We talk about what we think of other Wargames and their community

I'll start

>Games Played
Infinity, 40k, Armada

>Main Game
Infinity

>40k
Full of min maxers, 8th edition is fun so far. Seems to be too try hard sometimes

>WM/WH
Going the down the shitter, honestly don't know

>Xwing
Tabletop light, fun and fluffy

>Malifaux
Overbearing player base trying to show off the steampunk genre way too much

>Boltaction
"Muh history"

>Infinity
Full of fucking weebs

Am i missing anything?

Discuss

I heard Dust Tactics is pretty cool. It needs a dedicated, segmented board, though

I thought Dust Tactics died? Due to poor sales or something.

>40k
Abusive company with a past they cannot hide under a ton of "we listen to the community now" make up. Excellent plastic BTW.

>WM/WH
Now at their lowest point ever. Expect a comeback next year.

>Xwing
Fantasy Flight showed everyone how to make a succesfull game years ago. Top proffesionals.

>Malifaux
I still cannot understand the "success" of this game. Their 1st edition was totally broken, and they still survive somehow.

>Boltaction
Historic Wargamers play in a totally different league IMHO.

>Infinity
Great miniatures, great design, great visuals. But they have some kind of "gravitational pull" that makes every project delays 2 years.

>Imperial Assault
Fucking way to go. An example of how to make an ejoyable collecting game without becoming stupidly complex or a totally unreachable ghetto geek thing.

>Games Played
Infinity, 40k, WHFB

>Main Game
rip in pieces, transitioning towards Infinity.

>40k
Autists, social cripples, meme spouters and marine players.

>WM/WH
Played by basement dwellers in their basements. Even if they sell these in my country I have never ever met an actual player, thus confirming my theory.

>Xwing
Star Wars fandom. Enough said. Only popular because Star Wars, nobody takes this game seriously.

>Malifaux
Played by literally 4 guys. Designed by Tim Burton.

>Boltaction
"I want to play historical wargames but I don't want to play with WWI veterans."

>Infinity
Rules Lawyers and WAACs: The Glorified Board Game. "I love this game because models are just tokens for dice throwing and I only need to buy and paint like 10", "I switched from 40k because GW kept invalidating my cheese netlist", "I just want models with sexy asses".

Seems almost everyone has the same idea of Malifaux. the confusion of why its popular.

Malifaux is hot, sweaty spheres that might dangle loosely in a bag or sack which looks strangely worn out and is clearly filthy as it is covered in dirt, stains and hair.

It's still unplayable. 40K and Xwing are at the top of my list. I'm about to get into Dropfleet Commander at my LGS, hope it goes well.

Malifaux is my main game.

It's disgustingly complex to learn compared to the average "push up and roll dice at each other" game, but it is easily my favourite game I've played in the last four or five years.

As far as how it survived the imbalanced abortion of 1st/1.5E - no idea - but it's pretty solidly balanced now, and functions excellently as a game.
The big obvious problem for introducing new players to the game is that you MUST treat noobs like noobs, otherwise it is trivial to crush them (to the point that you might do it accidentally just by playing competently).

Also I think it has one of the best model lines going at the moment, but that's a personal opinion bound to start arguments.

Can only talk about my local communities.

>Games Played
Kings of War, Warhammer Fantasy, 9th, Age of Sigmar, Warmahordes

>Main Game
Kings of War

>Warhammer Fantasy
Authism, neither 9th or kow are going to be able to move these guys from their games. They don't care about competition or anything, just that they can play their game.

>9th
Second level authism, they manage to take a step outside of their comfort zone, but they are never going to touch any other game.

>Age of Sigmar
Literally only 3 people in here play it. One has obvious mental problems and the other 2 just want to waste money on minis they pay others to paint. I could never had fun playing so I drop it just after trying the general handbook for second time.

>Warmahordes
Fun community but with a weird look on what is fun. They enjoy games that can end up in one turn because some crazy combos and synergies, and they hate to play escenarios.

>Kings of War
Chill community, most of them are new into wargaming and everything is amazing to them. Slow painters.

I still paly with all these communities when I have time, the only one I don't play with are 40k dudes as they make me cringe (they have a ear cat dude with a collar, and a fat guy whos pants are always trying to get down).

