Warhammer 40,000 General /40kg/

Imperial Truth Edition.

Previous Thread: >FAQ
17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Warhammer_40000_Designers_Commentary-ENG.pdf

>Latest news :
warhammer-community.com

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
mega.nz/#F!ToIUlLiR!o91HYGSY9WBNpei5P_2bTw List Builder
webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#!/rosterCreator#/rosterCreator

>WIP Math-hammer doc
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

Threadly reminder that Power Points are the objectively superior way to play this game, and anything else is for degenerates.

Can't the drones heal vehicles?
(these threads go too fast nowadays)

do I have to take an entire second LoW to be able to take a relic spartan or fellblade?

If so, whats the cheapest LoW choice for Imperium?

Reposting in the new thread
How is this looking for a first army?
This is just the models I have though I haven't added any more men or wargear to my marine squads, because they aren't assembled yet. I'm thinking of putting a combi-flamer and a meltagun in each squad maybe?

I don't know what to give my Librarian yet either, he's in here with a combi-plasma because it's the more expensive option, I have an old metal model and he currently has no left hand, I have the bits to give him either a plasma pistol, combi-plasma or storm bolter, but I don't know which to actually put there. Any other weapon option I'd need to do some conversion work to make.

First for anons shady hand math means he is over by 750 points

What if I play Open with no power or points though?

Get out

Correct, you can't take a relic as an Auxiliary detachment. You need to take a Super Heavy Detachment and 2 other Lords of War.

Rowboat Girlyman is pretty cheap.

The best thing about playing Open is because there's no costs for anything, I can play undersized units at no penalty so I can take a unit of 3 conscripts.

Have you read the matched play rules you dipshit?

>ARMY FACTION
>All of the units in a matched play army, with the exception of those that are UNALIGNED, must have at least one Faction keyword in common (e.g. IMPERIUM or CHAOS), even though they may be in different Detachments.

Wait, is the novel Mega dead?

Quick! While the Arbites are distracted, post Genestealer Cultists!

Nurgle best God.

Fuck, so you need Roboute and a knight gallant to take your Spartan?

Repostan for opinions.

What is this? A genestealer cult for ants?

This chart is bull shit, a 6 year old should just get an adult to help them make a list with points.

yeah fuck that relic rule

Well you need any other two non-relic Lords of War, because the Relic Rule means you can't take 1/2 Non/Relic or 0/1 Non/Relic.

I'm struggling to fit all the toys i want in my list

Be a faggot and play Age of Rowboat Girlyman then.

What if daddy is too busy drinking himself into a stupor to write pointed warhammer lists?

"E has come to"

>want to use all my grey knight terminators and power armor marines plus my land raider and dreadnought

>no fucking way this is possible

List your toys fuckboi.

source on original?

Fuck off Arch

Why is open even a thing?
I am pretty sure the people who where going to play however the fuck they wanted weren't sitting around going "golly gee I wish GW would say I could play however the fuck I want!". They just... did it.

Right-click, search google for this image. Alternatively, search for "debimboification."

Seraphim with melee weapons when? Give then power lances or something with +1str and low ap and cost appropriately. That would look fucking cool.

Seriously tho, what happened?

Are command scions going to get nerfed? They seem really fucking good, better than any elite option in any other codex.

The spawn of degenerates shouldn't play this game.

Because some drooling idiot in marketing came up with the "Three ways to play!" tagline then demanded they dedicate rulebook space to all three even though they're actually:

-Playing the game
-Campaign play framed as if it's a seperate thing instead of just something you do on top of regular play
-Just do whatever lol

But then who is going to play chaos?

Why do you want an image that is so blatantly slutshaming?

I like it alot, I assume the commander's will be mingled with the gaurdsmen and Celestine will cinematically lead from the front with the battle sisters. 10/10 would play against

How are Tyranid flyers? What's the accepted standard loadout for a Flyrant?

What's the best Leman Russ variant? Best Guard artillery? I hear the manticore puts in work.

What's the point of the single battle sister's squad?

This is canon.

There are no tyranid flyers. Flyrants are just regular hive tyrants with extra movement and the fly keyword. Harpies and crones are just monsters with fly and minimum move.

None of them have restricted turning and they don't occupy flyer slots in a detachment.

