MtG Story General

"Insecticons, attack!" edition

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/hour-glory-2017-06-21

>half way through the hours
>still no fucking Bolas

If his card hadn't been spoiled already I would half expect Rick Astley to be the last thing to emerge from the gate to the afterlife.

I think it is taking a very melancholic turn what with the gods discovering they have all been deceived. Today's was mostly an action piece but those little snippets of Rhonas's mind were a nice touch.

I'm still thinking "Oketra's Last Mercy" is the saddest card name they've produced in a long time.

Scorpion God is one badass motherfucker, when he ripped the snek apart while saying "Nah Nah Nigga"

>No Bolas

Why hasn't Chandra simply burned the evil gods away? These ones aren't even Eldrazi Titans.

For all she's accomplished on Amonkhet, she may as well have stayed with her mom and sit this adventure out.

You say that, but she's probably gonna roast some locusts soon. I feel like they are using the insect gods as pseudo eldrazi titans, to be defeated by the gatewatch and be "see guise teamwork is stronger than gods" while selling more nissas. Then Bolas comes and wrecks them to sell Archenemy

Where's the Jacetice League during all this?

>tfw you butt-rape a God so hard it severs the ley lines of an old walker and kills the victim

I find it quite ironic that Amonkhet has produced more emotion than the entirety of Kaladesh's supposed moral conflicts. Naktamun is a Paradise Lost allegory if I ever saw one, but still quite entertaining.

Kaladesh, along with all artifact blocks was a mistake.

Spoil me that Scarab God already WOTC

Calling it now, he has something to do with eternalize or similar GY mechanic

As long as it's not mill. I'm so sick of UB's only identity being mill

I think fighting Razaketh.

Nah, he's going to have something like "Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, you may put a -1/-1 counter on it."

That way, having out all three gods together draws you an arbitrary numbers of cards.

How was Rhonas able to die? each of the gods have indestructible. story wise this always means, hard to kill.

Will these new gods be impossible to deal with due to their ability to keep coming back from the dead?

It feels there isn't much to talk about with regards to this story. I liked it, but it was over sooner than I expected.

However, I'm predicting a difference in the story cards, because during Amonkhet like 2 stories contained 2 story cards each, but with Hour of Devastation it looks like it will just be the hours and every weeks it shows another card.

-1/-1 counters are scorp god's thing, and "Hour of Glory" exiles

I don't want to see Hazoret or Oketra die. Especially not Hazoret.

There are five Story Spotlight cards and four Hours. If card five is Samut's Victory or some shit we riot.

I'm pretty sure the last story spotlight card is hour of devastation

So what's the point of Amonkhet if Bolas is just destroying everything? I thought he was going to harvest the gods once they were pumped full of souls, but he apparently had three of his own the whole time.

You just know Samut is going to save some of the people so the plain can rebuild, causes she's a strong independent black women who needs no Dragon God Pharaoh

>I thought he was going to harvest the gods once they were pumped full of souls

I don't know what Amonkhet you're thinking of (even though it sounds interesting), but Nicol Bolas wants to create an undead army called the Eternals that are covered in lazotep and look more like skeletons, and he only kept the mono colored gods to help them train the soon to be dead "worthy"

Now that he doesn't need the 5 mono colored gods, he's sending his 3 Gods he captured long ago to kill the others and just board wipe the crap out of everything

could amonkhet have been made from old phyrexia's remains?

As long as I don't have to see her after this set, I don't care.

>wants to create an undead army called the Eternals
But for what purpose?

Well, the villain in Kaladesh were Bad Boss Tezzeret and Bazinga! Vedalken. There was no moral conflict at all. It was just Jerk Evil vs Good Rebels cause we say so.

I didn't really like how they confined the whole plane to a city, but the deal with the Hours is going quite well. We've actually been given reasons to care. We could've done it without the Jacetice League, tho. Maybe Gideon cuz he's a bro and brings the outsider perspective.

>Nicol Bolas wants to create an undead army called the Eternals that are covered in lazotep

I still don't get this tho. How is this going to give him is oldwalker powers back? It's his main goal, right? The first story of HoD had the short intro of how Nicky B did his thing to Amonkhet. This flashback strongly suggested, at least to me, that the mending was about to happen or had already happened and it's effects would catch up with him soon.

>He had days. Only days until he wouldn't have the magic left to execute this plan. There was just enough time left to put into place the possible means to regain his godhood.