>It's still unplayable.
It's really not. Second edition is really solid, and is about as good as it gets right now. It does take quite a bit to git gud at the game though. Even with a well composed crew the better player will generally win.

Should have said the better player will usually win, regardless of how well composed each sides crew is. This is especially true if one guy is a netlisting newb, and the other is guy knows what he is doing. You can just put models. on the table and make them work, you have to know how to do so.

I heard Dust Tactics went through copyright hell- 3 seperate companies/people hold rights to different parts of the game. FFG, the developer, and some publishing company.

For a 40k equivalent, imagine if GW held the copyright to Rhinos, but Wizkids held the right to Predators.

Ehhhh, I'm not into that sorta weird world Aesthetic nor the lore

I can't get into dropfleet either, the lore and some of the Aesthetics are dull but the standard humans look cool af

>I still cannot understand the "success" of this game. Their 1st edition was totally broken, and they still survive somehow.
It wasn't that bad, just 40k levels of broken.

I think it being card based helped a lot. It added novelty and a lot of interesting mechanics. There's bounded luck, because with a set 54 card servo you can only have so many has results before you get good ones. Cheating a flip is a lot more rewarding than a reroll.

Cool and fun models made for a big draw too.

>Played
Shadow War: Armageddon, Malifaux (1e), Infinity, WM/H, Frostgrave

>Main Game
As of now, Infinity

>Shadow War: Armageddon
40k Light. Needs more support to keep fresh but I like it.

>Malifaux
Dead where I live. Edition change pushed everyone out.

>Infinity
I love this game. Its so deep and fun. I like its modern/future asthtetic. Give me Appleseed and GitS + Werewolves. (Can you tell I play Ariadna)

>WM/H
Dying, but not without a fight. They did the Press Gang dirty and I don't feel any need to buy any more. Also their edition change was garbage and I regret buying the book when I could have just got the App. I am not a fan of PP in its current incarnation.

Another issue. The tables of WM/H looks stupid. I hate mouse pad terrain. It looks bad and has no "Awesome" feel to it. I'll probably be back when they actually bother to make the tables look good.

>Frostgrave
I don't have to buy anything and I get to use any models I want? Count me in. Its a fun "Mordheim" like game. Give it a shot if you haven't.

Why exactly is WM/H dying?

They rushed out MK3 and is effectively forcing everyone to beta test for them. Theme lists are dumb as well. It is still third place behind X-Wing and 40K, but opinion on it has soured.

>Games played
Warhammer 8th, Warhammer 40k 5th-8th, Age of Sigmar, Warmachine and Hordes 2nd edition, Infinity N2 and N3, Wings of Glory, X-wing

>Main game
Infinity as of the moment, but 40k usually. Especially now that my Orks finally got buffed by means of indirect nerfs to other guys.

>40k
Has the most diverse and populous playerbase. You find plenty of WAAC Netlisting spergs and chill hobbiests who crack open a beer. I've played against 65 year olds and 13 year olds. Overall I didn't like the more expensive and alienating power gaming shift that creeped up since Imperial Knights but arguably since the dreadknight and am glad they turned a new leaf with 8th, however it still feels rather bloated and clunky. Balance has about always been unfairly off between factions and inside the codex. I do love its diverse universe though, really does have room for everything. Overall they seemed to be based around making you start an army rather than maintain one.

>WM/H
Haven't played since 2nd edition and what I usually saw were players who either have a fully and extremely beautifully painted army or like completely awful 3 color minimum or barely primed/assembled units cobbled together to make a list. No in between. I like the game well enough, I generally prefer skirmishes, but the balance seems to be hinged around everyone having access to an OP combo rather. Models are nice, although some are rather ugly. Monopose mostly sucks. Don't like the use of cards.

>X-wing
I still kind of think of it as the new kid on the block even though it's been popular for years, kind of resent how fast it grew because of the Star Wars brand. I think it's solid as a game, but it's simply not my thing as I don't like fleet and ship battles all that much.

>Malifaux
I don't like it, it's got too many clashing styles, and I don't like its mechanics with its cards. Overall it's just one player trying to push it upon other people but failing. I think he's a legit play tester
(mtc)

I'm falling back into WFB... I'm interested in T9A. But need to find a group that is running it. Just recently got into KoW..

New edition was garbage, they obviously did not do a complete play test.

