Warhammer 40K starting off

Rolled 18, 10, 20, 11 = 59 (4d20)

I have very little money and I would like to get in to Warhammer 40k, any suggestions for a cheap, good army

On an additional note, I have a box of ~30 space marines some of which are broken which I got when I was like 7
they are mostly infantry
four of which have jump packs
I then have two terminators and an apothecary

Would any of these be of use?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=VWWu9Ny8cW8
youtube.com/watch?v=AhnjvllaX18
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>I have very little money and I would like to get in to Warhammer 40k
No. Don't. Abort!

buy the dark vengeance set thats going on sale right now for cheap and build a big chaos army out of it (the dark angels just need a lil converting)

you get a stupid amount of miniatures in that set

Give up. You can't buy miniatures and paint them if you don't have money unless you already have paints and supplies from building Gundam or military models. Having those means you can just focus on buying miniatures which will help.

My suggestion to you is to save $50 every month and after 3-6 months you will be completely set up. But since you have very little money right now you are probably jobless and/or incapable of simple budgeting.

The ultimate in poor mans poorhammer
m.youtube.com/watch?v=VWWu9Ny8cW8
>as long as you have a printer and a program like photoshop

The cheapest you could possibly play for (using the skirmish rules) is still near or over USD100, without paints, if you don't have to buy clippers/knife to cut the molds.

If you need tools/or and want to paint, the cheapest you're going to get is still nearly USD200 (even if you don't use GW paints, brushes, clippers, or knives).

A low cost army (game points wise) to purchase the models and paint them is going to run you USD300+. Some shops insist on playing with 2,500 point armies (or even larger) and those can easily be more than USD500.

There is no such thing as a universe in which the words "Games Workshop" and "cheap" come together.

>I have very little money

Listen to these guys, OP. Minis games of this scale are for people with deep pocket. Jumping into them will require you spend a ton of money and will leave you dissatisfied because every time you spend your limited funds on a model that looked cool but was useless on the table it will erode your patience and enjoyment of the game.

>I have very little money and I would like to get in to Warhammer 40k, any suggestions for a cheap, good army
Space marines. Low model count, much available second hand.
People are somewhat right, it is kinda expensive and the secondary expenses (paints, brush etc) eat up a sizeable portion. However it is also a collectors hobby that does function kinda well if you add a litte each month.
Fortunately the rules are 'free' i.e. the basic rules are. Download them from the GW site or get them at a GW store. The only book you really need is the Index imperium one for space marines. (links to much can be found in the 40kgeneral here....)

>On an additional note, I have a box of ~30 space marines some of which are broken which I got when I was like 7
learn the following:
-Strip minis of paint
-how to use a knife and glue to repair models.

>they are mostly infantry
>four of which have jump packs
read through lists people post and understand how to equip squads. (Its not that hard, resources see above)

Good luck. Buy only the paints you really need first. you can add little things later on.

And watch some videos on brush-care. fukkers are very sensitive

Play Shadow War: Armagaddon. You can buy a box of regular dudes, and have a full team in many cases. The amount of painting is also minimal, and will let you know if it's the right hobby for you. SW:A generals pop up from time to time, pirate the rules from there (or buy the box, whatever).
If you like the small scale, then consider the HUGE drop off into the bottomless hole that is this hobby.
Also get a fucking job, you bum

Buy a pack of badly mangled space marine scouts off ebay for dirt cheap, strip them of paint, illegally download the shadow war armageddon rules. Boom, now you can play SWAG.
40k itself is a lot more expensive though. ebay is still your friend, but if that doesn't work the start collecting boxes are great.

People have already sounded off on this hobby not being cheap, but another idea if you're looking for the game and not the hobby side is to play over VASSAL or Tabletop Simulator. I played two games this week over TTS and it's honestly quite good.

Not him, but I tried that shit at my local GW and the hit and wound resolution rules were like sandpaper on my balls.

Any link to those Shadow Wars rules?

>Some shops insist on playing with 2,500 point armies (or even larger)

Now you're just saying things to turn him off. This is barely ever the case.

Usual points ranges are 1.5k-2k.

If you're new, people will be willing to go 500-1000pts for you.

I've seen more than a few shops that regularly play over 2K in 7E. 2500 would usually be the norm in those stores. These are the kinds of faggots who don't know how to build a list without taking everything they want. If they actually play such large and unwieldy games, it's very realistic that they'd refuse to play smaller games, otherwise they wouldn't have such a retardedly high local bracket to begin with.

also for paints, you don't need miniature paints.

Have a simple spray-on primer. That comes in a can.

Buy acrylic paints from an art shop. The ones that come in tubes. Cheaper.

Make sure to seal you rminiatures in with spray fixative after.

There. Much cheaper.

Might as well not paint your models at all if you're going to do that. That's like telling a new driver to buy a self-built car kit since it's cheaper than buying a factory made car.

In the OP.

>I can't comprehend 3 pages of rules.

Fuck what everyone else is saying. The Dark Imperium box is an amazing value. Either split it with a friend or two or buy it yourself and sell/trade what you don't want. I'm pretty sure the DG army is like 900pts and the Primaris army is 1000. You're already halfway there for $60-$80.

