astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/ thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

dmsguild.com/product/172545/DMs-Kit-On-the-Trail-of-Tyranny
giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?379165-MM-Resistances-Immunities-Vulnerabilities-and-Damage
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html
github.com/astranauta/astranauta.github.io
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That makes sense, and it's also more interesting than just attacking head on. Thanks.

>All the candidates for artificer mechanical servants with enough INT to activate infused spells don't have the CON to make double concentration spells worth it
Zounds, foiled again.

Well played kobolds are cunning cowards. I really like your setting. From Volo's Guide we know that kobolds accept their place as minions. Therefore being pushed by a dragon who they respect as some kind of demi-god to attack the goblin tribe would ultimately put the kobolds in a classical aversion-aversion conflict.

Depending on the urgency of the dragon, they will have to improvise their cunning tactics and have to rely on traps which are shoddy even compared to kobold standards.

How does grappling work with a 2-handed weapon?
Can you grapple while wielding a greatsword, can you then attack the grappled target? what if you grapple someone with a great weapon?

You need a free hand to grapple so, while you can hold the 2h weapon, you can't wield it to attack.

Someone that is being grappled has no inherent penalty to using their equipment (which is why you combo grapple with shove prone).

I could imagine it working you standing behind someone, you move your axe around them in one hand and grab it with the other and choke them out with the weapon or something. Not sure about what it says in RAW

Not really 5e related, however, a player of my group will bring her boyfriend to the next session tomorrow. I know him a bit, we already drank some beer on a LARP so I'm pretty sure he does not only join because of her. Unfortunately, both are on a trip in iceland and I couldn' talk to them beforehand.

Their characters will most likely not be together at the beginning, because her character is already tightly settled within the campaign. But I would expect and wouldn't mind that they will find each other within the game as well.

Should I try to incorporate their relationship within the plot or should I "ignore" it and let them do their thing. What would you prefer?

I just want to know whether I should prepare some ideas or not. Nonetheless, I will try to talk to them before we start playing but I bad at complete improvising.

Any chance anyone here might have purchased

dmsguild.com/product/172545/DMs-Kit-On-the-Trail-of-Tyranny

and would want to share?

Either talk it over with them or let them do their own thing. Just because the've got a relationship irl doesn't mean their characters will. It'd probably be super annoying for the other players if that actually was the case.

Is it me that's lacking sources or are there no 2 con 1 cha races?

> not sure what class to play next
It'll be expedition campaign, so ranger or druid is a given... but there are stuff I want to try with warlock or cleric too...

Why not variant human

None, if your DM allows Variant Human then you can get +1 CON and +1 CHA. Then choose your free feat to be one with +1 CON.

Well, that won't be that much of a problem since we have another couple at the table and my wife is playing as well. Okay, the couple is playing rival thieves. Therefore I won't prohibit if they decide playing as couple. They are old enough to not be annoying if they decide playing as couple.

But I will talk to them beforehand what they have in mind. Thanks

Didn't think of that, but it works, thanks.

Actually, it's not the case. As it stands, they found a dragon egg and now that the players need to reach a temple by a lake controlled by fey that is beyond goblin territory, the kobolds want to take advantage of the situation and go there to see if they could bless the egg or some such, I'm still thinking of that part.
But since the players only know about the egg, I could also implement what you say about the dragon, I like it.

Dude, it's $2.99. Just buy the damn thing yourself you cheap-ass faggot.

And I really like the idea of giving a dragon egg to the PCs and have opposing parties being interested in it.

If kobolds worship dragons as godlike creatures it is very likely, that they will venerate dragon eggs as sacral.

$3 is 10,5 liras for me. I am not spending 10 liras on a PDF when I could eat 1 meal with that money.

>pick wizard
>hack your way through the campaign with magics
why is this acceptable

Because Clerics and Druids can do the exact same thing.

Dude I'm poor as fuck and I can still afford $2.99 for myself. The PDF isn't going anywhere, just spend like 2 liras less per paycheck for the next five paychecks and you're set.

Also - Turkish?

A DM that lets a wizard (or any spellcaster) do this is...I'm not going to say "bad", but I will say "boring".

The campaign world is a big place with a lot of stuff going on. Not everything in it is going to happen at a time that is convenient for you.

I see Feral Teifling replaces the ASI. Could I be both Feral and also another Variant, such as Winged or Tongue?

>I don't want the book

Ok.

Consider the following-
You buy a meal and you're hungry again in a few hours.
A book lasts indefinitely.

>I see Feral Teifling replaces the ASI. Could I be both Feral and also another Variant, such as Winged or Tongue?
Yes you can be a Feral Winged Tiefling, but you can't combine Winged and Tongue for example.

The SCAG specifically (and until this moment I thought clearly) states that Devil's Tongue, Winged, and Hellfire are mutually exclusive (probably because they all replace the same feature). Feral is not Devil's Tongue, Winged, or Hellfire.

