Space Corps

40K IS HAPPENING. I REPEAT, IT'S HABBEDING.

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/science/2017/feb/15/india-launches-record-breaking-104-satellites-from-single-rocket
blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2014/09/23/how-india-mounted-the-worlds-cheapest-mission-to-mars/
ndtv.com/india-news/next-month-isro-to-test-rocket-capable-of-manned-missions-1704778
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What is the UNT Spacy
>What is Starfleet
>What are UNSC

Yeah, I love me some 40k too, but that's not just a 40k thing. Friggin' every scifi setting by its nature has a space based force, to differentiate itself from the wet navies planetside until those become obsolete.

Nah, it would have to be 40k. Only setting grimdark enough to properly befit real life.

Why now, of all times? Since the end of the Cold War, no other country has had a serious space exploration/colonization program.

Well most because a railgun in space is a dick move

Hey, the xenos won't purge themselves!

>Something in every science fiction setting is suggesting in irl
>40K IS AHBBENEDING
>A namefag.
Sounds about right. Fuck off.

Because Elon Musk is going to Mars in a few years with tech than makes the current military's best gear look like 19th century antiques, and we need to be prepared for the inevitable Martian invasion in a few decades.

Trump has a hard-on for space. At least when space isn't trying to tell him that global warming is real

>militarizing space

This is why we can't have nice things.

>Because Elon Musk is going to Mars in a few years with tech than makes the current military's best gear look like 19th century antiques

HAHAHAHAHA

That made me kek.

We'd have never made it to the Americas if not for the naval architecture advancements driven by war among the great powers of Europe.

Shut the fuck up faggot.

Name 1 thing this will help accomplish in the next 50 years that can't be handled better and cheaper by JFCC SPACE under USSTRATCOM like it is today. "Muh space infantry" chucklefucks need not apply.

>not having a railgun orbiting earth ready to his moscow at all times

There was a hearing this week where our military leadership literally admitted his rocket tech was better and they would need to contract out future military launches to his company to remain cost-effective.

Space is already militarized. No one yet has yet put up a dedicated space only weapon in operational use yet. Only tests and one offs.

Orbital bombardment would be an effective way to carry out a decapitating first strike against North Korea before they could nuke South Korea and Japan.

Rocket tech != "gear", this isn't a vidya gaem with tech levels you simpering twat.

>Orbital bombardment would be an effective
Idiot.

>space corps
Would literally be a sub department of the air force primarily dedicated to maintaining satellites with anti-icbm capabilities.

So it'd just be one of those jobs they sit in Arizona and do. Never even seeing the thing they're working on. Just having some parts inspected and then prepped for launch a few months later.

>Get to the ISS
>Space Corps have drawn dicks on everything
>Civilians complaining about being molested

Sooner or later, someone will. Might as well make sure you get your foot in the door. Besides, space race always leads to breakthroughs in more conventional applications.

God put it there, might as well put it to use rather then let it stay empty.

>no other country has had a serious space exploration/colonization program.
Not yet, but keep your eyes on India, China and Brazil. They're doing top-tier shit more efficiently than either the US or Russia. One decade - two tops - they'll be rivaling us in space.

>india/brazil
Lol.

>More efficient than the US
Only China can. India and Brazil are not remotely capable of doing the things the US or China can.

>Russia
Anyone is more efficient that Russia.

>theguardian.com/science/2017/feb/15/india-launches-record-breaking-104-satellites-from-single-rocket
>blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2014/09/23/how-india-mounted-the-worlds-cheapest-mission-to-mars/
>ndtv.com/india-news/next-month-isro-to-test-rocket-capable-of-manned-missions-1704778

I like the poo-in-loo meme as much as anyone else, but underestimating India in this field is a yuge mistake.

Space Conflict is going to be inevitable but from what I've gatneed it's going to look like drones busting satellite in space and satilites dropping artiliary to earth. Where not going Battlestar dog fights at least not yet.

It's fucking nothing, other than military–industrial complex money printing machine part 2: SpaceX Boogaloo. Same as part 1 which is the present-day Air Force.

