What does Veeky Forums think of Harmonquest?

What does Veeky Forums think of Harmonquest?

Are there other shows like this out there?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QsO2cOM5TeY
youtube.com/watch?v=EwCFGt7lP3g
youtube.com/watch?v=oEmM_zKuTD0
youtube.com/watch?v=2QxyarOQ6lE
youtube.com/watch?v=k-J3nJerAyQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you mean shows about people playing DnD games, yeah you can find a few online. If you mean ones that are animated, I think this is the only one.

The animations were the most fun part.

I believe the general consensus is it all depends on whether you like Dan Harmond or not, and whether you treat the series as an entertainment piece or a "true" session of an RPG. If you treat it as the former, a lot of Dan's actions are meant to make the game more interesting to an audience. If the latter, then yeah, Dan is kind of an ass.

>watching other people play RPGs live or in real time
I understand LPs, but this is a deeper level of autism than I can fathom.

It's obviously made-for-tv entertainment, so it was fine with me.

But I had never heard of Dan Harmon before this show. Did he do other RPG related stuff?

He's the guy we can thank for Rick and Morty as well as Community. Personally I find him quite entertaining, though the fact that the, and I quote, "Namefagging Shitposter likes Reddit-tier comedies" is hardly surprising. I do believe that Dan does have a good understanding of how to do good comedy though.

>He's the guy we can thank for Rick and Morty

>I understand LP
To someone who doesn't waste time watching videos of other people playing games, I can assure you that I consider you just as much of an autistic loser as the people that watch the shit OP is talking about.

There are quite a few animés that feature people in DnD-type scenarios. I haven't managed to find one that isn't creepily over-sexual though.

youtube.com/watch?v=QsO2cOM5TeY
Props to Grimgar for being a great example of low-level characters being outmatched.

Why would anyone treat it as anything other than an entertainment piece?

Ah, look, there it is. He didn't even read all the way through my post!

For the same reason anyone treats Critical Role as a bad example of how to do RPG. You're right... but that's not the point.

How can we get Korgoth of Barbaria renewed?

>I haven't managed to find one that isn't creepily over-sexual though.
Record of Lodoss War

Seriously? At least with watching an RPG you know it will be unique. Watching LP's is worse because it's just the actual game you could be playing yourself, with someone talking over it.

>renewed
The phrase you're looking for is "picked up".

It had its moments. But some of the guests felt like they were there for a quick paycheck and not much else and dragged their episodes down. Some of them got really into it though and those were the best episodes.

You're right... but that's not the point. Most people I know who enjoy LP's don't even watch them. They listen to them to hear the conversations and reactions, with the game providing subject matter to discuss. They're actually in it for the commentary, not the game. South Park, of course, had a pretty good episode that provides more insight than I can.

>South Park, of course, had a pretty good episode that provides more insight than I can.
Oh yeah? Which one?

Shows about LARPing are almost always better than shows about board games

Agreed. The show would have been better with the first guest the whole way through.

Not animated but critical role is good. They have over 100 episodes now, and they are all voice acters so they get into it pretty well. YouTube at 1.25 speed though. I think they are starting to make just podcasts of their old stuff too

There was that dude with the gap in his teeth as well. He was awesome. I think they did a whole bit about him becoming a recurring character though.

#REHASH

Thanks!

I always feel confused about this phenomenon. How do people even end up being aware of reddit opinions? I pretty much discounted the entire site as garbage years ago because of various aspects of how the site works. Subsequently I have no fucking idea what people on reddit think about anything because I don't ever go there.

Yet I commonly see people insinuating that other are from reddit based on their tastes or opinions.

If they are themselves innocent of the crime of being a reddit user then how do they know these things? It is my belief that those who do this betray their own guilt in an attempt to deflect attention on to others. Surely if they were not guilty of this, and simply wished to express that the other had bad taste they would simply call them a faggot and state that the creator of the bad thing is a jew, as is tradition.

Watching comedians play D&D can be funny, who knew

>I haven't managed to find one that isn't creepily over-sexual though.
Hello Tumblr.
Attractive women are so offensive, why japs are not following the example of the enlightened westerners like those behind Mass Effect Andromeda and Horizon Zero Dawn who purposefully make the female characters less attractive than the models they are based on so modern women don't feel insecure?

Reddit is mostly just Veeky Forums with a 1-year delay.

They're people who would be caught instantly during a witch hunt for knowing far too much about witches.

yeah i don't get the hate towards reddit. like it's not that bad

Why would you do harm to those helping you to hunt witches with their knowledge about witches?

