Do you like initiative as a random roll? Are there any systems that base it off a stat without the roll of a die?

Do you like initiative as a random roll? Are there any systems that base it off a stat without the roll of a die?

fixed initiative
much faster, but it makes combat a lot more predictable

Yes, I prefer it as a random roll, in order to prevent combat from becoming predictable as said.

I like the random initiative. Makes combat less solvable/predictable.

Fixed initiative is a common alternate rule in just about any game.

Every game I design has an always-go-first trait you can buy into, and an always-go-last neg you can take. I find that random initiative works well with low-variability systems, such as those which run off of anything between d6 and 2d6.

In the system I've been playing it's a flat stat, but it can be boosted at the beginning of a round, receiving an equal penalty on your actions

then he accidentally grab her boob

I tend to prefer extremes- Either make initiative super simple to get it out of the way quickly, or go all in on making initiative rolls an important and meaningful part of the combat round beyond just determining turn order.

Base stat + die

Unless you're completely outclassed, you'll at least have a punchers chance

Fixed but with characters being able to take an action to roll. So at the base level it's simple but important NPCs and players still have the tactical option to improve (or worsen) their situation.

I use flat stat + semi-random value to determine their starting point on the wheel, then, which actions they pick determine when the action actually happens. Also, the lowest players place/declare their actions first, then so on in order. Then everyone places their reactions, starting with the slowest again. Then we run down from the top.

Might seem convoluted, but it helps wen you have either a script or program tracking everything, or use an action wheel in person.

It also helps that combat is hyper lethal in our system, with most fights being over in one to three rounds.

I used to play a game where the character with the superior reflexes could act first. To make things a little bit more random you can add some modifiers due to surprise, encumbrance, weapon (faster to stab with a knife, than swinging a crowbar), wounds or action (it's faster to shoot someone if you're in ready position, than if you have to draw first).

I'm really beginning to like Basic D&D/old school/whatever initiative.

All sides roll, one side has the initiative, then actions are performed in a specific order (morale checks, missile fire, melee attacks, etc.). So everyone is moving at once rather than staying still and waiting their turn.

Ties are really tense because both sides can kill each other with missile fire or by trading blows at the same time.

It feels counterintuitive at first, but it makes a lot of sense. It's fast and simple and deadly.

There are a few.
I prefer stat based initiative, it means I can just look at a pre-made chart instead of making a new one every combat.

Deck of cards. Every player picks a number, and players with initiative mods get more suits of that number (initiative 0 gets the 3 of hearts, initiative +2 gets the 4 or hearts, spades, and clubs) then you shuffle them in with cards for the enemy creatures, and draw. Whenever a card that's already come up comes up again, it's discarded.

I prefer rolled because it makes battle a little less predictable. Dresden Files fate has stat based by default with speed powers moving you to the top and suggests possibly either going clockwise from the fastest or each player saying who goes next without a repeat. In the game I'm running in the system I'm making it a roll with speed powers giving a bonus.

card based systems inevitably end up being exceedingly poor for resolution....Its just too ham-fisted to use a deck rather than dice, especially because you either have to shuffle after each draw or induce actual factual gambler's fallacy and card counting into your friendly tabletop RPG.

Dragonquest has wholly deterministic initiative (Modified Agility+Perception+Rank with whatever weapon you have out, if any.), but only people in melee or close combat. If you're not struggling, it's somewhat random.

Not necessarily true. Through the Breach doesn't require you to reshuffle until all cards in a deck have been drawn, and it resolves very quickly without being too "ham fisted" or whatever. Card counting is never an issue beyond the standard munchkinry. If anything, being able to go through all cards in a deck is good because it makes the game much less swingy.

That's like the Deadlands System. Roll Quickness grab 1 card plus 1 additional per raise. The main drawback is that it makes combat slow down, the good thing is that you can do multiple actions per turn.

>>then he accidentally grab her boob
>It takes him a minute to realize what he grabbed
>Slowly a look of terror dawns on his face
>She's just grinning down maliciously at him all the while

and then they fucked?

Goddamn it I fucking hate people too retarded to know any systems outside their fucking 1-3 trick comfort zone.

No, there was him stammering an apology and her tossing him over her shoulder and carrying him back to her tent first
But then snu snu

Calm down man, nobody wants to hurt you here.

>Are there any systems that base it off a stat without the roll of a die?

Sword path glory
each turns is 1/12 of second
The amount turns players take to do an action, is based at stats (most of the time, size [height], str, dex and speed)

there is also phoenix command and rhand morninstar mission
each turn is X seconds.
some stats dictate the amount of action points they can use in a turn.
and each action cost X action points

Best mechanics are cards as initiative, static initiative, and action points as initiative.