A good place to start is the $80 start collecting set, and some cheap plastic model glue from your local Wal-Mart, Target, Meijer, Mart Mart. You will also need some spur clippers or some very fine wire clippers. They are the same thing almost most sprue clippers have a spring on them so they pop back open easier. I would recommend for a starting army that is less expensive.
Chaos Space Marines
Regular Space Marines (Ultra Marines, Salamanders, Imperial Fists, Raven guard)
Blood Angels

Here is why you will need less paint to paint space marines. You will need the following
Black
Your power armor's primary color
A second color that is close
Gun Metal
Chainmail.

Ask your store if they have equivalents. Personally I recommend either Army Painter brand paints or Vallejo brand.

Next you will need a can of Primer. Ask WIP for a good brand, but I believe that a can that will last you most of what you will ever be doing should be no more than $10 and they might know a good one for $4 that you can buy at a Walmart, or other store.

So adding it all up...your looking at $85 for the start collecting kit
Roughly 6 paints (including a wash) at 4.50 each$27
Brushes lets say roughly $10
and the clippers or exact knife $5
$127

After that my recommendation is buy, build, paint and then add to your army 1 new kit a month. budgeting about $50 a month for expansions to your army.

Is right on the money, if you get the dark imperium set and you sell one faction you can buy the supplies needed to finish the one you want to keep and be set to play

huh?

I don't see the analogy.

It's essentially: buy paint from somewhere else.

Paint like normal.

Do you people seriously need special branded paints to paint your little plastic men?

Because the only brand I really need is Reeves.

The Primaris part is around 900-1k points. Can't find the captain so just stuck in a normal one first.

If you think dollar store acrylics and high concentration fine ground pigment hobby paint are the same thing you're a dipshit.

And here's the DG one. Only 850 points but that's just following the box description. I'm sure you can put marks and wargear and shit that'll push them to 10k.

Here's the DA from DV. Only 750ish points. Surprising (or are Primaris just overcosted right now?)

The DV Chaos is surprisingly...cheap. 500 points. ish.

Lol @ triggered U

Y know I've won at least three painting trophies/medals/plaques for my figs.

In the end, it's the skill, son. But go use your "ground pigment hobby paint" as a crutch for your "tabletop standard" minis.

Wait. Five. If you include "Best Painted Army" @ tourneys.

>LOL TRIGGERED XD
>I'VE WON FUCKING MEDALS BRAH

Holy fucking shit neck yourself you autist.

>In the end, it's the skill, son

Exactly, and new painters don't have the skill to work with subpar paints. Good painters also don't brag, so nice try. Your posts do nothing but out yourself as a loser and shit painter, three times in a row. Want to try for four?

Even among canvas artists, Reeve's is a low quality brand. You can use tube acrylics if you want but they require too much thinning to be useful.

Nigga these are scientific facts you can verify between brands. If you take one paint, paint one stroke, then take another paint, and paint another stroke, the paint with more pigment will have more opaque coverage. Even the paints you're talking about have different prices because the more expensive ones have more expensive pigments

Buy 2nd-hand, learn how to cast minis (there are plenty of resources online - google and youtube are your friends), learn how to paint properly (again, google and youtube). I've just started playing 40k again with 8e after leaving the game around 3e. I picked up a collection of orks (half of them still in their boxes) for around $75, which gave me boyz, nobs, bikes, koptas, a mek gun and a warboss, so I have almost everything I need. I've started casting additional copies of the stuff I'm short on, and will add the few units I still need over the next few months, as resources permit.
Learning the skills of crafting, modelling & painting can save you a bucketload of money in this hobby. Knowledge is your friend.

As someone who just started a SoB army and is building it slowly, that sounds like my nightmare. Fortunately most of the people at my GW like quicker, smaller games.

If you want to get into 40k, and only 40k then your best bet is going to be getting the new starter box Dark Imperium. Then you'll have the rulebook, enough mini's to play games, and the rules for those mini's to play games. That alone should set you up for a few months, just take your time painting up the models that come with the starter set.

Since this is a new edition, their aren't even proper codex books out for any of the armies (I would't waste cash on those Index books with the temporary rules for each army), so their is honestly no reason to rush building up an army.

Dollar tube paints can be workable, not the best or easiest to use, but if you can avoid glopping paint on to minis carelessly you'll be fine. Drybrushing and washes are your friends, they'll save you lots of effort.

If on the other hand your just interested in loading up on mini's and would like space marines or chaos space marines, there is always the 2 Horus Heresy games GW released. It'll load you up with a ton of tactical marines. But you'll also still need to buy the rulebook and index books (which will likely be outdated quickly), so I'd still say the Dark Imperium box is your best bet.

On the hobby side, Adeptus Astartes or Heretic Astartes might be a bit cheaper since you don't need as many paints for something like Astra Militarum or Aeldari. An ultramarine for instance, you could do 5th company. You just need blue, black, red, metallic, and black shade/wash for tabletop standard.

You could just download a .pdf of the rulesets and use online versions of the table tops to play and see if you like it before you drop money on an army.

>and use online versions of the table tops to play
Where are those? I want those!

nope. the whole point of primaris is they are the more expensive, less flexible elite. they are the custodes to the SM gray knights.

less flexible because the new shit hasnt come out yet

Table top simulator should be your friend my dear

Here you go
youtube.com/watch?v=AhnjvllaX18