ITT: We vent about recent problems in tabletop

>spend weeks building world, designing recurring NPCs, and hooks to adapt to player motives and desires
>really motivated, this game is going to be fun
>Session 1 happens
>Tell me about your character, player A
>They're an elf
>any reason they're here? What do they want?
>They're an elf GM why does the rest of that even matter I just want to play an elf

FUCK YOU CUNTS I JUST WANT A GAME THAT HAS SOME DEPTH NOT JUST YOU FUCKS WANDERING FROM DUNGEON TO DUNGEON WATCHING NUMBERS STACK UP

>Players make snap judgment about other characters or courses of action.
>About half the time, they turn out to be wrong as fuck, largely because they made these decisions before getting any relevant information.
>Of course, they will NEVER revise their initial assessments in light of new information.

>hooks to adapt to player motives and desires
>Tell me about your character, player A
Something doesn't add up. How you designed character specific hooks without even knowing the race of a character?

"hooks to adapt" is future tense, I assume he wrote the skeletons of these hooks and intended to flesh them out once he'd learned about the PCs

>run a short dialogue and roleplay-heavy arc revolving around solving a mystery about a couple of missing people
>one player takes charge and is the first to respond to everything and dominates play
>the rest of the players are slow to respond and reluctant to participate even when I have NPCs directly address their characters

>that one player can't show up for one session of the arc
>game's pace stumbles and drags because nobody is willing to step up, even without the domineering player there to steal the spotlight

I can't win with these people.

>find a discord for a game I've been jonesing to try
>nobody is running any campaigns yet
>fuck it, I'll run a shitty casual campaign to inspire others to get some groove on
>several of the players who joined the campaign are continuously dramatic over minor things

If it was just one it wouldn't be so bad, but every session a new issue comes up.

I've recently got a new job. I have no idea whether I'm going to be able to turn up to my regular Saturday night sessions, let alone doing it on time.

>Play 4e
>One party member can't make it, we choose to give his character to a different party member to control in combat
>That person was more effective with the character than the actual character's player ever has been, using their powers in unique ways and making use of feats the player's never even mentioned because he forgot about them
>I just assumed he made some weird character choices or something because he was being so bad at everything
>Don't want to tell the actual character's player hes been playing like shit for 3 months now

>not discussing with your players what's important to them before starting the campaign

QUIT MAKING EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER THE SAME SMARMY ASSHOLE THAT DOESN'T CARE ABOUT TORTURE OR EMOTIONS

QUIT HAVING SOME MEME ANIMAL BE PART OF YOUR CHARACTER

> I JUST WANT A GAME THAT HAS SOME DEPTH NOT JUST YOU FUCKS WANDERING FROM DUNGEON TO DUNGEON WATCHING NUMBERS STACK UP
Don't play DnD, then.

>That guy who gives every character something to do with a wolf and then tries to say he isnt a furry
Yeah ok buddy we totally believe you

Was my subconscious posting while I was asleep?

This sounds like an "everything" problem, not just tabletop.

For this guy it was bears. Bogged down the game with autistic arguments about how much bear food cost. Got irritated once because people were afraid of said bear as he brought it into a tavern.

Oh speaking of bears

No you can't make sir bearington

>getting ready for my first session of Cyberpunk 2020 tomorrow.
>90% sure that nobody except one guy has even glanced at the rules and only two people have created characters because I helped them do it.

STOP JUST ROLLING DICE FOR NO REASON

TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT TO DO AND I'LL TELL YOU TO ROLL SOMETHING

>he talks over everyone else
>during combat, every turn is his turn, even when it's my gm's turn
>makes unoptimized munchkin characters
Help

Holy fuck, are you me?

>unusually be a quite character who try to just put in appropriate suggestions. (Normally get ignored, but not always) then follow our lead characters.
>Join new group and end up being the lead and second loudest.
>Lose our loudest. Soon to lose me.
I try very very hard to get this new group to speak up and role play and lead. But by today they will literally let the campaign come to a full halt because they almost refuse to talk and when they do they avoid any form of communication.

