>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
How do we fix artificer?

Other urls found in this thread:

astranauta.github.io/classes.html#Cleric,Arcana
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

by not posting shitty pokemon pics

Where's the list of possible character options gone?

We've just started playing D&D 5e and I made the character conversion for my players. From the 5etools-Link i saw, that there is a revised version of the ranger. Is this version the new "official" one I've created the characters using the PHB. I assume the revision was for balancing reasons?

Coincidence?

In the past few threads, I've seen people discuss whether warlocks should use int or cha for casting. It is well-known that in the 5e playtests warlocks used intelligence, but complaints from filthy 3aboos pushed the designers to make it charisma instead. However, I submit that neither is an appropriate casting stat.

Intelligence is the casting stat used by wizards, as well as eldritch knights and arcane tricksters. In each of these cases, the character's spellcasting ability is gained through careful study and understanding of magical processes. While some warlocks do delve into tomes to find their patron, this itself does not give them their arcane abilities, and there are plenty of warlocks who meet their patron some other way.

Charisma, on the other hand, is used by paladins, sorcerers, and bards. For each of these classes, magic is an expression of the self, whether that be a sorcerer's heritage, a paladin's willpower, or a bard's emotional expression. Supporters of the chalock argue that charisma is necessary for a warlock to bargain with his patron, but, again, this is not the source of the warlock's power, only the method of first catching the patron's attention. And, again, not all warlocks find their patrons the same way; it is explicitly stated in the player's handbook that some warlocks don't even realize what is happening when they make their pact.

Indeed, it has become clear that a warlock's power comes not from arcane study or the power of the self, but from a deal made with a powerful being. What other class gets its power from such an entity? The cleric, of course. Similarly, both druids and rangers get their power from nature, which, while not exactly an entity, is certainly a powerful outside source. And what casting stat do clerics, druids, and rangers use? Wisdom.

Thus, it is quite obvious that wisdom should be the casting stat for warlocks. Pic unrelated.

It isn't """official""" but it's basically an update meant to fix the ranger's problems, yes. I see no reason not to use it.

What this

Mm yes Misty, punish me

When Tomb of Annihilation comes out?

September

Anyone know if Oath of Redemption is any good?

A Warlock is basically whoring himself out to his patron. To be successful, he's gotta look cute. Therefore, CHA makes the most sense.

seems reasonable, good post

It's nice rather than good.

Let's say a character became an NPC. What's a good way to convert player level to CR?

I am going to play Evocation Wizard and you can't stop me. Point-blank Fireball is going to be so much fun.

Compare AC and HP to the chart in the DMG.

Average the 3 highest damage rounds the character could pull off consecutively, assuming 2 targets hit by multitarget abilities when applicable. Compare to hit bonus and save DCs to the chart in the DMG.

Get an average of offensive and defensive CR for final CR.

CHA has nothing to do with appearance though?

Charisma is force of will, you can be hideous and still be charismatic.

Just like you can be pretty, and weak-willed.

Recreate then from ground up using Monster creation rule.

5e NPC and PC rule are separate for a reason.

So has anyone here ran or played through TftYP Dead in Thay adventure? I'm about to start running it and I'm curious for suggestions to make it both more interesting and more challenging, as well as how long it took your group to get through it. Knowing my party, they will probably try to explore every single room before moving to the final parts of the dungeon. They did this with the hidden shrine of Tamoachan and it took us two months to get through it. All suggestions and tips are welcome.

"Can I do (x) with my magic?"
>"is (x) a spell in the books?"
"No."
>"then no."

Fuck being a player again.

Make artificers half-casters or spell-less. A third-caster that isn't an archetype feels weird.

> Not choosing a flexible spell
Shape Water is so much fun

I'd be inclined to allow this if you could justify one of your spells as being tangentially related to what you're actually trying to do.

Doesn't have to be an exact match, but if you don't know *anything* about burning shit, and you wanna burn shit, that's too bad.

Make Mechanized Servant its own archetype. Make it a half, or possibly even full caster. Maybe even make Alchemist a different class entirely, and focus on this whole idea of magical engineering for the artificer.

Take the robot out and make it into another archetype too.

>Wow I can use a devastating spell but take away the fun and flavourful backblast and just basically be a volley ranger that does fire damage I guess but has limited shots but they're more reliable

that's what sorcerers are for, in theory

I'm making a Warforged Fighter.

Should I use a Transformer or a Bionicle name?

Youre more likely to get away with a bionicle name
But a transformer name might get more laffs

>I roll to seduce the archfey
makes sense
>I roll to seduce the fiend
plausible
>I roll to seduce the great old one
what the fuck?
>I roll to seduce the undying
nigguh wut yuh even tryin tuh do

www.fantasynamegenerators.com/transformers-names.php#

Does this general have a discord server?

