Lions and Tigers and Dinosaurs, oh my!

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

Prehistoric thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=135226
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=29788)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

sorry, posted in the previous thread

Binding feels really unfun as a keyword. You also can't do much with it because of how much room you need for reminder text.

Representing telekinetics is kinda hard. As for this guy, he uses telekinesis basically as a substitute for the standard super powers, flight, super strength, and super durability.

Giving abilities specifically to creatures with no abilities just seems incredibly awkward.

I still like this one, even though I'm not a fan of Fateful Hour at all.

I made a cute.

Binding X
>Creatures can't attack you unless their controller pays X for each creature they control that's attacking you.

Feels really weak.

R8

What happens if a target gains hexproof while the spell is on the stack?

If it was the only target of the spell, the spell gets countered and ALL effects don't happen.

If there were more targets, it works normally to all other targets (but not for the creature that gain hexproof)

PS: this happens with any targeting that becomes invalid, so Protection from @ would also behave the same way

Artwork and practicality aside (it's not like you know what the symbols mean), do you find this card layout appealing ?
I was planning to make generic card game #31785 for me and friends and I'd like having some feedback from the pleb

I'd say reduce this to 2R and make it a 2/2, then change it's Primal to give +2/+0.

Should be written:
When ~ enters the battlefield, create a 3/3 green Dinosaur creature token.

I like the synergy of it's second ability with itself.

Cool mechanic/keyword.

Cool use of fateful hour.

The cost for removing a binding counter is way too high. It also doesn't belong in green. White and Blue, yeah, maybe Red if you want to stretch it thin, but definitely not green.

Might want to just give it
>GG: ~ gains indestructible and hexproof until end of turn.

Or regenerate and hexproof if you're just going for old school.

>Look at the top X cards of your library. You may reveal any number of creature card from among them and put them into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

Not sure if this belongs at mythic, but it's good otherwise.

Seems incredibly weak. She's a 3 CMC walker with 1 loyalty.

+2 withers her protection so you can draw a card.

-4 is just bizarre and not very strong. No one is going to sac creatures to stop you from activating this unless they have throwaway tokens.

-10 is too weak, and it's unlikely that she'd never reach this, even with cards like doubling season out.

Opinions?

Interesting, but strange at the same time.

If you didn't already know, you can go to File -> Export -> Card Image to get a clean picture of your cards.

Feels like it will lead to boring board stalls.

Thanks, it's the first card I made, so I didnt have a clue what to do.
My Idea with this mechanic was, that as long as you dont fight, your City grows larger.

I really like this, they're situational but can be great
seems cool, i would change it to "during your combat phase" though
misses "from among them" and "put the other revealed cards back on top of your library", nice card as well

Why are you Capitalizing random Words in the Middle of Your Sentence?

Poorly designed.
At five mana, you're getting a PW with two loyalty. At seven, three loyalty. There's little reason to not cast her at X=1 (besides bolts) since the +2 exists, so the X cost might as well not be there. Compare to AKH Nissa, who's designed around the nature of the X cost.
Her +2's wither ability is optional, as it says "up to two target creatures," and somehow I doubt this was intentional. At best, this makes her a Bob alternative but not really.
The -4 is needlessly complex and poorly formatted.
There's formatting and spelling errors all over the place in general.
Captcha: bery unsuitable

What color do you guys think worldbuilding is? For DnD and the like?

I'm German mein Freund

My friends did a little contest once. Here were some of my entries. Themes in order were edible lands, noncreature artifact tokens, and The Bells by Edgar Allen Poe lol

I think this is a cool idea but it could use some re-tooling. A land that doesn't give mana is a steep price to pay for your mana base

This is really awful on a lot of levels. It's basically:
>B, Sacrificed a Creature, T: Add B to your mana pool.
Level 7+ is really just fluff.

Clever idea with spellbooks

I'm interested in choice mechanics because you can get away with a stronger card if your opponent has a say in how it resolves. eg. Vexing Devil.

Would this work and is it balanced?

What do you guys think of my card?

>common enchantment you need to tap

Stopped reading there

Interesting, though feels more green since it's effectively a lure.

