How Do You Kill (A) God?

I want to give the antagonist in an upcoming fantasy campaign I'm writing this goal, but I'm not sure how they will go about destroying a divine being.
Given enough time and resources, what possible methods could there be to kill a deity, for varing levels of 'God'? Gods have been depicted differently in fiction and religion, ranging from powerful corporeal entities to omnipotent creators of the universe. How would you attempt to kill one, given it possesses a certain level of power?
I was inspired by Isaac Asmiov's short story, The Last Answer. thrivenotes.com/the-last-answer/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ce9J-J30B3o
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fly up and reverse-piledrive him down to Earth. The fall should cripple him at least.

Is that a reference to the Ballad of Mike Haggar?
youtube.com/watch?v=ce9J-J30B3o

Depends on the deity, but if you don't want to go with the "have everyone forget them because gods require prayers" idea, somehow acquiring a weapon that goes beyond their celestial abilities. You know, a weapon that goes against reality itself.

This is usually how I do it. It's not "power enough to destroy a god." It's "power that interferes with the world on a conceptual level, such that it can even affect a god."

A weapon forged by the god of death?

In general my go-to would be to get another roughly equivalent god to help. Not outright, but just to get the needed information or resources. For example if you wanted to kill Balder you could go to Loki and learn from him that mistletoe could do the job. I like to think that most powerful beings have some sort of esoteric spell or artifact that can cause some trouble for them.

You need a tangible God for that.
You need first to write down how your gods work, where their powers come from, how were they born, how do they interact with mortals, etc.
You can't kill a god when it's unreachable or you can't even prove that it exists.

I just had an idea, though.
Imagine: how would the characters of a videogame kill the player who is playing the game?
First they need to realize somehow that they're in a virtual world and there's a powerful being from a completely different plane of existence who is observing and controlling them by directly manipulating the fabric of their virtual world.
Then they need to find a way to reach that being. They could try and control a proxy that exists in the same plane as the player ( ie. A robot that could be controlled by the game characters to reach the player ) and use it to interact with him.
Or doing it by finding how the player observes them ( the screen the player is using ) and trying to communicate with the player thought it. Or maybe they could rationalize that by directly interacting with the player, they would only call even more attention and instead they try to make the game boring, so the player stops playing it ( unknowingly dooming themselves to nonexistence once the player turns off the videogames ).

Translate that narrative to a fantasy ( or not ) setting where people are trying to destroy god and there you go.

Sorry, I'm typing from my phone.

Epic level PC's are usually good enough for anything up to intermediate diety. But a Greater Deity can and will fuck them.

In effect, fighting gods requires only the best of equipment published material has to offer and templates stacked out the ass.

And this is ONLY what is available barring using the Deity in an encounter, opposed to the deity being dynamic with planning strategy and how it goes about combat, with salient abilities, it's defautl abilities and every tidbit of lore at one's disposal that has shown what a deity can do.

One of the more important things to note about D&D deities is that they can use their powers to effectively "Skip" cause and effect in many instances though not often without unforseen consequences, namely ones that come apparent if the deity dies.

To note, the following things justify or let you kill deities in D&D-
The Last word, a fucking deity issued killphrase that Orcus, Demon Prince of the Undead still has and would be able to use without penalty if he ever became a god for the third fucking time in a row.
A deities blood turned into posion
Any established deity death methods, even if they're from mythology should be re-applicable
Massive enemy spam, namely Demons and undead
Having the Elder Evil or Demon Lord Template, to note, there is a layer of the Abyss up for grabs that if you get, you can cast aligned spells without limitation, which then leads on to all you can earn as a Demon Lord by stealing Orcus's wand to become one, and following a questline which has you fucking kill Demogorgon, gaining his title and the powers that come with it as the Prince of Demons, so there's a pretty neat canonical package right then and there.
Earning the assistance of an Elder Evil
Being a Vampire with a fucking clue
Having established anti-deity weapons, like a modified Silver Hourglass
Being a fucking Cancer Mage and freeing Tharizduun.
killing the deities faith and following, or forcing one into avatar form to kill

In addition to the intrigues of religious warfare, and the avatar kill-rule, one can effectively energy drain the divinity out of a god through ritual, or a device, noted in Vecna's deific research and in the Silver Hourglass questline if such an outsider is caught sufficiently. Learning a deities truename is also in the realm of the possible.

Nuclear explosions, Black holes, getting thrown into the sun, sphere's of annihilation, overexposure to nastier natural hazards such as the Far Realm and the plane of negative energy, or a Trip to the wrong layer of the Abyss can all but spell the demise of a power, but as that one epic questline involving the use of a Scarab beetle grafted with black onyx for a Vermin lord to use to posses an angel, go to the upper planes and posses a power presented, the likeness of microscopic and the intricacies of scientific detail can be used against gods.

Lastly, being a soul eater poses a threat to deity kind, noted in Neverwinter nights where the PC can become fullblown Elder Evil, kill off a slew of powers, and leaves to probably meet the parallel world Great Old One Tharizduun, and other cosmic horror issued recreational activity.

Oh right, a more important intrigue of D&D is becoming a deity through a large following, though FR is limited to the portfolio system so one is up shit creek without a paddle.

