Hour of Devastation Spoilers

No fun edition

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bz8_iHHejwI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Banned in EDH in 3....2.....1.....

Well this is a game winner in limited, stupid in EDH, and will probably see standard play if black-containing midrange or control decks are a thing.

It's also probably going to look great in foil.

There's quite a bit of "lose 3 unless sac or discard", I wonder if it's going to be a new bolas thing, or if effects like that are going to be a new thing black gets.

It's a cycle of three they just unveiled.

In Melissa Detorra article she explains that it's a mini cycle of cards that are limited in number to make the choice of losing life or discarding/sacing things more interesting

>I SEND THE SWARM I SEND THE HORDE
youtube.com/watch?v=bz8_iHHejwI

Also hell yeah, more curses for my slowly building curse deck.

Kinda sucks they can just sac the creature you -3/-3ed. Instant Speed helps it a ton though.

Fuck. I can't read and missed "Another".

Wait, stop, that card is bad unless you have stupid amounts of mana (at which point you can just Exsanguniate).

In later stages of the game, your opponent has an average of six cards in hand and non-land permanents on the board in total. You aim to kill him, so let's just count life; Hailfire surpasses a fireball at 11 mana (-9). Say you fail to reach that point: he just leaves his best creature on the board and murders you, because you wasted an opportunity to cast a 10 mana threat.

Generally, Fireballs are reach for semi-agressive decks, and are supposed to finish you off at X=6+-1. This card fails at that and performs as the solo finisher, but then it has to hit for at least 20, and that's 15 mana! Maybe you aim to destroy your opponent's board and hand and make Hailfire lethal for just 9 mana - okay, he has no creatures and no answers, just play a resilient threat or a huge walker (ironically, Bolas is perfect in this case).

And obviously it's shit at removal and discard, see Killing Wave.

Not really that amazing in EDH. It gives players a choice and is only as good as any other infinite mana outlet. I see it being used in mono-black and not much else. It's good, and can be used to get some great value, but Exsanguinate is better.

they cant sac the creature you targeted. "another" nonland permanent

>I'm gonna cause a famine, a nightly firestorm and plague on innocent people because my brother won't end slavery

Was Moses the bad guy?

>Jews
>Ever not the bad guy

Given they made up the story, yes.

If your plan to be passive and let an adopted Jewish boy grow up in the royal family to give perspective. Yet the future pharaoh still showed no compassion to your people and denied you even when you showed your power, well maybe you'd lose all your patience as well.

Less "I'm going to cast this" and more "God has told me to do this, and if I don't he's probably going to smite me and get someone else to do it fuck"

Exodus god was kind of a dick.

Don't forget the part where God basically made the Pharaoh stubborn and not free the slaves

its been built for the archenemy bolas deck because it effects all opponents on the field and not just one.

so it surpasses fireball for damage when cast for 3 mana because of 3 damage to 3 people so long as you're playing the boss-card game

I'm sorry, user, I don't speak moon-runes. What's it say?

Aura control?

it is absolutely not as good as Exsanguinate.

considering almost none of it actually happened, at least not like that in the least, Moses.

especialy since Egypt didn't ya know.. have slaves.

How is this not a mythic?

because its a bad fireball 99% of the time, and fireballs are almost never mythics.

it sure is a flavorfull fireball, but a fireball it is.

Not in the Joseph Smith translation

This is pretty good for a common.

Can Fireball make people discard cards or sac permanents?

but you can't make them do anything, they'll do exactly whats best for them.

also this just means this card will be unable to kill in many situations and your opponent (especially if they know about this in your deck) can just hold on to a bunch of lands.

an UNRELIABLE Fireball, jeez.

I don't speak moon-runes either, but I think the whole comic is about Nicol Bolas being completely clueless about the new rules, colorless symbols and whatnot, due having been away for so long, and him going "What the heck happened while I was away?" as he checks manuals.

>Like a carpet unrolling for their God
What awkward phrasing

No. The Pharaoh is the bad guy.

wat

I'd play this because your either gonna get some serious value out of this no matter what the shit since you are gonna sit on this as a finisher.
at 5 mana and up this gets absolutely stupid, since by that point your opponent likely won't have that many cards in hand other then trump cards to bail themselves out of whatever other garbage is going on and eating 9 or more damage for 5 and up mana is pretty damn good, or they can grit their teeth and feed permanents to it but i doubt they would like that very much and it could completely screw what they were trying to do.

now normally i dislike choice cards but this one is fairly decent for one of them, if life loss was a 1 life per repeated process it would be garbo but 3 each can lead to nasty stuff.

