/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Balgurff's Niece edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[UESRPG - P&P RPG] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit?usp=sharing
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.
No waifus/husbandos

Previous Kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

uestrpg.wixsite.com/home
youtube.com/watch?v=0J5gN1DwNDE
youtube.com/watch?v=27mB8verLK8
youtube.com/watch?v=k_mpaF5-SlU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I've been away from this threads for a few months, but I've been itching to come back for some more TeS comfyness lately.
Anything interesting happened here recently? Any new memes or projects?

Threadly reminder that the following make up the best possible sequel to TES
>game set in whole of Hammerfall, Daggerfall as a more traditional Breton city-state, Wayrest as a cosmopolitan center of authority, Balfiera as an independent elysium full of magic and embassies since this is where most of Tamriel-scale politics take place under the protection(and espionage) of the Direnni, and finally Anvil
>first expansion set in Falinesti, continuing the main quest, dealing with the consequences of the finale of main quest
>second expansion set in Stros M'kai, a more free questline concerning the Sload and mysteries of Pyandonea
>protagonist is a natural sword singer, trained to become an Ansei in order to lead Hammerfell to victory
>background conflict is Crowns(complete independence), some Forebears(become Imperial) and other Forebears(independent Hammerfell but in peace with the Dominion)
>lots of political intrigue going on, involving Crowns vs. Forebears pirates, warlords, mayors, industrialists
>redguard religion fully represented with its own variations
>ash'abah, reachmen and horse tribes are fully represented
>lots of dwemer ruins in Hammerfell
>travel system like in old Fallouts with randomly generated wilds offers a chance to get involved in random encounters
>all the crazy fashion, culture and architecture of these locations, updated from their TES2 versions. clothing and armor options are plentiful and charismatic.
>trade, political play and naval combat are meaningful game mechanics
>firearms and cannons are used, especially by forebear militia and legion
>crossbows, spears and other goodness
>melee combat has a duel function where you follow an enemy and interactively parry/block; like an ass.creed in fps, making the action more exciting for consoles
>main quest pits you as the new HoonDing,a swordsinger trained by the Ansei, you must save Hammerfell from Sep and some well meaning but mistaken Dwemer scholars(led by a rogue Psijic)

>sword singer
stopped reading there

What
is
CHIM
?

>new memes

why do people want the next game to be in niggerville so badly
and even worse with the swordsinging, treating it like its shouting with 'WE WUZ KANGZ' mixed in

Shut it. Next game is Goldcoast, Southern Hammerfell and Northern Valenwood to details a new war between the Dominion and the Empire.

Daily reminder that Homebrew TES adventures are the best thing you can do if you know the lore. You can be unoriginal as fuck as a DM, the lore does your job.

walk like a god and reshape the land

uestrpg.wixsite.com/home

May I ask why this isn't in the OP?

Because that's not what it is.
At all.

This poster is a right-wing SJW.

He is just as bad as left-wing SJWs.

He does not care about the actual quality of a game.

He merely cares about his agenda.

Do not let him into your hobby.

>natural born sword-singer
>firearms and cannons
Sounds like cancer senpai

Hey, tarot user from kalpas past here. This project has made me feel way more obsessed and crazy than usual. I decided to go with Zurin Arctus as Card I. The Magician (or in this case, "The Mage") has a table/altar with 4 objects/artifacts representing the 4 suites: the Sword, the Staff, the Pentacle, and the Chalice. These themselves symbolizing Air/Reason, Fire/Will, Earth/Material, and Water/Emotion respectively. Finding suitable TES analogs for the sword and staff are easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy (Chrysamere and the Staff of Magnus), but the other two suits have proven to be way more difficult to deal with.

