depressing. The short story Down Amongst the Dead Men by the same author deals with "training" on Krieg is equally good and depressing.
Red Tithe by Robbie McNiven and Eye of Medusa by David Guymer are two excellent books giving loads of background information about, respectively, the Carcharodons and the Iron Hands (I have to say, I'm a Carcharodons player but hot diddly damn Eye of Medusa was good, IH are scary and brutal as fuck in this book)
Death of Antagonis and Warden of the Blade by David Annandale are solid books as well, one fluhes out the Black Dragon nicely (very different interpretation than Kyme's savage view on them) and since you like GK, the 2nd is about Castellan Crowe, and a fantastic insight on the perils of the GK and the bearer of the blade of Ant'wyr in particular. Manages to make him non Mary-Sue.
Pdf related is also a great book, it's everything a book about an unknown chapter should be. I like to share it around since it was take from the BL site 2 weeks before release because of legal problems, so poor Kearney wrote a whole damn novel for nothing, and I suspect he is the one that put up his novel on torrents so that it's not forgotten.

There is no stories about Minotaurs?

>I'd be happy to discover some other jewels
execution hour and shadow point are fantastic if you can find them
the enforcer trilogy is also quite good if you haven't checked it out already

double eagle is probably my favourite abnett book, but I am gay for planes so might just be biased

I did hear some good stuff about the Gothic War books.
And I suspect the guys that made BFG:A loves them too, apparently there are loads of references in the game.

Double Eagle is pretty fucking good yeah, even with Abnett's usual need to make soecial snowflakes, in this case a regiment of pilots that are attached to the IG, instead of the Navy.

I could forgive it since it reminded me a little of the navy/air force split.

Or Marines/Navy?

Not gonna lie, I only discovered recently that every branch of our army had planes, when a friend told me she was engaging in the French navy to become a mechanician for planes.

the Iron Warriors and Ultramarines novels are great, the first two novels are the best BL I've ever read. I'd highly recommend them if you want to get into 40k books

There is an audio drama with them and Raven Guard against Nurgle.

Its Brazen Minotaurs not Minotaurs-marine-killers.

My bad

>redemption corps in heresy tier
that book is underrated as fuck.

I know. It's literally rainbow six 40k

I also liked the depiction of sisters of battle as the villians

it had a rebellion in an imperial ship, ork/genestealer hybrids, a planet with the trees made out of glass...

Man what a great ride. I read it on a whim and was super pleased with it. fat priest man was best

I also have to recommend Iron Guard - no one else seems to love it as much as I do, but I've found it to be one of the best 40k reads I've ever had that perfectly encapsulates the grimdarkness of the setting, without 'softening it' like I've seen in other works.

Yeah, I loved it. The hybrids in the end is a bit silly but oh well.

Anyone got any Gaunts Ghosts in either pdf or epub? Specifically "The Founding" omnibus...

Here's an oldie one from the Dark Days of WH40K books

can someone post the MEGA with all warhammer book epubs some guy collected ?

Yeah, Umbra Sumus was the first novel for me in a few years. I expected it (and 40k literature in general) to be cheesy garbage but it was great. I'd heartily recommend it.

Thank you, kind user. Been looking for this.

Are there any books on Bjorn the fell handed, the only one i read featuring him is the emperors gift

Can't think of anything besides Battle of the Fang of the top of my head, wasn't bad though.

Pretty much all ADB's stuff ought to be bumped down in that image. Gaunt's Ghosts and the Gothic War ought to be bumped up. Same with Inquisition Wars. At least in my opinion.

I liked it until it turned Logan's subtle act of rebellion and loud protestations into actually rebellion nothing of which was subtle. While adding in a passage that, if memory serves, pretty much went down like this:
>Entire paragraph about how a Grey Knight Grandmaster reached the peak of the Grey Knights through sheer combat prowess
>And then Logan killed before he could react.
>Wow gee whiz, Logan sure is a badass. I just spent a whole paragraph telling you how awesome this Grey Knight Grandmaster was and then had Logan kill him like that! Buy Logan's model for only $40 and you too can field this bagasse hero of the 41st millenium.
Ok, that last arrow was hyperbole, but it was still a really, super lazy way to show off Logan, or get some shock value, or whatever ADB was going for there.

One of my favorites I don't see mentioned a lot is Tyrant of the Hollow Worlds. It's nothing like the codex entry, but, unlike most Black Library books based on preexisting events, it's actually a lot better than the original. The Hollow Worlds in the book are far more interesting than the ones described in the codex.

Guilliman chatting with Bjorn about the old days when?