Fucking this

niggas just start talking our GM is super forgiving with conversations especially because he knows you're new you're not going to fuck the entire game up

STOP TRYING TO WEASEL OUT OF ANYTHING EVEN MINORLY NEGATIVE THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR CHARACTER SHIT FUCK AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>Group decides it'd be a funny idea to threaten the skysmith's daughter with bodily mutilation with a weapon to her neck because the kid were just doing the dumb kid thing of asking too many questions
>get mad when the skysmith tells them to fuck off he won't repair their airship
>we were just joking user stop being so serious
>told them session 0 it was a serious campaign
>game ended with them bitching that I'm railroading them even though the city is filled with other people who can repair their ship, though it'll take longer or won't be as high of a quality

Fuck players yo

Fuck man, it's not even like that. I'm talking that every failed attack roll comes with 15 minutes of bargaining with/attempting to bribe/bitching to the GM.

>If I was in that group I'd have come up with the brilliant idea of threatening the skysmith if he did not repair our airship.
>We'll just keep threatening people until it comes full circle.
>Or hell, make a bluff check and say you thought his daughter was a morphling or something. We're adventurers, we see that kind of shit.

>Bored of friends DnD, despite being not the best, willing to GM a game of Only War, get 3 people I know
>One person completely dodges any social interactions and seems only half interested in game proper, the other didnt even read the rulebook and takes ages to take any action whatsoever. Game dies after 3 sessions.

>Year later
>Bored out of mind on DnD and friends dumb houserules, willing to give it another shot. Grab 2 new guys who are actually into the setting and the guy who was solid last time.
>One guy completely chimps out after in 10 minutes I cannot give him an in-depth answer as to how would you go about crafting complex things as a tech-priest and tell him he is unlikely to magic himself high-end gear while in the field. Starts shit talking me in front of others before we even get to regiment creation. Game dies before it even started.
I just want to play something wihtout "le ebin disadvantage on shooting because something is in melee"

>DM talks about how much he plans
>Clear he's just running by the seat of his pants
>I'm playing a bard and any social interaction beyond pulling teeth
>another player dares to interact with environment and is rewarded by being buried under DM Fiat instant death. No rolls, no saves, no damage. Just "you should roll up a new character now"
>Has told me he hasn't cracked a book in months for his season planning
>Walls off areas with limitless, insurmountable enemies
>Incapable of planning a combat encounter with any more depth than one strong enemy or a horde of smaller ones
>Often misquoted, misunderstands, or simply doesn't know the rules (Biggest example being that he thought that all rituals in 4e took literal hours to cast when in reality the longest cap out around a single hour)

Holy shit just read the rules. Read a module so you know how to set things up. Give your NPC's names. Do something to show us you are capable of higher cognitive function. I'm almost thankful work is going to get in the way of me showing up.
Probably going to start my own game if I can get my friends to agree on another day

>Group has game ADHD and is constantly talking about starting up three different new campaigns when we can just barely run one consistently though that one game's been pretty fun desu
>I'm also totally guilty of this and have a few campaign ideas knocking around
>Don't have the time or energy to learn the several more systems it would take to run/play these games effectively

Fresh from last night
>My group usually does high fantasy or urban fantasy games
>However, we have a tradition where towards the start of Summer, I run a horror one shot, been calling it "Dead Teenagers." Generally inspired by 80's horror movies.
>They love those one shots, to the point that the villains I use for them end up being long running in jokes for the group.
>Last night was "Dead Teenagers 4"
>Loosely based it on "Night of the Creeps", they are partying at a cabin in the woods, meteor strikes, strange alien goop makes zombies, brains get eaten.
>Start later than usual, and between being tired from work that day and how late we started, I regretfully kinda phone it in.
>They still have fun, so, it's okay.
>After the session, they chat with me about the game for abit.
>Tells me it wasn't going in they was they expected.
>On the way to the cabin, I had them pass by a church witb the sign reading "Repent now! The end is near." And mentioned how it wasa crazed snake handling my d of church, and the pastor creeped them out the one time they met him.
>They thought he was going to be the villain, and the zombies were going to be his doing.
>I'm a religious studies major, with a focus on cults.

I COULD'VE DONE SOMETHING CREEPY AND AWESOME, BUT NO, STANDARD SHOOT IN THE HEAD ZOMBIES! I am so disappointed in myself

at least you had a shot. I don't even have people to play with. Such sad. no war...

I fuckin know that feel. Have two groups. One is made of college buddies, others are brother's gang. College guys have shitloads of initiative, discuss strategies etc.
With my bro's gang:
>So where do you choose to go?
> ... *collective shrugging and bug eyes*
> yoooou cooooould goooo to the scene of the crime to investigate?
> "yeah, sure, that sounds good"
swear to god I feel like a tour guide in those moments.