There were things broken (not OP, just not working as intended, see knocked down and gang. Stupid). The constant editing of cards & rules makes buying anything other than digital copies of things a waste of money.

I want to be able to play with a final edition of the rules.

Also still... MOUSE PAD TERRAIN SUCKS.

>Haven't played since 2nd edition and what I usually saw were players who either have a fully and extremely beautifully painted army or like completely awful 3 color minimum or barely primed/assembled units cobbled together to make a list. No in between.

That is the whole spectrum:
Beutiful > Painted > Primed > Assembled

I played it for the game over the modeling, but I did my best to make sure everything was distinguishable. Three Colours & wash for infantry (I still shudder every time I think about painting steel heads).

the three are good games but because of different reasons. Good luck with finding communities and having fun.

From what I've gathered, it's popular because it's smaller scale (you can get started more easily), people find the lack of dice interesting, and I guess its aesthetic is different from most of the big wargames out there.

>Bolt Action
They mostly do their own thing and keep to themselves. I don't bother them and they don't bother me. It's the most popular wargame I'm least familiar with.

>Infinity
Has the best looking humans of the popular "28mm" scale wargames. Overall the factions feel rather balanced against each other, mostly hinging on the fact that just about everybody can field close to everything and have roughly the same baseline guns, with enough room for flair and flavor to keep thing interesting. The game itself has a bit of a learning curve but it really feels more about a game of where your actions matter over the units you take, less like an equipment and dice check than other popular wargames. Games can feel like a skewed battle really quick, but it's hard to blame it on the mere factions both of you are playing.

>WHFB
Mixed feelings, I liked it well enough in 8th, although it felt like it had plenty of similar problems to 40k it was usually a bit more casual. Sadly though, the end times and Age of Sigmar really fractured the playerbase to non-existence between people defending AoS and people doing "ninth age," Kings of War, or some other homebrew system.

>Age of Sigmar
Hard to take seriously, although I think Stormcasts are over-hated

>Dust Tactics, Dropzone Commander, Drop Fleet commander...

exist but I don't care enough to comment

>Guildball
some guy who helped design it keeps trying to push it locally but I never got into it.

Played this at Origins. It's pretty slick, though it definitely needs a dedicated board all to itself. Luckily, the starter packs come with a board and some terrain mods, so if you buy two you get enough board space to play the game with no issues.

It's a little unbalanced, in that one of the starter factions is fucking worthless (the Luftwaffe) and the Spetznaz are pretty much deathmachines on feet.

>Am i missing anything?
>BattleTech
Completely forgotten about, apparently.

Gotta keep in mind when I say three colors, I mean "primer, and two random colors like red and green splotched around" not even the common courtesy of actual base coating or washing.

Whole point was that I never saw a middle ground painted army for WM/H (even among 20+ player tournaments). It was either display quality or barely assembled.

Because their community consisted of mostly competitive players and they gave birth to an edition 7 months early. WAAC Bane-Cryx players left because they weren't kings anymore and the community shifted toward shitty looking practical terrain thanks to the flat cardboard cutouts that came with the starter boxes. Now the game is boring to look at which makes bringing new players in rather difficult.

>>Games Played
40k, Malifaux, X-wing

k
Players with more money then sense, myself included. Next to Magic, probably the worst playerbase.

>>Waramahordes
Bad system is bad. Players get to put on their big boy pants and pretend to be better than 40k players.

>>Xwing
Fun beer and pretzels game. Players who take it seriously and think it's an actual war game are a joke.

>>Malifaux
More modelers and painters than players. Generally cool, except for the hand full of creepy players who like zombie hookers a little too much.

>>Historic Wargames
Bro history buffs, if a little pretentious/pedantic. Mostly older guys, and military vets. A dying breed.

>>Infinity
Space furries.

>WHFB/9thAge
Gorgnards, who are holding onto a shit ruleset.

>Kings of War
Guys who moved on from Warhams, usually before AoS. Sorta like less anally retentive historical war gamers.

>Age of Sigmar
Literallyfiguratively who?

Ahh cool. That sucks on your end. When I was in the tourney scene where I live there were some amazing paint jobs but mostly get on the table quality. More than primer at least lol.

>>BattleTech
Smallest game to have a consistent general thread up on Veeky Forums
I don't know whether that's a good thing or not.

Tournament players killed WM/H to me.

