incase you ever wanted to know what there is here
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_collectible_card_games

Wanna talk to a bunch of nerds at once?
Here: discord.gg/MEGakH3 (currently 11)

>What's your main TCGs
>How many have you played?
>What do you wish came back?
>What do you wish had a game?
>What is your favorite card you own, from any game (or from multiple games, all good).
Need advice?
Looking to play?

If Yugioh try out Dueling nexus

Don't forget! This thread is for any and all TCGs! Ever created! Post shit you wanna talk about related to TCGs, group games like CAH and more

>Why did you keep asking the same question?
Because I didn't have really anyone answer it. I had like 2 people answer it in the last 5 threads. SORRY, user..

Personal question:
Do you think an Alice in Wonderland or through the looking glass game would work?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.me/wonderlandgames
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I was too young to play the Digimon TCG but it seems really cool. Too bad the reprint will probably never come to the states.

Alice in Wonderland is probably my favorite IP so I would love so see it work. You have factions you could split into archetypes or colors and lots of characters to make into creatures and such. Although I feel like I would want an Alice TCG to think outside the box somehow and instead of monsters battling put the conflict someplace else. Maybe players play quests that either player can complete and the first to win a certain number of these contests is the winner.

That reminds me of the Harry Potter TCG which is another hidden gem like Queen's Blade

lets no over think a TCG. That's what happened with MLP and L5R. Those games were a serious mess and made no sense. The only reason anyone played MLP cause bronies needed a new hobbie. The game was too much work. If someone makes a new card game, they need to make it simple and not go full retard.

>HP TCG
AHA
I brought that up in my first few threads. Not many people seem to remember it at the start of the 2ks

The only reason I know of it is because I was doing research on TCGs. I never played it but I really want to.

unless there's an anime behind it, most of the time most TCGs don't last very long even if there is an anime. Bleach had a TCG and so did Naruto but they both died so damn fast it was sad. The issue was the battle system. There's only so many ways to fight till you start cloning the big 3.
Magic Yugioh and pokemon.

>There's only so many ways to fight till you start cloning the big 3.
I'm not so sure this is true. Wixoss is mechanically similar but is centered around lanes, managing yours and your opponent's resources with your aggressiveness, and a second deck that acts as a meta toolbox. UFS pretty faithfully adapts fighting games into a card game; see as a similar example the DBZ game from the 2000s. An user showed me RSO, which is kinda like Magic meets Pokemon meets commander, but even then feels different.

On the other hand, yeah, most games sink and die hard real quick.

As someone who's been unsuccessfully brainstorming a dreamworld-type game for a while, I think Alice could work as a game but comes with a mess of issues. The main one being you can only reprint Alice, The Mad Hatter, and the Red Queen so many times before you get boring. The main issue with any licensed property is they usually don't have the ability to expand their original idea, locking them to the original. And yeah it's not a 1-for-1 since you'd need all original art and mechanics anyway, but at what point do you move from book and movie references and start adding TCG original material, and how will that be taken?

>but at what point do you move from book and movie references and start adding TCG original material, and how will that be taken?
You start from the book and ignore all other media. Hire a bunch of artists and create a new version of the story. As long as the new stuff is consistent with the new story and aesthetic you've created, you're golden.

>good ideas
Oh I agree. I just find it unlikely that the fans who made the game wouldn't be too wrapped up in their favorite version of Alice, or that the fans who buy into the game wouldn't get pissy when the makers don't spend whole releases jerking off Disney/Burton/McGee.

If someone made an Alice TCG that wasn't Magic, had its own style, and wasn't dripping in Hot Topic, that would be cool and is be sad when it finally died because the Alice and TCG crowds don't really share a demographic that could support it. Pick a character, dive into a fever dream, and lose when your sanity has been restored by your opponent.

I should make a different one of these, but do you know all these games?

I recognize L5R and UFS.

This probably wont mean anything to anyone, but I'm looking for a card game that was on kickstarter or a similar crowdfunding site. It was a japanese fantasy esque card game they were bringing to english speakers, and I believe one thing they wanted to do was add new cards, with some of the art being zombie versions of certain characters. Not sure if it ever got funded, but does this sound familiar to anyone?

L5R
VS

That's all I got

>favorite cards you own
I'm not sure I have one favorite. Vault Skirge is by far my favorite Magic card, with Boros Fury-Shield right behind it. Pic related looks amazing in foil and makes a good waifu, even though I play other characters more.

From the top left, clockwise:

WoW TCG
L5R
That One Comic Book CCG From Like 14 Years Ago. Versus?
No Idea
SpyCraft
Spoils
No idea
Cool robot, no idea
Pretty clearly Battlestar Galactica, dunno the game.
Dunno
Dunno
Dunno
Deadlands
Dunno
Seventh Sea

I love collecting obscure random TCG cards, saving the good art and putting them in a binder.

