Starfinder General /sfg/

Starfinder General /sfg/

Spess edition
What would you like to see from Starfinder spaceships?

Starfinder First Contact: drive.google.com/file/d/0BwsQBh5kjjpIdjdycXJOSUNIVFU/view

Starfinder Blog Previews: paizo.com/paizo/blog/tags/starfinder

Compiled Data:
docs.google.com/document/d/1xIdRnyjYglnAOIzn38j4LYqwKfSalfs8pN5zJRJRYUI/edit?usp=sharing

Old thread:
Current /pgg/:

Other urls found in this thread:

paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5ljwx?Cybernetics-and-Augmentations
paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5ljtz?Class-Preview-The-Mystic
phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Phantasy_Star_Online
pscave.com/pso/script/forest.shtml
pscave.com/pso/script/centralcontrolarea.shtml
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'd honestly love to see the option of player-controllable aircraft carriers, where, in space combat, some party members would control tiny fighters while others man systems of the carrier itself.

You could just play EVE at that point.

Tbh tabletop EVE sounds pretty rad.

A certain point you need to abstract the shit out of things and you're not going to capture the same feel.

Again you might as well just play EVE. Let the RPG focus on what it might actually be good at instead of trying to cram in a million half ass and poorly thought-out subsystems.

Why link to /pgg/ when we have /sfg/? The very existence of /pgg/ is based on the absence of /sfg/. Link to a proper /pfg/ thread instead, or at least note that none exist.

>Again you might as well just play EVE. Let the RPG focus on what it might actually be good at instead of trying to cram in a million half ass and poorly thought-out subsystems.
Honestly though, if you have a Science-Fantasy/Sci-Fi game, you're honestly going to need rules for space combat. It's going to be abstracted to hell and back either way, but space combat is pretty cash. I'd love to be the commander of a space-ship as other players are out leading fighter wings.

>i want my space dick to look huge

The other players are my semen.

Okay you got me

I want there to be all sorts of ships. Space ships made out of trees. Space ships made out of space whales. I want the space version of Dracula's Castle for Castlevania.

Although something I imagine would be cool for an empire building sort of game would be the PCs being essentially noble born tank commanders where they pilot a combat ship together. The idea would be that they are members of various vassel houses who have lived and trained together for the day they see battle in their space tank and do combat.

But more than that I want to have the space version of air races so any ace pilots I would get as PCs could have something they can do either as part of the campaign or a downtime way of earning money (with it's own subplot of course) perhaps with the full support of the other PCs.

Why should I play this instead of any existing sci-fi game?

>>i want my space dick to look huge
What's wrong with that though? Don't you want your dick to look big. I'm not after a feminine space penis after all.

They mentioned a Tiny Racing ship as a possible antagonist in one of the Spaceship posts, so you'll likely get your wish.

You can also have it double as an escape vessel. If they ever get wrecked, they can run away and try again from there.

Lost existing Sci-Fi games or either dead, obscure, old, or have terrible rule sets. More often than not it's all of the above.

Or you could maybe do some research and decide for yourself instead of being a lazy nigger.

How many high-fantasy kitchen-sink science-fantasy game settings are there?

None actually that aren't super obscure like RIFTS spin offs.

The point is you'll actually get a game with this and the mechanics so far are looking at least better than PF and 5e.

It's certainly more open to player ideas and storytelling than something is niche focused or weird as Dark Heresy or Eclipse Phase.

Exactly. And I say that as someone that *likes* Eclipse Phase and 40k. This is kitchen-sink happy-go-lucky slay-the-dragon IN SPACE, it's completely different from any other science-fantasy that I know of. The closest thing I know of is Numenera, but Numenera isn't truly MAGIC either, it's just "It's science nobody understands lol" and still focuses only on Earth and is built entirely on "how weird, lol".

Starfinder just takes all the D&D tropes of adventuring fantasy and throws it into space, throwing in just a bit of Spelljammer and Planescape into it, and tadaaa.

Nothing else really does that, it's very different.

Its heavy on scifi though, as much as it is fantasy.

It even has D&D style God's running around which is something I can't say I've ever seen in a role playing game. The closest comparison I can make is DC or Marvel Cosmic comics.

Are there going to be something like Racial Templates or Modular Races or something?