This. I honestly like the wild fantasy aesthetic and the crazy rules that involve you chucking your own guys around. That said the lack of actual terrain really kills it for me. Everyone just uses felt cutouts and it looks terrible. It goes against the spirit of playing miniatures games IMO. Malifaux is similar mechanically, but has a community with good enough taste to use actual terrain, so it really does scratch my itch.

I wish I had the dosh to play it when it was a clix game.

I loved Malifaux for its terrain useage. Now I love Infinity for a similar reason.

The reason to play a wargame is the awesome tables. If you want to play with cardboard cut outs laid flat its just lazy. Get a shoe box and spray paint it or something. Or at least if you do use felt/mousepad make it 3d and add some trees that you can move.

>Now I love Infinity for a similar reason.
I have to say the same. Infinity really loves and really utilizes terrain. With Malifaux it is possible to use cutouts as with Warmachine, but Infinity really makes things interesting by putting an emphasis on elevation, narrow firing lanes, and climbing around. Sure it requires more set up, but it is more than worth it.

Agreed. I don't really like the Infinity rules, but tables are generally great.

I've probably x3-5 times as much on terrain as actual models for Malifaux.

Really? I think the drop universe lore is pretty great. I play Resistance, and Scourge in Dropfleet.

>With Malifaux it is possible to use cutouts as with Warmachine, but Infinity really makes things interesting by putting an emphasis on elevation, narrow firing lanes, and climbing around.
That's as much a thing in Malifaux, if not more. Using terrain and establishing/disrupting firing lanes is incredibly important.

> MFW I recently felt like playing WM/H again recently
> Community is ded so I'm cooking up a 'uge campaign to play with friends
> Gonna make LOADS of terrain because I want it to be thematic and immersive af
I know grognards think too much terrain makes playing more difficult, but why buy miniatures if you aren't in it for the look and feel of a skirmish taking place at a 30mm scale?.

Definitely. But elevation is not really a thing with Malifaux. You aren't going to be climbing up places to get a clear shot, especially as blocking terrain RAW doesn't let you stand on top of it. The elevation and LOS rules are not really made with multiple levels of elevation in mind as in Infinity. Same with basic things like climbing. As your movement is halved when going up ladders, which is further inhibited by the action point economy, there often isn't a huge incentive to get high. What is emphasized is actual terrain density. The game designers have made many a thread encouraging people at have a lot of terrain with a lot of variety to keep the game balanced.

Doing god's work user. I can really see where you are coming from. Warmahordes does have tons of fun and dumb scenarios, as well as a campaign system. All are ignored sadly in favor of tournament style games, which is more of the community's fault rather than the developers.

>Games played
WM/H, 40k, AoS, Guildball, Malifaux, DzC, DfC

>Main game
Guildball recently, 40k past

>WM/H
Slowly dying in my area. They really fucked the Pressgangers, and the boards just look kinda lame.

>X-Wing
Haven't played it, but it looks like fun, lotta stuff you've gotta carry though.

>Guild Ball
Lotta fun. Models are great, and I've made enough terrian for my local scene to not have the 2d stuff. Players in my group are passionate about the fluff, and have their own team pitches. There is definitely some Imbalance, but every team is usable.

>40k
Cautiously hopeful about 8th. Players are either turbo competitive auts, or casual relaxed.

>Drop games
Me and about 5 other guys play in the area, couldn't be happier. Met the creator at Gen-Con, he's a really nice guy.

>They really fucked the Pressgangers,
What exactly did they do to those guys? I heard that something changed with the program.

Have never understood people who hate terrain in wargames. Terrain is literally one of the most important variables in warfare, why would you want a pit of death on the middle of the table?

Good thing the community I have started in the local store are learning from using terrain and adapting their armys for different escenarios.

kow player.

Thing is that BattleTech was once the king of its castle, ruling the hex and chit market like a god-pharaoh from a gilded throne. It's fallen off pretty hard these days, though it is slowly making a big /v/ comeback with MWO, HBS's BattleTech, and Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries. I think we'll see revitalized interest in the core property itself in coming years as the new games generate new blood for the mill.

Also, as a frequent posted in /btg/, I can also say that we get new players pretty frequently. Every thread or two we get someone asking about how to get into the game and all that. It's pretty good to see.

