Post-Apocalyptic Wasteland Creation

Here's the skinny on what this thread is gonna be: we're gonna roll up some factions for a corner of the post-apocalyptic nuclear wasteland using these tables I made a long ass time ago 1d4chan.org/wiki/Post_Apocalyptic_Society_Creation_Tables that someone has kindly posted on 1d4chan. There's gonna be 3-5 factions, depending on how stuff shakes out, and hopefully this'll be interesting enough to get some maps or art or writefagging going. If none of the factions turn out "normal" enough, then there will be some minor settlements throughout the region that are more akin to standard settlers/survivors for them to interact with.

Ya dig? Good.

Let's get this started with a 1d100 for the genetic state of the first faction.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM
pastebin.com/VQA1HvsU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Rolled 89 (1d100)

Where do they get all those tiny skulls

>Wretched: Riddled with tumours and malformations, these poor sods are kept at an arm's length by everyone else. Ugly and deformed, think Hills have eyes. Very high infant mortality, and fewer still make it to adulthood. Always in need of breeders.

Rough cop for these guys. Now another 1d100 for what their overall culture is like. All the rolls are d100s, so I'll stop saying that from now on.

The skulls aren't tiny, the guys are giant.

Rolled 34 (1d100)

Hobbits or dwarves or mice.

I guess we'll use this for the culture of this first group, so they're...

>Raiders: An unfortunate truth of the wastes is the prevalence of raider gangs. Savage and violent, they typically take more than they make but there are exceptions. Most don’t settle down in any place for too long, and tend to use up what they have quickly. Many treat the apocalypse as a sort of hedonistic paradise, murdering for fun, using homemade narcotics, and generally raping to their hearts content.

Makes sense, given the fact they're pretty fucked up.

Now a roll for how they run themselves.

>Roll 1d100

sorry forgot how to roll
dice+1d100

Rolled 15 (1d100)

I fucking want to die

>Dictatorship: Whether they go by mayor, king, chief, tyrant, boss or any other blandishment of power, these men are the movers and shakers in the wastes. Strong willed and often ruthless, singular individuals often take charge of small groups, as has been the case in every historical era. They may have a close knit inner circle, but they always rule with absolute power when it comes down to it.

Would make sense for a group of highly diseased raiders. I doubt they'd stick together if they tried to run as a democracy.

I'll need two dice, yes two, for cultural quirks.

Cultural roll

Rolled 62, 7 = 69 (2d100)

These poor bastards.

Options field.

Shitty phone ate my roll ffs

... Damn, this is getting morbid.

Alright so they have a...

>Death Cult: Unsurprisingly among the blighted folk of the wastes, some have taken to worshipping death, or the idea of a “Good death”. Perhaps it’s a mythical afterlife, a desire to see the world well and truly die, or simply a nihilistic belief that death is an inevitable constant in life, for whatever reason this group worships death itself.

And a...

>Distinctive Icon: A motif or symbol runs throughout the groups structures, clothes, and vehicles. Maybe it’s a specific animal or object, or maybe it’s something less specific like bullets or flames.

Makes sense, given that they're lives are gonna be pretty short and brutish. Need something to assure them it's okay to die and something to tie them together in the first place.

Now another two dice for what makes their appearance distinctive.

>when you can't load up the tables
What is it man?

Rolled 59, 41 = 100 (2d100)

Rollin

Rolled 27, 93, 74 = 194 (3d100)

Rolling 3 incase you'd prefer 3.

Rolled 61, 19 = 80 (2d100)

Are they religious or are they just fucked in the head?

It just syncs up so perfectly to make an antagonist faction.

>Leathers: Never ride without your distinctive leather jackets and other assorted biker gear. Never.

And

>Uniforms: Standardized appearance across the group and it’s leadership. Makes your group seem more cohesive, but can be hard to maintain.

Pretty interesting actually, given these guys are otherwise kind of generic raider freaks. Seems they take a little bit of pride in their biker gear or what have you.

Also, FYI, after we roll up this band I'm gonna side step for a second and have us roll up some facts about the wasteland itself. Tech level, weather, status of mutated fauna, and all that. I should have done that at the beginning of the thread but it just occurred to me now. Because I'm an idiot.

Now a roll for what these guys have that allows them survive at all.

Probably a little bit of column A and a little bit of column B.

Rolled 48 (1d100)

Rolled 51 (1d100)

ROLLIN THRICE

>Scrap: Everyone wants it, everyone needs it, most people have it. This group has a specific type, or an extreme profusion of it, and they use it to barter for whatever else they need.

Lots of random crap. Probably stuff from the people they kill, makes it easier for them to get by.

Now, how nice is their equipment? One die please.

