Can we have an unusual races thread...

Can we have an unusual races thread? I'm planning for a couple campaigns right now and I need something other than the standards to fill out my rosters.

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/List_of_D&D_PC_Races),
twitter.com/AnonBabble

We just had one, check the archive. There should be a couple of ideas you find cool.

>Can we have an unusual races thread?
No, you can't.

Baxxid are currently my favorite strange fantasy species. Huge 6- eyed, bone-snake-wyrms with giant murder-claws, that are shy and timid things that get easily embarrassed.

Have you tried not being a contrarian?

Hurry! Someone post Sergals and tank this thread!

Have you tried not being a faggot? How is wanting something unusual being a contrarian?

They're not unusual at this point.

nigga your setting best have bug people

Do Gargoyles inspired by beetles, mantis, and moths count?

You know it. More, if you count crustaceans as bugs

Hitmonlee?

Probably

Rock people a best

I like simple but rarely used races; like wolf people.

I like races that have traits of familiar things without flat out being "anthropomorphic X"

Squideer?

>alien thread
>full of just "furry humans with weird heads"

How unusual is "unusual"? D&D has actually done a lot of weird shit, from polar halflings to neanderthals to 18" tall amazons to elf-ogre hybrids to Skeksis to philosopher-priest giant owls to treants, and that's just a small selection off the top of my head.

Nice reaction image, actually haven't seen that one before

Comic looks kinda fun. Is it any good?
Source?

I miss old veno...

It's a bonus comic for Saffron and Sage, by the artist of Comicide. Both are available at SaffronComic.com

>Posting venomancer
>A Human that was turned to a plant thing, and still Terran.
user. Ya gotta bring more to the table if you are going to complain.

Oooh look that shitty Tumblr design mindset

Queer-looking furries with chicken legs and coloured tongues wooow so unusual and original

Seems like you can't buy talent eh

All these shitty modified humans, we need some proper fucking aliens.
Have a Martian.

I knew someone was gonna complain about that.

AND YET he's STILL more alien then the actual aliens in this thread!
^^

Also, if you're willing to ignore the stigma Veeky Forums tends to give beastfolk races, despite their long history in RPGs (check out this list and see how many races boil down to "variant demihuman", "monstrous humanoid" and "beastfolk" - 1d4chan.org/wiki/List_of_D&D_PC_Races), then you can probably come up with some pretty unusual races.

For example, what about borrowing from the tale of the Mares of Diomedes and creating a culture of matriarchal/amazonian carnivorous and/or cannibalistic horse-people?

Denied.

All these shitty humans with extra bits glued on, shameful. Have a martian.
Also got text examples if they're acceptable

Wow, it's a Grell.

great, now I want to fuck a rock

I know this feel all too well.

Shit, that's actually kind of cute.

What is this from? Looks like the artist from Prophet but it's not that comic.

SNAKE?

some deviantart guy who likes doing weird alien biology. It's pretty good. Sorry, but I don't have the artist name.

I mean, in a generic TTRPG context, you usually want player races to be humanoid enough to use similar equipment. NPC races can be whatevs tho i guess

>Unusual race thread.
>All the furries start stealthposting.

Nessus is CUTE! CUTE!

And Veeky Forums says the furries are a non-issue

Fuck off, 40kids

Abiogenesis is the artist. His focus is the alien race he made up called the Birrin, and all the assorted biology/ecology/history of their planet.

>g-get out of my fetish thread i-it's supposed to be my safespace!

Faggot

Thank you.

Thanks for starting this thread, OP, I'm actually looking for some ideas for alien races and this does help a little. I don't have much for pictures but some things I have so far include:

>Colonial hive-mind/empathic coral mass
Technically, they're more like a mass of polyps enveloped in a moisture preserving membrane. They can form tendrils, fuse, and split colonies almost at will, and their collective intelligence has been enough that they've discovered intergalactic travel to find ideal waters. Despite being so amorphous, their empathic powers made them quickly able to understand humans and us them in kind. Their empathic abilities also mean their masses will take on some traits of other sapient life forms they encounter.

>Axolotl, octopus, electric eels
Basically, a pale, serpentine amphibious race which possess a quartet of tentacle limbs sprouting from the mantel around their neck. They can deliver low-power (doesn't feel worse than a static jolt) shock to things they touch in the surface. In their copper, iron, and sodium rich native waters though, these shocks are powerful against their prey. They've also learned to use these electrical discharges as a form of communication

>Tripods
Inspired a bit by War of the Worlds, these creatures have a three-limbed cephalopod-like larval state and eventually turn into towering tripodial spider-esque creatures with a singular eye divided into three segments. Each limb can be used for both movement and to grip things with (you guessed it) a tri-radial, tri-jointed pincer.

Still working out a name for them.

can't link pics now but check out Mechanical Dream's offerings

>paper dragon

I mean you CAN just hide the thread, so I don't see how this is an issue...

Why do you hate creativity?

telepathic nose lump?

Hail the Right-hand people

>When waifumancer is gone
ITS NOT FAIR.

Is this a Kroot that's eaten nothing but Tyranids? Even if it's not, it's fucking tops.

so you're from /an/ I see

Sure, let's go with that

Why does she have a bird torso for a nose?

I've started GM'ing a Zelda campaign recently and love working with the game's races, much more than stock fantasy races.

Nah. It's from the primordial evo game from some time ago on Veeky Forums. The whole race/civ are baller as fuck

How do the polyps travel through space? How did they manage to build stuff and use fire? They sound like shape-shifting aquatic blobs.

Tell me about the sort of societies the eels and the tripods build. I hope these aren't monocultures - they don't sound over-specialized.

Nice. Also, cute.

The tripods sound like scaled down versions of the Elder Things.

>no wings
>radial symmetry with three segments instead of five
>more simplistic eye and limb structure

Did you say moth people?

Because I heard fucking moth people.

>Man-Drake
>a man covered in male ducks(drakes)
fuck

>All those terrifying creatures, and the advanced tech behind them
Now I remember why the Geists were so scary

This, they can hide 1 thread if I can filter 15 40K threads.

I miss Bugworld. What ever appened to it and what became of the stuff from those threads

P. Much everything that dude came up with was as terrifying as it was amazing

These guys were cool, also

OP said "unusual races," never mentioned aliens.

The polyps, I admit, are a challenge at figuring out much deeper. I was thinking they might have begun to master metallurgic principles via careful manipulation of iron ores in close-to-surface volcanic vents on their homeworld.

As for eels and tripods (actually the polyps too) I don't imagine or want to write them and mono-cultural, but I'm still working out ideas.

I know that with the eels, there is a big cultural divide (and appearance split) between those who end up spending more time on land, more in the water, and those in between. It does vary a lot depending on which location on their homeworlds you encounter them.

But I do know, due to their pretty much boneless limbs and their ability to control small electric pulses from their hands, their weapons are completely incompatible with humans. (different ergonomics and because the firing mechanism relies on the 'electric impulse' ability)

I actually hadn't thought about that when I made them. I basically was roughly basing them off War of the Worlds Martians, then added in the 'tripodial insect/spider-crab' thing at the suggestion of a friend because it sounded kind of kickass to imagine the tripod fighting machines mirrored their 'adult' appearance.