The indian and brazilian government can become top tier
The living standards of thier people cannot

Yeah that's fine. Their HDI or whatever has no impact on the power or efficiency of their space programmes.

I'm not trying to argue to make some kind of jingoistic argument, I'm just a space enthusiast who is excited when anyone makes progress. I don't care who gets back to the moon first, or who puts people on Mars first, I just want them to hurry up and do it.

Can you really call china efficient with all the disastrous cost cutting they do?

>Denying Trump is the God Emperor and we are now in the 40K timeline

HERESY

Rods of God?

If he's the God Emperor, I can really see how the Horus Heresy would have happened.

>suck big gov't dick because of a 40kid meme

>an orange with 8 jewish grandchildren is the God Emperor

back to /r/Donald with you

This is dumb. We don't have the means to fight effectively in space. We can barely even maneuver around in space. Creating a space corps to do literally nothing is just silly. WE have more than enough issues in this country with busted and useless R&D programs that go nowhere. That's where most of our military budget is sucked up. Stupid fucking skunkworks that feed contractors to produce shit with 0 practical application.

Making a military space corps means that space tech gets access to an infinite research budget. It's a good idea.

Actually most of our money goes to porkbarrel contracts with private contractors and shitty air superiority jets that are somehow worse than the previous generation

Darpa and internal researchers make cool shit
I wonder if this has something to do with Hawkins recent Senate testimony

If we're gonna waste taxpayer money, I'd rather waste it on something cool rather than just filling a warehouse with tanks that no-one will use.

And besides, sticking it in the defense budget is basically the only way to trick republicans into funding research.

To be honest, I don't care what nationality or race colonizes space. Only that it believes in freedom of speech, gun rights, and private property rights.

My position can be best summed up as the following, I stand for the interracial gay couple being able to use guns to protect their adopted kid and weed farm on Mars.

>Why now, of all times?
The US House of Representatives, is the short bus body of the US government. They put forth (and occasionally pass) all sorts of dumb ass bills.
That said, with all of the potential competition that MIGHT occur in space, in a decade or so, the idea isn't totally without merit. But it is premature and boneheaded to force it on the Air Force at this moment.

Wasn't weaponizing space against some international law?

"The Outer Space Treaty represents the basic legal framework of international space law. Among its principles, it bars states party to the treaty from placing weapons of mass destruction in orbit of Earth, installing them on the Moon or any other celestial body, or otherwise stationing them in outer space."

WMDs, not armies

International law is literally just a meme.

It only exists so long as every nation agrees that it exists. If Congress decides not to follow it, then it isn't the law anymore.

Brazil is a paper tiger, it's literally a hollow promise, a lie. If you think anything done by the brazilian government is actually efficient or advanced, you're retarded.

At best you have individual researchers doing good work from federal institutions or in the military, but as a whole? Garbage. Absolute garbage.

Even if our propaganda might tell you otherwise.

You sound like an ultranationalist, But I'll trust your word until confirmation can be acquired

Obama told Trump about the aliens during their secret transition of power meeting, and Trump suffered extreme san loss.

Gun rights in space seems pretty pointless but idk, maybe Martian Warlords will become a thing

Which is why we follow it, out of posterity so that every single nation doesn't fuck one another to the moon and back.

An armed populace helps prevent the overreach by a centralization of power.

International law for example states what is or is not allowed. However this is a misnomer as parties must agree to abide. Certain countries who do not sign or agree are given free hand to ignore international law as they see fit.

Example: the US is not a signatory of UNCLOS. However the vast majority of the world's countries are signatories and are obligated to abide by its rules. However the US abides by it despite not being a signatory and thus is given freedom in either abiding or ignoring it.

So if the US abides by the rule, everyone is happy. If US interests are threatened or encroached, the US is free to ignore the UNCLOS rules without consequences. US cannot be penalized for not following rules they did not officialy sign.

Thus the strange shit that is international law. Even despite not being a signatory and obligated as such, a non-signatory can freely choose to abide or ignore without any issues outside of the hand-wringing that might happen.

e.g. Martian Warlords. I just have a hard time fathoming firearms in an interstellar environment

If we get into space first with a military fleet, we have a permanent high ground from which we can dominate every other nation forever.