Looking for the Pentacle, I combed through every amulet and ring in every game and only found the Necromancer's Amulet to be somewhat fitting, but I really was not satisfied with using it. It didn't seem appropriate to me, so I considered different options. The pentacle is a physical object inscribed or imbued with markings/energies with the intent to invoke some power within. It's a representation of the innate power in the material form we all have. Colossal soul gems, Great Welkynd Stone, and sigil stones seemed like they could be good matches, until I remembered the lexicons. They're objects literally inscribed with mystic intent, but their function is more to hold knowledge and memories. Memory! Like water! The lexicon now was an option for both the Chalice and Pentacle. If I place it as the chalice, a Great Welkynd might fit as the pentacle, but if I use it for the other, I wouldn't know what to use for the chalice. Azura's Star or some soul gem? It would make sense for Zurin to be working with these things during his Mantella/Numidium research.

Also, what would yall think his altar would look like? Ayleid-like? Dwemeri?

A friend of mine came up with this autistic idea for a story

>Teldrasil and the entity of the Night elf race is teleported to Morrowind, between Solstheim and Skyrim prior to WoA aftermatch
>is Tamirel Pre-Arena Circa 3E368 when Uriel VII became the emperor
>The Elves shows up as diplomats, pleading refuge and allegiance, as long as they learn more about this new world, they are experts in alchemy and herbs, also great archers, they are masters in illusion and restoration skills.
>NEs are far more suitable vessels for Hircine's Werebeasts experiments due to their nature and being greatly easy to corrupt with power, and Druidism(which may interest him a lot)
>They have a long lifespan on par with Altmer(1000 years old without magic)
>They are also long and forgotten Mer who ended up stranded in azeroth, they simply came back "home"

his idea was how they would influence the Empire and Tamriel during this time, from Arena til Skyrim, if everything would continue the same, or the events would be slightly changed for a "better or worse" outcome

also how the Named characters from the NE race would fare on this new strange and familiar world

What is the relationship between the lexicons and the Dwemer puzzle box

>firearms and cannons

Ew.

>duel function where you follow an enemy and interactively parry/block

So what, I fight enemies one at a time and don't ever really have to worry about getting overwhelmed? I'm supposed to be a sword-singer, where's my cool sword-singing moves that lets me take on plenty of guys at once?

>trade, political play and naval combat are all meaningful game mechanics

What does that even mean? I think you're trying to put too much into one game, especially when you also want representation of various factions, and have to include some sort of main questline where you're supposed to unite Hammerfell (not Hammerfall). People don't go into TES to be a merchant or sail a ship, and you can't have such fully fleshed-out sidequests without getting in the way of what you're trying to make the main story.

If you want Assassins Creed 4: Tamriel, that's fine, but that's not what I want.

Don't know much about tarot, but wouldn't the mantella itself be a good chalice? Especially since it's Zurin we're talking about.

>People don't go into TES to be a merchant or sail a ship
I'd love to be able to do that.

but its what people try to make it, like straight up says 'natural born sword singer trained by ansei' which isnt too different from the skyrim dragonborn
leftwing sjws co opted this series from the start, read some of mks old forum posts he was a white supporter of the black fucking panthers and it influenced the writing he did for tes:redguard
could be a good setup for a homebrew campaign

Terrible, user. Terrible.
Crossovers are inherently autistic.

Magician in tarot represents the spheres of intelligence and logic, so I would go with Dwemeri aesthetics

Anyone else feel too lazy to make the threads? I used to post the friday thread for a couple months.

yep

Veeky Forums dies sometimes

Which one of the great houses of Morrowind is best and why it is Telvanni

Well when threads last until thursday, doesn't really make sense to rush and make a thread just a day later

Imagine not turning yourself into a legless, levitating crustacean wizard jackoff.
Nothing to do but laze about in your NEETshroom, unlocking the secrets of the arcane and fucking with your servants

Just saw on PCG that some redditor's throwing a shitstorm because the dragons in the cardgame are 4-legged and "TES' dragons are 2-legged with wings ONLY K". It really did read like Skyrim was this complainer's first foray, but are any old fogeys around that remember whether dragons were always 2-legs back to the cameos in the older games?

The statue in ebonheart only has two legs

truth, forgot about that one.
there's all of one pic of Redguard's Nafaallilargus on the uesp, and it doesn't show enough to tell. google to the rescue.
looks like he was 2-legs too.
goddamnit Todd, read a book.

I think i took this screenshot on the crypt of hearts, but i don't remember...

That's not Redoran.

