EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Better Edition

Last Thread: >53982229

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Does cartoony or otherwise non serious artwork have a place in present day magic?

Other urls found in this thread:

deck(.)tk/00sU6tmQ
youtube.com/watch?v=oxSCyy2vHH0
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/karlov-rae-jepsen/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shu-yun-multiplayer/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/samut-ft-grenzos-best-hits/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-06-17-withering-heights/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fuck Sheldon.

This version is only going to get more expensive, isn't it. Waiting for rotation isn't going to make this any better?

>Thread Question
It should make up the majority of Unstable.

Nobody cracked soi because it was the summer set and it wasnt standard viable, whatever its current price is the actual market price.

Wasn't Eldritch moon the summer set?

>Does cartoony or otherwise non serious artwork have a place in present day magic?

Every single goblin needs this.

Yeah it was the spring set looking back.

Reposting my post:
Also, would maybe brago work better with the deck? It WOULD be pretty funny to put my queen marchesa deck next to brago.

I didn't get the chance to post this in the last thread but I would love to see someone guess my deck.

Tasigur.

Yes, but can you guess the build?

Tasigur Autism

Tasigur.

High Tide Ad Naus Tendrils "Please Don't Leave" Tasigur Storm.

Close
It's been established
One of those cards is in there but it is not a storm deck. It's more cancerous and less efficient.

let me have my fun, user. My deck is a circlejerk and so are my posts.

Shaman Tribal

Is it autistic of me to be extremely annoyed when someone else uses my commander in their decks even if it's not their commander? especially after the guy bought if after he saw the card for the first time as my commander.

Yes it is a card that anyone can use as long as they have access to that color.

That's spicy. What part of the color pie do shamans get?

The good shamans are mostly Gruul colored, though there are a few decent ones in black. Sek'Kuar is your best bet for Shaman Tribal.

I'm currently building a UBRG spell slinger deck, and I have a question.

I've never used counterspells in EDH, except in decks that nobody expects to encounter 'em, such as my mono-green and mono-black decks. How many counterspells should this new deck be running order to fortify my combos and/or win cons?

If you're running tutors for em, I think that 5 is enough, if you're running good ones. There's really no reason to pack insane amount of them, really

Am I reading this right that you're running 39/40 lands? That seems pretty high.

My guess is Doomsday Lab Man. The 5-cost black cards are Ad Nauseam and either Sidisi or Dark Petition, probably Sidisi. I can't decide what the 6-cost one is. I don't know if Tappedout includes the commander in the breakdown.

>Selvala, Heart of the Wilds in play
>Player with Selvala casts Force of Savagery
>When the Force enters the battlefield, it'll get sent to the graveyard due to having 0 toughness

Can the Selvala player still pay G and tap it to produce 8 mana, assuming Force is the creature with the highest power that the Selvala player controls, before the Force gets sent to the graveyard?

No. You need priority to activate activated abilities, even mana abilities.

Creatures that have 0 toughness are put into a graveyard whenever state-based actions are checked. State-based actions are checked whenever a player would gain priority.

There is no opportunity to ever act before the Force would be put into the graveyard.

No. During state based actions no player has priority, and the Selvala player would need priority in order to tap.

>Does cartoony or otherwise non serious artwork have a place in present day magic?

Cartoony? No, I think it hurts the cohesion of the worlds they're creating.

Non-serious? Yes, with a light touch. Don't overdo it. Pic related.

deck(.)tk/00sU6tmQ
Help me with my Orzhov Commander-deck! Need to cut some cards

Cut your wrists instead and used tappedout next time.

Why?

It's da bes and it uploads your shit to edhrec too.

Also I won't touch links that aren't tapped out, which at least makes 2 of us

Nice, thanks! Another question:

>Derevi player has both Derevi and Cryptolith Rite on the battlefield
>Another player casts Lignify on Derevi

Can Derevi still be tapped to produce mana due to Cryptolith Rite while Lignify is attached to it?

No. It's a timestamp thing.
>10/1/2007: Lignify causes the enchanted creature to lose all abilities it had at the time it became enchanted. Any abilities granted to the creature after Lignify entered the battlefield will work normally.

this is a 2 dollar card

Fuck off, Karlov is mine and YOU OWE HIM MONEY

I guess I'll have to decide between buying one or fucking your mother twice.

What deck would best fit this theme youtube.com/watch?v=oxSCyy2vHH0

If you're struggling to pay for a 2~3 dollar you should not be playing this game

Thanks! Now my mind can rest in peace.

Joven Artifact Destruction.

The promo is 8, which is fine, but I'm not paying my country's shipping costs for a single card, so I'll have to wait until I have more to buy. At which time the price may spike. that's all.

The only cards that actually care about other Shamans are:
>Bosk Banneret
>Lightning Crafter
>Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro
>Thornbite Staff
>Wolf-Skull Shaman

Lightning Crafter is just Champion, so really the only ones worth bothering with are all Green, except Thornbite obviously.

>Thread Question
They'll probably never do it, but if we get a return to Lorwyn/Shadowmoor it needs the neat storybook art style.