>hire artists
And you immeadiately run into the problem with 90% of IP-based card games.

The goddamn art.

I hope you like shitty stills taken from moving footage as card art.

I definitely wouldn't have the budget to do this but have you seen the art for the Harry Potter Card Game?

From the thumbnail, I thought that was furoticon

Today I got the new ancient gear deck. It's really schway.

The first figurine is a Dreamblade mini
The pentagonal plastic card is Hecatomb

Wixoss is legitimately the best tcg I've played. Everything about the rules and gameplay feels so smooth and streamlined. Like most japanese tcgs, it has some problems with power creep, but I think shifting the supported LRIGs with each series helps a lot with keeping it manageable.

How exactly does Wixoss play? I watched two seasons of the anime and it had a few good concepts but overall the show was fairly average but I still don't have a fucking clue how the game itself works, besides the lrig units powering up or some shit

I'm working on a TCG that's going to be free to play, and i'd like to run a patreon to fund the game getting art as it goes along.

Is that something that you personally would spend money on if you liked the game? a few bucks a month to fund new cards and/or art?

>Best graphic design
WoW
>Best art
VS System
>Best gameplay
UFS
>Best collectability
WoW
>Most original
Hecatomb

L5R is second in art and gameplay, the rest don't really have a reason to exist.

>Legend of the Cryptids
>Keystone
>Shadowverse
>Smite Tactics
>Spellweaver
>Heartstone
>Magic Duels
>Epic
>GWENT
You're a bit late to the party.

It'd be a print and play physical game.

Depends on if the game is fun and the art for the first run

please no more, we have to many as it is. most of them are copy paste games anyway

Art alone is not gonna sell it, you'll need to develop a game that doesn't feel like you're just playing a different version of another game.
It can be done, but it's not easy.

Reminder that LCG is the superior business model for consumers.

>TCG
>Free to play
At least one of these words does not mean what you think it means.

>Print and play
Yeah, that is more effort than most people would want to put into it. Think about the asshat who proxies his cards, and how bad it turns out.

This is basically a game in full swing (Umr vs Midoriko). As you can see, each side only has 3 creatures (Signi). When you attack, if there's an opposing signi in the attacker's lane, they battle, otherwise you damage your opponent's life cloth (the face down line in the back, players start with 7).

Mana works quite differently as well. There is no cost to play creatures, instead there is a level limit defined by your LRIG (the white bordered card beside the life cloth lines). Ener (mana, the face-up lines off to the side of each player's field) is used to level up your LRIG and pay for effects. You can send a card from your hand to the ener zone once at the start of your turn, also, all destroyed creatures and crushed life cloth become ener.

So, as long as your opponent can fill each zone (which is usually not too hard), you can't land hits to their life, so this is where the different play styles of each LRIG come into play. Some aim for discard, to deplete the opponent's hand so they have much more trouble filling holes in their defenses (blue), some aim for destruction effects to clear the way (black), some use effects that deal piercing damage through defenders (green). There's also a push and pull as to how much you want to focus on your defense vs offense.

To help all of these plans be more defined, there's the LRIG deck (the face down white cards). Not only does this hold the LRIGs you can level into, but it also holds arts, which are powerful one-shot spell effects.

Yeah, the anime does a terrible job telling you how the game works. covered most of what you need to grasp in your first few games. After that it's all meta stuff, like
>the game gets boring if neither you do your opponent draws their finishers, and it becomes a grindy tug-of-war
>low level SIGNI are your friends, usually
>getting used to the slight color differences between this game and Magic, such as white having bounce but no life gain

Your LRIG doesn't always set your strategy in stone, but there are usually optimal strategies, your ARTS, finishers, and setup cards synergizing with your LRIG. And while a lot of LRIG lay similarly, there are sometimes big and sometimes small differences, like how all black LRIG play with the trash. Ulith puts stuff in her trash to act as a toolbox, Myuu uses her trash like a second hand/resource, Umr's SIGNI bounce between play and the trash as she uses them offensively, defensively, and as cannon fodder.

First off, Hotaru is amazing. Second, I see Wixoss's power creep as an adjustment (though coins are blatantly creepy). While I might be proven wrong as the creep continues, I mostly see the creep as the designers addressing certain meta issues. That bein said, new ARTS too stronk.

Don't forget! There's always a discord you can come hang out in if you like! We love meeting new people! Very friendly, very nice.

An update to the link to the discord

discord.me/wonderlandgames

This is a direct link for anyone who is new. If you do not wish to stay in it, please do us all a favor and LEAVE. I personally don't like a ghost town server.