Metaphysical self-realization achieved by eliminating body thetans.

>Nothing to do but laze about in your NEETshroom, unlocking the secrets of the arcane and fucking with your servants

Literal heaven.

All I know is that Nafaalilargus and the Avatar of Akatosh were both two-legged. However, the four-legged dragon was a symbol at times...

See, I might disagree with you, but at least neither of us are Hlaalu.

After an intense 5 minutes of googling I can tell you that the guy sort of has a point as Peryite is the only dragon with four legs

Remember the Winterwound Tribunal? I left the caps on a dead computer.

Curved. Swords.
But seriously, because it's comparatively exotic, it'll sell like bacon in 2013 with all the racial controversy false flagging, and it might advance the story towards the Thalmor defeat.
Not to mention they can half-ass with Skyrim assets because Hammerfell had dwemer, they can do a Malacath-oriented DLC (ORSINIUM!), and who doesn't like samurai bedouins that are half Arabian Nights and half Arabian Days Inn?
>inb4 niggers
Khajiit are in Elsweyr, retard.

>sequel

Reminder that TES VI will be even more stripped-down than Skyrim was.

It won't have a skill system. Every starting character will be adept at doing everything, with a perk system just adding bonuses. There will be no difference between races except for a single perk.

Magicka and Stamina will be merged into a single stat. Magic will be based around 12 different spells (that's spells total, not magical effects) with the ones from Skyrim deemed by the 13yr old Cawadoody demographic to be useless and boring, like Detect Life and Light, being removed.

The game will add 'guns' in the form of wands and staves that work just like F4 guns and use soulgems as ammo. These will be the most effective way of attacking, with melee relegated to killing rats and other pests to save ammo.

Armour and clothes will be all-in-one sets without individual pieces. Rings and amulets will be merged into a single 'talisman' slot in a Diablo 2 style inventory. Carry weight will be eliminated as will encumberance.

Mods will only be available via Steam. Nexus et al will be DMCAed if they host free mods. Each mod will cost between $1 and $5. Modders will get paid 15% of that. The term 'mod' will be replaced with 'user-generated DLC'.

Post comfy Cyrodiil

>mods will only be available via Creation Kit

ftfy

Am I the only one that liked Cyrodiil as it ended up? It was cheap, sure, but I doubt they could have really pulled off the exotic picture they'd painted pre-Oblivion, and at least the cities had a sense of scale.

They could easily have pulled it off with the same game engine. Southern Nibenay was already basically a sub-tropical rainforest. Exotic clothing and tatoos, a clear difference between Colovia and Nibenay, MW/Skyrim style Legion gear, more interesting architecture, a more vibrant merchant quarter, lots or religious cults - all that would be simple, it's just a matter of art direction.

Instead they went for a completely middle-of-the-road Eurofantasy setting full of fat elves talking to chinless humans about the mudcrabs they saw the other day. Bethesda wanted a nice pastoral landscape to contrast with the fire and machinery of Mehrunes Sauron and try to be in the same light as the recent LotR films.

There were some parts of the game that were pretty - elven ruins, the look of the Imperial City, the Gold Coast. They were pretty but still boring. Literally the one and only creatively interesting part in the entirety of Oblivion was the Shivering Isles, which I believe was actually made by a different team to the main game.

go back to /v/ and /tesg/ you circlejerk asshole

sounds good, but it would be the same shit, only that Tamriel has now a new Mer Race that inst a utter dick, unless you're magic wielder like the Altmer.

You forgot

>Voiced Redguard protagonist

Any idea who's going to be doing the concept art for the next game?

Man, one thing I really miss about all these tall things in the world is being able to get on top of them.
Looking up is nice, but looking down gives a whole different perspective on height.

You are the reason games suck.

That wall is too high, that city would a dark and moist pity for most of the day.

Care to elaborate on that? I don't see how being restricted on where you can go somehow makes a game better.

Climbing on top of buildings that offer real and viable means to complete an objective is good, welcome addition to game-play. There is nothing to be added by climbing every last detail, like the walls of the Imperial City. Climbing things for a 'view' in video games is redundant and of no major worth.