>You aren't going to be climbing up places to get a clear shot,
Yes you are. A major part of my last game was dealing with a sniper on top of a water tower.
>especially as blocking terrain RAW doesn't let you stand on top of it
RAW it does if you can climb it.
>As your movement is halved when going up ladders, which is further inhibited by the action point economy, there often isn't a huge incentive to get high
Yes there is, with how limiting field of view and cover are there's a huge incentive to get higher. The risk comes with once you're high other models can cause you to fall, or you might be out of position for objectives.

Action point economy is another subject entirely. And the main reason I like Malifaux over Infinity.

Part of Battletech's problem is Cataclysm and their (mis)management, another part is the fact the rights for various aspects are owned by a multitude of companies.
The biggest issue though is it's still a game from the 80s with all the hard-core crunch that goes with it. I've met many people that are interested in trying it, but as soon as they see all the steps involved in doing something like firing an LRM, their eyes glaze and they lose interest.

Oh, and those who like Battletech are typically the nastiest, stinkiest, and most unwashed sacks of shit in a human shell I've ever seen.

Yeah but having a sniper stand on top of something may be one or two models that have used From the Shadows to get up there, as opposed to Infinity where much more models are going to be getting higher. It's not like Infinity where vertical movement is 1-1, having four levels of elevation is mandatory, and even basic rifles can shoot from one end of the table to another, leading a much higher portion of your team to be climbing around.

Malifaux's own height and LoS rules aren't conductive to it either. Models draw their range from base to base, even if one model is standing above another one. So if a Ht 2 model only has a range of 2 on a melee weapon, it can only reach up to its head, and would be unable to hit a model 3 inches above it. Inversely a model three inches above it will measure distance from its feet to the model below it, allowing it to engage the lower model with no threat of retaliation. This is as opposed to Infinity where every single model is a cylinder rather than a base, and can aim and be hit much more naturally.

>So if a Ht 2 model only has a range of 2 on a melee weapon, it can only reach up to its head
I've never met anyone that actually played that way.

As a guy who started on RPGs it always came weird to me that wargame people always stuck so heavily to the game's prepackaged lore since most of the fun in RPGs was making your own lore.
And I know about "your dudes" but I mean making lore in a deeper level.

That is how it is written. If you want to homebrew something then fine, but Malifaux isn't built for vertical engagement like Infinity.

A lot of people like buying models for the universe that they are set in. There is a bit of making your own lore with your dudes and custom campaigns/leagues, but you are right that things are generally prepackaged.

>Games played
Infinity, Shadow War Armageddon. Thats it, what do i look like im made of time and money?

>Main game
Both. Cant really decide, i love them both so.

>40k
Appeals to all ages, noob kids, min maxing neckbeards and old ww2 enthusiasts, fan base getting boosted all the time by the video games aspect. It is basically OUR game.

>Infinity
Havent really had too much exp, with it, but it seems that most of the guys that play it at my FLGS are of the neckbeard veriety. I would tend to agree that theres some weeabo in there, but our gaming group is so small and tight knit most of us are doing double duty when we need to. As for myself the only animae i watch is Naruto and Death note.

It seems like most games other than the Warhammers don't even have the "your dudes" part available, with mandatory use of named character commanders and so on. As a potentially interested outsider it makes me sad looking at my options.

>"we listen to the community"
not after they took down the list builder

Eh. I use multistory terrain and haven't had any problems so far.

That's not necessarily true. Infinity lets you use generic characters as lieutenants rather than named characters. Kings of War is pretty much Your Dudes: The Game. The only real downside is that kitbashing can be a lot harder, so visually customizing dudes beyond just using proxies is going to be more difficult.

I do the same. It is just that you aren't going to have a lot of models climbing several stories like in Mordheim or Infinity or whatever. I would like to see them add that as an option some time in the future though, so models can jump from rooftop to rooftop.

>so models can jump from rooftop to rooftop.
That would be swank.
More models with whatever the arachnid climbing bonus would be cool to.

>Games Played
40k, X-wing, Infinity

>Main Game

>40k
Generally good folks save for the two or three douche bags at every scene. More interested in cool models, collecting and painting than the game itself most of the time.

>WM/WH
Obsessive need to say they're better than 40k. Apparently falling apart now though.

>Xwing
I somehow knew the rules better than anyone else in my local scene, which was annoying. Otherwise, mostly people wanting to recreate movie battles and such.