He would probably just call him a pansy

Damn that was good

>Iron Warriors introduced as main villains
>Actually turn out to be side shows for the real threat
>The Orks

What the fuck did I just read? Does Nick Kyme come from some kind of opposite world?

There were some Savlar in old anthologies, but fuck me if I remember. Do try Let the Galaxy burn.

Other great series tips are Eisenhorn, Battlefleet Gothic duology, and Shira Calpurnia Enforcer. Also do try Relentless by guy whom I remember as Robin Williams, damn fine Imperial Navy action.

>kills off the only character I actually cared about
>adds in he'stan as a complete badass then completely ignores him in the final novel
>ends in angst and super saiyan salamander
that book series upsets me because of how good it could have been

>Nick Kyme
>good

I do not hate without reason, but no other Bl author bored me so much

This.

Kyme is shit at novels. His short stories are good and apparently he's a decent editor, but every single one of his novels I felt was a waste of time by the end.

Anyone know where I might be able to find (or find details on) the Umbra Summus book that Paul Kearney wrote for Black Library?

Third post of this thread.

Patrician taste user. I really hope ADB gets inspiration from this one rather than Abnett's Brothers of the Snake, since they both have a tendency to make stuff smecial snowflakes.
I fear the Emperor's Spears (the chapter he's working on) will be massively different from "normal" marines. Kearney managed to skillfully fluff out the Dark Hunters, giving them a culture, a history, without turning them into snowflakes. That's quality writing.

You can probably find them in the general's megas

Crimson king is shit tier? Really? Magnus´ primarch book was suprisingly good, so I have high hopes. Honest querry here, I am looking forward to it, when I find the audiobook (for those intrested, yes I can fucking read but as I am finishing my thesis, my eyes are bloody sore).

Basically Crimson took the story of the Ahriman books with Magnus being shattered, and did it again.

If the Ahriman books didn't exist, it would've been fine. But it's literally the exact same plot.

Oh. Well, I was expecting that, after seeing the cover, reading Magnus. Any... aditional value, extra story bits? I do consider Ahriman to be one of quiete good series.

Or asked another way (sorry for fagquoting), is it an enjoyable read/listen for relax. even if it does not show anything new?

I mean, yes and no. The book isn't bad by itself. But the fact that it's the same plot as a recent one completely kills it.

Does anyone have a pdf or link to dead men walking? I've tried to find it in the archives but have been completely unsuccessful.

I mean, it's a good book, so I'd say to actually buy it, since the author deserves the royalties imo.
Plus it can't be that expensive anymore now can it? Surely BL lowered the price or something right?

Its currently 12-20 off amazon, and 12 for the ebook off black library. No idea how much it was originally.

Ebooks tend to be around 1350 euros, so make tha of yiu will.

Male that of what you will*

Who are the Blood Gorgons? Do they have good books?

The Dragon Warriors in his first Salamanders short story was something that really excited me when I read it. By the third book that became comic book villains was pretty BS.

Anyone know some good World Eaters/Kharn books? I already read Betrayer.

Could you or someone else post Dead Men Walking?

the best i can do is this scribd link, but you will need to get the free trial.

scribd.com/document/46521045/Dead-Men-Walking

>to become a mechanician for planes.
>girls in the army
She just want to become a cocksleeve for the grunts, friend

Epub/pdf for Black Legion by ADB pls?

Its not out yet

Ok, killing my self

Any good spoilers/new fluff?

I didn't mind that part in Emperor's Gift so much, Grimnar has been canonically 'the best' warrior in the Imperium (or at least he was, new fluff probably retconned that), but even then he's consistently portrayed throughout the book as being a few steps above any other loyalist figure. Also I thought the awkwardness of that scene was eclipsed by how damn good some of the others were, the page immediately before they mass-drop onto Armageddon is unmatched imo.

C:

Any chance of Crimson King audiobook?

Currently chewing my way through the Ravenor series. Is the Bequin spinoff stuff not as good as Ravenor/Eisenhorn?

There was a more recent story that had something to do with Severus Agemman, and since I want to know more about that poor forgotten fuck I'd like to read it, if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

imo Eisenhorn>Pariah>Ravenor. But the rest of the bequin series is probably never going to happen.

It had interesting bits but the main character being so much of a special snowflake made the book a slough to get through, for me at least.

dl link?

Is it just me or does no one ever talk about the Word Bearers omnibus?

She's already one for mine.