I kinda was feeling that to but it feels like a more white card since it talks about always staying on guard and whatnot plus to always defend

Enchantments generally don't tap. Also the templating is archaic, it should read:

>T: Return a land you control to its owner's hand. You may put a land from your hand onto the battlefield.

>Whenever an Island enters the battlefield under your control, scry 1.

>Whenever a forest enters the battlefield under your control, target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.

Not again.

This is great. It'll see play by all the other kids. You better run it.

Tap ability is overly complex. As far as I can tell, you would get the same result by changing its text to that of Odric, Master Tactician. Except it's a tap ability instead of being whenever he attacks.

How's this for an enchantment?

Whenever a player would draw a card, if they've already drawn a card this turn, they exile that many cards from the top of their library instead.

Exile a card from your hand: put a card you own exiled with ~ into your hand. Activate this ability only once each turn, and only as a sorcery. Any player may activate this ability.

The last effect makes it overpowered. I'd remove that, or the "can't be destroyed by effects" and downscale to banishing 5 cards.

Beautiful.

>pay 7 life
Whoa. But yeah, it's fine.

This is basically a free 2x scry or +2/+2 every turn as long as you keep a land in hand, and you should because you have no reason to play it. Since you can tap a land, return it to hand to place a new one, and tap that one too this turn. So you have no reason to play the last land in your hand. Seems cheap/broken/weird but idk. Maybe only target untapped lands. Also,
>taps an enchantment

What an interesting and mindfucking card. But I like it.

I agree that this basically amounts to the same thing as Odric.

For a burn and just tap to draw for 2 mana, it seems too inexpensive. Try "1U, T: Draw a card."

scratch that, shoulda fixed this since freezing is blue and exiling is white

More cards from my set.

The wording is wrong. I believe it would be "At the beginning of your upkeep, put..." (and in another line). I think I would have it just one -1/-1 counter (not really a power adjustment, more like a personal preference). Also, to spice things up, the last ability could be "Pay half your life (rounded down): ".

Interesting. Probably a lot underpowered, but I think its nice the way it is.

Nice art!

Very complicated effect. I feel like you could achieve something similar and yet be less confusing. Check this out: gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=135226

Interesting. Though as a white/black, I would rather have it as "All _other_ creatures..."

Neat. I like it! What if it had flash?

Honest question here: why the hell are you using stasis counters, since they are completely irrelevant for the card? Try this:
"When Stasis Field enters the battlefield, tap up to X target lands. Those lands don't untap during their controller's untap step as long as Stasis Field is on the battlefield."

>When Stasis Field enters the battlefield, tap up to X target lands
A permanent forgets what X was when it was cast.

>why the hell are you using stasis counters, since they are completely irrelevant for the card?

Would having artifact tokens on the field with, say, 3 effects that you can pay to have "grafted' on to spells be too complicated and board cluttery in limited? It wouldn't be a huge theme, just one faction mechanic, and I like this because it fits the flavor of a UR spontaneous, "creative" spell mechanic that integrates artifacts, but it feels maybe there could be too many options on board at once.

Card seems OK. but why call it a bard? With a title like that, I expect something like
>1R, T: Put a verse counter on ~.
>Attacking creatures you control get +1/+0 for each verse counter on ~.

This idea sounds very complex. But we can only properly evaluate it if we see it in action. Can you at least make a mockup of this mechanic?

Think the idea is that it inspires his troops or demotivates the enemies but it's kind of fast and loose. I expected a pump dude, but I expected a WR card.

Okay, I've seen your stuff before, with this "pay this mana but it's this color" theme you have, and I still don't really understand it. I can't really see a mechanical or thematic advantage, so I stand to be enlightened.

Closest thing I could find on a really quick search besides Stasis to this is Mole Worms, which taps down one land for as long as it remains tapped for 2B at uncommon. It's old, though (5th edition). This takes 4 mana to tap down one land, so that's okay. 6 to do two lands, 8 to do 3... etc etc. I feel like it's fine, if kinda nofun.

