How do you protect yourself from medusa's gaze?

How do you protect yourself from medusa's gaze?

Is it enough that she can't make eye contact? Could you wear dark shades or goggles to stop yourself from turning to stone?

Or must you yourself avoid from looking her in the eyes? Could you squint or something so that you only see a blur and can't distinct her eyes from her face?

Or must you go thoroughly blind? In that case, what's the range of her gaze? Could she look up at a bird high in the sky and turn it to stone by accident?
>Plot hook: stone birds falling down from the sky into a nearby village, one hits the paladin in the head

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/n9lzsF0PrJE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Only intelligent creatures can be affected.

A bird probably wouldn't turn to stone because it has no idea what it's looking at.

If we go by mythology - shades or anything else the gaze passes THROUGH are no protection. But reflection of the gaze is safe. So I would imagine some sort of periscope goggles.
Also the creatures lives in in known location, so maybe just douse the whole place in flammable fluid and burn it down?

So if you turn to stone by looking at here and the first part that turns to stone are your eyes shouldnt only your eyes turn to stone then?

It's not some kind of eye-beam. Her face is so terrible to behold that you turn to stone. The only way dark glasses would work is if they were dark enough that you couldn't see her.

>Could you squint or something so that you only see a blur
Theoretically this should work, but you'd have to do it perfectly, and in practice, I think that's impossible. You'd end up getting too good a look, and you'd be screwed.

But what about the shield?

Doggy style it's not that hard to figure out

Cant you just pretend she's good looking?

Considering the nature of the curse, if you have a fetish for snakewomen you won't turn to stone.

But the whole point of the "curse" was that she'd no longer be raped by anyone, so I think there's more under the surface than her mere looks.

I mean conventionally speaking she doesn't look that terrible anyway.

But how do you differentiate between rape and love?

Welding mask and a flamethrower, SS13 style.

Artists keep drawing them as 'hot woman with snake hair' instead of actually making medusa look fucked up. Even when you google 'actually ugly medusa' its 5/10s at worst.

You don't.
That's why it's a curse.

>But what about the shield?
I always interpreted it as being an imperfect image and that if you used a good mirror rather than a mirrored shield, you'd end up being turned to stone. I'm not sure if that's borne out in the mythology though. Of course, the mythology changed rather radically over time, so it's possible that it fits with some versions but not others.

I suppose another way to interpret it would be that you have to behold her directly and that any reflection would fail to convey the true terribleness of her visage. But Occam's razor argues for the first way, I think.

>Artists keep drawing them as 'hot woman with snake hair' instead of actually making medusa look fucked up
To be fair, that dates back to the fifth century BC, and the myth was still evolving back then.

Night vision goggles.

>I mean conventionally speaking she doesn't look that terrible anyway.
Everybody forgets the beards and brass claws.

>Considering the nature of the curse, if you have a fetish for snakewomen you won't turn to stone.
I think her visage is objectively terrible.

Classically she was turned so ugly that looking at her turned you to stone. A polished shield was useful because the reflection was distorted enough to lose the horrid details. Also the effect still worked on beasts birds and bees. This was important because before Poseidon raped her and Athena fucked her over after doing nothing to help, Medusa was famed for her love and kindness, sharing flower crowns with her priestess sisters. and her favorite food was fruit dipped in honey. After she was cursed by her supposed protector, her visage killed the bees in the area, leaving plants fruitless and soon resulting in a barren wasteland.

C A N O N

Polish your shield

I expected this to be posted sooner

Nigga Just Walk Away From Medusa Like Nigga Close Your Eyes Haha

i'd sooner polish my spear for a medusa

even the lonely ugly ones

especially the lonely ugly ones

/thread

Would beer goggles work?

Does a rock elemental turn into stone?

does a rock elemental have eyes

It's rock hard already, baby.

Two ways to avoid Medusa fuck you up.

Firstly be a woman. Her curse only petrified men.

Secondly don't go into her temple. She's a borderline hermit who only talks to the lesser priestesses of her temple and the temple is not in the center of town.

Can a barbarian with less than 5 INT get away with it?

