You guys are no strangers to SMT games but what are your thoughts on Digital Devil Saga as a setting?

You guys are no strangers to SMT games but what are your thoughts on Digital Devil Saga as a setting?

Pre- or post- the starting event of the first game?

Are we talking gangs with guns fighting each other for dominion at the behest of the Karma Temple, or demons devouring each other on the orders of a goddess?

Sorry man, I'm stuck on the Nintendo side of SMT. IV is pretty cool though.

Post people getting the Atmas although for effect you'd probably do a session or two before that happens for the sure shock factor of knowing you have to eat other people to survive

I want to run a SMTIV game just to surprise people with Tokyo

I will admit that part was rather jarring but I suppose it wouldn't be an SMT game if it didn't rock your expectations.

Yeah, what said. A real SMT twist would be thinking you're in Tokyo the whole time, but the end reveals you're in New York City. Or possibly Disney's Epcot exhibit for Japan.

Or the fact you're in a battle simulation because the real world is ravaged by god (the sun) being angered and turning people who weren't demons into stone.

Hmm, or what if it turns out the SMT games are just games in the Persona universe? I dunno, I always just wanted those two series to collide spectacularly.

It'd probably work better as a tabletop game than regular SMT.

I'm curious what makes you say that.

Isn't that the case in Megaman Battle Network? Classic Megaman is a game in their universe?

I don't even know. The second Battle Network game I played was 4, and after that I wanted nothing to do with the franchise. God, can't believe I got suckered into buying that piece of shit. And 3 was so good!

Not him, but I would assume because there isn't any recruitment and fusion. I could imagine sessions could get really bogged down in that.

Things are certainly easier when you only have your own group to deal with but technically you could still recruit others it's just you have to kill and eat the leader of the other tribes first. Kinda sucked they glossed over and seemingly non of the other Tribemembers were involved.

Ah, I guess that's something unique to the main series. Yeah, as much as I like SMT IV, having to continually hunt down more demons is kinda annoying. Especially when the reason you're forced to is because they're all programmed to give diminishing returns. It just feels like the devs are forcing me into doing something I'd rather not do.

Would 99 levels be feasible in an SMT tabletop? What effects would stats like Agility and Luck have?

I feel like the "it's secretly the matrix" twist is kind of already blown by attaching it to DDS

If you want to do that, start it as a persona game, and then reveal their highschool life is actually a simulation, and the monsters they're fighting are actually symptoms of the simulation breaking down. If they want to break free, they actually have to destroy the school.

Then reveal when they wake up that they are actually the demons, and their simulation was a prison meant to keep them and millions of other demons in check - which they have now released

And at the end they have to choose between checking back into the matrix, overthrowing god, or establishing their own independent future where humans and demons coexist

It's not unique to the main series. Persona has the same idea, 3 and onward just limit it to the protagonist. DDS is pretty much the odd one out.

>Would 99 levels be feasible in an SMT tabletop?
Not unless you do app integration or something like Silver Rain.

Well, that's the main gameplay feature. Like, that's the draw of the series. If it's not your thing then it's not your thing.

I actually was homebrewing an SMT table top, but I haven't checked to see what files survived my computer crash months ago.