So, yes, you can be a Feral Winged tiefling or the like.

Just checking there want a "you can only have one Variant per character" rule.

How much damages does a falling boulder do? If I drop a 100lb rock on a dude from 60ft up? If it's a 400lb rock?

>The SCAG specifically (and until this moment I thought clearly) states that Devil's Tongue, Winged, and Hellfire are mutually exclusive (probably because they all replace the same feature). Feral is not Devil's Tongue, Winged, or Hellfire.
>So, yes, you can be a Feral Winged tiefling or the like.
Feral Winged tiefling is also a notorious powergamer race :P

It's a hazard so it scales with level.

>Feral Winged tiefling is also a notorious powergamer race :P
They make fun as heck Rogues though :3

Yeah I'm mainly looking at it because the other abilites aren't as good for a WIS caster (considering Teifling Ranger)

Yeah, it's a very good race choice. Just be warned that your DM might not be ok with it if you're in a low-op party (or if you're a That Guy).

Guys, help me out here.

I want to take 5 levels of warlock (pact magic slots are 3rd level), and then take one level of sorcerer.

This allows me to pick haste as a spell, right?

Sorcerer's spellcasting feature says you can learn a spell as long as you have a slot of the level required to cast it.

There's a few ways to determine this, but I find the simplest is to just look at the Giants in the MM and pick out a giant you think can throw the rock of the size you want. Most of them seem to be 4d10, but Storm giants are instead 4d12.

So probably 4d10, then add falling damage (1d6 per 10 feet to a max of 20d6, so in your case of 60 ft., 6d6).

4d10+6d6 is an average of 43 damage, which might not sound like much, but remember that:

1) D&D is not a real life simulator;
2) D&D characters are basically superhuman;
3) 43 damage is enough to outright kill most of the NPCs in the Monster Manual, as well as a giant boar, and critically injure an elephant.

No.

When determining spells known for a spellcaster class you only use the levels you have in that class, so your sorcerer spell list would be those of a 1st level sorcerer.

And $3 is three meals to someone that cooks for themselves. What's your point, that recreational shit sometimes costs money, and so does food?

Can you direct me to where the book, errata, or sage advice says this?

I'm not seeing it.

Page 164 of the players handbook, the section on multiclassing rules has specific rules for spell slots and spells known.

Thanks.

Would you let a player choose a Hobgoblin that uses the Goblin stats (except Medium)?

I have a Hobgoblin character in mind but their stats (except the aim boost) are simply no good for them.

Thinking more on it I realised the "time where a spellcaster can't do something" is when they run out of spellslots.
I've never seen this happen however. Conveniently any time a boss encounter happens the spellcasters had a long rest first.

That sounds wicked bueno, and I look forward to flying and dropping boulders on people.

I'd just fluff it as an abnormally small hobgoblin

I had a wizard break down in an actual screaming tantrum because I had them fight a group of Rakshasa, which is you aren't already aware have spell resistance. The wizard thought this was bullshit I was making up.

That sounds fun.

Don't forget that Rakshasas respawn after they are killed and will/should come after the PCs with a vengeance.

what weapon should i choose for my revised kensai monk and how do i fluff it?

i was thinking longsword as a katana but i don't know if the title is already taken by another weapon.

anyway can i use it 2handed thanks to the versatile property and still get off my free unarmed strikes using my hooves [/spoilers] without any drawback aside for not being able to deflect arrows?

It was one of my regular players coworkers who asked to join a one shot we were running while some of the other players were out of town, the whole thing got really awkward after that. I don't really get what his deal was.

Are the roll20 tokens for curse of strahd in the mega?

I'm pretty sure by RAW you can just take a hand off of your weapon to make unarmed strikes/catch arrows

>Conveniently any time a boss encounter happens the spellcasters had a long rest first.

That is, in my opinion, an example of the Dungeon Master doing things wrong.

I'm not saying that the DM should have major encounters happen every time that the wizard is out of spell slots while laughing maniacally or something. Just that random encounters and interrupted rests and attempts at stealing gear (possibly including spellbooks or spell component pouches) are things that can and should happen every now and again.

I also have a policy of ensuring that boss fights only happen when the player characters have already expended at least a few of their resources. A boss fight should happen when it's most convenient for the boss, not the party.

REEEEE MY CHARACTER SHOULD BE ABLE TO ONE-SHOT ANY MONSTER I WANT

Aw man, I would have loved to see that.

REEEE WHAT DO YOU MEAN RAKSHASA ARE IMMUNE TO SPELLS BELOW 6TH LEVEL HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO MAGIC MISSILE THIS TO DEATH

>A Nilbog mixed with a Rakasha's stat block and spell resistance

How much would my players hate me if I unleashed this on them?

You just made Mr. Mxylptlk, he would be a fun random encounter enemy if he's basically impossible to fight but just wants you to do entertaining one off quests for him.