>>I roll to seduce the great old one
>what the fuck?

This is how i Bard.

Meanwhile:
>"Can I do (x) with my magic?"
>"Is (x) a spell in the books?"
>"Yes."
>"No."

Your DM is uninspired, but it could be a lot worse.

>Barbarian
Yes this is clearly the best name for a Fighter
I don't plan on doing anything super blatant like the few that everyone knows, or the silly over-the-top combiner names like Menasor, Devastator, Superion, or Predaking.
Fuck though, was there every any average height translation between Matorans and humans?
They might actually be just the right size

Running a horror one-shot based on repeatedly going down the same hallway.
Any horror ideas?

Going down the same hallway.

Would you allow a Beastmaster to have a giant spider as their companion? Also, would you allow them to ride it as a mount?
I really want to make a mounted heavy crossbow Beastmaster.

Going down the same hallway.

nice SCP ripoff

If it fulfills most of the other suggested features I would have no problem with it. It's always struck me as odd that the suggested beast companion options do not include horses, which otherwise meet all conditions.

where in the hallway do i start?

>Going down the same hallway.

>repeatedly going down the same hallway.
Clearly you start up

I feel like Artificer will never really be fantastic. Yeah, you get a cool gun, but you never get an extra attack, it requires a bonus action reload, the magic items are lackluster, the servant eventually becomes too weak to use for anything major in combat, and the alchemical solutions are generic and boring, and really just lackluster versions of magic. Also the spells are interesting but I think it wouldn't hurt to be without them.
I bet if they dropped the entire magical aspect, they could've made a far better class. It just seems all over the place, and like it isn't really great at anything.

*all conditions except size.

No you start down, you just continue going down.

then i go in the opposite direction of the intended path. what do i find?

Despair at Konami firing Kojima.

You eventually run into your party going the opposite direction.

A figure in the distance that seems to mimic your movements.

>yfw there's no hole in wall maria

Thanks, guys.
I'll put a roper in there.

i ask questions only my real party would know.
i move erratically, and note if it is unable to move consistently with me.

It moves just as erratic as you without falter.

me and my friends are going to start playing D&D 5e, i've played other roleplaying games before but never d&d from what I can tell adventurers league is just an organized system of play. is this correct? if im not looking to write my own story should i just use the season 5 level 1-2 adventure in the mega link or is this not a good place to start?

I don't know what Adventurer's League is but from what I've heard it sounds limited and really anti-fun. Just run a module like Lost Mines or something, and allow people to make what they want within reason.

i approatch cautiously, turning my head ever so often to make sure im not snuck up on. do i see a mirror or similar reflective surface?

It's official organize play. No UA allow and you can only 1 other source book other than PHB.

The gap between you and the figure remains the same as its steps matches yours. I think I'm going to have to actually make use of this idea and come up with a simple solution for my campaign, like some twisted funhouse with magic or technology that fucks with people before ending them. In this case it was a doppleganger waiting for you tire out but I can probably do better than that.

neato, i think your players will have fun.

How do I properly build a Hexblade warlock built around the Cursebringer invocation?
I don't want to get slaughtered in the first round.

My campaign is going to take place in a world where one continent, about ten years prior, disappeared entirely. The campaign is set just after the continent reappearing suddenly, and it's essentially a reclamation/resettlement mission.

The issue I'm having is this: Hundreds of years passed for the continent while it was disappeared. Player characters could have had family on the continent when it disappeared. I'm worried I might not be able to connect the campaign itself to their backstories well enough to make it compelling.

So for some characters, all their relatives would be basically guaranteed dead, and for others, all their backstory stuff would be left on another continent.

Ideas?

Have them meet their great-great-great grand niece.

If the players had family there they can start there then and have gone elsewhere for help or something.
Like 'oh shit the mainland is back better go ask them for help'

You take your first level in Fighter for extra HP, Heavy Armor proficiency, CON proficiency, and Fighting Style.

When the continent reappears, letters and other things that were intended to be 'sent out' got delayed by whatever magic.
Party members receive 100-year-old letters from their loved ones.

Earlier I mentioned working on a Glasstaff chase sequence for Lost Mine of Phandelver.

Someone asked how my progress was going. The answer is "I have no idea what I'm doing."

Well, it's something at least.

If you've run chase sequences before, I'd kill for some substantial advice or reference material.
I guess I could just give it up and go back to the original plan (DMG p. 252 chase sequences on a grid map), but it sounds so boring I might as well reduce the 'Iarno escape' sequence to a couple sentences if the player don't get the surprise on him.