>Malifaux
Tim Burton fans

>Boltaction
Flames of war is actually the more popular historical in my area, so don't really know

>Infinity
Weebs and rules obsessed people who are almost as bad as Warmahordes players at needing to prove they're better than 40k. Also, think too highly of their models.

>Infinity lets you use generic characters as lieutenants rather than named characters.
Doesn't have a super borked action economy though, like cheap units are literally action batteries so your big heroes can act more often?

>games played: 40k 4/8th edition, whfb 6th ed, warmahordes, Infinity N3, malifaux, x wing, blood bowl, heavy gear blitz, MERCS, Uncharted Seas, Flames of War.

>gamers I dislike
Flames of war
Current warmahorde crowd
People that left 8thed 40k because it wasn't 7th like

>Community that I like
Star wars game crowd
bloodbowl
Malifaux

>players are fine but I hate the game
Infinity
Heavy gear
Anything by Spartan.

Fight me

>players are fine but I hate the game
These are honestly kind of rare. Few people seem to accept that someone doesn't love their chosen game. Applies to RPGs too.

That artstyle seems really familiar, who's the artist?

You know iqdb reverse image search is built into the site, right? Just click on the arrow next to post numbers.

I can't argue there. Especially hating games made by Spartan. That company really needs to get their shit sorted out.

Their models are usually pretty great. I really wish they could get their shit together.

I'm a retard.

>Games Played
X-wing, 40k, Bolt Action, dabbling a little in Kings of War

>40k
Was the king for a long time, got shitty for a couple editions, allowing alternatives to grow. Now that 8th ed is out, seems to be quickly becoming king again. Mostly populated by relatively normal people, working adults with families, though some weird autists sneak in when they graduate from MtG.

>Kings of War
Fun, solid game, but in reality we all know it only has a player base because of WHFB's death. Still has a decent following, and they're fun to play with if you can get them to stfu about WHFB for 5 minutes.

>X-wing
Great fun game, very popular and deservedly so. Diverse player base, too, everyone likes Star Wars, right?

>Malifaux/Infinity
Oh, those are the games those weird smelly kids with the top hats play in the corner sometimes, right? I can't tell you if they're fun or not, their fans make me not want to approach it.

>Bolt Action
40k for history buffs, but don't tell them that. Mainly populated by old grognards, there's a solid belief among them that they are superior to people who don't play historicals, but they're honestly just the same shit but with olive drab. It's a fun game, and I enjoy playing it, but I don't fool myself into believing that its rules are that much different from the big names, because they aren't. Like I said, essentially just 40k for history buffs.

>Warmahordes
I'll never forget the first time I saw two people playing this in our LGS. My first thought was, "Wow, that is the most pathetic looking game of 40k I've ever seen."
Received the lion's share of 40k refugees when it went to shit for a few editions under Kirby. It's a cheap knockoff of 40k, hence its nickname in our store, "Poorhammer." Never played it myself, because the models all look like trash and the lore is horribly dull, everything about it is clearly just a shitty 40k rip-off, and now it appears to be dying in favor of 40k again. Good riddance, I say.

Megamek is pretty fun.

Same... Bought a bunch of planetfall minis, they're gorgeous but their ADHD had them go LOLZ HALO we make fleet games and 15mm ground combat. Shit son, when has it ever been a good idea to compete with yourself in such a niche market.

>>Warmahordes
>It's a cheap knockoff of 40k
Is this a meme or something? it plays absolutely nothing like 40k.
> Never played it myself
Oh, I get it you just repeat what others tell you and join bandwagons.

Not talking about how it plays, I'm talking about the models and the lore. I purposely didn't comment on how it plays because I haven't played it.

>Warmahordes

I never played Warmahordes.. Is it two separate franchises or one? One game store I went to, nobody played it but yet every game store in the Seattle area sells this game and promotes the shit out of it.

The models and lore are very different though. You have wacky steampunk stuff in a high fantasy setting as opposed to grim gothic stuff in a sci-fi setting.

It is essentially the two games, but the factions are split into two groups. The Hordes factions use giant monsters called Warbeasts, whereas the Warmachine factions use giant robots called Warjacks to fight. The games are wholly cross compatible, there are just small differences in play.

Warmachine/Hordes are exactly as much a knockoff of 40k as 40k is of Lord of the Rings. It's a fantasy game with some magical technology.

