What are some pernicious fantasy memes?

What are some pernicious fantasy memes?

I'll start:

>Elves are prodigiously accurate with their arrows

>Dwarves always have a scottish accent.
>Always.

It's kind of what kept me from playing them.

How is that harmful in any way? Their racial power is literally 'If you missed, roll again' so they ARE super accurate.

>Orcs are always dumb savages that rape and pillage

Then again, the noble savage thing is equally true as well so I guess no one wins.

If anything their mountainous homelands, fine craftsmanship, and love of beer should make them German.

A few minor tweaks and they could be russian.

Hell, let's just make them Romanian.

>Inb4 "DWARVES ARE JEWS" /pol/ memespouting

>DnD garbage is all of fantasy

What if dwarves were Roman or Greek?

Tolkien based his Dwarves off Jews and Lord of the Rings is the biggest influence on modern fantasy you retarded memespouter.
>Tolkien also elaborated on Jewish influence on his Dwarves in a letter: "I do think of the 'Dwarves' like Jews: at once native and alien in their habitations, speaking the languages of the country, but with an accent due to their own private tongue...

I want more Tolkien orcs. Smart enough to make functional weapons and armour, but so hateful they don't bother putting any effort into aesthetics, and they have a massive inferiority complex that leads them to hate everyone, including themselves. They have excellent medical knowledge but they mostly use it for torture and what healing arts they do have do nothing to relieve pain, and are just meant to get the injured back to work as fast as possible.

Yeah but Tolkien wasn't racist and /pol/ memesters are and just want to derail the thread with ((((jews)))) memes.
I hate /pol/niggers so much.

I knew they were industrious but didn't realize they had advanced medical knowledge as well

You are derailing this thread with your stupid off-topic opinions, not /pol/. Fuck off. Stop getting angry at things that "might happen".

Gods and demi-gods get called silly things like mage, sorcerer or wizard. Worse still, they buy into it and make use of those titles.

>3.PF is all fantasy

It comes up when Merry and Pippin are captured by the orcs/uruk hai, and one of them (can't remember which) is forced to drink a healing potion of some kind. It tastes awful and makes Merry (?) feel sick, but does the job and gets him back on his feet.

>I don't want /pol/ to derail the thread
>So I'm derailing the thread screeching about /pol/ derailing the thread
Really fired up my synapses.

Stay mad cuck

>professional armies fight with non-magical swords and armor
>magically have spears, not full polearms if their enemy is known for powerful cavalry
>any other weapon is class/racially niche no matter what the unit is

I honestly wish it were limited to dnd and it's knock-offs, but that shit permeates fantasy like nobodies business. Bullshit magic that can be used to mind-boggling effect and all implications of that fact clumsily brushed aside, ignored or, worse yet, forgotten. Sometimes, it's even painfully clear that the author wishes they had never given characters access to that much power, yet who the fuck held a gun to their heads and made hem write that casters could slay armies with a whisper?

I knew it! go back to /pol/.

Ya, this always pissed me off. I mean how hard or expensive would it be to equip your dude with enchanted shit. Why is it that no one makes use of even basic protective enchantments?

>call some people niggers
>get offended when you get called a cuck
Name one /pol/ tier opinion that's been stated in this thread. You can't. You just decided to shitpost about a board you don't like for no reason.

You've successfully derailed the thread now. Just know that you did this, not anyone else.

>mountains in Germany

I mean I guess, but you're thinking more of Austrians, or preferrably Swiss.

>I vant tae suck yer ale!

They should be Yorkshiremen.

>Hilly
>Mining and Industry
>No nonsense and dour folk
>Strange accent and language

You forgot

>inbred

Are Dwarves often portrayed as inbred?

Yorkshiremen are

Go far away from any place and you'll find people think they're inbred.

>Actually inbreeding is becoming a problem but that's due to high levels of Pakistani immigration that refuse to fuck outside of the community and tribe and the high rate of genetic deformities are actually of remarkable concern.

How's that relevant though? He was listing their similarities to Dwarves.

not how accents work

>not Chinese
>ancestor focus
>stone soldiers
>fucking beards

So, Orcs are Germans?

Prussian Orcs?

Tolkien orcs represented the worst aspects of the industrial age and capitalist/materialist philosophy.

I prefer Mongolian.

That's dumb.

You should read A Practical Guide To Evil.
I mean, the orcs are cannibals instead, but they're not hurr durr retards. They're a people trying to overcome a systemic oppression to rise up the ranks in the evil hierarchy.

>Fantasy Races being analogous to any human culture

If you are going to put non-humans in a game put some effort into making them unique, otherwise whats the point. Like in this that's just a green mongol, its pointless.

>Fantasy races having a single culture
Culture should vary regionally, not by species. Adjacent nations that hated each other tended to be more culturally similar than nations that were far away from one another.

>Fantasy races are "species"
This is a really annoying one.

>I mean how hard or expensive would it be to equip your dude with enchanted shit

Assuming a permanent enchantment and not hiring out spellcasters to slap on temporary shit, +1150k per armor/shield and +2300k per weapon, and that's for just a barebones +1, the numbers get much bigger much faster if you want anything fancy.

For comparison, a nonmagical longsword/heavy shield/chainmail set costs 185 total.
Numbers pulled from D&D 3.5. Too lazy to try and work out numbers for hiring spellcasters for temporary enchantments, but unless the spells can hit multiple targets at once it's still gonna be pretty pricy.

>human "race"
This one always pissed me off

>The desert kingdom is Arabic.

Hence why professional armies would be able to do it, kind of by necessity.