I doubt it, you take up 3 elite slots to get 12 scions and deep striking them is going to require either a valkyrie or eating up a lot of your deep strike slots.

T'au are the best faction lorewise.

Pretty great models and fun gameplay.

What's not to like?

>deep strike slots

How does this work? You mean the rule that you can't hold more than half of your units in reserve?

Frontline Gaming has all but told us that a nerf is coming for them, yes.

They said it in a way that says "we have inside info from GW and continued playtesting we can't talk about yet" but it was basically stated as "just some friendly advice, don't rush out and buy a ton of scion command squads right away, maybe wait a bit, just a hint"

Holy fuck Boys how do I choose my chapter now? I just came back. I'm between Iron hands, space wolves and black Templars.

Pretty sure marine infantry suck for the most part so I want to play with landraiders, characters, flying vehicles and dreads. Are dreads as busted as they look? Should I just be playing wolves? I'm going to be playing competitively, so be ruthless. I'm willing to buy 6 dreads or whatever I'll need.

I'm not sure about the special weapons squad taking snipers. A command squad would generally be better as they hit more often but cost the same. Maybe switch the SWS and one of the command squads around? You lose a heavy flamer, but your snipers hit better and one of your squads front-line flamers gets more HP. Plus you could still take an SWS flamer squad and a Command Flamer squad in a single chimera if you wanted with room to spare.

The concept and people who play them?

Yeah, its just easy to think about there being X amount of deep strike slots in your army where X = half the total number of units in your army.

Even so how are they

Wait... do people actually let opponents bring a list that's over the number of points you agreed for the match?

I've always operated on an extremely strict up-to-or-equal-to the point limit policy and not even considered going over, or allowing someone else to go over, by even a single point for any game that is planned in advance and any tournament environment.

I can't really fathom the kind of person who would agree to a 1500 match, has days to put together a list before we meet up, then deliberately go over 1500 and act like that was okay.

>fun gameplay

What am I missing?

Most factions are 'DURR SHOOT GUN'.

Tau are about teamwork. Markerlights and For the Greater Good are great parts of the Tau force which reward working together.

He's a pointfag baiting. Be the bigger user.

Tacticals are fine, devastators are fine, assault marines are still meh.

Marine infantry is okay/10.

>land raiders

god(hammer)-tier except the redeemer which is overpriced for being two heavy flamers and an assault cannon.

>characters

They're okay but need meat shields. Biker characters are still supreme.

>flying vehicles

They're ugly but good.

>dreads

Pretty good but the non-shooty ones will be less effective until they come out with the plastic dread drop pod.

>I'm going to be playing competitively, so be ruthless. I'm willing to buy 6 dreads or whatever I'll need.

Don't fucking buy expensive ass models just to be a WAAC tournie fag, its an unbelievable waste of your time and money. Buy stuff you actually like to build and paint.

You can't go wrong with loading up on as many dreadnoughts as you are legally allowed.

Which books should I start with?
I've heard they're finally moving forward with the timeline, but GW has purged their site of Gathering Storm, so I wonder where to buy them. Any recommendations for a first book?

Frontline Gaming are the fags who said they had got the balance right the first time and repeatedly demonstrated they didn't know the rules they have supposedly been playtesting for a year. Their credibility is nonexistent.

>Any recommendations for a first book?

The main rulebook.

>As many dreads as you're legally allowed

18 in 2000 points then. (You do have to spam the single cheapest dread loadout in existence to do this)

That kind of list is tournament material.

Will this be able to beat space wolf storm shield dread spam though?

Easily.

Via shooting. So, there you go, DURR shoot spotting laser and all other weapons.

>Which books should I start with?

lol gr8 b8

WHERE IS THE BOOK MEGA

I have 72 heavy bolters, how many shields and axes do you have?

They seem like they're all about static gunlines now. Which isn't that fun for me.

Anyone?

It'd be funny if the indexes are actually the last, public phase of testing 8th, and death guard and chadmarines got their codexes before the first balance pass. Death guard would probably be okay. Chadmarines however...

>They seem like they're all about static gunlines now.

Static gunlines are a losing proposition in this edition, given the many ways there are able to be 1st turn charges.

Also, both Kauyon and Montka suck ass. I miss units that could jump shoot jump.

Tau being static die. It's all about that manoeuvre.