The 40k cool-aid runs deep in terms of how much you can see the cultural impact in open mindedness in players who only play GW products, vs multiple games (which may include GW ones).

Not really. It's pretty clearly just lower quality dreadnoughts doing battle in a "this totally isn't 40k, we promise" universe.
Lol, I do play other games, but you're lying to yourself if you don't think Warmahordes was specifically designed to appeal to 40k players and capitalize on the bad years for 40k.

Dreadnaughts? Where are dreadnaughts in WM/H? There is one guy who is in a Jack. The rest are robots.

Is it because you think 40k has a monopoly on big stompy robots?

Go be ignorant somewhere else.

at tis point you're either baiting or just too stupid to know when you're wrong. Either way, further replies won't be necessary.

Second edition is excellent. Very well balanced and fun to play on both competetive and casual level.

Plus, the models are excellent. Cool design from a company thats not afraid of experimentation and humor

>so many Infinity maingamers
lolwut

did someone let Poland into the thread again

SG made exactly one good game and that was Dystopian Legions 2e

>Games I play
40k, Bolt Action, Malifaux, AoS

>Used to play
Warzone Ressurection

>40k
Here it's generally a sweet community of very diverse individuals. We have a few tryhards and WAACfags, but generally I'm happy for the community.

>Malifaux
Really cool little community of players. Mostly older folks, more women than usual in wargaming.

>Bolt Action
I'm not very fond of history nazis who will pester you about wrong markings on a tank and wrong shade of feldgrau, but generally cool community enjoying a solid game

>AoS
I only play that ocassionaly with a few friends, so cant tell

>WM/H
From what I have seen. Bunch of super tryhards and WAACfags who only play netlists

>9th
Arrogant, WAAC players who seem to think they are above everybody else because they made up their own game

>X-wing

Casually the game is cool, but the people who play here are all very serious and competitive. So the game is a netlistfest

>The reason to play a wargame is the awesome tables. If you want to play with cardboard cut outs laid flat its just lazy. Get a shoe box and spray paint it or something. Or at least if you do use felt/mousepad make it 3d and add some trees that you can move.

Agreed in full, I don't understand why you wouldn't just play one of the many excellent games like Conflict of Heroes if you wanted a game with good rules and didn't care about aesthetics. I guess people might be into their models without being into terrain, but that's a lot like being into paintings with no frames.

>Lotta fun. Models are great, and I've made enough terrian for my local scene to not have the 2d stuff. Players in my group are passionate about the fluff, and have their own team pitches. There is definitely some Imbalance, but every team is usable.

Tell me about this game. I know I can look it up, but you never find any real informative views on what's good or bad about a game, just sperging about it's near-perfect or people shitting on something for no reason.

>Games Played

40k, Shadow War, Bolt Action, X-Wing, Armada, Frostgrave, Infinity, Warmachine/Hordes, One Page Rules (assorted)

>Main Game
Armada

>40k
Basic bitch game but good fun with friends. Terrified to play with randoms desu

>Shadow War
A great side attraction, I hope it survives the release of 8th edition overshadowing it.

>Bolt Action
40K with camo. Some of the rules are way too complex (buildings!) for no gain, and I don't like the way vehicles interact with infantry, but it's still a fun game.

>WM/WH
A fun game, overexpanded into oblivion.Wildly expensive for what you get in return. Also one of the worst games for idle time between turns as the rules bloated and armies got bigger.

>Xwing
Babby's first gaem, but a good one. It's starting to crack a under it's own success as FFG constantly cransk out content for a game with rather limited design space, but at least recently FFG is willing to errata things that need it. Also has the Heroes of the Aturi Cluster campaign was real fun.

>Armada
This is a really good game and the recent aggressive errata/FAQ have made it even better. I wish the entry point wasn't so high, and that it was easier to draw in new players. But the long games and kinda crappy starter box mean it'll never be that popular, especially when X-Wing exists.

>Frostgrave
The game itself is... suspect. But I have to admit I really got into the setting and me and some friends had a great time with our campaign. The customization of wizards is ripe for abuse, but a lot of fun to progress through.

>Malifaux
I really wish this game didn't exist. I can't stand the look of it.

>Infinity
Models are technically well-executed but I think a lot of them look unappealing. The game itself is pretty good.