>Run a game for over a year
>Get tired of GMing, and ask the other players if they'd be willing to run something in the mean time
>Cue almost a year of nothing that lasts longer than 5-6 session.
>Want to die

The latest one has been the worst.
>Player who hasn't gm'd before going to GM
>Seems really excited, keeps coming to me for advice and stuff, which is great.
>Can't start right way, due to scheduling and shit, so the game is going to be on a month delay
>2 weeks before its slated to start
>"I'd really rather be a player, can we try to find someone else to GM this?"

I think I need a new group, but I'm terrified meeting new people, and my experience in gamefinder threads have people being even more flakey.

>I am so disappointed in myself
You can't perform at peak efficiency all of the time. One of the keys to being a good GM is not getting upset with yourself when you could have done better. I'm a perfectionist, so it took me a good while to learn this one. You just gotta shrug it off and look towards the future.

Could be that you're encouraging this behavior and don't realize it...

>playing in friends campaign, I usually am Forever DM so I'm willing to put up with just about anything
>his campaign apparently has an overarching plot, but its a secret what that plot is and we're supposed to "piece it together as we play" like a mystery novel
>he gives almost no direction whatsoever, expecting us to read his mind about where the incredibly obscure "clues" as to what to do are. It's like playing the D&D version of a 90s point and click adventure game.
>if we just say screw it and go try to do something off-script, we always get massively chumped out and destroyed by powerful enemies and insurmountable challenges
>not wanting to be The Three Stooges any longer constantly being humiliated, but also unable to figure out what to do, we just turtle up and wait for him to get frustrated and reveal what he wanted us to do all along

We've talked about it and it's since been more or less resolved but could you unconsciously be doing something like this, punishing them for going off the rails and making them scared to try anything?

Admittedly, I'm just beating myself over something minor, since they all still had fun last night. That said, I will put the necromantic fire and brimstone preacher on file and save it for another game.

"And so the grave will release the dead, and all shall be judged."

>character keeps dying due to the dice
>I've been brought back 7 times now
>no longer feel like a hero, just feel like a waste of space
>just want to play a different character but DM is strongly against changing characters when you're waist deep in the story

>just want to play a different character but DM is strongly against changing characters when you're waist deep in the story
Fuck this so hard. Leave my man, it ain't worth it. I was in the same situation just a few months ago, and let me tell you something, I felt great to be out. It was a little sad because I put some work into alternative characters only for the GM to shoot me down anyway, but given he wasn't letting me change in the first place that was no big loss.

Play it up as the Kenny of the group?

I've been trying to get my DM to understand that we play D&D to feel like cool badass heroes, and he doesn't get it. Insists on the campaign being brutal and gritty and realistic, emphasizing how insignificant and powerless our characters are constantly

>run a weekly game at my FLGS for some kids
>game says online that it'll run for three hours
>one kid has to leave after two hours and tries to get me to skip to the boss fight so he can get whatever treasure there is
>every fuckin' week

I've the same problem really, my friend decided that despite having no experience with any rpgs, hell insert "realistic" houserules in his first go. Nerfs on shooting attacks all around, you dont normally heal outside of dice, which never come back unless you spend a week doing literally nothing (and we never have the time, there is always an artificial doomsday clock). Healing potions are incredibly shit, cost an arm and a leg despite loot not really being a thing until recently. If you are downed and get healed your turn is skipped.
Last two years were spent complaining that our characters are mostly based around spells and interactions that allow us not to get hit much.
Since the campaign started as a bit more episoding kind of a thing he went through at least over a dozen people, none of which though the houserules fit the game very well.

It was my first game of DnD despite knowing about the system for ages beforehand, but I really have to agree that this system doesnt do realism whatsoever and probably shouldnt be treated like it should/can. That and houseruling a ton when you don't know the system and because some experienced grognards did that on some RPG show is a truly bad idea.

>Players make snap judgment about other characters or courses of action.
>About half the time, they turn out to be wrong as fuck, largely because they made these decisions before getting any relevant information.

My latest character has that exact trait as his primary character flaw and his habit of wading into situations and immediately forming opinions actually largely steered the campaign.