Because I've always felt like Aasimar/Tieflings and such should've been templates or something, and since classes are very modular, it occurred to me that races can be to. In Pathfinder, for example, there's no way to play an Orc Aasimar - you just end up with regular Aasimar, despite the descriptions of Aasimar including things like how an Orc Aasimar could have metallic tusks and stuff.

Not that I'm hankering specifically for an Orc Aasimar, it's just an example.

>D&D tropes of adventuring fantasy
I disagree because explain the ship combat they've come up with. I think it will be a much less narrative focused game than many people are thinking it will be. I'm sure there will be plots, but I predict combat is going to be much more enjoyable in this than in PF or other d20, granted d20 fantasy combat is stale.

Starfinder is going to require a bit more work around, but you should be able to do it thanks to the power of SCIENCE!

Just add Cyber-Chompers to your Aasimar and write them off as Orc Tusk braces. They probably even give you some bonuses to something.

You're talking about rules, though, I was talking about the setting. And the ship combat really has nothing to do with either.

I mean, it's easy to homebrew, but it's easy to homebrew in Pathfinder, too. All you "need" to do is to take the alternate racial chompers from half-orc and give it to your Aasimar, probably in exchange of Orc weapon familiarity or something, and mess with the ability bonuses, and tadaa, Aasimar (Half-)Orc!

It just occurred to me that having a modular system that allows you to do some of this stuff natively would be cool. I know that there's already some traits in Pathfinder that can be applied on (almost?) any race, so it would also be a natural systems progression.

Is there such a thing in as a "Starfinder Society"? I always hated the idea of some semi-centralized "Pathfinder Society" in Pathfinder, and always thought it was a really shitty excuse to have adventuring parties (which is in itself a retarded idea, basically having "Adventurer!" as a job description) running around the world.

But in Starfinder, I can see the concept making a lot more sense, sending Starfinders to unknown worlds, or hire them to investigate things, or pay them to murder people. Whatever.

I can't help but to imagine Helldivers.

Except with Celestial Shardguns +1.

>pay them to murder people

My kind of party

>a starship space battle is a D&D trope of adventuring fantasy
You originally stated that D&D tropes are just shoved into space. I have clearly demonstrated that they are not. Setting in another thing entirely and not what you were originally discussing. But it's pointless to continue as you're just another Veeky Forums retard autist who can't stand being wrong.

I'd enlist

Dragonstar.

Starfinder Society exists, their primary official goal is "find out where the fuck did Golarion go".

>You originally stated that D&D tropes are just shoved into space. I have clearly demonstrated that they are not.

Are you autistic? You're autistic, aren't you? Because that's textbook autism, right there. I never said that was the end-all be-all of the setting, but it's pointless pointing that out to someone that's legitimately autistic.

You don't understand subtext or really anything that isn't stated bullet-point-by-bullet-point in legalese, filed in triplicate, and see anything loosely stated as an invitation to argue what someone meant or didn't mean entirely based on your own anal-retentive interpretation.

Kindly kill yourself.

>Dragonstar
Never heard of it.

>where the fuck did Golarion go
Wait, Golarion is fucking gone?

Yes. But not just gone like "We have no idea where it is". Gone as in "We have no idea what has ever happened there, why it's gone or why there's a space station called Absalom that somehow has something to do with Golarion".

Hey, if someone scraped together 10,000 gold coins to have you killed, odds are you deserved it somehow. We're not evil, we take pay from anyone. If you think about it, we're really just maintaining the balance in the universe. It's not our fault Evil tends to pay better and that Good don't send out nearly enough assassins.

It's like the mythweaverspocalypse all over again! Countless people and tales all forgotten because one incompetent wizard forgot to back-up the server before turning it off and on again.

>what has ever happened there
What, you mean, like, it's been erased from the timelines? Or did you just slip up on an ambiguous line and actually meant that they have no idea how it actually disappeared or why?

As in people know that Golarion has existed and may still exist, but all records and charts of it are gone as far as most people know. The only legacies of it are goblins, some humans who claim to be of a line that comes from Golarion and the Absalom Station. Everything else is obscure mentions and a pixelated ghosts.

I wonder how early in the game you can get augments and mechs.

It's called "The Gap". Thousands of years collectively amnesia'd. Every record having to do with that time period is just vanished.