So, how are zombie space marines going to make him an oldwalker again? I just can't figure it out. Sure he can invade other planes an shit, be real powerfull, rule many people etc. But when all is said and done an incredible army still doesn't make him an immortal demi-god like he used to be.

Why isn't he travelling in time or some shit, like Sarkhan, and prevent the mending or the events that let to it? It just bugs me that it's suggested that Amonkhet is invaluable to regaining his godhood and all it seems to be so far is an undead army factory.

he has eyes on the eldrazi and new phyrexia, while i'm starting to get tired of bolas being behind everything i also understand wotc is building him up to be the uber bad hombre that will take the rest of the cast coming together to get rid off after bolas pretty much pees all over the multiverse
eldrazi cannot mutate undead (that's why lilly did ok against Emrakul's horde throwing her undead army at it)
perhaps phyrexian oil cannot affect eldrazi, so bolas is just getting all his pieces together to try and become the ruler of all the multiverse and somehow undo the mending

Oketra's not going to make it, unfortunately.
One can hope for the Pervert

my idea is this bolas make an undead army of eternals (elite zombie warriors)
bolas cracks open innistrad's moon and uses his undead army to make Emrakul his bitch, he then goes to zendikar and uses his army plus emrakul to enslave what remains of the eldrazi
eldrazi not being made of normal flesh might be immune to phyrexian oil or will be used as a step to get somehting that is immune to phyrexian oil
bolas dicks new phyrexia's anus and enslaves them without having to become the father of machine
now bolas control probably 2-3 planes and has the means to move his forces wherever, so he invades that one plane where planeswalker meet and greet (where Koth got introduced to everyone else)
Bolas uses the sparks of hundreds or thousands of neowalkers to ascend to old walkerhood
Jacetice League fucks him over because plot
the end

Amonkhet was pretty much a big waste of time. All of these Gods and the plane in general were created by Wizards so that they could blow something up again.

Unless of course... now wait a minute... Maybe he is going to travel in time, with an army, to stop the events that caused the mending to be necessary.

Wasn't it Phyrexia and the war that caused the time rifts? Would Bolas try and stop old phyrexia before it's invasion of Dominaria?

Bolas himself caused the earliest rift in his fight with another planeswalker that took the form of a demonic leviathan. The Talon Gates are his personal trophy to said first planeswalker battle in the multiverse.
The end of the Brother's War caused another rift when Urza blew everything up, though truth be told Phyrexia was partially involved in that. Though, honestly, even if it wasn't he may well have done that anyways, because Urza.
The Tolarian rift was a direct result of Phyrexia's existence - or rather, Urza trying to undo Phyrexia's existence.
The Invasion caused a few between Teferi phasing shit out and the Rathi overlay.
Biggest rift, however, had nothing to do with Phyrexia and everything to do with Karona's dipshittery.

>The temple has to watch

Fucking this. Super bummed that the story has been as predictable as it's been and that an interesting plane had to get completely shafted in the process. The only good thing about this story has been that the Gatewatch is going to get temporarily disbanded

Isn't there some lore about a dragon corpse in Phyrexia? Bolas went back in time and failed?

>temporarily disbanded
the Gatewatch, or whatever name they take in the future, is coming back
i don't dislike the concept or idea of the main cast of planeswalkers going around doing stuff, but i think WotC uses them too much, planes where the storyline is driven by Gatewatch members should be spaced apart by independent sets where multiverse stuff or new characters happen

>the demonic leviathan was a mutated kiora trying to prevent a worse castastrophe caused by bolas time dickery and also failed

Jesus Christ.

When it's Kaladesh and shit, people keep posting "MAN I CAN'T WAIT FOR YAWGMOTH TO STEAMROLL IN WITH PHYREXIA AND CRUSH EVERYTHING"
But when a plane (and not even a good one at that) does suffer consequences, the reaction is suddenly disappointment and sadness?

We pretty much knew Amonkhet was going to suffer from the start, deal with it. There's nothing interesting about the world at all.

>everyone has the same opinions

I enjoyed Kaladesh for what it was and didn't care for Amonkhet getting introduced just to get steamrolled. It was an interesting plane conceptually but the inevitable "hurr durr Bolas smash muh UNLIMITED POWAH" ending is boring

>Bolas is creating an army to fight the Phyrexians
>He's the good guy all along

So phyrexia was basically the cause of at least 3 of these rifts, 4 if you question wether Karona would have come to be in a timeline where phyrexia never invaded. Still seems like phyrexia would be a good target. He could close his own rift be deceiving some poor walker sod to give up his spark/life, like Teferi did.