Hm. I feel like I agree with here and that it's a bit too cheap, since it's not really a drawback. You could slap this on a 2 mana 1/3, for example. I don't know if it needs to be 1U; maybe U, or maybe 2/U for the activated ability?

Pretty good flavor considering the colors and art, but the name leaves a bit to be desired, I feel. Bards are Clerics? Aren't they more like Rogues? Maybe this could be "Vicar of War" or something that sounds a bit more... religious?

>target creature gets on average +7/+0 until end of turn
For 6 mana... hm. Feels a bit weak, actually, considering that it offers no evasion or anything. Of course, it can also cause a blowout... so maybe it does need to be expensive. I don't think it's 6 mana expensive though. If it is, maybe at least go 5R to make it easier to cast?

A couple of mechanic ideas based on the idea of a Japanese-themed set that's not Kamigawa, or maybe pre-Kami War Kamigawa or something? I dunno, grorious Nihon plane or whatever. Just musing.

A bard is just a traveling entertainer. RPGS made him into a morale boosting support character.

Still not sure if this is overcosted or not. After I realized that this could also allow you to recur spells you cast earlier in the turn, I got kinda nervous and made it mythic and exile itself.

>I can't really see a mechanical or thematic advantage, so I stand to be enlightened.
I've spoken with him before about this. Don't hold your breath.

>cards
>Celestial Order
I... don't know what to think of this. I guess I'm kinda put-off though by random face-down mechanics though.

>Protective Bushi
Seems kinda narrow, and I really don't like the idea of a bunch of cards suddenly getting better by one of a hundred different cheap creatures with power 1 or 0, especially when it's not hard to find 0-cost creatures with low power.

>Serpentblood Hitokiri
Interesting idea, very good costing on Indestructible. Seems like an OK uncommon.

As for the setting, I recommend just making up a plane so you aren't constrained by Kamigawa. But in the end it's all up to you.

Emphasis on 1/1s doesn't feel like fun gameplay, especially since honorable doesn't work well with anthems.

One of the most flavorful battlemages possible.

Tried making a card, I don't think it can work. That's a lot of rules text for reminder text of a token.

>Celestial Order
I like messing with face-down mechanics. I figured it might be an interesting way to do "this creature's base P/T are 1/1" type stuff without memory issues or anything, while also playing somewhat nice with preexisting mechanics. What's off-putting about it, exactly? I'm game to make it better.

>Protective Bushi
I dunno, I kinda looked at it through the lens of Evolve and whatnot, where small stuff gets better as you play organically, and thought it might be nice to have a mechanic that makes playing/having weenies or something later in the game a bit less of a bummer without completely relying on token strategies. I'm also game to improve this, and by the sounds of you and , it needs it.

>Serpentblood Hitokiri
First card I made of the three, and thanks. I had this weird idea for an Ambush Viper+, found that art, decided that Asian Gorgons would be neat, and ran with it. Flavor I thought up was that they slaughtered Yamata no Orochi (the great 8-headded serpent god) and drank its blood, making theirs divine and poisonous (basically evil Japanese Super Soldier Serum or something). Yadda yadda snekpeepl.

And yeah, I think avoiding Kamigawa if I for some reason pursue this idiocy would be the best idea. I figured that maybe tossing Chinese stuff in there too might be neat, since it worked for Tarkir as well, and it restricts the limits on my worldbuilding a bit.

I'll see what I can come up with for Honorable and stuff. I wanted to avoid the Honor/Dishonor dichotomy after trying to make an "honor target/enchanted creature) action word and deciding it was dumb because it felt too parasitic. Dishonor at least works outside the bounds of the set, so that's got potential I think. I figured that making Honorable an ability word would be a good idea because if a creature is dishonored, it can't be honorable.

Actually, if I do do this shit, I'll try throwing SEA stuff in there instead of Chinese. That sounds more interesting to me. Or all three? I dunno I feel like people would gripe if I smashed literally every east Asian culture together into a melting pot of tropes.

Do whatever you want. But I will point out that Tarkir loosely based four of its five factions on Asian groups.