Of course he would admit he was wrong when he found evidence to the contrary and those moments have been really good RP moments.

Some examples from the campaign we have:

>Initially campaigned against a persistent bandit group only to realize they were a rebel force trying to take down an awful racist tyrant, so we joined them and took down the tyrant.

>Concluded that fey were essentially soul eating cosmic horrors (thanks to repeated hag encounters) and had quite a few aggressive run-ins with faeries before we met a good fey that managed to convince him some fey are good (or at least not evil)

I don't understand the appeal of trying to make a tabletop game "realistic" or "hard" anyway...

If I wanted to feel like an insignificant, unimportant person who struggles to do anything of note I'd just go outside.

Talk to the group and maybe drop it to two hours?

>QUIT HAVING SOME MEME ANIMAL BE PART OF YOUR CHARACTER
This.

It's always bears or wolves.

Or drop the guy who has to jet. 2 hours is so short, it's hardly worth it, especially considering that it's unlikely to all be game time.

That's not nearly as retarded, and it's only restricted to one character.

Meanwhile ,in m campaign.

>Party heads to this one little town.
>Everyone in town is acting all weird
>Players don't know this at first, but an evil wizard has connected his soul to each and every person in the town, whcih gives him not quite outright mind control, but a huge amount of influence over everyone.
>All the townsfolk talk about how great their "Lord Protector" is, and how they don't need any other defense, and all live in peace and harmony. I was going for a very Stepfordish sort of climate.
>Instead, players take these guys at their word
>The Lord Protector really is an upright, honest, good guy.
>And sure, he might be assembling this arcane rod in the center of town for purposes unknown. And that same rod might be giving off an aura that pings the detect evil radar like a mofo, bu he's a NICE guy, so he clearly has a good reason for doing so.
>The original plan was supposed to be about how he blackmails them and they're going to either bite the bullet and just kill him (which would severely fuck up everyone in the town), or try to outsmart him and come up with a way of getting him to let his guard down, release the villagers before striking.
>Instead, they gullibly get all the pieces he needs to make his Doom Rod, at which point he massacres the entire town (don't need those fucks anymore) and heads off to places unknown for purposes unknown, while the players stand openmouthed at how it all happened.

They seem awfully gullible. So it sounds like this was a good learning experience for your players.

Always find out why they want the spooky Doom Rod parts!

There's not a set group, there's just a rotating group of middle schoolers who show up (i.e. get dropped off by their shitty parents) every Saturday and the owner asked me if I could run herd on them so that they stop getting under people's feet. I get paid for it so I can't complain but will anyways because goddamn I hate children.

I'll give you an example:
>running a story where in the PCs have been hired to guard a group of settlers on a ship during it's week long voyage
>the cook dies from 'getting his throat cut syndrome'
>they meet with the captain who wants them to investigate subtly to keep the settlers from panicking
>the first reaction from one kid is 'I loot the kitchen and steal all the onions!'

To be honest, I hadn't planned that far ahead; I thought that no matter what they did, they wouldn't let him get away with his blatantly obvious schemes. Now I have to come up with something suitably nasty, but I'll have something ready for the time they cross paths again.

And yeah, it's not so much gullibility; it's that they always seem to go with wahtever their first impression is. The first time they heard about the Lord Protector was from a blacksmith under his mental thrall who endlessly talked about how great he was. That made a positive impression, and nothing else they ran into later, like anyone in the town with enough mental fortitude to resist his control (if not the soul-linking) saying what a horrible bastard he was meant anything. After all, they're just malcontents, you have a few in every town.

Lol. Sounds like they're children who want to act like silly children, imagine that. Sorry these ADHD kids don't want to take your super serious game super seriously

Okay, fair point. I'm a bit of a grouchy old man in that regard. But when this sort of hyjinks makes the game go long and then the parents come up to me afterwards and tell me how rude I am because they had to wait thirty minutes for me to wrap up the story it's hard for me to be a model of neutrality and understanding.

As a GM, I don't give a fuck why you play system X. You don't like the basic premise of the campaign, you leave. You're not entitled to get your way.

>unoptimized munchkin characters

I humbly request more details as that makes no sense to me.

>badwrongfun is not allowed at MY table

I run MY game MY way for MY own enjoyment. You adapt to me, or you find somewhere else to play.

Elsewise, you're welcome to be the one who does all the work, and GM yourself.