If scrap is their most common resource, maybe scrap armor and studded leathers are part of their uniform?

Rolled 94 (1d100)

ROLLIN QUADRUPLE

Hell, maybe it's their whole religion. They literally worship garbage. Human garbage is dead bodies and the like, so that's how they worship death.

We still need a Distinctive Icon too.

We're getting somewhere with this.

And maybe they're literally based in a valley-sized landfill?

Hmm, if they're obsessed with death and worship trash, why not tombstones? You know, dumpsters for human waste?

Well after looks like they are lords of a pre-apocalypse heavily defended boneyard or something.

>Military Grade: Exactly what you think. Military stockpiles of armor, guns, and gear. Usually live in military bunkers or other fortified locations.

Well, that would certainly explain how they manage to survive at all. Bunch of podunk mutant looneys gets a hold of AR-15s and RPGs.

Now give me a dice for what their apparently very high quality vehicles are.

Rolled 21 (1d100)

Come on Mega!

I dig this. Explains how they first got their good stuff and why they adopted their garbage/death worshiping stance. They're probably ardent recycles, always picking clean the people they kill.

This is also awesome.

Rolled 80 (1d100)

I'm hoping for motorcycles.

>Custom: Either customized to unrecognizable extents or built from the ground up, these cars and trucks don’t fit into any pre-war category. Generally prone to mechanical problems and ramshackle stylings, but common and easily repaired.

Intredasting. I'm not totally sure what to say about this if they're getting their stuff from a military dumping ground. Maybe lots of stuff jurry-rigged from multiple different vehicles? A helicopter front stitched onto a humvee? Would certainly make sense for what we have so far.

Either way, two more dice for what actually sets their vehicles apart.

Rolled 73 (1d100)

Rollin 5 something
Theres a roll table for the wasteland itself?

Rolled 52 (1d100)

Rolled 39, 48 = 87 (2d100)

ROLLIN 6 WHATEVER THE FUCK

Rolled 48, 59 = 107 (2d100)

Or maybe they're just god-tier mechanics?

I would like it if they have a wild mix of civil cars upgraded with military parts.

Or have one or a couple of "pure"/unmutated guys who are awesome mechanics.

Either worshiped or enslaved.

There's one roll.

And there's two.

>Spikey: Cars are covered in spikes. Pretty simple really. Good for keeping people off your hood and exploding ordnance before it hits the main body of the car. Actual functional version of the same thing in the appearance section.

And

>De-Construction Equipment: Cars are mounted with buzzsaws, mini-excavators, and plows for wrecking enemy vehicles.

Well, they're pretty much armed to the teeth with whatever they've scavenged. Pretty much just the Buzzards from Fury Road too.

Nope. I'm gonna make it up as we go along. I just realize it would probably help get this all making sense.

Unless you guys are happy with it just being generic dusty Mad Max world?

Anyway, give me one final role for what their flagship vehicle is.

Rolled 89 (1d100)

I got this

>captcha is VENUS LANE

Rolled 35 (1d100)

Rolled 53 (1d100)

>Unless you guys are happy with it just being generic dusty Mad Max world?

Nah lets look what other could we have. I could see the death cult raiders working in a eastern european wasteland.

>De-Construction Equipment

That works pretty well with the boneyard idea too. And the making custom chopshoped vehicles.

Well, I won't totally be making it up. It was a half finished table that was meant to compliment this one. This one was also meant to be split into three tables.

>Legendary Car: It’s not a giant warmachine, or even all that impressive compared to some other things, but it’s the perfect blend of fast, tough, and reliable. This car is everything anyone could ever want and it’s certainly made a name for itself. When a group rolls up with this thing, people know who they are. Takes the form of whatever your generic type of vehicle is.

Interesting. The pinnacle of their engineering and mechanical skill?

Guys. Guys.

We just made the HELLS ANGELS.

A group of mutant raiders who've built their whole society on biker memorabilia and artifacts, turned into a religion about riding hard and dying young. They chopshop vehicles together, they wear leather, they killmaimburn everything, and they're on a most definitive highway to hell.

Alright, you guys discuss this first band of mutated miscreants for a few minutes and get them properly hashed out while I finish typing up the wasteland tables themselves. I'll post a pastebin here with those in probably 10-15.

I could just keep them in my head, but I'd prefer if you guys were able to keep me honest.

What if the world was an irradiated wasteland because of a failed alien invasion? If it's in Eastern Europe, maybe it's a frozen hellscape instead of a typical desert?

Exactly. They were probably bikers or greasers before the bombs fell, and they stuck around doing the same thing. Probably raided a military base early on, chopped down all the vehicles, and used to weapons to continue their warpath ever since.