By a random freak occurence Medusa's face triggers a processing error in visual cortex of the human brain. This causes a seizure centered in the motor cortex leading to total muscle lock up and paralysis. Prolonged exposure and repeated seizures lead to brain damage and make the paralysis permanent. Approximately 99.5% of population is affected.
Medusa's face is not symmetrical, thus seeing her reflection (singularly reversed) in a mirror does not trigger the effect. High quality lossless photographs and videos (at least 2 MP from a distance of 1 m) of Medusa's face also provoke seizures.
Standard visual memetic attack prevention and mitigation methods are effective against it.

>Firstly be a woman. Her curse only petrified men.
[citation needed]

I fucked up, I don't think it's been said anywhere that women are immune, only that it is never said anywhere that she petrified women.

Although that might be because she never encountered any.

Or maybe I'm making it all up in my sleep deprived way.

I'd allow it cause it's hilarious.

>Foolish mortal! Dare you cast your gaze upon me?!
>youtu.be/n9lzsF0PrJE

>I fucked up, I don't think it's been said anywhere that women are immune, only that it is never said anywhere that she petrified women.
Women aren't usually in the thick of the action in Greek mythology, but even if your theory is unsupported, it could make for an interesting RPG dynamic. Depending on the setting, it would significantly depower gorgons though.

Only if you never avert your eyes from her tits instead.

>She's a borderline hermit who only talks to the lesser priestesses of her temple and the temple is not in the center of town.
Is she /our girl/?

That would actually be a pretty cool idea for a location. A town in a war torn area built up around a temple dedicated to a local Medusa. She never leaves the temple except to protect the town, and spends the rest of her time willingly secluded except for blind servants attend her and talk to.

She's really nice, and actually hates what she is, but this is the only way she could figure out to live with people and not be some crazy hermit lady.

Once a year, she dressed in heavy veils that totally mask her form and hide her eyes, and goes out to watch the local festival. This is the closest thing to interacting with the town she protects that she really gets.

The town is ringed with the petrified bodies of people who have attempted to prey upon the town, placed there as warnings not to fuck with the place.

> weeping angels situation
> make armor out of mirrors that covers all sides of you, with rear view mirrors on your shoulders so you can glance behind yourself with ease.
> build in some LEDs so I am never in complete darkness
> carry a hammer and chisel

If this turns out to be vampires I'm going to feel REALLY stupid, but for this one particular monster I am their worst nightmare.

Has someone been reading Blindsight?

most myths have you turn to stone due to its sheer ugliness
reflections were usable since they distorted the view, specifically a convex metal mirror like a shield, a perfect venetian mirror would not hinder it

shades would work, but only if they were on medusa, not on you, since it would break up her horrible visage and lessen the impact

>How do you protect yourself from medusa's gaze?

You're just now figuring this out? Hermit monster girl (who's "ugly") that could use a friend. Hell, media is probably one of the root causes of tg's monster girl fetish

Wasn't the point of the reflective shield that it would turn *her* to stone?

>Wasn't the point of the reflective shield that it would turn *her* to stone?
No. Perseus wanted her head. He used the shield to see her reflection and cut off her head.

>Wasn't the point of the reflective shield that it would turn *her* to stone?
That only works in Nethack

As I interpret it when running game (unless, of course, setting varies), it is a curse.
Those people who meet the gaze of the cursed one are petrified. Not beasts, but Druids in beast for do.
This means eye contact. A veil, unless opaque, won't offer protection, but a reflection denature the danger.

How does my current character protect himself?
Well, he sends a missive ahead. Usually via animal messenger or an ornithopter courtesy of the party gnome. When he gets a return letter (a drop box location near her layer is used), he then drops in for tea. As a sign of trust, he usually wears a blindfold. He also is a bard with a fairly high charisma and some social and entertainment skills, but not the highest Wisdom. I'm fairly certain this particular dinner party host is going to prove more perilous than she has been thus far. Either way, still worth it.

Wait a minute, the curse states that she's a snek so that she can't be raped by men?
Since the gods are assholes..does that mean that women can molest her 24/7?