It's okay. Harmond/Fondue was the worst part of it, especially his explicitly forced character arc of becoming less of a coward and getting over his daddy issues. Davis/Boneweevil was very entertaining and McGathy/Beor was pretty good as well. The guest stars varied wildly in quality. Also we must be living in some kind of mirror universe because Chelsea Peretti was surprisingly good while Aubrey Plaza sucked big-time. Also whoever decided to up-stage Nathan Fillion by shoving Fondue's father and 'arc' into the final episode... fuck you. Just... fuck off. You wasted Nathan Fillion's charisma by giving him nothing to do or say. What's your plan for season 2, get Patrick Stewart in a non-speaking role? Have Sean Bean play a character who survives?

I didn't like the overall plot, it's extremely predetermined and there's no point where I felt the players' decisions actually changed anything. The villain shows up, gets one of the three rune-stones, gets a second one off-screen, then takes the third one from them with no way for them to stop him. When they fight him to foil his plot it's already set up so that killing him will only make him succeed, and the final boss fight was really just them wailing on it until the GM decided that the MacGuffin was ready so they could win. If I'd been a player in that campaign I would have probably quit after three sessions at most.

I'd give the show a 7/10, good animation and some nice laughs brought down by a poor plot and one guy shoving his stupid 'dramatic character arc' into an adventure that didn't need nor benefit from it.

If you liked this show, the best alternative out there would be campaign podcasts. Listen to them while you work out or commute. You'll hate 70% of them but 20% will be tolerable and you'll really enjoy the remaining 10%. I like Nerd Poker but it's not for everyone.

jesus christ user you've been on /pol/ too long

I'm referring to shows like Grimgarr, where the only interactions with the female characters as of episode 3 have been about which one of the visibly underage characters has the biggest tits and one character spying on them bathing. Attractive women are fine, it's just that not all of us want a show that's the equivalent of that one creepy guy in the group.

cheers, I'll give it a go

>I'm referring to shows like Grimgarr

Wow, it's almost like anime is targeted towards young, perverted boys :O

I hear you bro

I came to Veeky Forums in 2005 and basically parked my Internet here. I look at wiki articles that are posted on Veeky Forums, I watch movies that I hear about on Veeky Forums, but for the most part the only place on the Internet I ever go is Veeky Forums.

I tried to browse r-eddit once. I was expecting a layout similar to Veeky Forums, but that site doesn't even have any pictures, so I gave up and came back here.

Now at least once a week someone tells me to go back to red-dit or tumblr. Usually I don't even know what triggered them.

I would also like to know why sometimes Veeky Forums thinks r.e.ddit is spam and sometimes it's OK with me posting the name.

Adolescent boys being heavily interested in sexually attractive girls is not perversion, it's totally normal.

Okay?

>Young boys are perverted if they like show containing scantily clad girls
>No they're not, that's completely normal for young boys.
>I AM CONFUS

>I AM CONFUS
You most certainly are.

Only witches know about witchcraft.

Why would they read, when they can simply shitpost?

Sorry, I'm a fucking idiot
I'm aware that i'm the problem. I do need to go back

Grimgar is unredeemable shit.

Ah, Lodoss.
Associated series is Lodoss Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. A part sequel tv series to Record of Lodoss War. And then you have the flagship example characters for the Sword World RPG in the same setting, Louie the Rune Solider which is gag and cheesecake focused.

Not fat enough to be trump

I would go back, but I've grown far too cynical for Reddit at this point.

Also I would prefer to be referred to as correct nomenclature. It's Monumental Dumbass. It's been years since I was just a Fucking Idiot. Good Nomenclature is important.

Do you not remember the shadow leech scene with the elf?

Because newplayers do, and they bring shitty habits to games that are hard to un-learn.

Stop fat shaming the best husbando.

Do take note there are two versions of that game.
The Recorded footnotes version, and the actual version they played dark, which was some version of D and D, Likely 5e due to evasion and disadvantage being mentioned.

When you've adjusted for the fact that it's part of the worst genre that exists, is it shit compared to other things in that genre?

Yes.

>1 year delay
Eh, there's practically no delay in either direction now.

I see shit posted here 1-2 hours after it made the front page on reddit.

Of course, you still see shit from here circa 2006ish reposted on reddit all the time.

>stop fat shaming Dumpy.

Only Americans could produce gravy this rich.

Some episodes/guests were better than others.