>completely shit card
>being afraid that it will spike
Frankly, it will dive like Hindenburg after it rotates standard, if it's even played there

>that goblin

he knows whats going on.

My playgroup is have a "god challenge" where we all choose a god subtype card (so either Theros block or Amonkhet block) and build them as commander. I built Karametra and the deck's been super fun.

It's basically a combo-storm deck that uses Aluren with Whitemane Lion/Stonecloaker/Fleetfoot Panther to pull all the lands out of your deck (every land has a Forest/Plains subtype except for Emeria) and then kill people with Goblin Charbelcher or a variety of other combos. Strength of Cedars has killed enough people.

>goblin charbelcher

holy shit user, my karametra deck relied on ramping and throwing out big old fatty hydras and tapping them until I won.

Now I have a way more sensible win con.

>caring about promos
>it doesnt even have alternate art

How can I build Shu Yun for a 3-4 Multiplayer group?

The only deck I've seen in person was a "Strictly 1v1" deck that stacked strong instant speed buffs to try and get a quick 21 with Shu Yun.

My only thoughts so far are an enchantment pillow fort with an extra combat phase OR artifacts, especially equipments.

i've not played him but i feel like there are probably 2 approaches, pillowforting and goodstuffing until finishing people with shu yun, and then extra combatting and mega buffing shu yun in an effort to one shot the table

Yeah I already have 2 pillowfort kind of decks so I think, maybe I can make this more aggressive.

Won't be more than a $200 deck so it should fall into the mid tier of my playgroup.

i turned my bruna deck into a shu yun deck and basically changed nothing about it aside from adding sun forger and some extra combat stuff. bruna is still in there as an alternate win con

list?

i never put it on tapped out, your basic idea is to just build a generic bruna deck with red extra combats and sun forger

Any good UW / UR spells for the sunforger pack?

path, swords, boros charm, firestorm, etc you just use it to tutor up what you need for your specific situation and meta

Does anyone have a link to the YouTube video of the kid throwing an autist shitfit because his friends won't let him separate his library into two piles in his Melek deck?

somewhat of a blogpost coming through

>getting bored of dimir reanimator
>want to splash a color
>try splashing each color on xmage
>grixis seems kinda boring because red doesn't seem very versatile
>esper is fun and cute, but feels maybe a bit awkward to play, shit commanders for reanimator too
>only one color left to test
>try putting green into my deck
>navigate through the thousands of bought-out reanimator themed green cards on EDHREc and magiccards.info
>put the good ones that aren't 20+ bucks into my deck, my deck is now basically 50% green, 35% black and 15% blue
>almost throw up in the process of loading all the creature tutors into my deck
>join a casual game on xmage
>by turn 5, have cheated about 5 creatures into play, have twice the mana as everyone else
>acidic slime, woodfall primus and terastodon have run out of targets so just blowing up people's lands now
>xenagos hits me with a hasted kozilek, butcher of truth, instantly tutor and answer for it and blow up his lands, he just fucking leaves the game
>mfw end up reanimating more than 80% of my deck's creatures with a single living death
>apologize to my remaining opponent and kill myself with a gigantic ancient excavation

jesus fucking christ sultai is just disgusting

i almost want to build it just because it's like being an omnipotent deity that cannot be touched by mere mortals, but then again i felt dirty the entire time i played the deck so maybe not

boy i'd love it if they printed a good esper reanimator commander

Kiki-Jiki.

Here's my Karlov super voltron, the deck is basically finished now bar a few money cards I'll get as a graduation present. Swords, Command Beacon, maybe an expensive tutor and Cabal Coffers.

A good amount of the cards have Berserk renders printed out on photopaper and stuck in the sleeve because I'm autistic

UBx will always be a disgusting color combination.

It is a shame there aren't better Esper commanders for reanimator past Sharuum, but if you're set on playing reanimator Grixis does it well. Red has a lot of fun creatures to reanimate, and has good enablers like Faithless Looting.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/karlov-rae-jepsen/

The decklist would help

I'm saying the only reason you have to run Shaman "tribal" is those cards, otherwise you might as well run goodstuff where a bunch of them happen to be Shamans but you don't really prioritize them. Mirror-Breaker doesn't care what is or is not a Shaman.

It's currently a work in progress, and it's for a Boros soldier tribal deck with an equipment subtheme, but this is the package I'm going with.
Boros Charm
Comeuppance
Dispatch
Enlightened Tutor
Mercadia's Downfall
Return to Dust
Tithe
Wild Ricochet

Since you're in Jeskai you should consider Absorb, Counterflux, Double Negative, Mirrorweave, Ojutai's Command, Render Silent, Steam Augury and Suffocating Blast.
It'd probably be dumb to run all of those counters, but I just thought I'd list all of the counterspells that Sunforger can grab. There's also the charms of course if you think they'd be a good fit for you.

UGx will also always be disgusting.

That was actually what I meant to write

>esper is fun and cute, but feels maybe a bit awkward to play, shit commanders for reanimator too

Sharuum's combos are all reanimation oriented.