>Legendary Car

So the helicopter mounted on the humvee (or a big military truck) with the blades reinforced to be used to "de-construct" victims?

I would like that. Cars keep you warm and most people have a coal oven in their car.

Or they are decendants of conscripts. Once the apocalypse happened the officers got out or were killedina mutiny. What was left wasa gang of young soldiers with to much weapons and no goal. It would fit that the hells angels were founded by veterans.

>Not mounting the blades to the rear and flipping them about to give it more FASTA'
baka senpai.

>Captcha is helicopters

I'm picturing a lot of their cultural mores being lifted from rock music and greaser lifestyles, without knowing the context. They think various bands are saints, or godly figures. They interpret the words of Johnny Cash as distant omens of a strange future. They think all the pomade they keep finding is for sacred fires. After so long they interpret the world through what little they can remember of their ancestor's lives.

What if the militia and hells angels were originally separate factions, but slowly became one over generations of interbreeding?

>We're heading to Reno to shoot men and watch them die, as our Lord and Savior Johnny Cash demands of us.

>not mounting them to the front so they pull the vehicle to give it more fasta AND smashing

What kind of apocalypse mechanic are you?

But they aren't Punks, and that doesn't fit with the garbage worshiping.

>hey man this biker fellas ain't so bad and they have prime pussy
>the grunts down at the base are chill guys and they have mad hardware

Yeah i could see that working.

On the other hand they could have a lot of military left overs. Rigid hierarchy, superb small unit tactics etc.

Quick question, I heard some of you guys mentioning Eastern Europe. Should I put an option for a different country than the States in the wasteland creation tables, or not bother because it makes things too complicated? Either way, everything besides the general geographical notion of the place won't matter. No real cities or states or what have you, because the future/different timelines.

Fuck, that's dope

> not doing both

Tasteless fools, the lot of you.

>THE MAN IN BLACK SPEAKS THROUGH ME.
>BRING ME THE FIRE BOYS, I'M GOING DOWN, DOWN, DOWN.

If they're inspired by biker gangs, they probably still think they're incredibly cool going and killing people. They probably don't even consider themselves ugly because of how great they think they are, and see the women they rape as lucky to ever wind up with them. Delusions of grandeur for sure.

I don't know, I'm fine with anything, I kinda like the idea of the wasteland being cold and frozen, instead of hot and scorching.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck

BTW this is their theme song:

youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM

Ah shit, I thought that was an overgrown building from the thumbnail. My bad.

Also, what's the symbol.

The climate is already a table. So it could be cold, hot, temperate, green, underwater, what have you.

Maybe stick with the US for now for simplicity, then expand the table later for other countries if the thread turns out to be lively.

Who says we can't have a frozen wasteland in the US?

>The more religious members of the gang are constantly on the lookout for the enemies of their god, believing if they kill them all, a great cleansing will arise.
>Those demons they need to slay have simple names
>The Rambler
>The Gambler
>The Back Biter

Sounds good! An user earlier suggested Tombstones as a symbol, which works with either the heavy metal aesthetic or garbage worship.

Put other countries than the US in for sure.

Could we have a quick recap of all the elements we roled for our death cult raiders?

Yeah make it easier to snapshot

And now I've got THAT song stuck in my head.

>Wretched: Covered in boils and tumors,

>Raiders: Like to kill and steal and rape.

>Dictatorship: Follow one leader.

>Death Cult: Gotta kill kill kill

>Distinctive Icon: Probably a tombstone

>Leathers and uniforms, clearly bikers.

>Scrap: Can trade scrap if need be because they have a lot of it from stolen places.

>Drive makeshift vehicles covered in spikes and buzzsaws, and their legendary vehicle is just the perfect blend of speed, strength, and usefulness.

Just an idea here, but what if the Dictator's title was The Man? When The Man comes around gets a whole new meaning, and it's also pretty ambiguous and spooky for enemies and targets alike. Also, whole dynasties could start around the idea that all of the Mans are descended or reincarnated or incarnated from the Man in Black. Other men choose other colors or other themes, but they hold the faith that one day the Man in Black will come again, to lead them into a ring of fire that spans the world, and with him shall they Cut Down their enemies and ride forever free of the holds of their mythical hell of Full-Soem, free of Sheriffs and Deputies and Men of Reno. They shall ride Black, and nothing will ever stop them again.

>Wretched

Its the apocalypse

>Raiders

Fits for a mix of bikers and soldiers gone evil.

>Dictatorship

Remnants of the military hierarchy mixed with influences from bike gang structure. Lead by a general, inner circle of sergeant-at-arms for example.

>Death Cult

Maybe they use fear as a weapon ? And at some point they started believing their own image. We are the angels of death etc.