I sexually Identify as an Harbringer bomber. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over hive cities dropping nuclear warheads on pathetic corpse-worshippers. People say to me that a person being a 300 metre long apocalyptic super-bomber is Impossible and I'm fucking retarded but I don't care, I'm heretical. I'm having a team of warpsmiths install gigantic steel armour plates, masses of reaper autocannon turrets and merge a daemon with my very soul. From now on I want you guys to call me "Harbringer" and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can't accept me you're a apocalypse-bomberphobe and need to check your loyalist privilege. Thank you for being so understanding.

fag

Any word on if the FW AM Index is out yet?

Giving a hive tyrant wings is basically just giving it a jump pack, so exactly the same as a regular hive tyrant, alright at shooting, good at close combat. Hive crones are mediocre, Harpies are pretty good and can shit mortal wounds all over people.

dead thread

Nailed it then, that's what I was going for, I've modelled my Celestine carrying one of those Guardsmen banners.

Flavour, but it's also nice when playing guard to have a unit that actually has a half decent save. Sisters squads are actually really good value for what you get.

Solid advice user, thanks.

Ork question: Should I accompany my Megakannons with a character, and if so which one?

What's the verdict on HWT autocannons? I feel like they are just not as good as cheap Lascannons and heavy bolters.

Uh, looks like its 13 great axe/stormshield venerable dreadnoughts at 2000 points

72 heavy bolters will do 5.33 wounds to a single dread if they don't move, 4 if they do move.

Under best circumstances you'll get 32 wounds over 6 turns, so you'll still only kill a little less than 4 dreads with the other 9 able to poop all over otherwise armless dreads.

Yes, it happened all the time at my gaming group, WHICH IS MADE OF NORMAL PEOPLE, WHO PLAY FOR FUN.

> Show up to a geedubs
> Ask a friend if they're up for a 1500 point game
> Start pulling out models and adding points on the spot
> Eventually reach 1508, but I don't have anything that's less than the difference
> Ask opponent, "Hey, I'm 8 points over, do you want to add anything to your list?" like a normal person with social skills
> Opponent goes, "Sure, I can give someone like a flamer or digital weapons"
> Game goes as normal because we aren't autistic fucks.

Now in 8th edition it goes,
> Ask opponent if they're up for a 75 point game
> Opponent reaches 78 points, but they're elite so they don't have the ability to go any lower with their current models
> They say they're 3 points over
> I add some small things to make up the difference.
> Game proceeds as normal

They're not too bad. Good for what they do which is kill medium infantry and light vehicles.

Oh come on, have you honestly never been in this kind of situation?

I personally hold strictly to point limits, but a lot of the people at my FLGS are very casual. If they want to play a game 5 points over, and it isn't a tournament, I will always let them. Hell, sometimes I'll let them play 50 points over if they are new.

Firstly because it is more important to get a good, friendly game going without making your opponent rewrite his list and the extra points pretty much never matter, and secondly because 99.9% of the time, if your opponent asks you to play 5 points over his list is very unoptimized anyway.

>IG can comfortably fit multiple brigades in one list while maintaining consistency
Why is this allowable?
Why are point costs so low and troops restriction free?
Minimum selections of 1 across unit types and 40 or less point entries in HQ, troop, elite and heavy support?

They're versatile and aren't worthless shooting at marines or light vehicles.

They're a legit halfway point between a HB and a lascannon.

What's the opinions on warbuggies/skorcha buggies, warbikes, and deffkoptas?

They seem very different from their previous edition counterparts and I wanna know how my cult of speed army will handle this edition.

I scored a 3.5 lb grab bag of 40k for $60 - want me to post the results? There are some great deals and some MIGHTY HORRIFIC paint jobs.

Needs more Thunderfire Cannons

Do ittt

>Bad paint jobs

Buy a bottle of Dettol and enjoy cheap ass minis.

>objectively

Stop using words you don't understand.

You're a fucking moron.

Honestly im biased as I hate all of those models except the Warbikes and im pretty sure they are now obscenely overcosted and lost too much

>want me to post the results
Yes.

Same. My 2500pt GK army jumped up to about 3300pts. Fucking special weapons man.

>I miss units that could jump shoot jump.
That was cancer of the highest degree and part of the reason balance was dead in 7th.

Notice how scatbikes, riptides, and warp spiders, all units with JSJ, just HAPPENED to be the most broken spammable units?