Mjolnir

Not trying to meme shit and get all r.eddit, honest question as I do not read Cap or Thor (Odinson either) enough to have any clue about this. Does Mjolnir have a set of morals that must be met for one to be considered worthy or is it all about self worth? If one is confident in their own self-worth and ability is that what matters? Not the morality involved with what is subjectively right or wrong? For example could a rapist, a confident rapist who believes in his cause and own ability, willing to die to rape someone, be worthy? Just curious.

Depends on the setting/system.

For a Marvel-centric answer to your question, try asking again over at /co/.

I've never encountered this stipulation outside of comics, and like so much with comics, it's basically whatever the author happens to want it to be at any given moment - sometimes Odin can override the hammer's enchantment and let anyone use it, sometimes he can't and the hammer has its own will; sometimes being a true warrior in the Nordic sense is worthiness, sometimes worthiness is a more contemporary notion of heroic nature.

In the case of your specific question? Sure. If the author/GM wanted it to be that way. If they didn't, then no.

whatever the writer wants it to be

Go to the real source material, the Norse legends, rather than the pale imitation that is Marvel's representation.

And according to those: no. You just need to be real fucking strong. Tor actually needed a magic belt to increase his allready divine strength and a pair of iron mittens to protect his hand to use Mjolner

Marvel's stipulation just seems to be "trying to do the right thing".

Fucking Deadpool lifted it once because his character at the time was trying to be less of a murdering psychopath and more of a do-gooder.

That pic is Spencer just fishing for outrage bucks. Been Marvels M.O. for too long.

Remember the context of Odin placing that stipulation on Mjollnir

It was when Thor was being a shit and needed to learn to not be a shit

I expect the hammer itself is.somewhat sentient and knows when it NEEDS to be wielded and reacts accordingly.

In general though, the only people who can lift the hammer under normal non dire circumstances are Thor, Captain America, and Superman. The hammer will flub as plot and necessity demands but generally seems to allow itself to be wielded when someone truly needs it in order to stand up against evil

>fishing for outrage bucks.
Cap has always been able to lift the hammer, unless that's nu Hydra cap holding it up

That is HydraCap.

Then Houston we have a problem, unless the hammer suddenly turned into that fucking cat spirit in Wakanda that let Doom have all their vibranium because he was worthy under the letter of the law if not the spirit

the real mjolnir at least isnt about worthiness. damn thing is just too heavy for anyone to lift without thor's magic belt of strength ×2. thats the literal interpritation of what it does btw.

>implying Hydra aren't the good guys

Ever wonder if the people writing this suddenly get carried away and blurt out how they honestly feel about something when they get to write a villain like this? Red Skull's speech is striking me as something the writer sincerely believes.

Is it just me, or would it actually help foster change in Marvel if people actually had the balls to bring these developments up in casual conversation?

Like, if someone's talking about the movies, mention how Steve is a card-carrying Nazi in the comics. Get them outraged, get them frustrated but most importantly, get them informed. Marvel Comics, much like Portland, gets away with their weird cringe because they don't think the outside world is watching.

Maybe, though that comic was from before the "Cap joins Hydra" story arc, and I'm pretty sure he just kicks Red Skull's ass on the next page instead of being convinced.

I think the idea there, not that i've read it other than that image, is that he's saying 'here is all the worst of your society, all the downsides it's had! This is all of it! Ignore the rest of it!' Don't need to believe it to lie by omission.
That and just the 'the 40s/50s were literally a utopia' thing probably doesn't work on someone who would have more vivid memories of it than anyone else alive.

That, and people have a worrying tendency to forget that such a time was prosperous because a fucking absurd number of folks were dead or dying.

See i'm reading your post and going 'yes' but suddenly realising we've just created /pol/bait with almost total certainty.
I regret my choices.
On a very different note, would people like Mjolnir to be 'you must act by this ancient viking code' kind of deal or one that's based on the moral codes of the norse people at the time you're using it? Like I'm guessing slightly less pillage and plunder nowadays and more western and liberal, although I will admit I haven't visited Norway to be certain.

You only need cancer and Feminism to lift Mjolnir apparently.

Also, Oden has fuck all to do with the hammer

Superman could only wield it under one of those dire circumstances. Wonder Woman on the other hand can pick it up and use it whenever.

>Fucking Deadpool lifted it once because his character at the time was trying to be less of a murdering psychopath and more of a do-gooder.
To be fair, that was a fake Mjollnir, that was just Loki fucking with him. He also at the time convinced Deadpool that Loki's his father and later made him have an indestructible face of Tom Cruise. I shit thee not

this

>Like, if someone's talking about the movies, mention how Steve is a card-carrying Nazi in the comics.
And what do the movies have to do with the comics?
Are you going to wax about the Yellow Scourge if someone is talking about Iron Man 3?
You get this shit when the source material has been active for decades.

His reasoning isn't wrong, it's his actions. Reasons and thought will always be legal (with luck) since that's the point of freedom of speech. It's the fact that Red Skull's solution is to terrorize and murder people that makes him a villain, not his reasons for it.

>He says as he replies to a picture where Nazi Captain America is holding it

Cancer OR Feminism, you mean.

So I think this is wrong, as a fan of Norse mythology and Norse sagas and (some) arcs of Marvel's Thor.

It's not really the same thing (like Wonder Woman's Amazons are almost deliberately opposite the mythological ones). Simonson wrote an amazing Thor using mythological touchstones but going wild with the modern day, aliens, divine technology and all the regular clusterfuck trappings of a superhero universe. It was really good, and honestly still the best anyone has ever done by the character. His independent Ragnarok book now has an edgier and more traditionally Viking Thor but is also a damn good read.

But also in the case of OPs image, this is an example of the clusterfuck trappings of a superhero universe. That's not Captain America, it's a Captain America created by a cosmic cube turned sentient controlled by the Red Skull which was originally built out of fragments of one used by a clone of Hitler. The cosmic cube changed the whole of reality, to the extent that possibly Mjolnir is different than it has always been too (there was a hint of it acting against Jane, the current wielder). And that's not even considering Jason Aaron's recent retcon where Mjolnir was not a hammer forged by Odin but a sentient evil space storm bound into the form of a hammer.

I really, really hate Jason Aaron Thor (and not because Jane is holding the mantle, I think that's a fine idea, it's the implementation and the damage being done to the character's established stories, background and cast) but OP's pic isn't really out of the ordinary for comic books. Worthiness of itself seems to be objective, but reality's fucked.

literally fuck all matters. A human news reporter once wielded Mjolnir and bested Thor in combat just because Odin felt it was useful to rigged it to let him. Specifically because Odin knew "the god of thunder" was going to die so tricked a random sap into dying in place of Thor. Robots have repeatedly lifted it. Fucking Squirrel Girl. Beta Ray Bill, and then when he had to give it back they just made him his own equally powerful only-ye-worthy magic hammer. Superman and Wonderwoman both have wielded it in crossovers. Spiderman 2099. Rogue and Prof.X. Captain America. Conan the Barbarian. In actual practice there are no rules, they only exist as a bs pretense that no one ever actually acts upon sensibly.

He is (very) tangentially related to it. Mjolnir was made by Brokk and the other one (blanking on the name) to be a better weapon than Gugnir, Odin's spear, made by the sons of Ivaldi.

>legal is the same as ethical

sweet lying is a ok now