The Elves are extremely butt hurt because they can't lord over their knowledge over everyone anymore

Again?

mythweavers, the site most people use for their Pathfinder sheets, crashed and took down a large portion of the sheets stored in there with it.

> I asked for this

paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5ljwx?Cybernetics-and-Augmentations

Dark Matter (Rolemaster in Space), Spelljammers (yes, it has a following after all these years), RIFTS of course, Dragonstar, Aeon, and finally GURPS (S.P.A.N.C comes to mind, as does Time Travel).

>basically having "Adventurer!" as a job description

I don't see the problem with that in worlds as hostile as the average D&D setting. Whether their intention is actually adventure or something else, anyone that plans to travel the world alone or in a small group is going to need certain skills to avoid being horribly murdered by all the fucked up shit living in the wilderness, and if they have expenses, the obvious solution is to sell those skills.

"Adventuring Party" comes across as a conveniently shortened/euphemistic term for their actual occupation, a traveling squad of elite (and probably magic wielding) mercenaries.

It's a D&D 3.5 setting where dragons kind of decided "Why the fuck we are allowing lowly races to do anything to us?" and gone on a Galaxy conquest. In the process chromatic and metallic dragon houses collided and almost send most of the Galaxy into stone age. So they made a joint government where chromatics and metallics take turns to rule their Empire. All other species are beneath them. Though dragons are smart enough to play them against each other if the need arises.

It was written by FFG.

Have you never looked at the science fiction aisle of a bookstore? 50% of the MC is essentially"Adventurer", with another 30% being "Soldier" and the remaining 20% being "got caught up in shit, HALP!"

I love it.
As an aside, RIFTS Juicers were cooler than full conversion cyborgs.

>You can also have old augmentations removed or replaced with new options, though since all augmentations are custom built for their specific user, there's no market for used augmentations.

I'm guessing this is to stop people from slashing the cost of upgrades, but it seems like wasted potential. No shifty used parts markets or penalties for using mismatched parts?

Well for one thing the smallest ones should be PC options. Have the gundrone connect to its full fighter-scale "power armor", or have the party combine into a small corvette or even frigate if they're big.

Second, It has to actually fucking keep up with PCs. The biggest risk/worry about vehicles is that paizo has made them notoriously worthless in pathfinder by like level 8-9 when everyone outspeeds them, outdamages them (that's more by like level 4 though), outlifts them, outtanks them, bypasses their requirement entirely due to specialized movement modes like teleportation. Spaceships need to be able to hold their own even after the splatbooks start coming out.

I don't claim to know how Starfinder fits into the rest of the Pact World but I've always like the idea of treating it like the Hunter Organization. Sure, among the many hats they wear finding out what happened to Golarion is key but they are still a group of powerful individuals who can go places and do things that you can't so calling on them to help deal with a problem isn't out of the question in exchange for certain rights and favors not granted to other people like flashing your starfinders members card and essentially having diplomatic immunity.

Chances are in practice they'll be like the pathfinder society though; amoral murderhobos that mostly only exist to take things that belong in a museum and put them back in the wrong hands

>im a nigger and i love meth!

Fuck off druggie

Sounds gay desu

Too spineless to embrace the cultural changes in issues that would arise from cyber prosthesis and full body conversions.

It's really pathetic that only nip cartoons will ever address this in a serious and thoughtful manner.

>FFG
Feels like a red flag. FFG does good board games, but that's it. Even the WH40kRP series was in steady decline from the point when they took it over from Black Industries. I guess the Star Wars game is pretty good, though, but I haven't played it in forever.

>Yeah nah I think this will do just fine. Nerds and normies will be all over the idea of playing an elf Jedi.
Oh, yeah, don't get me wrong, it wasn't intended as criticism of the Starfinder idea, quite the opposite. But most normies aren't sci-fi fans.

So, /sfg/ are you planning any adventures? If you're not GM:s, what adventures would you want to play?

I'm personally hoping for a Kingmaker that doesn't suck. No idea how it would work sensibly in space, but w/e.

I want to run an Azlanti adventure where the players are to reclaim the HOLY GRAIL that is starstone through REMOVING HEATHENS.
Maybe even include a resurrecting Aroden arc.

I want to try my hand at GMing and have a few ideas for adventures but probably have a session zero deal where everyone plays in a VR game to acclamate everyone (myself included) to the system.