It's nonland permanents you mouthbreather

>Jacetice League plays with the big boys
>gets BTFO

like pottery

>Satanic vertigrams

Pretty sure he meant lands in hand, but even then that requires them to have lands in hand without having missed land drops, or purposefully denied themselves resources just so they might not lose to you casting it for 4.

Yeah, second panel is the one guy talking about gaining Energy and his response is "E-Energy?!"

To be fair Bolas-senpai, that was just about my reaction to it too.

literally invert the clauses and it sounds much better, right now it's like intentionally awkward

God told Moses to warn Pharoah that he must release the slaves or suffer the plagues, so it's more of God who is the dick by telling a guy he needs to give his half brother the choice between a rock and hard place.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate if Nicol Bolas was replaced with Nahiri or Ugin? Ugin was having a nap in the hedrons and Nahiri was stuck in a demon rock for even longer. Bolas was still around.

Remorseless Punishment didn't see play, and that was a 3BB "Lose 5 life unless a creature or planeswalker is sac'd or they discard two cards. Then choose again."

And it'll still be in standard with the Torments for a few months!
I wonder how well throwing four of all of them into the same deck would work?

>agro will ever die because of vehicals
atleast we are seeing mardu decks side board in 6 drops, so there might be hope to playing a game till turn 6

It used to be a keyworded action, but they cut it and just kept a handful of cards that use it.

I don't know a thing about Japanese, but I've read enough manga to know Japanese comedy.

He literally wrote that Exsanguinate is better.

Nice pauper card tho

>return of bolas reading

Fucking Japs are more based than Wizards.

limited = black control/midrange now

if it was 1BB and rare it would be (along with push) the staple removal of standard too

>Frontier
Oh Bolas you joker.

That is one of the most retarded and false assertions i have ever seen. Please, repeat it in arguments so that people can laugh at fedoras

HAHA REMEMBER WHEN WIZARDS SAID THAT THIS SET WAS GOING TO HAVE BETTER ANSWERS IN IT THAN PREVIOUS SETS BECAUSE THEY AGREED THAT STANDARD HASN'T HAD GOOD ANSWERS FOR THE LONGEST TIME?

HAHA YEAH LOL THAT WAS A GOOD ONE

They didn't say that, they said they were adding in answers in response to feedback. And from what we've seen in Ixalan, they are.

Frontier is presumably still a thing in Japan in the small shops were it started in the first.

>And from what we've seen in Ixalan, they are.
What we've seen in Ixilan is a card that appears to be a one card infinite combo, another fucking Gatewatch planeswalker, and meme tier LE EPIC PIRATES AND DINOSAURS shit. Name one fucking answer spell in the set because I ain't seen any.

Why didn't the pharaoh put the slaves in the line of fire of the plagues and tell moses that if he keeps it up, he will have no people left to save?

am i bad at magic or is torment of hailfire and torment of scarabs incredibly good

You know we still have like half the set to see, right?

Hailfire is pretty darn nice, venom is just a little too expensive for standard, but I wouldn't feel bad about picking it first or second in a draft.

Because God is the one controlling the plagues lol. How's Pharaoh gonna put the slaves in the line of fire of shit he has no control over?

Pharaoh was a fuckboy.

>Probably won't get a rare/mythic sandwurm
>Probably won't get a good sandwurm
>Probably won't get another sandwurm, period
this sucks

Maybe if you actually looked at the cards instead of spouting memes you might be able to find them.

>wanting the removal to be mythic/rare
Come on now, the removal will still be 5 bucks when it's an uncommon.

Because Exodus is an allegorical re-telling of the Jewish/Canaanite revolt against Egyptian colonialism.

This set has tons of answers what are you talking about

We need more Dune fans and fewer cat lovers working at WotC.

>20/20 vanilla sandwurm will never be real

>Definitely won't get a mythic 20/20 vanilla sandwurm, because the vanilla mythic is an Un-card
Suffering.