This is pretty cool, though I feel like it could maybe be a bit fatter? I mean it's got a pretty serious drawback and other colors get roughly similar bodies at that cost with more upsides. I feel like it could be 6/6, since you can't actually defend against it being stolen with blue's tricks. It's just really good at stealing it back. Maybe I'm totally wrong though; it's a hard card for me to gauge.

Fair enough. I don't know if I want to walk down the set road again though; I keep saying how I'll never do it again. And I doubt anyone would be that excited for it anyway.

I'm not a fan of stealing lands for this cheap, even if it's balanced between every player.

>Ajani, Vraska's escaped. Recruit a team of planeswalkers with attitude!

Banishing 10 really was too much. I'll take out "Cannot be destroyed by card effects." for now, but I think it's fine.

I feel like this card is too strong. Probably creates some for of loop/FTK with Firewall Dragon. Should I add that it can't be Special Summoned?

Changing both into "when this card is Normal Summoned" would balance it. Since this + coth and other resurrection cards is overpowered since you can just dump them into the graveyard and summon them from there and their effects will still trigger. Same goes with cards like firewall dragon. This basicall makes a better morphing jar and the best monarch.

The last effect of is too powerful. Either limit it to once/twice per turn, or make it so it cannot be Special Summoned. A 4800 ATK monster that can be Special Summoned without an effort and has no drawbacks is powerful on it's own, even without the last effect.

Thanks for the input. Would have posted this in the card game general that used to exist, but it doesn't exist anymore.

pic related

> I can't really see a mechanical or thematic advantage, so I stand to be enlightened.
It matches the rest of the set, both mechanically and flavor-wise. The set's lore is that it takes place mostly divided by two religions, one white-oriented and one black-oriented. Because of this, I want the set to feel like its unbalanced in favor of white and black, because its a plane where things are either one side or another. So I'm hoping with a bunch of cards like this on other colors (other than black and white), the set will carry on this feel.

Mechanically-wise, the set has many cards that are related with a permanent being either black or white, since its a war between both colors. This goes from simple "protection from black" to "T: destroy target white permanent". Basically, if there's a color in a text box, its either black or white.

Now, design-wise, I just think it looks cool, and its something that has never been done before in Magic, but I think could be done (by could be done I mean that its possible, not that wotc would do it). Its somehow related a bit with Chaos Planar's shifted cards, exploring the in-between of two colors.

> Celestial Order
"Dishonor" means turning it into a 1/1 morph? Do you use morph on your set?

> Protective Bushi
Underpowered, could be common.

> Serpentblood Hitokiri
At first I thought it was too strong, but then I saw Ambush Viper and realized its just an upgraded version. Also, boobies :D

Very cool!, but I'm not sure about the wording. Also, you should check whether it would return itself to your hand or not. If it wouldn't, you don't need the exile bit :)

I agree with . Very cool, but I would go for 6/6.

First of all, seems OP as fuck. Second, I believe that most graveyard-effects like this at least check whether you are really from that color (so that you don't break the colorpie). Check out the card "Anger".

, this from () was for you (forgot to tag you):
>It matches the rest of the set, both mechanically and flavor-wise. The set's lore is that it takes place mostly divided by two religions, one white-oriented and one black-oriented. Because of this, I want the set to feel like its unbalanced in favor of white and black, because its a plane where things are either one side or another. So I'm hoping with a bunch of cards like this on other colors (other than black and white), the set will carry on this feel.
>Mechanically-wise, the set has many cards that are related with a permanent being either black or white, since its a war between both colors. This goes from simple "protection from black" to "T: destroy target white permanent". Basically, if there's a color in a text box, its either black or white.
>Now, design-wise, I just think it looks cool, and its something that has never been done before in Magic, but I think could be done (by could be done I mean that its possible, not that wotc would do it). Its somehow related a bit with Chaos Planar's shifted cards, exploring the in-between of two colors.

have you seen the new movie? how shit is it? i wanted to see because i like the girl that does the yellow ranger

wished I could give you a feedback but I can't. Never played an eldrazi block, and never played yugioh.

I keep trying to preview cards before posting and I accidentally set them as my desktop background

Pretty sure this is the most streamlined I can get this card. And yes, Double Strike does make First Strike redundant when they're both on the same card, but I prefer this wording.