Lastly, easier routes to power involve Dragons because they can literally become demigods via a PrC, and have such a slew of lore that It could take months to trudge through until one comes across morsels of important lore on deities.

Easiest path to god hood is of course, what is provided as an epic level class, and what is on offer for dragons I think through a mass following, the like of a tharllherd and whatever that PrC which I cannot remember the name of would compliment the rise to deification greatly, next to other potential stackings of followers to help you become a god.

The more funky way of godhood is pulling a Vecna and using the Rules of Epic-spell research with the use of Lich-Power rituals, which if to any indication, show mixed rates of success with the majority ending in the user exploding, rejuvanating and exploding some more in an endless cycle of net gains by blowing themselves up, because this is a thing that Vecna did his entire career, and it has worked that even Accerak tried it, but just blew up so hard he fell out of reality.

Cancer Mages, also known as the muscle wizard already have leagues of avenues to deification, but the most nasty is the fact that their ability to ignore the negative effects of any affliction means they could contract the likeness of Corruptions from planes malign to become a god, demon lord, cosmic horror, or enjoy the pleasures of high meat (Speciallly prepared carrion that gets you fucking high as fuck) but, effectively, a Cancer mage could, over the period of days, EAT AN ATROPAL SCION and make a claim for godhood through such a method because he isn't bothered in the slightest by things like kuru and degenerate cannibal diseases, potentially ganing insight bloodborne style from eating abberation flesh.

kick him in the balls.

do it hard enough and you can kill anything

Shoot at it until it dies.

Then we've Jesters, an incredibly powerful in canon profession of jugglers of projectiles and projectile redirection, joke wars with other jester's via jests to splicing in somantic components in well played jokes as a part of an already existing bluff-check feature or to cast Power Word kill to make an audience effectively laugh to death, per a story in canon FR shown in comics and the multiple times the class appeared, or reanimate the subjects skeleton despite being barred from the school of necromancy as a giant siege skeleton that shoots fireballs and nearly destroys all of waterdeep, next to debuffing opponents with your verbal skill and getting a PrC which LITERALLY SAYS IN IT'S DESCRIPTION THAT THE TOP LEVEL JESTERS GAIN THE ATTENTION OF OUTSIDERS AND MAKE SO MUCH MONEY AND LOOT ADVENTURING SEEMS NIGH POINTLESS.

And the cherry on top of this cream pie? Immune to the very concept of insanity, waltz right the fuck into the Far Realm and say Bazinga, and observe a cosmic keknitude unknown to mortal mind, make the Great Old Ones experience the elation of humour, and to top it off, you can draw WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT out of a Deck of Many X (Quite a few of these, there's the original, the extended version, and one that is the Deck of Portals or something.)

So, yeah, become fucking Cegorach why don't you? D&D Jesters are out for fucking power man.

In 3.5 there's a fucking Base Jester Class AND a PrC one, the PrC giving you the mad perks to Performances to earn more than what the Dungeon you just visited was worth, with the chance of being whisked to a far off plane to entertain some outsider for shitloads of rewards to be graced with, and the use of the hidden spells thing.

Demiplane abuse, or psychological fuckery (difficult due to how deities are aware of the mortal realms) may also contribute to a deities downfall, especially if you can get the Dark Powers of Ravenloft interested in the subject to whisk him off to a nice cosy Doamin there, despite the new World Serpent Inn backdoor introduced in 3.5 there.

- convince/trick another god kill it
- find and use an artifact capable of killing it
- If the God depends on the fate of a sect, destroy the sect

This is awesome, lots of ideas here.

Hey I remember you ranting about Death and Orcus in another thread a few weeks ago. I like you user.

Exactly. It's a solid shtick to go with, and it has a lot of interesting possibilities.

Rip and tear, but really really hard

What a fool you are. I'm a god. How can you kill a god? What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive? There is no escape. No Recall or Intervention can work in this place. Come. Lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy.

>Being a vampire with a fucking clue

The fuck does this mean?

Godhood is a title given by the faithful, not an intrinsic quality. Regardless of whether it's got a lot of power, end its faith and it is no longer a god.

>all games are my brain-damaging skirmish-wargame-based-garbage
Fuck you, wretch.

God is dead. Only the Conquerors can inherit the world. Reach Heaven Through Violence

Preacher did it in a pretty cool way. First, you need an incredibly overpowered weapon and an incredibly overpowered person to wield said weapon, but even that's not enough. You also gotta go through a whole lot of bullshit to lure God away from their throne since they are completely omnipotent while on that thing.

Is that a real omnipotent God? Just hope he bullshits himself out of existence (and even then it's unlikely). Is that your usual "god-but not really"? Then just apply enough either magic or kinetic energy. One of those should do the trick.

>Is that a real omnipotent God? Just hope he bullshits himself out of existence (and even then it's unlikely). Is that your usual "god-but not really"? Then just apply enough either magic or kinetic energy. One of those should do the trick.
godly get and /thread

> How does you kill a god
Careful planning, calculated cunning and a huge pool of resource.

you can kill a god, but those quads are invincible