Episode 1 was great.
Aubry Plaza is amazing.
Dildo Baggins was more humorous then he should have been.

I'd watch Season 2 right in it's jackle-ass face.

youtube.com/watch?v=EwCFGt7lP3g

I see.
And yet, you yourself are aware of it as well.
AHA! YOU'RE A WITCH!

But is he an aware witch, or a werewitch? Or is he an Aware Werewitch, watching What Not to Wear, or is it What Not to Were-, on SyFy channel?

- pix related
(this is the go to great)

>elf with a beard
REEEEEEEEEE

I'd like to think Anything of it, if I could fucking find a place to watch it not chopped up.

el pirato bay, mon frere

I watch LP's to determine if I like the game or for guides on how to do better in a section. I watch general gameplays for the comedy of the video uploader. I watch RPG's for the unique moments that particular group can have. (Also some comedy usually.) Pretty much, I watch RPG's for the same reason the people you know listen to LP's. Unfortunately, I sometimes can't only listen to the video because if I'm doing something else that gets me thinking, my thoughts drown out the video and next thing I know I've missed 30 minutes of the video.

PS Same reason I don't listen to audiobooks and read them instead. (Also, I read faster than people talk anyway.) When I want to work on a project, I listen to music. Most of the time I don't care if I miss parts of a song due to thinking.

Maybe tumblr would be more your speed, they love talking about how evil sexualization is. Need I remind you that this site was founded for a bunch of horny guys to jack off to anime?

He's a half-orc.

>be thirsty virgin
>be on Veeky Forums
>find person who isn't as thirsty or as virgin as me
>mfw
>get triggered
>tell him to keep this a safe space for thirsty virgins

Why are you doing this?

trash worst than critrole

Holy shit i forgot about this, Hank and Jed was my shit. Shame they keep doing BFFs but not this

Honestly funnier than 90% of comedy on tv and internet alike

>last episode was three years ago

>you are virgin if you are not tumblr sexually regressive

Expecting it to be a good example of play is like expecting actual examples of wilderness survival from "I'm a celebrity get them out of here"

Personally I'm glad he doesn't try and just. It would just mainly celebrities asking which dice is which and other newbie questions

It's not hard to learn about fake magic user

youtube.com/watch?v=oEmM_zKuTD0

youtube.com/watch?v=2QxyarOQ6lE

Dungeon dynamite, though it's only at 2 episodes now.

youtube.com/watch?v=k-J3nJerAyQ

Tigtone, but it's just the one episode.

Generally:
>Animation is fun
>Show is fairly funny
>Guest stars are hit-and-miss
>It's not really a DnD game, but a DnD themed improv show

I liked it a lot, but it's very much a "to each their own" situation.
Also
>TFW you will never run a game for Aubrey Plaza the sassy gnome

As much as I want Aubrey Plaza to fart in my mouth, she was by far the worst guest star.

I liked the "how the hell did she open the door" gag, but other than that I don't remember what she did

Damn, these are fun.

Ask someone who went to the live taping of episodes 1 and 2 of the new season anything

Is Harmon still an unfunny dick?

The taping was just a couple days after Trump was elected, so he was a bit on-purpose unfunny in addressing that; but he was alright during the actual show. Nothing terrible. I think it helped that he let the others (mostly Spencer, Jeff and the guests) take the reigns most of the time.

Adventure Zone?

She mirrored my first experiance with rpgs. Use everything on my sheet, become fixated on one plan, and then violently kill myself doing something stupid.

>takes politics to a personal level

It's... fine, I guess.

I like Dan Harmon, I like Jeff Davis, I like most of the guests, so it works for me. Then again, I think of it more as stand up than an actual session of D&D.

I like Acquisitions Incorporated and Twits and Crits though, both of them are pretty silly and not very serious, but they're more of the actual game and pretty entertaining to watch, if that's what you're after.

Damn I miss that show. Granted BFF is still good

This is a damning accusation, I will investigate further.

To be fair Sean Bean's best role was one where he survived. In fact, the role sucked up all of the plot armour from his acting career.

>Are there other shows like this out there?

You mean animated on a decent level and presented with the same level of production?

Not a one.

Slayers?

>Harmonquest

Anyone notice how often 19 damage gets rolled?

I...I really can't tell if this is a satirical show

They're a party made up of the people other parties didn't want. They do come across as being implausibly incompetent though, in particular they seem really unconcerned about improving their survivability over time even though they're in constant physical danger.

A classic.