Try making something that plays to their strengths instead?

Hahah holy fuck

I agree with , I think you may want to either dumb down your games or make something more relatable to small children, or both. They could be behaving ridiculously because they are kids, or because they aren't invested in the game.

You might even want to forgo planning in favor of improvisation. For example, as they run to steal the onions they encounter a rat man, who is taking all the onions for himself. Now that bit of ridiculousness becomes an important plot point.

>No you can't make sir bearington

or any meme characters you read up on teegee.

I don't know what it was, but about 3 months ago there was a period of about 2 weeks where almost every new player wanting to join my group was rolling some fucking Old Man Henderson rip off.

Eh it's still the same when playing with 30 something's

I'd run something improvisational but I have a time limit and can't just leave things to spin out. Maybe you didn't notice the thing about their moms getting all pissed at me which means that my boss then has to come have a talk with me. These people are treating the store like a daycare and I'm left to find something to keep the kids from running around in the parking lots trying to get into fights (which they have done). They show up, don't spend any money and leave trash all over the damn place. I'd break their scrawny fucking necks like so many goddamn chickens if I thought I could get a jury that wouldn't convict.

Not him, but I imagine he's talking about the type of player that looks up builds and ability combinations on optimization forums but doesn't understand how the abilities work together.

Or he could be the type of player who doesn't fully read abilities and willfully misinterprets them, like a guy I knew who tried to take levels in both barbarian and monk in D&D 5e so he could add both Wisdom and Constitution to his AC, even though both Unarmored Defense class features point out that they don't work together.

Time limit.
Run Paranoia.
Do timed missions, like "There's a bomb going off!"

>spend weeks building world, designing recurring NPCs, and hooks to adapt to player motives and desires
>never once bother to touch base with your players to discuss their characters and help them fit into the world
I mean, this one was kind of your fault.

The idea is to make the achievements feel like you worked for them. If success is easy in a game it probably isn't rewarding, you wan't to optimize that 'by the skin of their teeth' success rate in players, the best victory is a phyrric victory where they just barely made it out alive. Long rests at my table are 7 days, short rests are 1 day, and thats just because I want my players to strategize their moves and not be able to take a nap in the dungeon to refill their hp. Its not because 'realism', thats a side effect, but its mostly because I just want my players to crawl to the finish line but to also be able to say that they overcame something worthy of feeling accomplished about.

Realism in D&D is overrated, but its still a potentially valuable part of a campaign constructed around it.

The owner insists that I run 5e D&D because if someone in the store runs D&D on a Friday or Saturday every week he gets free shit. I'd gripe about having to run D&D but that's a different story (nothing against the system, I'm just tired of it).

Then do timed missions.

But then there's not room for improve because I have to railroad them along on the time limit or else we'll get caught up in trying to steal poisoner's kits and selling them back to the people they stole them from or stealing onions or throwing potatoes at the hag's cottage or finding an enchanter to enchant all their equipment (and arguing over costs) or buying horses (and arguing over costs) or whatever new shit they come up with.

No? If they fail, it all blows up. The end. Sucks for them.

>the best victory is a Pyrrhic victory where they just barely made it out alive

But every single time? That's what I'm complaining about, is that there's never even once an opportunity for us to just stomp our enemies or totally outwit an opponent. It almost feels like playing a video game against an opponent that cheats, where no matter how good our plan there will always be a group of enemies 1 level higher than us right around the corner, or no matter how high we roll the enemies will have rolled 1 higher.

I wish he'd listen to our complaints that there be a little more balance and indulge the party every once in a while. Like, why are the town guards always 3 levels higher than us no matter where we go?

Yeah, stuff like this. It's a huge pain in the ass because someone makes a two-dimensional characters that's based around a single idea, and then the idea doesn't work. One of mine asked for a new character because of that, but I let him, because his original character was crap in every way.

Still, you get a munchkin without any of the actual combat capability. It keeps them more in line with the rest of the party, but somehow it's still something you can't really respect.

On the other hand, builds that use munchkin logic to make something that shouldn't be viable actually work are fine.

Yeah, not every single time. Its just climaxes that should be like that. It sounds like he's arbitrarily rough, guards usually should be pretty damn Yamcha tier in power level and should only be a threat in even fights during early levels. Late game if guards are a problem it would be because someone assembled an army of them.