>wotc can't call it Torment of Hellfire since hell is a bad word that would scare little kids

I wanted that fake to be real so badly, but i knew it wasn't.

the cat shit's fine mostly, but i want more wurms
i also want wurms to be green's iconic instead of hydras because hydras have the "heads multiplying" gimmick tying them down mechanically most of the time

We just got Akoum Hellkite in BfZ

Bolas isn't a demon though, so hellfire wouldn't make sense. Sounds like you just want to be offended, user.

Well at least they managed to offend one person.

They tried Wurms, and a bunch of other things, but it didn't stick. Wurms in part because they get used at uncommon so damn often, and in part they're either just dragons without limbs or just worms with a U Don't get me wrong, I love wurms too.
Hydras DO fit as a green thing, and they've finally started not making them all about headgrowing which is good. Unfortunately, since they printed so many that were about headgrowing, people bitch about it when they aren't growing heads now despite the fact that they can mess with other aspects of them.
Hydras are cool, wurms are cool, we need more of both. Maybe a hydra wurm, too. Oh wait we got one of those, they just didn't give it those types

Is this a "brown people can't own slaves" post, or an "I'm so athiest, look how stupid we are lmao xdxd" post?

They're both good and, more importantly, they're fun

not sure what the other user is referring to but most of the people commonly thought to have been slaves in ancient egypt were actually religious servants. the pyramids were not built by slaves, rather pious individuals.

amonkhet actually kind of nails this. sure the people are being LIED to, but they aren't being forced to do anything.

Fuck that, we might get a 20/20 mythical Dinosaur. FUCK FAGGY SANDWORMS

this

Most of what I have read of the Old Testament says otherwise (not that either Testament is really valid as a historical source). Some editions will call them indentured servants as a way to make Christians feel better about YHWH sanctioning slavery, but never have I heard them refered to as free but pious individuals. Do you have a source?

Even in EDH, you'd be surprised at how effective this can be. I'm not saying it should be slotted into every EDH deck with black mana, but it's a way for mono black to potentially chew through artifacts and enchantments or hit their life total more efficiently than a 1:1 ratio. It'll be played, but I don't think it'll be a sure fire staple.

>Bolas isn't a demon though, so hellfire wouldn't make sense.

user, did you forget that he's a planeswalker? Like you, the player? Who can cast any number of demon related spells?

Egypt had slaves, but the pyramids weren't built by them.

it's more fun to take the story as an allegory for Judaism asserting its dominance over Egyptian theology by saying my god can beat your gods

but I'm sure we're just gonna nitpick and argue over something nobody has any true sources over for 200+ posts

>Most of what I have read of the Old Testament says otherwise (not that either Testament is really valid as a historical source)
Then... why did you bring it up?
It's not like the Jews worked on the pyramids or anything. Neither Testament mentions that.
>Some editions will call them indentured servants as a way to make Christians feel better about YHWH sanctioning slavery, but never have I heard them refered to as free but pious individuals.
Wait, are you saying that YHWH instructed the ISRAELITES to build the pyramids? Are you a Mormon or something? What the fuck is going on?

So is this the Heroes lose, plane is fucked block that'll be revisited in 7 years?

That's actually pretty spot on, YHWH was definitely a war god who was jealous of the power of other tribal gods. I like the fact that they are taking an Eqypt vs Jews take as far as their setup for the Amohnkey god

I just don't understand why they wouldn't use slaves if they had them. Slaves were used in every culture that had them to build infrastructure/monuments, why would Eqypt not follow suit?

Yes. After 3 block of the heroes win, plane is fucked block.

Good. Mirrodin was pretty tragic but the Gatewatch are so dull it's nice to see their shit get kicked in.

OK.
He's a dragon, not a demon.
Also hellrider was in innistrad and had been reprinted since.
Stop looking for reasons to be mad and just live life to the fullest. It will improve your draws by 20%.

post-apocalyptical egyptian theme setting sure.
The demons outside the city looked like nice people at least

I'm pretty sure that's the case, each plague being a symbolic defeat of a major Egyptian god.
It's basically like a teenager doing a webcomic about how he totally kicked his bully ass, nothing personal.

from the thumbnail it looks like he has a boner

>I just don't understand why they wouldn't use slaves if they had them
Perhaps your understanding of what slaves are is wrong then. If you think they were the cruelly treated niggers you've seen in the media that are whipped nonstop for their entire lives, then just stop.