>Let the RPG focus on what it might actually be good at instead of trying to cram in a million half ass and poorly thought-out subsystems.
It's a new game, but it's still Paizo.

The stat boost system is interesting. Seems like "personal upgrade" items are going to be limited by fiat instead in exchange for not having to waste an equipment slot for them, which is probably an improvement.

I don't understand. Wouldn't it be better to spread those stat gains out, rather than to have huge jumps at 5, 10, 15 and 20?

>I'm personally hoping for a Kingmaker that doesn't suck. No idea how it would work sensibly in space, but w/e.

Just like Kingmaker is Civ IV BTS right

Day at the beach in space. The PCs have been assembled to be the bodyguards of an low level corps executive and his family on a luxury space station with it's own artifical beach until some unknow entity shuts down the entire station and traps a good number of the residents in a VR game threathening to let their minds be destroyed unless their demands are met. What do they want and why are they doing this? Team up with various other members of the crew and the guest to take back the beach.

Any ideas on when they'll unveil some info on the spell-caster type classes?

paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5ljtz?Class-Preview-The-Mystic

Anyone have any good ideas on what to turn my character into?
I've decided I'm making a dwarvern model, but I don't want her to be an Envoy. I feel like that would too expected of her because of her profession.

Well, for what it's worth having the Idol theme can be on any class so it depends on what kind of model you want to be. What's the general idea behind her besides just being a model.

I uh... don't really have one.
I just want to play a stuck up rich lady in less then ideal circumstances and see what happens.

I just have like some background information on her father and what causes her to leave her cushy life as a model. Essentially her dad is some rich mining corporate exec. who funded her lavish lifestyle till she went too far/did something bad and decided she needed to reform.
Planned on forcing her into a rehab-center/reform school/prison sort of thing and she didn't want any part of it.

Alright, so just to spit ball some ideas because we don't have information on all the classes yet. Perhaps she was a mechanic (the class) seeing as her father owned a mining and heavy equipment business being around industrial technology came as easy as hitting the streets for some beauty parlor or a high scale party. While you were more than capable with your knowledge of engineering you wanted to be in the limelight and found yourself in the fashionista circles employing your own brand of high tech nd sexy making even mining gear fashionable. However, rolling around in those circles got you in trouble more often than not and your father went out of his way to cover for you when the instances were annoyances at best until an incident resulted in you getting into an altercation with another model where your machine compaion "accidently" put her in the hospital. As part of the deal your father agreed to put you in a re-hab center but you would have none of it. Casting off your father's wealth and the approval of polite society you have decided "fuck everything" and struck out on your own in the rough and tumble world of mercenary work hoping to build up enough fame and money to get back to what you love to do

Oh that's pretty good, I like it!!
I have always been a fan of weaponized fashion. I'll either go with something like this or make that prison/school her dad was sending her to more of a religious/culture thing and perhaps make her a mystic.

Got anything for that?

Okay, how about this.

Similar set up to before except now you have begrudgenly accepted to go to an all girls reform school, something of a high society place for deliquients so they don't sully their family names.

While there the teachers are strict and tough and even for a rebellious sort like yourself you find it hard to be strong in the face of such dominating teachers. Women of various sorts who in their own way are able to bring girls such as yourself to heel.

One in particular, nicer seeming then all the others, takes note of your love of drawing and fashion and unbeknowst to you uses this as a wedge to break in and slowly "rehabilitate you" as it where. Naturally you grow close to her and eventually she takes it upon herself to teach you a bit of her magic ability. Perhaps she's a priestess to some religion. someone who has discovered psionic secrets or is practice in ancient arcane secrets. It matters not. What she found in you was a spirit much like her own and someone she could feel comfortable passing her teachings onto.

Through her encouragement you begin to find ways of blending your love of fashion and high society with your new found esoteric knowledge; fabrics that shimmer in resplendid colors based on the seasons. Flower dresses made from real and living plants. However this comes to another hurdle as your father fully intended you to succeed him and will not indulge your love of fashion. As such, in spite of your change you part ways with him knowing full well that you have a dream, a goal, and a passion that will not go unsated. And while you are cut off from the wealth you once had you now take life and your dreams in your own hands as a mercenary hoping to build the capital to fund your own business but is even that truly what you want?

You do know that modeling could just be an internet that they have, right? It doesn't need to be the main aspect tying all their interests together. Seems very inorganic when that happens.