If he likes 'Realism' bring up that its not realistic for guards to be so powerful. If he still maintains his position, then he likely actually just wants everything to be hard because hes a sadist or something. I couldn't see how he thinks thats fun to play against, personally.

Did that twice. A single character died and he got pissed off enough and raised a big enough stink that I had to retcon it. The other time a monastery burned down and they didn't get the treasure and they were all griping next week and demanding a bigger treasure in case they 'fell behind'. I can't just say 'sucks for them' because then they don't have fun.

The system I've found that works for them but is incredibly dull for me is to just throw a shit ton of magical items at a every single player and then just sit back as they engage in the whole sale slaughter of whatever enemy I set up against them. There's no longer a question of 'will they be in any danger' but instead 'will any enemies survive beyond a round or two'. Their munchkin-y delight at getting to kill whole armies of orcs is able to keep them focused.

Sounds like a pointless waste of time and effort. Stop running the game and tell them to get lost.

It's my job to run the game. The kids get dropped off by their parents, the manager realized he could get free shit and keep them from running around kicking each other in the shins by having one of us run a game for the kids, I'm the new guy and can't run any of the other tournaments so I got asked to do this since I mentioned, not realizing what I was getting myself into, that I like DMing.

>Never fudge rolls
>run appropriate CR encounters with one or two spikes
>Enjoy combat where the players mostly win with maybe one moment per session where they shit themselves but come out victorious in the end with at worst maybe one PC death.

I don't know why so many GM's find this so hard. If D&D can do anything it's tactical combat well that has natural highs and lows due to the linear distribution of the D20.

In other words, you call yourself a GM, but you've never GM'ed for more than 2 sessions before your players find themselves a less overbearing asshole to GM their fun and you keep sitting on your unfinished campaigns wondering why the fuck nobody but you understands how enjoyment works.

CR has been a shitshow in every edition except 4e, and everyone hated 4e.
Nobody actually wants tactical combat D&D, they want some amorphous, nostalgic feels game and are actively repulsed by anything that breaks their mad illusion.

>then he likely actually just wants everything to be hard because hes a sadist or something
Sadist GMs (in the actual BDSM sense) are actually some of the best GMs you can hope for, as they know a thing or two about how much pain and suffering their charges can take.

>QUIT HAVING SOME MEME ANIMAL BE PART OF YOUR CHARACTER
I'm an idiot; explain what you mean by that? Having an animal familiar/companion that acts like a meme?

It's your job, not your sacred duty. Leave and see how long he puts up with them.

Easy to say if its not your income on the line.

Get a different job.

It's working fine in 5E for me.

The problem is people don't read the rules. 5E is designed for 6-8 encounters per day with a mix of easy, standard and hard encounters. If this is too much then you can have 5 encounters but most need to be medium or hard to provide an overall challenge. While a hard encounter by itself can actually be quite simple for a group eventually they'll have their resources worn down. They're however meant to beat most if not all of the fights as they're the heroes.

I mitigate some long rest spamming by having random encounters that can interrupt a long rest and prevent it for the day.

Granted there's a few spikes as it's hard to quantify a creature like an intellect devourer and the game assumes that the GM hasn't been attacked by an intellect devourer himself and can actually read what the monster does and contrast it to the power level his party as to decide whether it's appropriate.

PUT THE FUCKING PHONE DOWN FOR FUCKS SAKE WOULD IT KILL YOU TO PUT THE PHONE DOWN HOLY FUCK YOU HAVE BEEN TAPPING AT THAT THING FOR 2 HOURS ALMOST CONTINUOUSLY PAY SOME ATTENTION FOR FUCKS SAKE!

>DM constantly snubed us at every moment he gets
>stuck in his dark fantasy zone for over a year
>powerleveled from 13 to 20 in less than 2 weeks (ingame) on slow exp progression, on characters we wanted to take our time with
>inserts characters into our backstories that never existed, but then decides to kill them at the very last second or never brings them up again
>story had no real conclusion
>we had no downtime to plan for anything or roleplay, we were always on the back foot for every encounter, which sometimes would last multiple sessions
because of the sheer amount of enemies he would throw at us
>we got downtime once and two of our party members died because they decided they wanted to try to have fun
>his reoccurring "villain" was beaten fair and square three times prior to his actual death but was always got away from an asspull or the DM nerfing a spell after the villain failed the save

I've got an idea for a cool campaign, wanna join?
>A: Oh yeah, I've got time!
>B: Same here!
>C: I'm totally up for a game, looking for a group myself right now
> etc.
Planning out the campaign, preparing hooks, preparing NPCs, go through various material and books to find cool shit
>A: Hey, here's my character concept
Sounds great, working together to finish and flesh out the character
>B: I'm gonna make this character
working on it for a while, sounds neat
etc for every player.

