Pros:
>Great builders of fortifications, especially underground
>Great weapon smiths, most should have masterwork weaponry
>Sturdy
>Long lived

Cons:
>Slow, can be kited to death
>Basically useless in any open terrain

Are Dwarves at all capable to exist outside their underground cities where they have all the advantages (assuming they do not build 20x20 ft large corridors to allow dragons to roast them alive)?

There's a reason they prefer to stay in their tunnels.

Of course, OP. They just build above-ground forts where they have all the advantages.

>can be kited to death
explain to me how you kite someone with a gun to death.

They could probably use there sturdiness to brake lines and slowly advance through some armies, but really they need some mounts to fight well above ground (Which if we use dwarf fortress logic, could be quite a few animals, like giant cave spiders, dragons, rocs and scariest of all - elephants)

Hit and run works even when you add guns

>fantasy setting
>gun

One option is steamy pile of feces and you know which one.

ur right. dwarves in space is the only true winner here.

Yes, they can, but they have difficulties that prevent them conquering all the things, just like everyone else

Dwarves are pretty much the destined winners of any Fantasy WW1

>Crossbows
Problem resolved.

damn nigga. got me here.

There's a reason they generally live in interconnected fortresses, and why they and elves are seen as opposite powers.

Missing some of the real Dwarf cons

>Stubborn to a fault
>Slow to adapt
>Greedy

And yes Dwarfs could exist on the surface if they were able to design heavy war machines. Doesn't matter how slow you are when you can launch projectiles hundreds of yards.

Those sure helped against the Mongols.

Castles worked wonders against the Steppe hordes, and I imagine Dwarves would build some impressive castles

But user, don't they have gyrocopters?

>2cats

yes, it's the "fantasy setting" one, why are you asking?

If you say this while having medieval plate armour in your setting you should be executed.

>tfw most people don't know where "bulletproof" came from

Depends on how much emphasis you put on their physique hampering them. I just imagine the average dorf as being about 120-155cm-ish tall with proportionally sturdier and wider anatomy than humans.
They would move slower than human foot soldiers but I don't think it would have that much of an impact.

>He DOESN'T like farmer Giles of Ham.
Everyone, point and laugh at the pleb.

>kited
>dwarfs have crossbows, cannons, catapults, grycopters and handgunners. and if we are talking age of sigmar theres ones with airships.

Nah its more like
Pros:
>Adept at metalurgy and sturdy as hell, so their footsoldiers will be able to wear armor that would make a human huff after a few minutes, for hours.
>Fiscally gifted, the large dwarben nose can sniff out a good vein of metal even above ground, also beer
>Ingenuity and mechanical production prowes is almost unchallanged
>Very stubborn, they prefer to go with honor than to run away if possible.
Cons:
>Unwilling to change things up, the dwarven way is the only way
>Greedy, there's other ways to appease your ancestors, like a nice donation to their grave keeper.
>They probably take all their stuff from the gnomes and call it their own
>Very stubborn, they prefer to go with honor than run away
Overall great pike and shot troopers, they loose out at conventional warfare and simply moving around their armies is the smartest choice, as long as you don't have to take over their forts.

there was a time where armor was made thicker to resist the fire of early guns.

Space Dorfs when?

>>Unwilling to change things up, the dwarven way is the only way
I thought Dwarves were seen as inventive, due to them having massive smiths, forges and being the inventor of muskets in most fantasy settings that have them.

Sure, but only when invented by dwarves.
Forr instance, if humans invent steel the dwarves will keep using iron until they figure out how to make dwarven steel or even use steel at all and instead invent a new alloy.

It leads to both a surprising strive for ingenuity, imagination and perfection but also bottlenecks them and can leave entire metropolises dying out because they hit a dead end or simply worse off.