Starfinder General /sfg/

Starfinder General /sfg/

What are your hopes for capstone abilities for the classes?

Starfinder First Contact: drive.google.com/file/d/0BwsQBh5kjjpIdjdycXJOSUNIVFU/view

Starfinder Blog Previews: paizo.com/paizo/blog/tags/starfinder

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/rougarou/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No fucking clue, I just want to be a goddamn robot. None of this Blade Runner shit, I wanna shout DANGER WILL ROBINSON and shoot niggas with a big Robot gun.

>Paizo

Its going to be shit just like Pathfinder, go back to your containment thread, faggot

Will you join the march of the Azlanti Star Empire and God-Emperor Aroden?

Agreed.

At least give us scifi fantasy version of Warforged!

>t. /pgg/ shilling faglord trying to stir shit

I hear you, man.

Mecha rules when?

Are the d20 Mecha rules good enough to use as a stand-in?

Is anyone else just not impressed by most of the bestiary entries?

I was hoping for something more focused instead of Star Wars style spamming every weird thing they can think of plus humans with funny faces.

Is Starfinder going to have spaceship mechanics and stuff like Rogue Trader does?

It does! There is even starship combat, where every class has a role during ship to ship combat.

A friend of mine is under NDA, he's specifically looked at the rulebooks, and has told me there's no "mecha" type deals in the core book, but there is crap like power armor and terminator armor, ala Warhammer 40k.

the devs have gone on record that we'll be getting "gundams" sometime in the future.

Well, maybe it's because those 'bestiary entries' are literally just quick-play designs using the incredibly shitty fast monster creation rules from Pathfinder with only small nods to Starfinder's mechanical changes?

First contact is not a bestiary. Alien Archive will be, once we get access to it, but First Contact is utterly ignorable and terribly edited.

Any big buff alien beastmen types? Or is it literally going to 'hurr lizardfolk, but IN SSPPAAACCEEE!!' ??

Even Warhammer 40k has more development for its Space Elves and Space Orcs than that.

We all know we want to do the SUPERMAN

Why so butthurt user?

Frankly I just hope we get to actually use them. It always seems like no one ever plays to max level because it's implied you've become a demi god at that point. From the looks of it the tone of the levels have been dialed down so while you may (or may not) become a semi divine being you could just be a super badass instead.

But really i want to see what archetypes they have and how well they will mesh with the themes because there are already a few character I want to make just based on the class/themes alone.

There's going to be conversion rules for all the Pathfinder races, including the Rougarou
d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/rougarou/

mite be gud

Pretty much every monster, item, etc from Pathfinder can be copied & pasted to Starfinder mechanics-wise, right?

But will there be....

ULFEN IN SPACE?

Is Starfinder using the Great Wheel?
I kind of want to aply a space tiefling.

>dialed down
I don't know if that's the tone I got from the stuff I've read and watched. It saeems more like they're doing away with some of the cheesy bullshit casters can do in pathfinder, and bringing warrior types up to par.

I did the math a little bit ago, and soldiers with a decent gun at level 10 can do more damage than a moderately well optimized blaster sorcerer, and with more staying power both in terms of offense and defense.

No, Paizo has nothing to do with The Great Wheel cosmology. It is not Spelljammer, either. It is the science fiction future version of their Pathfinder setting, now In Space!

The equipment rules alone bring some parity for warrior types. At least, it seems like they can rival or outshine anything a dedicated evocationfag could do in Pathfinder. Plus actual utility stuff, like the Operative's cloaking field.

Yes, demons, devils, angels, and whatever are still around. It's literally just the Pathfinder universe - which runs on a modified Great Wheel cosmology - but in the future, so magic, demons, and shit are all still around.

In fact, interstellar travel is done through exploiting the space between planes to get from one place to another. the trick is that you might drag some of said plane into the Drift with you, and then you'll be dealing with some seriously pissed Angels.

And, just to confirm, all pathfinder races will be able to be converted for Starfinder.

What if I wanted to run a game like MGR, where everyone is a crazy cyborg ninja?

Is that possible in Starfinder?

Will it be compatible with Path of War?

The Drift is literally the Warp from 40k.

I'd say its pretty far removed from The Great Wheel at this point which is great because Planescape sucks.

Will it be uggo western style armor, a hybrid like modern Btech (pic related), or pure Jap-o-nese anime power armor?

>crazy cyborg ninja
Technically speaking, it's already possible in Pathfinder, just incredibly shitty. In Starfinder, I can't see any issues with cybering up as an operative or soldier and just going ham; a friend of mine has stated that melee weapons are a totally viable option, though maybe not as balls-to-the-wall amazing as some ranged weapons can get.

>Path of War
We'll need to spend some time doing proper conversions to make it work, but yes.

Being fair, it's the warp if it didn't replace your brain with spiders or turn your bones into pretzel sticks. You can actually stop in the Drift and hang out on floating islands there.

We don't know. The aesthetics haven't really been touched on yet, but everything we've seen so far (which is admittedly little) has had very strong Mass Effect overtones to it.