Couple of weeks later, everything's ready, good to go;
"Okay, so when do we play? Does Saturday evening work?"
>Nah man, can't make it. Got another game then
Sunday?
>No I'm working
During the week?
>Oh sure, I can make Wednsday 6pm
>I can't. I can only do Thursday and Friday 11pm to 6am
>Only Mondays 9am to 13pm
>I actually joined another game got no time anymore

YOU FUCKERS SAID YOU'VE GOT FUCKING TIME AND ARE FREE

I banned phones at the table.

Now the player who was the only one with the phone issue just sits on his laptop browsing the internet and says his sheets on his laptop and he can track it better.

So.im going to enforce paper sheets only now. But I wish I didn't have to be like some fucking school teacher.

Yes, exactly that. Like bringing your bear into a tavern. Trying to get it into the tavern cellar. Bringing the bear everywhere without a leash. Lots more than that.

There's a handful of animals that nerds latch onto, and place a great deal of symbolic weight on. These animals are regarded as "meme" animals, because the reverence people show for them resembles the kind of fad-like obsession that people have for internet memes.

Animals that are usually viewed in a romantic light are common objects of this obsession, such as wolves, foxes, lions, bears, eagles, etc. There's also a certain strain of hipster that likes to obsess over "unpopular" animals, like bobbit worms, pistol shrimp and pangolins; animals that are ugly or obscure, and which most people have never heard of. Their obsessions are no less stupid and cringeworthy than the wolf-lovers of course, though they love to claim otherwise.

>That feel when you like doing worldbuilding / setting design and are actually pretty ok at it.
>tfw you're also a shit GM because you can't write individual NPCs with any hint of soul or personality so your cool setting doesn't mean anything
>tfw you're at the point now where you start drafting a setting, then just sit back and wonder "What's the point of it" before just scrapping it.
>tfw you also have no games to take respite in because you're a filthy RPG hipster that doesn't like D&D or Pathfinder.
Just end me senpai.

>retard alert
What you're saying could have been reasonable ("I have a type of game I like to run, so I'd rather play with PCs who enjoy the same sort of campaign") if not for the fact that you stated it like a self-centered moron.

You just need to learn to design on a very small scale. Start with a small village , detail the people who live their, their wants and needs , what conflict the village is currently in , who leads it, what it's quirks are, what it's miltia look like. What produce it creates. Don't worry about it's place in the wider world beyond being very brief. 'This village belongs to Lord so and so of the Kingdom of Zod'

When you come to run the village have the entire party come from that village and weave them into the various threads you've already created.

This is actually much harder than designing in broad brush strokes. It's the little details that bring a setting to life and that the players /reader actually get to see and interact with.

It's the difference between ideas and implementation.

What the fuck? You didn't talk about the schedule first before anything else?

>finish d&d campaign and go onto cyberpunk2020
>PC makes literally the same paladin character except as a rockerboy
>same name and roleplays the same as well
I'm going to do a homebrew Matrix campaign and I'm scared he'll do it again.

As someone who doesn't currently have a job, and would kill to get the job he just described, disgusting, shitty-acting little human maggots included, sometimes that's not an option.

I don't know why, but in my town no-one fucking decides on schedules BEFORE planning games. I't sreally annoying, but people always say shit like "well, I don't know my schedule ahead of time, so let's look at that last" and it's really starting to piss me off so fucking much.

And If I somehow ask people about schedules and such as the first thing, they look at me strange with a "oh , let's not worry about that at this point, let's look at that when we cross that bridge"

Gods, I'm a player in another game, worked an hour or two on this really awesome character (basically a broken down and insane war-machine/robot tank that smashes into the enemy lines like a wrecking-ball) and I'm afraid that game is never gonna happen because of this bullshit, and I also don't want to be THAT GUY that constantly has to ask for plans and schedules and planning (even though....that is sorta the type of guy I am; I want everything to be planned and neat and tidy)