I am totally doing this

Yeah that sounds like how an adventure should go.

I don't think you need a free hand for unarmed attacks anyway, they can always be kicks or headbutts.

>Lizardman Beastmaster with a Crab pet
Y/N?

As long as you command it with 'crab battle' it's a yes.

Who should my GOOlock worship? I'm leaning towards Hadar, Azathoth, Nyarlathotep, or Ghaunadar.
Hadar I like because of Arms of Hadar and Hunger of Hadar.
Azathoth and Nyarlathotep are because I love H. P. Lovecraft and know a lot about them.
Ghaunadar because I like his worship guidelines, but sacrifices wouldn't fit well with a good aligned group so I'll be burning my hand a lot.

You don't need you hand free to deflect missile (it work on all weapon ranged attack btw, including rock,gun and goblin bullet), you only need them if you want to catch it and throw it back.

thanks.

i am having other doubts about the monk...

>FLURRY OF BLOWS
>Immediately after you take the Attack action on yourturn, you can spend I ki point to make two unarmedstrikes as a bonus action.

can i make a ranged attack, move, do an unarmed strike, move then the last unarmed strike of the flurry of blows?

IT BROKE MY KNIFE

Maybe I'll continue the meme train and name him Citizen Snips

Yes.

If you get Mobile you can even do "decent" damage via Sharpshooter by
>Shoot
>Shoot
>Run in and kick
>Back up again

Anyone have that link to creatures with resistances totaled?

Trying to decide on GFB or BoomBlade, leaning to BoomBlade because there isn't anything immune to it I can think of.

wow awesome, thanks

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?379165-MM-Resistances-Immunities-Vulnerabilities-and-Damage

Booming Blade works great in conjunction with Warcaster because you can use your opportunity attacks on it and they'll have to take the thunder damage.

Shit, I might too. Hang on...

How important would you say Mounted Combatant is for a Beast Ranger using their pet as a mount?

On one hand beast pets are more durable than other mounts but on the other they aren't THAT much stronger.

Not absolutely necessary, though the the half damage from AOE attacks helps. Unless your DM lets you use large creatures as the companion you're not going to be getting much mileage on the advantage against creatures smaller than your mount anyway.

>astranauta.github.io/5etools.html
Does anyone know if there's a way to DL a github site for offline use?

It's more useful for the Artificer than for beastmaster.

github.com/astranauta/astranauta.github.io

Click download/clone and download it as a zip

Rock gnome gunsmith riding on gorillabot?

My players in SKT are approaching the Eye of the All-Father. Next week. Does anyone have any suggestions for running that area? One thing that I think might be logistically difficult is how large the area is. Also, should I be depicting the terrain using maps or should I just tell them what's in the non-combat rooms? I don't have a problem drawing maps for areas, but the sheer size might make it take too long in-session or be too large to use on my table.

Do you draw areas that don't have combat?

For an upcoming game i'm doing this dude, a calm measured sort of fighter attached by the city lord to a party of adventurers that are deemed equal parts potential for heroism and trouble.

Human (Variant) [City Watch]
Fighter (Knight) 1 [Tunnel Fighter]
18 - 14 - 17/18 - 10 - 16 - 11/12
PAM
Athletics
Insight - Perception
Intimidation - Persuasion

Any mechanical slack that can use tightening up?

Thanks friend

>Improvised weapon. 1d4 plus your Strength modifier.

>implying anyone has ever gotten past Act 3 in SKT

Improvised weapons really are one of the worst rules in 5E I think

I want to play a Lizardfolk Moon Druid who only turns into reptiles, what are some good choices for level 1?

That's because DM's are retarded and forget the "you can decide the damage die" part of the rule.

I can remember the opposite rulings of 3.5 when things did damage by weight, so people minmaxed the largest objects their characters would capable of throwing. The result was retarded Hulking Hurler builds that could one shot anything printed.

I want to get into d&d but I'm an absolute beginner. Would getting the 5th edition starter set, pathfinder, or another d&d be a good idea for a first timer?

Probably 5e because it's the newest. There's not a ton of books out for it, there's lots of people playing it too.

5th edition is the best for beginners, for sure.

>Pathfinder
Avoid at all costs. 5e is best for a beginner. Buy a PHB.

Would it be worth playing a paladin who primarily uses a longsword, no shield and uses tavern brawler/maybe grappler?
I would like to be able to pommel strike (improvised weapon) and grapple someone. Having a way to nearly guarantee advantage on smite would be nice, however that would make my damage 1d8-1d10.

>Tunnel Fighter
>PAM
Show some mercy

>knight
>tunnel fighter
>PAM

good god dude, have SOME restraint

Any kind of backstory I can use for a Great old One patron warlock other than "muh indescribable horror"

For a Ranger (or any class without Extra Attack really) is Booming Blade, PAM, or CBE generally the better choice for getting an extra swing in?

But ranger does get extra attack