The final secret of Scientology.

Am I being memed?
Surely you don't believe limiting player control is a good thing, where exploration should only be possible for quest-related reasons?
Hell, you don't have to just climb, you could jump or levitate there too.

You're the reason we don't have Mark, Recall, Levitate or Jump any more, and you're also the reason Solitude is smaller than Balmora.

No, there was a real need for those spells, the game was largely open world and put together quite easily with insane distances and no means of fast travel. When the game world is simplified beyond reckoning like Oblivion, Skyrim and ESO, there is no objective need, want or reason to climb to the top of the tower or have athletics skill as they are made redundant.

If they are tied in to a realistic gaming experience, like Morrowind, remove the ability to fast travel and actually require the need to climb and explore, that stuff is good. Rather than wandering in to generic forest X and finding obligatory quest dungeon, doing that and fast travelling their and back.

So I'm not allowed to travel vertically because later games made traveling horizontally instantaneous?
Excuse me?

You can't travel vertically because you're fat.

FUCK

Why are manmer mongrels so damn great?

Not that user, but the way I see it, in Morrowind you had legitimate reasons for trying to get higher at certain points - a lot of buildings would have an upper entrance, or even just getting the stuff in the tree stump in Sedya Neen would require a little jumping or falling from the lighthouse. Sometimes there'd be a cliff or something, and I'd go 'wouldn't it be easier to jump up than try to find the proper entrance?' And these were devs not to far gone from Daggerfall and its ideas of being athletic, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were working off that model somewhat.

But games like Oblivion and Skyrim, they obviously wanted to cut that out a bit. I can't be sure why - maybe it was because they wanted more complicated AI than in Morrowind. Even today, NPCs don't know how to jump - followers and chasing enemies wouldn't be able to handle levitation or anything like that. Maybe it was an attempt to limit perception/movement to a certain few angles - if the devs don't want to waste time making sure every rooftop is traversible or every view looks good, they'd probably cut out the middleman, dumb things down so you don't really ever have a need to move vertically much - it's all straightforward, or there's definitely some stairs for you there. And if you still just want to get up there for fun, there's always console commands - but you'd really only do that for the view or if you were going to ignore mechanics anyway, right?

>Good at magic
>Not elves

Their lore is eh, and they are the settings second biggest dorks after Bosmer, but this why I always play one for my mage playthrough.

Doesn't Hammerfall already have its own game

For real though, what gimmick mechanic do you think will replace Dragons and Dragon Shouts in Tes VI? They will have to have something every game now.

is it true that pelinal was made by the altmer because of how badly the thalmor fucked up reality when they "won"?
that's an oversimplification of what i heard, but still

I thought the prevailing theory was that he was sent back in time by Reman Cyrodiil. Ive never heard this one though, sounds interesting.

>tfw Imperials are my favorite race
>Cyrodiil and everything related to Imperials are forever going to be known as super generic thanks to Oblivion and beyond

At least they got the Roman flavor back in Skyrim. Is there a lore explanation for the Armor change in Oblivion?

>Hammerfall

Please stop.

There's no lore on the armor change. It's simply a stylistic direction they took for TES IV: H̶i̶g̶h̶r̶o̶c̶k̶ Oblivion

My head canon was that the armor for the legion during the 3rd era was not homogeneous and likely varied depending on the region. That's why in Morrowind you see a lot of different varieties of legion armors. Both to suit operations in different climates and also a pageantry of Imperial wealth to show off to the tribal Dunmer. In Cyrodiil I imagine the legion hadn't faced any large scale insurrection before the Oblivion crisis so the legion fulfilled more of a policing role. Heavy armor made sense in this regard cause a single legionnaire in heavy armor could clear out a bandit den. More about function than form.

I don't think one is really ever given. If I had to make a guess - beyond just the bitter idea that they wanted to make things look more like Lord of the Rings - it's because Cyrodiil is the Imperial heartland, and they're going to be greedy and get the best equipment for the Legion that's guarding their province compared to all the rest, giving them plate armor and silver swords.