GO BACK TO /PO/

The cold northern kingdom is vikings

>taking the bait this hard
Unless that typo was intentional, in which case good show old sport

>All the white people, regardless of what culture they are based off of, having English accents

>All humans speak the same language.

>dwarves live underground and/or in the mountains

I don't exactly follow how "this shit is super expensive compared to not getting it" leads into "that is exactly why large armies would be able to afford it"

Maybe on their elite troops, but you're not buying hundreds of that fucking armor. Those costs stack up quick.

Unless it's a low-magic setting, wouldn't major nations hire mages to give enchantments to a commander's equipment at the very least?

Its a stupid argument that goes against whats really happened in history.

Only elite troops and nobles get the best equipment, everyone else get the most cost effective stuff.

Dudes in metal armor somehow slaying fire breathing dragons with a sword.
A sword.
Against things that can fly, have scales harder than steel, and attack at great distance.

A commander sure, but user seemed to be referring to the army at large.

Also, took a peek at the spells for temporary enchantments, they are single target spells, so unless there were mass versions in splatbooks, you are gonna need an entire division of casters to actually have enough spell slots to cover the rest of the army. On the plus side, assuming you want a meaningful duration (hour/level instead of minute/level), you'll be getting a higher bonus than just +1 as long as your cheerleader squad isn't minimum level.

I don't really mind most of this stuff if it's pulled off with a little thought, but
>each new society encountered during an adventure has to be wackier and more alien than the last
>in really goofy but shallow ways that don't influence how its members behave
really wears me down

>Magic users are universally omnipotent

I feel a lot of this is people conflating the mechanics of a game with the narrative aspect of a setting.

That's something that's actually based on the origin of dwarves, at least.

>Humans are the only race with any cultural or physical variation

or alternatively

>Humans are exclusively Feudal European societies

>Gnomes existing at all, in any context

To be fair, most would-be dragonslayers would probably be stocked up on specialized equipment for the job.

anti-/pol/ autists are infinitely worse than '/pol/' posters. Let people tell edgy jokes.

Even then, it usually seems like an asspull
>hurr da one super magical sword dat can slay da ebul dragon

First-cousin marriage in the Middle East is a horrible demographic issue. Their rate of retardation and birth defects is multiple times everyone else's.

Nah, at least Germany (used to anyways) value aesthetics. Their WW2 outfits were sexy as fuck

>Patrick Stewart grew up in Yorkshire
Captain Picard is now an acceptable dwarf character type,

>Any non human race's entire backstory relies on "I am a _____"

Seriously when was the last time a dragonborn's backstory didn't revolve around him being a dragonborn, or a tiefling's being something about being a tiefling

Human can fit anywhere, You were a bandit, you were a noble, a city guard, a wizard's apprentice, an acolyte serving the god _____, a person desperate enough to sell his soul to a devil. Humans never need to mention that they're human in their backstory, but for some stupid reason EVERY other non human character seems to think that them being a special race makes them super interesting when really they're just boring as fuck

Funny enough, I am writing up a setting that has Greek-Dwarves.

Honestly, not that much different. No fucking idea on the accent though.
Lots of drinking, partying, fucking, etc. But they still have the mountain and the forging/production thing.

What the fuck is with that picture?

This isn't even the same autist we usually get. That guy has some genuine skill. This guy seems like he might be on the spectrum, no memes.

I like it

Yorkshire is best dorf accent, Warhammer proves it so.

/pol/niggers believe they are so subtle, but I know what are your TRUE colors.
I am not going to let you destroy my board.

>Goblins are either hyper intelligent jews or pants-on-head retard savages with a courage deficiency

English has so many Greek root words that it's pretty much just intermittent vowel pronunciation and syllable emphasis errors.

I like Gnomes, fight me.

Explain and share an example

But it's always their enemies who destroy things.

That's what THEY want you to BELIEVE.

I should really hit up youtube for some sauce then.

What's wrong with gnomes?

OP I don't like having to look up what 'pernicious' means. Plz stop.

More than one sapient species exists at the same time.

Pre-historically they would have genocided each other until one was left. The only exceptions to this rule are "A WIZARD DID IT" and they are physically different to the point they do not occupy the same ecological niche and cannot survive outside of it (merfolk, dwarves)

Not such a problem in Fantasy where we, more often than not, have a "young earth" situation. Races are often created, protected or messed with by Demons, Angels, Gods and Great Old Ones.

What's right with them?

They don't to have exactly the same niches.
Both Elves and Dwarves have a tendency to live in environements not easily usable by humans.

Wow someone's never done anything with a wild west setting.

Originated on separate continents too far away for early travel.

Just like Abos

>Christopher Columbus sparks a holy genocide the size of which can only be imagined in horrified awe

Wait... that happened in real life.

Pratchet Dwarves are kinda Jew like

Strength increases damage.

Oh, sorry, meant
>Strength increases damage

In my custom setting the main Dwarven empire is very roman inspired. It's a pretty good fit:

Largely infantry based armies
Ancestor worship
Stoicism is considered a virtue
Engineering and stoneworking skillz

Yeah except they were modern humans, which means you're ignoring my whole
>too far away for early travel
bit.

They got their somehow, that somehow just no longer existed.

Give them a more masculine version of Yiddish ?

>OOY VAY, the goyblins are attacking !
>activate the Golem !

Any sane kingdom, faced with the economics of giving 1 guy a 5% increase in protection and fighting skill or outfitting 20,000 men with decent equipment (based on the numbers provided by ) would choose the latter.

You might end up with a situation where nobles/officers, who buy their own equipment have weapon and armour enchantments