/ysg/- Yog-Sothothery General

/ysg/- Yog-Sothothery General

Urban Horror Edition

This thread is meant to inspire Lovecraftian Veeky Forums (like Delta Green and CoC) and discuss Lovecraft's works for inspiration along with anything else that fits into this genre or takes place in the Yog-Sothothery.
>Previous Thread:
>>???→

>The Texts of Lore that Men were not meant to know:
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>PDF Archive:

>Call of Cthulhu
mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

>Atchung! Cthulhu
mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Pulp Cthulhu
mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4

>AM1200
vimeo.com/102372269

>Recommend things to put in the next OP
>Please create a new thread when the Bump Limit has been reached and we are in the Lower Pages or if the old thread dies.
>If you don't, Nyarlathotep will shitpost in other threads

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/3wewotnl3ns5vn3/CoC - DG - Rulebook - Delta Green Rulebook.pdf
mediafire.com/?njg3a0ne7v130
mediafire.com/download/f3ygcpda5cfitl7/CoC - DG - Rulebook - Countdown.pdf
dropbox.com/s/6vc7fuxg5n5jyfd/Delta Green Need to Know.pdf?dl=1
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1461968691
drive.google.com/open?id=0B3puo-NNPA2bQVNTN2RlLURYX0E
fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/shotgun-scenarios
docs.google.com/document/d/1LJ_beiUVa7mpeKJGPBvH2yQCMDVWXLGawz4K39Rea8Q/edit?pref=2&pli=1
fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/tsan-chan
dropbox.com/sh/r45kth69kmtuskw/AACxsEdiwcNSl_2IAaaI64Cja?dl=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

THREAD QUESTION

In most Lovecraft stories the horror is set in rural isolated locations (Colour out of Space, Dunwich Horror, Shadows over Innsmouth, Whispers in Darkness). How can / how have you moved Lovecraftian horror to urban populated locations and maintained the same terror?

Emphasize the mass casualty incident when whatever it is gets out of hand. Show your players all the collateral damage, the chaos, the destruction.

I'm personally struggling with the idea that there are so many ways for the investigators to get help. There surrounded by people who reduce the feeling of being threatened.

How about the Delta Green books, which have been recommended every thread for the last several months

>Old DG

>Delta Green 6th edition - mediafire.com/download/3wewotnl3ns5vn3/CoC - DG - Rulebook - Delta Green Rulebook.pdf
>CoC Delta Green - mediafire.com/?njg3a0ne7v130
>Countdown - mediafire.com/download/f3ygcpda5cfitl7/CoC - DG - Rulebook - Countdown.pdf

>New DG

>Need to Know - dropbox.com/s/6vc7fuxg5n5jyfd/Delta Green Need to Know.pdf?dl=1
>Agent's Handbook - uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1461968691
>Case Officer's Handbook Preview drive.google.com/open?id=0B3puo-NNPA2bQVNTN2RlLURYX0E

>Shotgun Scenarios at Fairfield Project
>fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/shotgun-scenarios

The Horror at Red Hook and The Haunter of the Dark are set in populated areas, to name just two.

Most people are either useless or actively harmful in a disaster situation. This goes double if the disaster is something contagious. Everyone exposed to supernatural phenomena is a potential threat vector.

The stories in urban areas include strange, simple minded and swarthy seaside folk, who usually end up being servants or cultists of the eldritch gods. They might work for a mystic or strange hermit or they might work for a rich man who has strange meetings in his basement.

There is also a story about strange middle eastern or island based foreigners, who live in the foreign district and have strange meeting in a rich man's house. The rich man starts to look younger and more vital. Also children in the area are going missing.

The final option I can think of are cultists with the powers to shape shift or mind control others or straight up fish people who come from the ocean can also shape-shift and hide in large trench coats and hats. Most of the urban areas are near a lake, ocean or river.