Peace in our time, user.

Signing things makes people trust more and tends to be a good Idea

Domination is not peace, its a constant social strain that will almost always erupt in violence with the current regime toppled and replaced or cultural integration happens after years of tension and suppression.

Not exactly.

Same example: UNCLOS is law for pretty much 90 percent of the world. However when a signatory breaks the law like China, the law suddenly becomes useless. Its enforcing mechanism is the will of the countries who wish it so. Not enforcing it will essentially see the law useless.

So the US who is not a signatory, is not penalized if the US were to take a similar route. People may be angry but they cant do anything but whine.

China however is a signatory is thus viewed as the law breaker and makes countries distrust it in any future endeavor.

Maybe things will become a bit wonky when we actually have space fleets. On one hand, you would still need boots on the ground, but on the other whoever controls space has the ultimate high ground with all the advantages that brings with it. And if that rebelling planet NEEDS resources from outside to survive (especially if it's not an Earth-type planet), then theoretically, all that invading fleet would have to do is just wait them out until they capitulate. But this is all conjecture since no one can imagine what space-based warfare will be like until it happens.

The domination of a space-borne power over purely terrestrial countries would be domination like nothing ever seen before. This would be like God in the Old Testament dominating the Israelites. It's an unquestionable superiority against which there can be no rebellion.

>I've seen it on a dozen worlds. Space-based weaponry always destabilizes planetary politics.
JLU's Green Lantern said it best. But then again you could make the argument that our politics are destabilized as fuck already. On one hand I welcome the advance of technology, but on the other I'm wary of the increasing control is puts in the hands of a select few. Deus Ex is getting harder and harder for me to replay because it's just starting to get too eerily real.

This isn't as cool as you guys think it is. The space corps would be just splitting up the space warfare capabilities of the air force into a separate branch. Which is chiefly maintaining gps and communications for troops on the ground and icbm detection, and some ECM.

No space marines. No precision orbital strikes. No space broadsides.

Even while you speak of great metal behemoths that could blot out the sun, You're thinking too small. The social aspect is insurmountable. Civil unrest and war would be rampant, possibly along with the nuclear option, specifically against the power your nation wields. Every other nation will see you as THE threat and annihilate your land territories with all available resources. There is no such thing as domination. Only the stagnation of social emancipation.

Oh and there is so talk about anti satellites weapons that china is developing and apparently successfully tested, and of course us trying to figure out how to defend against that. But its still concerning gps and comm sats

It's still a step in the right direction

Ignoring the logistics, all space does is add force projection that can't be easily disrupted, and the US already has force projection in spades.

>a sub department of the air force
That already exists

I think that the Russians already had them. They are called Aerospace Defence Forces.

You know, it's very easy to shot down orbital satellites. It's insultingly trivial. Their only defence is attaining bigger orbits so you are forced to get bigger rockets to get them, but that also means that these satellites are not very precise.

>Putin says he's going to declassify all the Russian UFO documents
>US decides we suddenly need space military forces.
>That feel when X-com is going to end up being a documentary in the future.
Aw yeah.

So how's that universal healthcare system coming along, America?

Vidya gaem when?

Also on *any* habitat or colony, guns are likely to either be not there at all, rubber bullets only, or the only thing you get are tasers- because you DO NOT want proper killer bullets in space, because one missed shot and you've caused a hull breach and everyone in that section is fucked, or you've hit some cabling in the walls and there goes the water reclaimer.

Space is deadly as fuck, you don't need guns making it worse, because guns mean that *everyone* dies when something goes wrong.

Also RE "centralisation of power"

You're in space, you're on a colony that probably isnt even self sustaining- you are dependant on the home system until you get self sufficient colonies, and even then the colonies will only be self sufficient as long as you keep to the set limits given by admin as to how much you can eat, etc.

You can't *not* be controlled by a centralised power structure in space, because if you dont, everyone fucking dies.

Fucking normie get out