I wish, but I've no idea on how to do it well either. I was thinking of having my target escape, the players follow, then get to the chase map. Checks and shortcuts with even higher checks along with some minor enemies was my idea but I'll actually map it out when I get closer to that point.

QUESTION
I am about to be starting a campaign of Curse of Strahd and I am using a premade Cleric character found online. It states that the character is of the Arcana Domain which provides: You gain two wizard cantrips, which count as cleric cantrips for you. At 1st level, you also gain access to he 1st level spells of Detect Magic and Magic Missile, which are always prepared and treated as cleric spells for you too.

I have looked through two 5E PDFs and found no mention of the Arcana Domain being an options, but when I Google search Arcana Domain, I do find multiple entries online describing exactly what is on the character sheet and it supposedly being a part of 5E. Where is this information coming from? What is the official source?

SCAG

How is tranquility monk?

He's doing fine, thanks for asking.

Tranquil.

I am new to this. What is the difference and why is there?
Are these different publishers with slightly different versions of the game?

astranauta.github.io/classes.html#Cleric,Arcana

No you dolt, it's an official supplement.

kys.

It's a supplement, got some lore about the Sword Coast region and some new options to use on top of the PHB. It doesn't replace anything.
Other stuff like it are Volo's Guide to Monsters and Elemental Evil Player's Companion.

Think of it like DLC mixed with Lore

Hey man don't be a cunt, he said he was new.

So I'm going to have my first session as a DM tomorrow

I've been a player for 3 years now, so I know the rules and all that, but aside from that...

Any tips?

Thanks for the information. Kinda odd; makes the PHB feel incomplete. I'll make sure my DM is okay with me using the SCAG.

Alway rember, its about having fun.

Are you THIS new to TTRPGs?

Books with new mechanics coming out years after the core is the NORM.

Is multiclassing fighter and warlock a better version of Eldritch knight? Some of the UA pact of the blade invocations seem really good.

I mean, most other games also have supplements.

The PHB is complete, you don't need anything else to play. It gives you all the rules of the game, and plenty of character options.

Supplements are just that, there to supplement the core content.

Kind of.

Especially because you can take one level of fighter, five of warlock, and then the rest in sorcerer, and be able to take haste at level 7.

>fun

F is for fire that burns down the whole town!
U is for uranium, bombs!
N is for no survivors!

When you're about to say "no" to something, consider if you can say "yes, but..." instead.

It's different. EK is for Shield+Absord Elements meme.

PLANKTON! THAT'S NOT WHAT FUN IS ABOUT!

What would be some creepy minions for a mountain/cave witch to have?

aggressive and carnivorous gingerbread mean, each about 3-4 feet in height. upon closer inspection, gingerbread men appear to be wearing tattered children's clothes.

>>I roll to seduce the great old one
>Implying you have a choice once the tentacles come out.
>>I roll to seduce the undying
>Get the lich-loved feat

More seriously, warlock patrons should imbue/teach the kind of magic that the patron uses. Spellcasting stat determined by patron, since patron is a level 1 choice.

I wouldn't call it a minion, but I would imagine she'd cultivate some ropers. Bonus points if the roper is on the opposite side of a chasm from the players

Your players are craftier than you. Maybe not individually, but as a group. Note as well that I'm saying "craftier", not "smarter". The point is that the dumb shits won't be able to pick up on a plot hook unless you slap them in the face with it three times - but they will nevertheless always be able to think up a solution to any problem they come across, even one you didn't think up. Especially one you didn't think up.

Additionally, remember that Challenge Rating is the level at which it is expected that the players will be able to DEFEAT a challenge...not encounter it. There is nothing wrong with having the players encounter monsters or NPCs that are well above their ability, as long as you do not actually expect them to fight it to overcome it. For example, the players might, while exploring the caves just discovered beneath an inn whilst level 4, encounter a sleeping elder red wyrm. If they close the door and walk away, the wyrm doesn't notice them. If they wake it up, the wyrm might have better things to do than eat them, and might actually be a source of quests, lore, or even simple panicked comedy: "This isn't real! We're just a dream! Go back to sleep!"

If the player characters charge at the dragon and try and fight it...kill 'em. It's their own dumbass fault.

Never stick tightly to prescribed alignments for monsters except in the case of Outer Planar beings like demons and angels. Otherwise you should totally have the players encounter good orcs with the same frequency they might encounter evil elves or dwarves. This fleshes out the world more. Also try and remember that not everything boils down to "good" and "evil". Neutrality is a thing.

Actual minions

From the film.

They aren't undead or constructs or anything like that, but captured children who have been dominated into fighting for her. Just kidding. It was a ruse by the witch -- after the players "free" the kids, they get ganked when they least suspect it