What if I LIKE being raped by daemons for all eternity?

>mass effect art direction

its shit desu

None of you have asked the most important question yet;

Will there be cute mecha fembots?

Considering the nature of the Drift there could be a piece of the Abyss floating around with pissed off demons on it so you can go all Event Horizon

So if your thing is taking hot demon dick I hope you're into bondage with maggots and barbed wire.

I don't believe there's anything stopping you from playing a Demon/Devil/Daemon cultist. Asmodeus, in fact, is still around even.

Eh, they have some decent stuff.

Spess wizards will rule, martials BTFO.

Is Starfinder going to kill Rogue Trader?

IT COULD BE BETTER

Nigga, Rogue Trader is already dead

Could be worse!

Plus, we haven't seen what they want to do with Power Armor or mechs at all, yet.

FFG lost the license. Its dead, friendo.

If you're lucky GW will make a new TTRPG set during the current Warhammer 40k: Dark Imperium timeline.

You haven't shown me anything actually good so I'm gonna keep posting superior future armor.

I just want to be a damn robot with a gun. Why must I be disappointed at every turn?

'Its too hard to relate to, user. Now enjoy this human with LED panel lines on their skin and gender dysphoria! Its ssooo different but relatable! =^)'

Think about how I feel, wanting to be a bio-armor monstrosity but even scifi fags are like 'DURR THAT'S GAY AND NOT REALISMS' at every turn.

You niggers all piss me off.

I might post something good, if you tell me what you like.

It's paizo - they believe they can balance "mechanically good" versus "thematically awesome". Their literal excuse for not buffing paladin during the beta testing of Pathfinder was "It's a class with superior roleplaying opportunities", which lasted all of about half an hour before the playtesters instructed them exactly on why that was moronic.

I'm pretty sure he was just lamenting that we don't know if we'll be able to play robots other than Androids, which aren't the boxy sort of things I like either.

I like western heavily inspired by Japanese aesthetics. Unironically. They do good robots, or at least good frameworks for them. But just a little too clean or oddly shaped for my tastes.

To be fair, they did make Paladin better, and its probably one of the best if not the best martial class.

you mean like the mechs from Armored Core?

What class/themes are you guys hyped to try?

Or something like Landmates from Appleseed, and their equivalent from Ghost in the Shell.

Power armor I'd need to go digging, but I really like most of Infinity's aesthetic.

And cyborgs, hands down Metal Gear Rising ones look fantastic.

The trick is that that was only after the playtesters found it to be utter shit and complained very loudly. If I recall correctly, the same thing almost happened again with the Hunter from the Advanced Class Guide.

But they've decided to only do internal beta testing for Starfinder.

Soldier, hands down. I've been wanting to play a good martial for a while now.

Something like this, for power armor.

Soldier or Operative both look really fun.

The one i'm scared for is Envoy. Looks like its pretty .. devoid of anything interesting.

>First Contact doesn't represent real monster rules in Starfinder.
Come on. That's obviously not feasible. RPG design mandates designing your challenges (in this case, benchmark monsters you'll base stuff off of) before your characters. Even if it didn't- or Paizo is so awful they screwed up something that basic- they've done playtesting and run demo games, this is known. Paizo has finalized stat blocks for monsters, it's not debatable.

Do you think they then went back and made a shitty hack for PFU monster generation to build monsters for First Contact specifically to fuck with you? Do you think that's actually more likely than this just being how monsters work in Starfinder? Face it, the future is CR 4, has 52 HP, 16 EAC, and 18 KAC.

>But they've decided to only do internal beta testing for Starfinder.

Didn't they do that for the Vigilante though? and it turned out to be probably the best non-caster, hands down.

I don't mind the standardized stat values, its easier to balance classes around. What I am afraid of is their abilities being boring and every fight still being 'you/the monster moves 5 feet and Full Attacks' if neither have spell equivalents.

>The one i'm scared for is Envoy. Looks like its pretty .. devoid of anything interesting.
See, I asked my friend who's under NDA about that - he said the only classes that don't look mechanically interesting at all are Mechanic and Technomancer, implying Envoy has something going good for it.

I'll give you that.

no, they're literally wrong for statblocks. Check the space goblin's AC values - they don't take into account the Dexterity ratings. One guy's sniper rifle deals 1d810+5 damage. The Fast Monster Creation rules are the only explanation for them getting so much shit wrong.

I prefer my mechs and robots to be more boxy looking, I admit, but you've got top-tier taste for cyborgs.

Who else is excited for some GOOD HONEST SHOOTBANGS?

So is DnD 3.5 in that regard. Doesn't stop people from playing it.

I think there is a place for both smooth-sleek, round and boxy mecha, even within the same universe.

Does anyone else want to play a kitsune in space in Starfinder?

lol barely

Its all 5e and PF. There is no 3.5 community large enough to warrant attention anymore.

fucking 3.pf shit please go. stop ruining the hobby with your AIDS

>sage_goes_in_all_fields

At worst, you're looking at different manufacturers. It's a pretty solid excuse.