Or crazy hermits who hold up in a hotel or boarding house who and have a terrifying secret.

how do rpg cthulu mythos?

right now my players are against the de Monte clan, ghouls who are actively use shapeshifting magic and actually blend into society. Also they can obviously steal the memories of dead persons, so it's pretty much a problem of anyone can be the enemy.
Though they hired some private investigators to investigate some of the persons they think to be ghouls although they didn't realized yet that one of the investigators got eaten by a ghoul through this investigation and already feeding them false information and try to get them into a trap

So when does humanity die?

Im not sure if lovecraft gave an exact date but it wouldn't be too presumtuous to set the end of humanity somewhere in the 21st century

whenever you as a GM wants it to end, but preferably during the second or third session if we are talking about the humanity inside your player's characters. around fifth to sixth the humainty of your players should die

I was talking about humanity in general.

Afaik Uncle Nya was going to end humanity at some point and i wanted to incorperate that into a campaign

well, whenever you want it, you are the GM

Hate to be a Retard

I can't find the 7th Edition Keepers handbook and the download link for CoC stuff didn't seem to have the PDF for the Keepers Handbook. Does anyone know where I can download it for free?

Ya boi from the great race will have my back regardless the scenario.
Finally get to post muh art :)

Do you play this?

docs.google.com/document/d/1LJ_beiUVa7mpeKJGPBvH2yQCMDVWXLGawz4K39Rea8Q/edit?pref=2&pli=1

How about the mythos in the sci-fi future? (Not CthulhuTech)
File and link related

Secret society of the cities aristocrats.Classic conspiracy.

Da archive has it probably

Page 9 bump

It's a shame these threads always die so quickly. Would anyone be interested in reading a WIP Vietnam "snake eater" type scenario?

Sure why not

I'm currently starting a campaign set in Hollywood and this is more or less the overall plot, maybe with some bizarre criminal elements thrown in for good measure.

Read the 'Horror at Red Hook'

Don't forget the future empire of Tsan-Chan
fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/tsan-chan

Well, that looks like a fun adventure.

A friend of mine bought the Call of Cthulu PHB (or equivalent) and we made characters but haven't played the game yet (probably this weekend).

How is it?

I made a "photojournalist", it's the 1920's setting.
My guy works at a newspaper, he's basically a paparazzi and he stalks celebrities, actresses, singers, pin up models, industrialists and heirs/heiresses.
He's also a faggot but I'm appropriately going to keep that hidden due to the time period.

I hope I don't get tentacle raped.

>I hope I don't get tentacle raped.

That's a lie
that's a lie
that's a lie lie lie

i love CoC. if your GM is good, its some of the most fun you can have at the table. as for tentacle rape, just don't confront monsters head on. use your head you will be okay.

Our DM is a new DM

We've played D&D for a few years but he's never been a DM before

well i should have said, id he reads the keepers tome, and is imaginative you will have fun. it also helps if he brushes up om some of lovecrafts work itself. (not just fan discussion of it)

It's not
I hope it doesn't happen
But if it does I'm just gonna roll with it

I want more of this. I would 100% run it.

help from who though?

Nyarny's the last one wanting to end humanity
he just wants to change/deform humanity

fuck no

Well that would probably literally be the end of humanity

Hybrid deep ones aren't really human u know

nyarly isn't really in the deep one business though

Speaking of Delta Green, I've been wanting to get into it for a while but can't find a group. I've been trying to brush up on my DG lore in the meanwhile, but I'd like a brief summary on this.

What exactly is MJ-12 and why does Delta Green oppose them?

MJ-12 was founded after the Roswell saucer crash to investigate the presence of alien life on earth. They fell hook, line, and sinker for the Grey lie.

Delta Green generally opposes them for several reasons:
1) They have zero qualms about kidnapping (or allowing the Greys to kidnap) and experimenting on American citizens
2) They are trying to use and develop unnatural technology
3) They generally do some fucked up stuff (like OUTLOOK Group.)

Not all MJ-12 sub-organizations are this bad, but the Steering Committee is largely a bunch of power-hungry amoral bastards, and they're the ones who control the whole thing.