>Distinctive Icon: Probably a tombstone

Fitting.

>Leathers and uniforms, clearly bikers.

Weird mix of old uniforms, leatherjackets and bikler gang patches ? Me likey.

>Scrap

Maybe they only trade with people they deem honorouable foes ?

>Drive makeshift vehicles covered in spikes and buzzsaws

Weird mix of bikes and cars mashed together with military hardware.

>and their legendary vehicle is just the perfect blend of speed, strength, and usefulness

Maybe its the old generals/chapter presidents car. It has religious meaning because it announces if a settlement is ripe for killing. It is covered with intricate pictures, the skulls of worthy enemies and is generally in mint condition.

I'd play a campaign about needing to slay the various lieutenants of the gang (the Man in Green, the Man in Blue, the Man in Red) before eventually taking down The Man himself and learning once and for all what they're doing with all those old Johnny Cash records.

pastebin.com/VQA1HvsU

Alright, here's the region/world creation tables. They're a little slapdash, I'm sorry I didn't plan this well enough, but they should get us through. I also eschewed the country section because I thought it would over complicate things from an ethnographic level.

In any case, give me 1d100 for the tech level please.

Rolled 27 (1d100)

rolling

Rolled 33 (1d100)

pls work

Read through it, noticed only one faction was down, just couldn't help myself and figured I may as well roll something up. Doing it individually doesn't have quite the same feel as doing it with a group tho. Still, nice table, user!

>GENETICS - Part-Lives
Slightly mutated and irradiated, but still fairly normal looking. Maybe their skin is toughened to the heat and rough terrain of the wastes, at the cost of high rates of skin cancers.
>CULTURE - Mercs
Drift across the wastes, fight for coin and try to survive.
>LEADERSHIP - Consensus
Turns out they have some sort of ethics and old world values. Wannabe road warriors.
>QUIRKS - Pyromaniacs, """Intellectual"""
Mercenaries with a penchant for technology with a big destructive streak. Maybe they make use of fuel and plasma cutters to salvage vehicle parts and cut off heads, and fight for a share of whatever salvage is left over? Alternatively they could engage in Brotherhood of Steel tier cargo cultism, jealously guarding their secrets. Maybe integrate the pyromania too. "Knights of the Flame" or whatever.
>APPEARANCE - Gas Masks, Uniform
Makes sense for those around a lot of smoke to wear gas masks, plus the intimidation factor never hurts. Possibly remnants of an old world organization?
>RESOURCE - Water, the lifeblood of the wastes
They gotta have something valuable to maintain all their shit.
>EQUIPMENT - Well-Kept
Now we're getting somewhere. Probably raided some sort of armoury or garage they're based out of.
>MOTORS - Classics
Muscle cars, police cruisers, trucks and maybe a few motorbikes. Similar to the Bad Cops and ex-MFP in Lord Humungus' gang.
>MOTOR GEAR - Spikes, Black Paint
Set your car's bonnet on fire, cover it in shards of steel and ram it into the side of a van, shine on your crazy fucking diamonds
>FLAGSHIP - A FUCKING TAAANNNNK. Enough said.

That said, none of this seems set in stone by any means. Anyone have any ideas for names, themes, a leader figure or anything that just might be cool?

>Cold War Era: What it says on the tin. No silicon computing, picatinny rails, or fancy-schmancy drones. This is what everyone thought the end of the world would be like.

Alright pretty standard. Probably takes place in the "real world", so cultural references and shit are still good. Also keeps things classic.

Now a roll for the climate.

Well, we'll see. No one else roll without the thread.

Rolled 51 (1d100)

I'm kinda hoping we wind up with a water world, just to see how we have to adapt the biker gang for it.

Rolled 66 (1d100)

Rolled 50 (1d100)

Praying for future. Cyberpunk is bestpunk.

I got one word for ya. Jetskiis.

All I can hear is tank sized bikes.

Motorcycles made from Abrams.

Rolled 76 (1d100)

Fuck yeah! Great tables man.

Tiny people

>Grey and Scrubby: Think Stalker or Metro: Last Light. The world has a permanent overcast and the ground is muddy with short twisted plants growing everywhere. Water and food are hard to find because of radiation.

Ah yes, the most depressing kind of apocalypse. Very good.

Now a roll for how mutated the animals are.

Tank bike you say?

Might not be the first roll, but overgrown jungles through cities and all that sorta stuff is fucking cool. Maybe gangs have to use flamethrowers and machetes to clear a way through, and use giant pikes and guns to hunt mutated creatures.

Rolled 5 (1d100)

It ain't Waterworld, but I do love me some Metro.

If you think about it, and I mean really think about, these guys are like Mordor Orcs