FPBP

Can't you do bionic armor hulk as some form a synthisist summoner?

You know what, kitsunefag?

Sure.

I am actually more okay with gay ass foxes in space than I am you trying to shove them into not!Europe at every turn. Its space, who gives a fuck anymore. Go shove plasma casters up your butthole for all I care.

You may not know this, because nobody who doesn't work at Paizo has actually used the system beyond detecting how bad it is, but PFU's monsters don't use ability scores for anything other than skill and ability checks. They're not wrong, ability scores just flat out don't matter as much for monsters.

You can, Aegis can sort of do it to, but its just /not the same/ RRREEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm a huge fan of RIFTS' Splicer off-shoot game but no one plays it, and most people give strange looks when you do anything biomechanical or body-horror related unless you're playing a monster of some sort.

The more I see of Starfinder the more it feels like Guardians of the Galaxy: Tabletop Edition

Throw in Mass Effect and 40k, and you'd be right.

They literally said the ysoki exist mostly for players that like Rocket Raccoon and want an expy. So, yeah.

Maybe some firefly and a pinch of Star Trek too.

Of course there will be Ulfen in space!

So its a shitty kitchen sink scifi setting just like how Pathfinder is a shitty kitchen sink fantasy setting.

Good to know.

But will they have space wolves?

That makes the Ysoki seem incredibly topical.

Why NOT?

Paizo have always been topical and tried to cultivate customers that way.

OI MILK-SOP

GET YER WOLFIN' EYES OFF ME WOLF-SISTER

I don't get why people think Golarion is bad. It's not amazing, no, but it's complex and allows for a lot of interplay. I suspect there's going to be some fairly similar overtones in Starfinder.

If the sales figures are anything to go by, it's worked.

I hate the fact they are type casted to be pyromaniac rocket raccoon wannabes. I just want my Envoy Bounty Hunter in a suit and a cowboy hat.

So...what would be the Paladin equivalent in Starfinder? I'd be a little bit disappointed if we didn't get a Holy Space Knight in blessed power armor or something.

Right, but catering the people getting into Marvel with the new Cosmic lineup aren't anything like the juggernaut of butthurt 3.5 grognards during the advent of 4e. And WotC has wised the fuck up on how it courts both its existing customers and normies, so its going to be a hard as fuck sell.

Scifi TTRPGs traditionally and statistically sell far, far worse than fantasy ones.

Depends on what archetypes are available but if you just want fighter dude who can do magic shit then there is some archetype that gives you spell casting so you could do that as a soldier. Possibly just being a soldier with a Priest theme or just being a Solarian

>So...what would be the Paladin equivalent in Starfinder?

Probably someone with the Priest archetype.

Nah chill. They aren't Rocket Racoons. They are actually Space Skaven.

>Small fluffy asshole race
>Announced when Rocket Raccoon is a thing people know exists

Soldier with the Priest Theme, most likely. you'll even be able to put the Holy Fusion (fusions = enchantments) onto shit like plasma cannons. they specifically said that the holy fusion is better than holy weapons in Pathfinder too - makes the weapon count as Good for DR, yes, but it'll also ignore the energy resistances of Evil undead, outsiders, and dragons.

Right, but they're 1.) rats and 2.) prone to backstabbing each other. Throw in clunky, unstable technology and a cultural zeitgeist to claim their manifest destiny and.. yeah no, they're Skaven.

you'd think so, and I would have thought so, but apparently Starfinder is pulling in people that like DnD 3.5 and Pathfinder but want something new after the massive slew of basically nothing but fantasy games for the D20 system.

Its all conjecture at this point. We will see where it goes.

Personally? I hope its actually successful, if only to open the floodgates for more scifi and cyberpunk TTRPGs to flourish. Fantasy has dominated the scene for far too long.

The average man knows more about Rocket Raccoon than the Skaven.

Plebs gonna pleb.

Most of those normies aren't gonna be playing TTRPGs though. The few who do, have a good chance of hearing about Skaven after Total Warhammer 2 comes out. There is also Vermintide but lets not talk about it.

Agreed. Unfortunately, if Starfinder becomes the forerunner for that, we're likely going to be stuck playing it whether it's good or not since it'll be the most popular of the bunch.

that said, there is some evidence that the current class of nerds wants Starfinder; it's a pretty small cross-section of the gaming community, but the demand for tickets to paizocon to play starfinder was a bout triple the normal ticket requests they get for the con.

That's pretty good. Hopefully they deliver a product that can at least retain people long enough for good 3pp material to make up for its failings.

Path of War in space WHEN?!

Fucking Space dorfs in space getting drunk in spaceships shaped like giant fucking space axes in SPAEHS!

What's the word on vehicles in Starfinder? Things like gunships, cars or motorbikes.

It's just going to be d20 Modern all over again.

Why is it that dwarfs in space are just so much better than their fantasy counterparts?