There are some good MJ-12 operatives, like General Bell (director of MJ-5 MOON DUST) and Colonel Coffey (commander of BLUE FLY.)

That is a great fucking drawing dude.

Important to note, in the new edition fiction, mj12 was all but folded into/taken over by delta green. So in the new edition you have a government backed, beauracratic but we'll funded Delta Green, and the secret conspiracy delta green theoretically running side by side. And a lot of the bad old mj12 dudes may or may not be running the show at the government dg.

Anyone got favorite art of the King in Yellow? I've pretty much saved everything I could find off of google

Yeah, if you want the new lore on the coup, it's in Through a Glass, Darkly. I'm sure the new rulebook will expand on it whenever it comes out (should be in the next month or so.)

Does anyone have a PDF of that book?
That is some incredibly awesome King in Yellow art!

dropbox.com/sh/r45kth69kmtuskw/AACxsEdiwcNSl_2IAaaI64Cja?dl=0

Many thanks, friend.

I love using horror in a urban setting. It's a false sense of security and I like to pick away at it piece by piece to create tension. Isolation, in the wilderness or remote places, simply means they're cut off from society, it's resources, and the help of other people. How would you do that in an urban setting? Socially.

Ex. No one believes a word they say because everyone believes the PC's are crazy and spouting gibberish or are even dangerous (best used after if they've already lost SAN). Authorities are uncooperative, belligerent, suspect the PCs, or even outright hostile. Pedestrians don't want to get involved, avoid eye contact, are defensive. Make it seem like the world is out to get them, just like you would in a physically remote setting. Stop looking at urban surroundings as a safety net and look for opportunities to turn those things into a liability.

The trick is to do it without railroading. A Cthulhu game I ran years ago had a finale set in the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. A cult was summoning a BBEG there with the intent of making an offering out of the Greater Boston Area. Knowing they couldn't convince the police a dangerous cult was practicing sorcery there the PCs called in a bomb threat. Now, the easy thing would've been to say "your cellphone doesn't work" or some shit (happens all the time in horror movies right?) but that wouldn't have gone over very well. Instead I had the cops show up, storm up the stairs, guns raised, and run right up to the cultist leading the ceremony. From the PCs' position across the street they could see words being exchanged. Then the cultist and lead officer shook hands, followed by the rest of the police taking defensive positions around the museum to guard the ceremony. The cops were in on it you see. In trying to use society's advantages to aid them, they only made their situation worse. That's isolation.

>What exactly is MJ-12
A hoax based on a fraudulent set of documents, wildly popular with UFO buffs yet rightly disregarded as a conspiracy theory by normal people.

>why does Delta Green oppose them?
Delta Green is a terrorist group formed to fight imaginary monsters. It's only natural that they'd oppose something which doesn't exist.

>Elder gods

I sure hope you guys don't do this

>Younger gods

Cancer, plain and simple

Gtfo MJ-12 disinfo shill

Alright, so I've been writing up a CoC 7th edition adventure for my group (we're going to run some modules to get the hang of it first) and I've come to the conclusion that the end result of this adventure could result in a massive shoot out in an American high school with tons dead, as the plot revolves around an evil cultist killing a specific student at a specific night with the aid of the rest of his cult, a serial killer he gave body disposing powers to, and a teenage girl who agreed to serve him in exchange for vampirism.

An effective use of modern themes to generate horror, or an edgelord mess that probably needs a rewrite? I really didn't realize how bad it all sounded until I went to review my first draft.

It's more like Nyarlathotep wants to turn humanity into the servants and willing sacrifices to Mythos creatures and Gods, in general

If there were no more humans to corrupt he'd probably feel pretty empty

>How about the Delta Green books, which have been recommended every thread for the last several months
Seriously, OP.

When's the shootout supposed to happen if the cultist needs to kill the student at night? Or are the serial killer/vamp girl going to just go nuts at the school looking for the one person

I hope you know the people in the group well enough before considering running this theme.