Your right but the user seemed to have that be a core aspect of their character so that's what I went with.

Similarly, they could have some kind of egineering skill and still be a mystic because daughter of heavy industry magnate.

Spend 1 Resolve for +1 to one Reflex save. Fuck that shit, I don't see the point. The speed boost might be handy, but it seems like Resolve is gonna be pretty important, and that bonus is laughable. Or maybe recovering Resolve is going to be easier than so far implied?

Augmentations are probably going to be standard on a lot of enemies, so I guess they wanted to avoid PC's literally ripping their opponents apart to get at the loot.

>showing previews for some dumb shit nobody cares about
>instead of the other classes or any of the races

FUCK

It's not huge jumps, though. It's not +4 to stats, it's +1 to 4 stats, or +2 if the stat is low. It's a gradual increase, not a sudden boost.

Dwarves aren't a core option in Starfinder.

They're not core, but they are in the setting and usable, thanks to Paizo literally making a Home Depot setting

Well the issue is essentially the same to Kingmaker in that it's hard to excuse why you'd be doing a lot of the things you do, and akin to WH40kRP: Rogue Trader.

Why would I go do what the adventure wants me to do when I can just nuke it from orbit?

we knew they weren't going to show any new class previews this week after we didn't get anything on Monday. They like to show us the iconic, and then follow up with the class preview on friday.

Would be more gradual if it was spread out, desu.

>Dwarves aren't a core option in Starfinder.
Fucking blasphemers.

None of the PF races outside of humans are. They're all still in the corebook, but are relatively uncommon in the setting.

Starfinder's core races are human, lashunta, kasatha, shirren, ysoki, android, and vesk.

I kind of want to try adapting Phantasy Star Online into a campaign of some kind, but I don't remember there being much in the ways of plot or character interaction outside of Rico's messages.
Does anybody else think this is a neat idea and have ideas on how to expand it a bit?

This looks really interesting. I've never played pathfinder but this starfinder is definitely something I'd try out. For ships having a huge range would be really neat. Everything from the smallest scout or fighters to large dreadnoughts and carriers. Also having many different ones for each category would be good. I seen a couple games where they had a large variety on ship sizes but only a handful of each which is disappointing

Provide deets. Never played Phantasy Star so know little to nothing of it.

Starfinder isn't as grimderp as 40K. Whole lot of organizations made the jump and they won't take kindly to possibly blowing up their temples and followers, and this isn't mentioning that the other guys might have decent ships of their own.

Gotta do things like a Shadowrunner sometimes

Basic plot overview here phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Phantasy_Star_Online
For the main game, the only plot you really run into are message left behind by a character (Rico) who ends up merged with what's basically the BBEG. Other than that, it would just kind of be a dungeon crawl, which I suppose isn't that bad.
I suppose maybe I could make the messages left behind into interactive holograms that are able to be conversed with a bit?

Ah, I could also put in the side quests (though I think they were mostly fetch quests? it's been years) and have the players get back to the main ship city between areas.

Oh and here's an example of what I have to go off of dialogue-wise
pscave.com/pso/script/forest.shtml

It can be useful if the rules will allow retroactive spends.

The plot seems really simplistic. Was there something in particular you wanted to try and do with it?

No idea. The setting is somewhat similar to Starfinder which is what made me think of it. I'm not sure how to expand on it, either.

You could work it into the lead up of a campaign finisher. After your group have become someone known and respected they might get asked to accompany a corporate research team to a previously unknown planet that seems ripe with resources worth setting up permanent presence for. However, the act of mining has unleashed some kind of monster from pre-Gap times and is causing all sorts for problems and now your characters are having to literally fight the entire planet as a result.

Here's the main part of 'episode 2'. Maybe I could mash the two together somehow to add some substance
pscave.com/pso/script/centralcontrolarea.shtml

They will be in the CRB as a legacy race.

Are teleporters/transporters going to be a thing in Starfinder or are manual planetary landings still normal?

This the one of the very few official ships. The Starhive Drone Mk III. A smaller ship fabricated by shirren manufacturer Starhive. As befits their name, Drones are extremely common and used as freighters, personnel transports, light colonial defense vessels, and more. Despite the ships' mass production, Starhive takes a natural shirren pride in making sure each ship's iridescent paint job is unique.

Currently unknown. Probably not going to be star trek transporters.