I've only recently gotten into wargaming so this is only based on what I've seen from my local stores

>wm/wh
Only group I regularly see fielding a complete unpainted army.
When I asked about the game they agreed it was in a rough spot and gave me some online resources to look into if I felt like playing

>xwing
At my store this has the biggest age range of all the war games besides 40k.
I mainly wanted to get into the hobby to start painting so I didn't talk to about them much. Overall pretty good people

>bolt action
There's only 4 guys at my store that I've seen play it, they're all in their 40s and keep to themselves. They bring in their kids sometimes and the kids play 40k and magic.

>infinity
They are on a different night then when I go but I've seen some of the boards they have setup and I love the verticality

>40k/aos
When I asked $100 (the store credit I had) would be enough to see if I enjoyed the game and see if I liked it they said I wouldn't have anywhere near a full army.
They're also the worst about putting away their terrain

>malifaux
I asked them about the game and several of them offered to show me how to play with a practice game and they offered to let me use their crews so I could figure out what I liked before I put anymore money into it

I'm quite surprised by the negative attitude towards Malifaux here

>"bro you got the German grey color wrong"

Seriously, nicest gamers I've met

So, GB is a game about take outs, and goals. 12 points wins, 2 points per take out, 4 points per goal. You have a captain, a mascot, and 4 models of your choice. Teams are balanced well, however, teams that can score quickly (fish, alch) are dominating right now. However again, every team is able to win through a compitent player. I don't like how the play testing is done by one dude for a team, as it doesn't give views on what problems the team could have. Hunters are proof of this. I LOVE how passionate the guy who made the game is, and every model is characterful as hell. The new teams are in plastic, and 50$ for a full team is a pretty solid price.

People perceive the game through its more superficial parts. Namely the funky setting and aesthetic, which aren't for everyone. At its core the game is really solid, tightly designed, well balanced, and most importantly, fun and engaging to play. And as was pointed out, the community is made up of some really polite people. Also a surprisingly large amount of women are into the game (For a miniatures game at least), which may be due to most of Wyrd's staff being women among other things.

I have no ill will towards the players, or even the game itself. Its just I find it's ugly, and I wish people playing it were playing stuff I liked instead.

$50 for a playable team is a compelling point. The play testing sounds... very bad. Looking through the models, I have to say I don't like many of them but I do like the Hunters, which are the only team you mentioned.

Also, their website is pretty good, rare with these minis games.

There's some iffy models but I love most of them

>Warhammer (x)
Autistic regardless of setting. Sadly the game(s) I play the most. 40k has the standard variety garden nerds, who rarely wash and vary on the spectrum. I find that it's the Fantasy/AoS players that are the most hardcore 40k fanboys and apologists. Warhammer Ancients players are the unholy blend of warhams autists and history nerds, giving an insufferable blend of conversations you'd never care about with shit that (1)happened over a millennia ago and (2)all of 20 people in the entire city know happened.

>Flames of War
Sadly a lot of the Ancients players mentioned above fall into this category. Seems to be following GW's lead of 'make the new version simpler to the point of offending the playerbase's intelligence'. Becoming a cashgrab game (Command Cards with options that'd be mindnumbingly easy to put in the intelligence handbook. For the low low price of $4.50 USD!)

>Warmachine/Hordes
Jesus christ how they manage to clothe themselves in the morning astounds me. Basement dwellers and furries. Haven't played it so all I know is what I see out of the playerbase.

>Bolt Action
Armies feel the same, getting anything shipped to a store requires an act of god. Nice quality models.

>X-Wing
Solid game, decent models. At least in my store it's very netlisty.

>Armada
The 'Antz' to X-Wing's 'Bug's Life'. Pass.

>Battletech
I'm the only player in my city, and it's a nice system. If you love tables, charts and crunch. I don't think it could be simplified without feeling like a saturday morning cartoon version of the current system.

>Games Played
Infinity, Malifaux, Guild Ball, WMH, Armada, KDM

>Main Game
Infinity, KDM

>40k
Retards

>AoS
Turboretards

>WMH, XWing, GB
Screwing themselves with latest edition/wave

>Malifaux
Incredibly complicated, so much so that it sometimes isn't very fun.

>Infinity, KDM
Patrician as fuck

Isn't KDM more of a boardgame than a wargame though?

Only the ones complaining about Infinity players being waac