>pic related
Not him, but that's different, as it's an effect that occurs before the card actually enters the battlefield, ie. before it becomes a permanent. Which is precisely why it uses
>~ enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Rather than
>When ~ enters the battlefield, put X +1/+1 counters on it.
Your proposed wording for the card doesn't work because of this. Also, Quarantine Field.

>Very cool!, but I'm not sure about the wording. Also, you should check whether it would return itself to your hand or not. If it wouldn't, you don't need the exile bit :)
It wouldn't return itself, because the effect of the spell would resolve before the spell leaves the stack and gets put into a graveyard. I made it exile itself due to some fear that it could lead to some degenerate combo. I do think I overreacted though. I might just make it go on the bottom of the library or something.

>have you seen the new movie? how shit is it? i wanted to see because i like the girl that does the yellow ranger
Not him, but Metacritic says the critics gave it 44%, the audience 7.1 out of 10.

How the fuck does that happen?

>card
Hmm, interesting. I think I'd make the ability sorcery-speed though.

To combo it with this kind of cards.

I would go for:
> "1BG, Exile Haunted Remains from your graveyard: Shuffle your graveyard into your library."
Unless returning itself is a critical point of the card, of course.

I would make his first ability triggers only when he attacks. Right now, he is a lot better blocker than attacker, because he can block then already throw the knife and kill whatever he's blocking. (blocking is not much BR) Is that the intend?

> as it's an effect that occurs before the card actually enters the battlefield, ie. before it becomes a permanent
I was not aware about that difference there. Thanks for pointing it out.

> Not him, but Metacritic says the critics gave it 44%, the audience 7.1 out of 10.
I guess that means its a decent movie. I wouldn't expect any power ranger movie to be anywhere above 7 anyways. Might watch it then.

I'm not the other user, but the main problem of the movie is that it takes forever until we actually get a megazord vs monster fight. On the other hand, that's because they actually spend the rest of the movie with training, teenage drama, an having their asses kicked, so if you prefer that to giant robot battles, it's not an issue.

I mean, I can see why they did it. I'm not that bothered by it, but I was expecting more at least one more battle.

Quite underpowered. Muscle Burst (gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=29788) cost "less", is an Instant, and is common. But mostly, I would avoid doing a 2-mana +N/+N card like that, because there's one already.

I don't think it would ever work. Spells can only be targeted while they are on the stack. Enchantments (and any non-Instant non-Flashy card) can't be played if there's a spell on the stack. So you can never target any spells, making the card pointless.

Try this:
> As Miyya's Blessing enters the battlefield, name a card.
> Whenever you cast a spell with the chosen name, put a blessing counter on Miyya's Blessing.
Also, pure card draw is blue, not white. :)

>I would make his first ability triggers only when he attacks. Right now, he is a lot better blocker than attacker, because he can block then already throw the knife and kill whatever he's blocking. (blocking is not much BR) Is that the intend?
Yeah, the last version only triggered on attack. I'll change it back.

Seriously? Good god origin stories are starting to really piss me off. They take forever just to introduce the most basic concepts of the character(s), then barely have any time for anything interesting. I honestly think it's because the people who watch the movies are mostly made up of people who don't even enjoy the source material. Like with superhero movies, for some reason these people have to be walked through the entire concept like a toddler, I guess because otherwise they'd never get past their immediate stigma for things like comics. It's just like how there are still so many people who think anything animated is obviously only meant to be watched by small children.

Seems to me like you enjoy this sort of counter mechanic huh? haha

> Good god origin stories are starting to really piss me off.
I honestly think people should skip most intros. Most people know the basic about famous characters, and even if they don't, maybe the origin is not that relevant. Every time they reboot something its the same fucking origin story over and over again. I think they should just skip these stupid intros and that either people know about them, or the fact they don't won't change their experience while watching the movie

>Seems to me like you enjoy this sort of counter mechanic huh? haha
I do use a few different do-nothing counters, but as for this specific ability, it's just these two. I always had the idea, but I only recently put it down on cards.