So it's written such that the players can't prevent any deaths? And how will the police get involved, as one would expect in modern day? Btw serial killers aren't commonly mass shooters, those are two different things

Well, to explain in full, the cult leader is a wizard from the Pathfinder setting we'd been playing in for awhile so I wrote this adventure as a transition. He wants to break down a dwarven hero's axe to pilfer the life crystals from inside so he can heal deep, deforming burns he suffered in a magic experiment. The axe is an artifact though, so it can only break if a goblin uses it to decapitate a dwarven king. Well in his world dwarves have been a clan based democracy for a thousand years, so no kings exist.

So he crossed dimensions into this world, and is conspiring to get a student at the school born with medical dwarfism elected prom king, then send a bunch of his minions to attack to the school to see a goblin behead him. So it'll be a packed prom night being attacked by a vampire, zombies, a serial killer, gun wielding cultists and a few assorted monsters he's conjured up. In addition, PCs don't have to be high school students (the other two plot threads are following the serial killer or the cow mutilating the cult does to perform summonings) so they might be armed as well.

Just a whole adventure that has really good odds of escalating to a bunch of high school students being shot to death.

Did anyone here back the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion Kickstarter? I'm hoping to get the final version PDF but it's not available for sale

This sounds campy as fuck (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), but not very Lovecraftian at all.

>Case Officer's Handbook manuscript is now available to KS backers
It's coming, boys. Anybody else reading it?

That sounds absolutely nothing like a mythos game, and it sounds like Call of Cthulhu is not the right game to pull this off. You might want to try and just run a different game entirely if your goal is to make your Pathfinder game transition into a modern setting.

This is a prime example of how 3.PF fags have ruined the hobby.

Yep.

>mfw zombies can shrug off cruise missiles with impunity

School shootings are always going to sound edgy but the entire scenario isn't as bad as you've made it out to be. Give your PCs an option to tamper with or jam the cultist's guns or something.

I just started reading it, what the fuck is this about?

Agree.

Zombies cause lethality rolls to automatically fail (meaning you do just 2d10 damage.) However, they also halve damage from any source (rounding up), and have 15 HP. So if you fire an atomic weapon at a zombie, the 90% lethality fails, and it takes between 10 and 1 damage. It will survive with between 14 and 5 HP.

That sounds like a really fucking stupid mechanic that will need some heavy houseruling. I guess our boys down in Delta Green HQ can't do math for shit.

How would I go about making a new monster for my CoC campaign?

God damn, it's a good thing they're looking for feedback.

>Take a sea creature
>Screw around with it
>Give it a superpower
>???
>Profit

Yeah. I'll just drop the "lethality rolls auto-fail" part, the halving regular damage seems fine. That way, things like grenades and small arms will struggle to put one down, but a bomb or Hellfire will destroy them with ease.

What sort of themes are you going for? Where does it come from? Who does it serve (if it is lucid enough to understand such a concept?)

You are literally the worst.

I love it lol
Probably should look for another system though. Nothing about this is CoC, so you get no benefit from the system. It's NOT a combat system. Also there's no point in the cultists having guns (CoC cultists rarely use conventional weapons). They need to behead one kid, a shooting spree makes no sense and actually endangers their mission, no? And what does this cult worship? What are they summoning and what does that have to do with your main thread?

Finally, having multiple threats with different agendas/allegiances engaging the investigators at the same time is sloppy. I think wizard + lackeys all trying to accomplish your main task is all you need.

My campaign is about the investigators trying to find a missing girl and at some point they find out that she is already dead.
It takes place in New York and is set in the modern day.
I was thinking of having a serial killer obsessed with a specific god but I am not sure about that yet.

I was also thinking of having him be posessed by something but I can't really think of something that would be lovecraftian that would possess him

>My campaign is about the investigators trying to find a missing girl and at some point they find out that she is already dead.
>It takes place in New York and is set in the modern day.
So you're running Night Floors?