Godhood retained.

Hell, this block in and of itself would've worked better without the whole group showing up.
Have Gideon and Nissa go to keep an eye on things, try to figure out what Bolas is doing. Ditch the demon entirely.
Gideon ends up doing the same shit he already did, Nissa does the same. The Hour of Revelation is caused automatically. The two planeswalkers try to do what they can to save people instead of trying to take on Bolas (which is pointless).
Now the plot's tighter overall

Karona would've still happened had Phyrexia never invaded. Otaria was essentially untouched by the Invasion and all the key players were natives of that continent, and her resurrection was the result of a bunch of bullshit caused by some OTHER fucks pulling off their resurrection rituals in tandem.
The only way Karona wouldn't have happened is if the Phyrexians WON.

>Phyrexia was created by a walker who preferred the form of a dragon
>Bolas gets defeated
>In a last ditch effort goes back in time to create another plane
>Dies in the process
>He accidentally creates Phyrexia

it's not possible in the slightest but it would be funny

pretty much
place lily's demon target somewhere else (or not since she's still a selfish bitch that would temporarily abandon her teammates to go nab the fucker)
chandra and jace has no business being there, other than showing off how powerful bolas is by taking on the entire team, and they could have achieved that by arriving at the last momento just to get cockslapped as they try to help gid and niss

>Implying Phyrexia didn't win

I don't see Urza but I do see Phyrexians

Checkmate, Walkers.

>implying the Raven man isn't Urza

>Urza
>Not Gix

According to the narrative, Razakek was already gone.

You mean the black walker or the consultant cause sadly neither are going away any day soon.

Urza is gone. Yawgmoth is gone.
Neither of them are coming back. The best that will happen is getting a card in a supplemental product of one or both in the past.
Wizards may be good at wording things such that people think they're saying things they're not, but they don't outright lie, and they've stated that Urza and Yawgmoth are not coming back in no uncertain terms multiple times

Today's story takes place immediately as the Luxa turns to blood, which we now know also unleashed the three other gods. While all this was going on and Rhonas was getting killed, the Gatewatch were off elsewhere dealing with Razaketh. The opening lines of the story are referring to Razaketh clawing at his own arm to cause blood to drip into the Luxa, not him dying.

Do you seriously think we'll ever go back to Amonkhet, or see Samut leave it? If so, you're being paranoid over nothing.

not him, but:
i don't mind there being black planeswalkers aroudn, but the one we had (Koth) is either dead or engaged in a plane we won't soom visit
we already have a black lady planeswalker from the conspiracy block, they just printed her and forgot her
we have that other brown walker woman from kaladesh
and now the new GR walker black lady, wtf
will ixalan now introduce some new ethnic woman planeswalker? the rebel planeswalker from non-egypt could have been from one of the beast races and it would have made no difference
like domri rade, samut is going to do her shit in her plane and never be heard of again

I probably misinterpreted the "Whatever spell the now-absent demon had unleashed" part then.

>will ixalan now introduce some new ethnic woman planeswalker?
As a matter of fact...

I wonder what new delicious brown waifu they'll give us next.

Technically a spic so...

They didn't forget about Kaya, she's just a part of the Conspiracy plane and we haven't gotten a new Conspiracy set yet.

all of them women
all of them ethnic
all of them one trick ponies
meanwhile garruk had to become some AIDs ridden rapist, koth is MIA, Tezzeret is Bolas's dildo, Sorin is encased in (agony) stone
at least ugin and sarkhan are smoking pot having a good time
wouldn't have minded the not-amerindian girl being in bikini mail, but i guess WotC has decided their fantasy art can never exhibit Royo levels of fun anymore

Why would she be in bikini mail?