Reading Shrike right now. Its mediocre as of half way through. I really like Raven Guard as a faction but the books always seem to fall short of doing them justice. I enjoyed the audio novel short story a few years ago about Corax trying to escape Istvaan. Really gave you a brutal description of a primarch's strength.

finished Dark Imperium the other week. Now I keep imagining Primaris Marines as clone commandos from Star Wars. I actually like the idea of them now that I look at them that way.

das about it

Know No Fear and Titanicus got me into 40k so I'm glad other people enjoy them as well.

Made on my phone, pls no bully.

They have at least one novel that's ok. I really dislike Henry Zhou's writing, I couldn't even finish his inquisitor book, but I did kind of like Blood Gorgons. It has some cool scenes in it.

There's an old short story in Let the Galaxy Burn. No real characterization in it other than "he's angry and really good at shitstomping slaaneshi cultists". Also, his helmet tracks his K/D/A in real time.

I enjoyed the Word Bearers omnibus a lot, and re-read it every now and then. I'm surprised to see it ranked so low. I really enjoy how they're portrayed as a mix between religious zealots and an effective fighting force without going full retard.

>K/D/A
>"Oh EM Gee Zhufor, that loyalist was mone you fucking killstealer! Report to Angron for killsteal! And tell the cultists to stop feeding!"

>Blood Gorgons
Ah, thanks. I've read the Word Bearers omnibus and I'm reading the Night Lords one now and I'm looking for more chaos marine books.

Damn this fucking book. The damn feels at the end. Fuck that guy.

>He was going to be a hero.
Damn.

He even talks about trying to beat his personal high score.

Blood Gorgons is honestly pretty mediocre, but its still an ok portrayal of renegade astartes who aren't from the old legions.

Read Lord of the Night if you haven't, its what inspired ADB's NL trilogy. Storm of Iron is great as well. Echoes of the Long War is part of the Beast Arises series, and it has the IW team up with some Imperial Fists successors. There is also an anthology of CSM short stories called Treacheries of the Space Marines.

It did have a lot of great stuff that I was glad was included. But the way that the story was cut up felt really awkward to me, and some of the characters - like the fat priest man - felt like they were included just because.

When I read the Bastion Wars omnibus, I basically considered it to get better as it went - first story was the worst, second better, third generally best.

Something was really off about the first book of it. I felt like I was in colonial Africa or India instead of 40k, romping around with characters that felt like they were out of some steampunk novel, they acted so Victorian. It's readable, but does not feel 40k, and its twist was actually kind of confusing. The second book had an interesting look at local tribes and a corrupt Ecclesiarchy, and it made the Sisters near the end look badass, so I'll forgive it for otherwise feeling like 'nam, making the Imperial guardsmen who weren't the main regiment look absolutely useless, and the epilogue that only really matters if you read the first book. The third book had an interesting Chaos warband, CSM politics, and a brief but fun look at the Dark Eldar. It had moments that actually made me sad or got me hyped up.

That killed me.

There's something fantastically 40k about stories where humans trust eldar and get burned.

Weren't those the books that got caught ripping off an actual soldiers memoirs?

>Storm of Iron

That was the novel that got me into 40k, not gonna lie - fucking love that book.

You mean Umbra Sumus?
I was starting to ship the Captain and the Eldar, but the end was damn abrupt on that point.

the ending of that book was such a cop out

>the chick he loved survived but with another man,and she was so close yet so far

cheesy as fuck, really daft

>death korps take a load of refugees but leave behind the fighting men like him...

wut? makes no sense

i really enjoyed the book and some of the moments describing the death korps fighting style was really harrowing, like men charging to certain death just to give their melta gunners chance to get an extra shot off and stuff like that

i also really liked the scenes with the commissar and the grenadiers

but the ending [like the literal ending, not the final battle] just left me a bit underwhelmed, it just felt forced

>Word Bearers omnibus mediocre tier

Now that's some heresy

First 40k books I ever read. Still in the top 10

Anyone know when the next ciaphas cain book comes out?

Anyone got the Night Lords Omnibus that they'd be willing to share? I've had a look online but can't find a copy.

First Shira Calpurnia book was good, the others were shit. Look out rebel winter, and the sisters of battle duology.

Are you having an aneurism, user?

Yeah, the first one, the part where they shoot a family and the officer throws smoke to deny the father the last view of them

Never. Sandy Mitchell won't write for them because they couldn't find an agreement for his contracts apparently.

My big meaty fingers on my tiny phone screen have the magical power of making ebooks super expensive.

What?! Thats just fucked, i really liked Those novels... the space marines are good and all but the best stories comes from the guard and cain was a Nice character :-/ im gonna miss Jürgen