>UBx will always be a disgusting color combination

in terms of EDH i think GBx or GUx makes the most disgusting decks. my UB deck isn't *that* strong. i don't run combos, so i win with big value plays and reanimation blowouts, and UB alone can't really do that.

i did a quick search through grixis reanimation cards, but honestly i didn't think there were that many worth playing. this is mostly an ETB/LTB recurring deck and red doesn't really care much for that. plus, i need capable LD/exile in my deck thanks to a certain friend abusing a certain deep, dark fantasy too much

I forgot to explain that Tithe is mainly to grab Mistveil Plains so that you can put your Sunforger targets on the bottom of your library to tutor out again.

i really hate artifacts sadly and i want to be somewhat of a hipster. i ran Ertai, the Corrupted as my commander when I tested out my esper deck and he wasn't that bad, if a bit bothersome to protect in a deck where i really don't like to protect my board too much.

i'd probably run sen triplets if they weren't 20 bucks for some reason

>i really hate artifacts sadly
Why? Why do you hate an entire card type?

they just quickly turn retarded good in edh, and in a way where it's next to impossible to know it in advance. sometimes the artifact player durdles with nothing on his board, other times he'll just start comboing out and wins on the spot despite having fuck all on his board prior. i've lost too many games to paradox engine and that "sac 3 get blightsteel colossus" fucker so now i hate the entire archetype

Lots of decks can pop off super hard out of no where when nobody at the table has an answer. It's not something unique to artifacts and you don't have to build or play the deck in that way if you don't want.

i never said i was a rational man

I just tappedout my Shu Yu:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shu-yun-multiplayer/

It is about half your budget but I was thinking of cutting my sunforger because I didnt fit enough removal in there. Otherwise I need to find three or four spells so I can fit Swords, Path and probably Chaos Warp at least.

Sorry I meant to write UGx, UBx is legit

Sounds like you need better threat analysis. Cards like Paradox Engine, Kuldotha Forgemaster, Rings of Brighthearth, Time Sieve, and Birthing Pod often have hidden "destroy this NOW or else" clauses in their text. And that's not limited to just artifacts.

Fortunately, there's a lot of artifact hate in Naya colors. Pack a couple sweepers like Vandalblasts or Fracturing Gust in addition to your normal spot removal and you'll enjoy the occasional blowout.

Actually, blue has some decent artifact hate too. Energy Flux comes to mind. Only black suffers from lack of artifact hate

Which is still complete fucking bullshit in my opinion, that one color gets completely locked out of artifact/enchantment hate

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/samut-ft-grenzos-best-hits/
Should I cut something to add some of the Maybboard cards, like Path/Sword to Plowshares?

If you're really desperate, you can always turn to the Father of Machines for help.

His door is always open.

Cut amulet of vigor and horn of greed for swords and path, probably also want to include 2 or more wraths for additional protection since Samut allows you to rebuild your board for an alpha strike in a hurry. Also, you're playing Naya but you're not playing Godsire wtf.

>Godsire
Simply don't have the card, thinking of adding him, Captain Sisay, Mom and krenko later when I've tested thedeck.

Why are wraths so easy to rebuild from?

add that one red card that lets you search for a card not in your deck and keep the maybe board around

Flash in Samut before your turn, play a big fatty or two and swing in. Seems like a fairly typical line.

This?

The wish cycle technically doesn't work in commander unless you house rule it (see rule 13 of the official commander banlist).

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-06-17-withering-heights/

Can I get a critique for this decklist? Im trying not to get overboard with this list but I really like the idea of a Rakdos EDH deck that has a reliable draw engine.

>not posting a list

ya but what play group is that autistic to where they wont allow it?

>tfw getting a gaddock as judge promo

wow thats awesome

That art is gorgeous.

Goddamn I hope we got a new Lorwyn set one day.

There we go; you are very close. I was hoping that someone would notice the land count is pretty high because that's the giveaway. It's my take on a lands deck. The five drops are Ad Naus and Dark Petition but the six drop is misleading. I had to double check my list because I was sure that I topped out at five but tappedout includes the commander in CMC I guess.

Kudos to you, user.

>Sounds like you need better threat analysis. Cards like Paradox Engine, Kuldotha Forgemaster, Rings of Brighthearth, Time Sieve, and Birthing Pod often have hidden "destroy this NOW or else" clauses in their text. And that's not limited to just artifacts.

yeah the whole reason why i hate artifacts is the fact that paradox engine and kuldotha forgemaster turn a bunch of useless mana rocks and servos into a wincon on etb

Ban Paradox Engine

They're also issuing more Phyrexian Elesh Norn promos along with this so the supply is going to double. This is the chance to buy one I guess. If the price actually goes down significantly or halves then I'm going to commit.

Whats a general theory for building "budget" three color land bases?

All my decks that are 3 colors have at least shocks if not checks and/or pains and fetche, most of my dual decks have a good array of dual lands.

I am being challenged to make a $100 3 color deck with no green and I just can't into land base.

Command tower, the cheap ass tri color tapped land and a ton of basics?