Classic Monster Themed Bandits

>a bandit crew like pic related that is themed after "classic" D&D monsters

What would they be like?

Little John would probably be an ogre?

Think about it a little deeper. Here, I'll start with a thought I had.

>Owlbear
A large half-orc man from a rough city. Never quite seems like he's enjoying himself. He wears a set of hide armor that he attached hundreds, maybe thousands of feathers to, and an owl mask for robberies. When things get rough, and weapons are drawn, he draws none; he wrestles and throws opponents like the beast he emulates. His favorite thing to do is grab people in a bear hug (or rather, an owlbear hug) and squeeze the breath out of them while headbutting with his beaked mask. He's not in this gang of bandits because of the money or the fame, he's in it because it's the only place he can let out his aggression.

> the DM tries to shoe-horn a thinly-veiled anachronistic reference.

How about you just be fucking honest with your players and make it almost identical except for a few name changes instead of disguising your creative impotence as experimentation with the setting.

Why the aggression? This is just a random idea I had for a goofy bandit encounter, which most likely will only show up in a one-off session, if at all. I get it if you don't like the idea, but what's the point in getting argumentative about it?

> random throw-away idea for a goofy bandit encounter.

I see. So you wish to use it as Filler.

I mean, yeah, pretty much. Half of our group is out of town camping and our next gaming session is gonna be us taking turns DMing one-offs. So, yeah, it's pretty much filler, since we can't do our regular games. I didn't realize that was wrong. I apologize.

If it's filler, we need to discuss what level of interaction your players can expect from these NPCs if it's a one off.

It is unlikely that these bandits will serve as anything more than a momentary distraction.

I was toying with the idea of the players being sent out by some rumors that a pack of monsters was out harassing traveling merchants and destroying/stealing stuff from travelling nobles in the forest between two towns. Party goes to investigate it, and it turns out that the "monsters" were actually a gang of bandits that themed themselves after notable monsters, like the owlbear, beholder, bulette, rust monster, etc, etc. Naturally there would be little hints here and there that denoted the rumors weren't completely true (nobleman who was attacked: "It was like a rust monster... but it walked like man!"), but that was the skeletal idea. Keeping in mind this literally just popped into my head around three hours ago.

Man, this dude be crazy mad

Nah, he's good. People have different opinions on stuff. His and mine just happen to be different.

Fantasy FOXHOUND.

I love this idea

Dis nigga be trippin' yo

>Solid/Liquid Slaad
>Decoy Illithid
>Archer Werewolf
>Cannon Roc
>Handbow Displacerbeast

Sounds cool.

Thanks! The best ideas are always the ones that come from nowhere, that's what I always say.

Now that I think about it, it kinda sounds like the lost boys in peter pan.

Huh... That's actually pretty good. Lol.

Rolled 8 (1d12)

1. The Chimera: twin bandits: one wearing a ragged lion skin, the other with a goat's head helm. They always have each other's back and fight wielding live snakes.

2. The Beholder: a pale, paranoid, large-headed man with a helmet of carefully positioned mirrors that let him see 360° around at all times.

3. The Owlbear: a feral child taken in by the bandits. She squawks like a bird and fights by throwing large feathers stiffened in poison, sharpened at the nip.

4. The Rust Monster: an agile rogue with a high-pitched voice who uses swordbreakers made of a mysterious, durable chitin material.

5. The Mohrg: a tall, gaunt and morbid bandit with a preternaturally long tongue he's learned to fling a concealed poison dart with.

6. The Troll: a horribly ruined hulk of a man, stubborn to the last, with all manner of bladed prosthetics and contraptions fitted onto his limbs and scars.

7. The Illithid: a muscular cannibal woman who delights in bashing open heads with her flail and scooping out a handful of still-warm brain. Surprisingly intellectual in conversation.

8. The Ooze: this smooth-talking bandit surprises her enemies with a tamed slime she feeds on junk and keeps sealed in an oilskin sack.

9. The Hydra: a treacherous archer who fights with trick arrows that burst apart into dozens of venomous flechettes.

10. The Gibbering Mouther: naked, oiled, a wrestler. He paints the mouths on his skin before a battle. Has an obsession with lipstick.

11. The Bulette: this short-tempered dwarf seems slow under the weight of all that spiked armor - until he starts running. And he clanks along noisily - until you're not looking at him anymore.

12. The Goblin: two insane goblins that stand on each other's heads and pretend they're a real human. Sometimes they get in fights over which one of them is the actual human.

What's wrong with that?