Alright, so the creature kills humans (or has killed at least one human.) Does it do so for sport, does it live off of blood, is it just an opportunistic predator, or was it a total accident and it never even noticed her?

Is it something the investigators can kill? What about just drive off temporarily with a hasty ritual or some big fucking explosions? Can they even damage it at all without using dangerous magic?

Go the Silent Hill route and have the players think it's a serial killer but it's really an underground cult trying to rebirth their god.

The girl who they thought was dead is the new avatar of the god

If you're up for it, a great "possess" opponent is the Great Race of Yith. Perhaps the Great Race used this killer to repair the timeline in some way. Opens the window for some great insane rants from the guy about the endless library and the floating custodians...where you ask? Not where, but when...

>Alright, so the creature kills humans (or has killed at least one human.) Does it do so for sport, does it live off of blood, is it just an opportunistic predator, or was it a total accident and it never even noticed her?
Noooooo...do not come up with concrete answers to these questions. Explaining the unknown is not Lovecraft. In fact it's better if the creature's actions and apparent motivations are contradictory or inconsistent.

Yeah basically, might change it from New York to a small town because I have been watching a shit ton of twin peaks as of late.
It does so for sport, It has a strong obsession with it's victims.
Investigators can kill it with some work.

Not to tell his players, for himself, so he at least has some idea of why/what/how/etc. Obviously you're not handing them the monster sheet when they encounter it.

In modern NYC your monster has to either be a mimic or otherwise undetectable otherwise it would get noticed
I'm thinking that most Lovecraftian monsters wouldn't necessarily leave a body. Like I was thinking a ghoul would work, but then how would the investigators find out she's dead?

To be honest, I realized that pretty early into writing it. I played Call back in high school but the rest of the group hasn't, though they're deep enough into the gaming community that they get what the game is like. I deliberately wrote the game as a transitional game before getting really Lovecraftian, kinda a pulpy science-horror adventure but might have gone too far.
I mean, as it's written, that's the worst case scenario. They have plenty of opportunities to shut it all down before it gets that far.
Yeah, probably.
Do you have a recommendation for a better system?

And the various threats are all serving the wizard. The cult has been granted magic knowledge from another dimension by him, the girl has been promised eternal youth and beauty (vamparism) and the serial killer has been given the magic ability to completely vanish his victim's bodies, making it easier to get away with.

Strongly Disagree. The monster should do whatever is necessary for an interesting/fun/scary scenario, even if that is inconsistent with its previous behaviour. Consistent motivations, even on the GM side, are a bad idea for a Lovecraftian horror game.

Why not just dump them into a more typical CoC scenario instead of setting a weird president by combining two games with completely different, and many would argue, conflicting playstyles?

>>Case Officer's Handbook Preview drive.google.com/open?id=0B3puo-NNPA2bQVNTN2RlLURYX0E

>The Time War: To some, it appears that the Great Race are in unceasing combat
with the immaterial forces of the Lloigor. While the Great Race pines for a future of
nuclear destruction where humanity has perished, the Lloigor seem aimed to
facilitate a future where humanity has survived to degenerate into horror, revelling in
killing and joy like the Great Old Ones. These two outcomes appear—from the
human perspective—to be diametrically opposed. But who knows?

HELL YEAH NERDS

WE TEMPORAL COLD WAR NOW

>the metaplot is a war between intangible blobs of energy that live underground and disembodied minds that live in the past, neither of which the players can interact with in any way

A+ 10/10 game design

So far the handler's book is a mixed bag of great story hooks and retarded nonsense. I just now got through the bestiary, which hasn't really changed much since the last preview.

Ty. Always try to make the immersion for DnD sessions up there. I work along side the dm to figure what types of monsters or other kinds we would eventually meet!
Custom tokens is my 2nd facorite thing to do

So I just made characters with my group, we are doing our first session of CoC next week.

>4 young secular bachelors with careers and interest that parelel their players.

How do I inspire my group to be more creative?