The only thing I ask is that Gideon goes full Guts when his waifu dies. For all the twirly dramatic bullshit that sorcery can do for a fight scene, the best ones we've had are one man beating an entire room into the ground with his fists

>spic
amerindian if anything
spic is derogatory for hispanic, there were no hispanics in america before Columbus

Some of the cards show survivors. There's a good chance of a Return to Amonkhet where we get the survivors rediscovering the true past of their plane, to get the modern archaeology/ohfuckmummy Egypt stuff taken care of.

why is she in plate armor? those culture never developed advanced metallurgy and the methods to produce it
my complain is, if they are going to give us waifus then give us saucy waifus in tantalizing outfits, if they are doing this to be PC then they should make a new TCG revolving around that crowd
how many useless walkers do we have now? even after the mending those niggas are supposed to be rare, now every plane the Watch visits ends up having a new quirky one hanging around

They learn how they wuz kangs before the oppressive dragon enslaved them all.

>tfw Harthag's spark will NEVER ignite
>he will never planeswalk to an ongoing battle and literally curbstomp the gatewatch out of nowhere

Still waiting for the day they try to kill Bolas, get close, and all the shit hits the fan.
New Phyrexia didn't know it, but their true LORD was never the memory of Yog, but in fact the corrupt remnants of Urza. Who is purified by Karn after being ressurected to Oldwalker existance.
Urza wipes out the Phyrexians, Bolas dies to newwalkers, who then are suckered by Urza to hunt down the Real Phyrexia and Yog...
New walkers help, and destroy them both, because those two are scary supergods, and both are too dangerous to exist.

>those culture never developed advanced metallurgy and the methods to produce it
They never used dinosaurs as mounts or brofisted merfolks either.

>those culture never developed advanced metallurgy and the methods to produce it

Oh yeah, I remember the ancient civilization of Ixalan that rode dinosaurs. That must mean she should wear armor that would be absolutely awful for the climate.

Walkers are a one in a million people. Which is a lot when you consider the sheer amount of planes, and the amount of people on those planes.

>backstory clearly shows the eight gods existing and ruling peacefully before Bolas interferes

Quit shitposting

true, and the human culture in the GRW alaran shard felt more amerindian than this

>beautiful

I really like the old desert gods showing up and murdering Bolas' shiny servants, that was literally the one thing I wanted them to do for HoD

>Egyptian Qts are a huge turn on for me
>Hope for pic related
>Get Kangz instead

Feels Bad

>Walkers are a one in a million people.
not all of them need cards
not all of them need to have their spark ignited when the Watch dicks around in their plane for the first time

Yeah she looked alright

>I really like Bola's mindless enslaved Gods showing up and murdering Bolas' shiny servants

Sounds retarded.

And they don't. Dovin Baan was a planeswalker before the Gatewatch showed up, so was Saheeli Rai, and Ob Nixilis, and Arlin Kord. So basically all the planeswalkers except Samut since the Gatewatch formed.

Planeswalker is a card type whether you like it or not, and they'll have a couple cards per set to support that type. Just like they wouldn't have a modern set completely devoid of artifacts.

...did you even read the story?

My best guess is that bolas, after wiping the floor with the gatewatch and buttfucking amonkhet, goes "see ya bitches" and takes his zombies and his gods to another unknown plane that will be teased in archenemy to seize some artifact or power instrumental in his rise to godhood.

>implying a give a fuck about the story
I just wanted to see more giant desert stuff like this guy they put in amonkhet

>a couple cards per set
2 in amonkhet planeswalker decks
2 in HoD planeswalker decks
new lilly in amonkhet
new nissa in amonkhet
new gideon in amonkhet
new bolas in HoD
samut's intro in HoD
that's a lot of walker cards, even if you ignore the planeswalker decks that is not a couple of walker cards per set

>I'm going to talk out of my ass and then act like there's nothing wrong with that

Is it too much to ask for Egyptian in the Egyptian block?

You seem to be confusing block for set. But I agree that there have been too many Gatewatch planeswalkers, but as you describe it there are at most a few planeswalkers per set: 3 in Amonket and 2 in HoD. Planeswalker decks are another thing entirely, even if they are standard legal, and I wouldn't expect stuff designed for new players to be devoid of planeswalkers.

according to Wotc, yes

Is it too much to ask for /pol/ to leave Magic threads? Based on the last couple years, apparently it is.

>there is no person of color trying to save other persons of color

In what fucking world does this matter

I just want to play a fucking fantasy card game without getting politics and stuff like this shoved down my throat.

>doesn't care about story
>in a story thread
Leave

there is literally no reason to care about the overarching story of a children's card game

Okay

(you)

Rhonas's last might

Honestly, what purpose does the story have other than throwing out contrived reasons for putting black folk in their art?

They were kinda fighting the demon....