You could also make an argument that the Legion equipment we see in Morrowind and Skyrim is their 'outlander' outfit, a very visible way of showing an Imperial connection that isn't really needed in Cyrodiil itself - in Skyrim and in Resdayn the Imperials are outsiders and set themselves apart in their loyalties. It's not too strange for foreign occupiers or loyalist forces to want to set themselves apart from anyone else.

Sword Singing, Hist Mutations, etc.

The armor change as not the only major hiccup.

Im hoping for ships and sea monsters

Do you think Bethesda would get in trouble for making a piraty TES?

youtube.com/watch?v=0J5gN1DwNDE

youtube.com/watch?v=27mB8verLK8

youtube.com/watch?v=k_mpaF5-SlU

They already made TES: Pirates. It's called "The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard".

Reminder that firearms are unnecessary in Tamriel.

Friendly reminder that Redguards using canons is fucking cannon and makes a lot of sense considering their distrust towards mages.

Friendly reminder that cannons are very rare, handheld guns STILL don't have a place, and getting this buttmad so quickly makes you look like a faggot.

>Balfiera as an independent elysium full of magic and embassies since this is where most of Tamriel-scale politics take place under the protection(and espionage) of the Direnni
This is literally the opposite of what they would do. The Direnni are incredibly isolationist. Balfiera is itself borderline uninhabited.

Ignoring parts of the lore that we don't like is what makes us TES fans.

I would have preferred more varied climates but I don't mind the temperate paradise that is the heartlands

I definitely think a return the Iliac Bay would be justified, seeing as how much the games and lore have changed since Daggerfall.

No excuse to not do 2 providences with modern technology. They probably wont though because modern Bethesda is lazy af.

Yeah I'm looking at this thread with people bitching about canons and I'm like the fuck? It already exists, why are they bitching?
But then I see people upset about hammerfell being niggers and trying to argue removing levitation is a good thing, so I guess we're still pretty Veeky Forums this weekend.

One thing they need to do in Skyblivion is add some more small settlements and outskirts to cities. Skyrims Cities may have been tiny, but at least people lived and moved about outside the walls.

I personally don't really have a problem with Redguards having rare naval cannons, there's only like two of the bastards in existence. But honestly adding muskets and shit is pretty retarded and unnecessary imo.

>Redguards having rare naval cannons, there's only like two of the bastards in existence
No.
>adding muskets and shit is pretty retarded and unnecessary
Yes.

I'd think that only really rich and successful sailing companies and pirate bands would have access to cannons.

I think people don't understand learning magic, like learning anything, is fucking hard.
While I don't think they would be widespread like what happens in irl gun history, since we already have crossbows and canons, I could definitely see guns being like a highclass luxury item, each being unique since there's no standardization and would be a mix of said crossbows and canons.

>trying to argue removing levitation is a good thing
No, my happiness about this thread just died

Lore aside, historically accurate firearms would not fit in with the gameplay of TES at all. Guns work in a setting made for strategy and wargames, not so much for solo adventuring. And more modern or steampunk magic ones would just be stupid.

>And more modern or steampunk magic ones would just be stupid.
I don't know if you've ever played skyrim, but staves in that game are quite literally magic guns.

Maybe not rifles. But a brace of pistols as a "daedric" equivalent? Fire once each, then they take a billion years to reload. But they're pretty good at killing armored foes.

Also this

I don't know man. For some reason the existence of firearms in the universe at all would just make me uncomfortable. I don't know if anyone else feels the same way, but the looming threat of TES becoming like WoW in that case rustles my jimmies.

I meant shit like this, not staffs that shoot fireballs

And you cant really have pistols without rifles, and bethesda has never been one to include a weapon in the game thats not intended for the player to use.

No, I get not liking firearms in tes. Until technology or them vastly improves, they're simply inferior in pretty much every circumstance to magic.
What I'm taking issue with is people like
acting like dickheads because they forgot canons are cannon, but instead of admitting they fucked up, they try and paint the other guy as "buttmad" like this is /v/ or something and they must protect their precious user identity.
I don't want guns to be prominent in tes. But that doesn't make them impossible. It just makes them redundant at best, inferior most likely.