astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>/5eg/ Discord:
discord.me/5eg

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:
What are some strange but useful choices for a Ranger's Animal Companion or Artificer's Mechanical Servant?

Other urls found in this thread:

marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/47/curse-of-strahd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hello, friends.
I hope everybody is doing well

My DM let me use a downsized Constrictor Snake as an improvised whip. Meshed really well with Dual Wielder and a Spear, and the free grapple/restrain was useful.

Dood suck ma hoop

Is anyone going to pull the Roll20 assets from this for download?

marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/47/curse-of-strahd

>Playing CoS
>My character dies
>DM wants me to come back as a Revenant
>I kinda want to roll a new character but am afraid DM will sperg out if I do

Fuck this campaign

Have you asked him if he minded you rerolling instead of being a punk?

That's what you get for playing gay vampire shit

Oh he knows I was thinking of re-rolling, but he wants to "have a chat" and convince me to do otherwise, and I'm just dreading that conversation.

what do you use to create dungeons?

It's just you guys talking, lad.

i recommend a shovel

pyromancer

Dwarves. You don't have to pay them if you never let them out when it's finished.

needless to say, I was looking for things like dave's mapper website

If they dug their way in they can probably dig their way out.

Skeletons don't dig.

Counterspell states '1 reaction, which you take when you see a creature within 60 feet of you casting a spell' for the trigger.

Does this mean if I start off a combat/prepare before hand to cast Minor Illusion of a 5x5x5 box over myself and thus duck down into it, obscuring view, that my Counterspells would be un-counterable since the enemy counter-er would be unable to see my own counterspell being cast? (Since it only has a S component)

How do you guys satisfy your itch for fantasy rpgs when you aren't playing dnd?

It does, as far as I can see.

they can't counterspell you and you can't counterspell them

Why would a celestial warlock head into the underdark?

Dragon's Dogma, Dungeon Meshi and old school roguelikes.

Why wouldn't I be able to CS them? I'd know it was an illusion and could thus see through it IIRC

im being invited to my first game. they've already played a few levels. what should I be

also, I'm watching youtube videos of people playing and I don't understand why they constantly want to fight enemies that are stronger than them when the DM is just trying to tell a story?

People want to fight obviously lethal enemies because video games teach thay big baddies give big loot and they think the DM won't kill them.
What is the rest of the team playing and what kind of character do you want to play?

Because DnD is meant to be collaborative storytelling game. As for the collaborative storytelling, the DM/GM makes the outlines of the story, but the players want and expect to have meaningful impacts on the outcomes of the story. In terms of it being a game, players want to be challenged.

When the players are endlessly facing enemies they can stomp without issue it feels both that they are not being challenged, and that combat is of no consequence due to the ease of victory.

artificer (I don't know anything about as they aren't in the book), a warlock and a rogue with a bow

tempest cleric looked neat, but my first choice was barbarian or fighter but my friend says I should play something with more variety to keep it interesting.

they're literally in shackles with no items and they want to attack the jailers? the game just started.

>they're literally in shackles with no items and they want to attack the jailers? the game just started.
if they are playing Out of the Abyss, that's how the game starts. You're meant to come up with a plan to subdue the jailers and escape

only to have that plan fail and one of the jailers lets you out anyways

How do you use nets tactically? Can someone be netted multiple times at once, requiring them to burn multiple actions to free themselves?

>they're literally in shackles with no items and they want to attack the jailers?
I have not met many players who are playing DnD in the hopes of experiencing the local justice system at work.

>only to have that plan fail and one of the jailers lets you out anyways
I learned this in our second attempt (that means restarting the whole thing) The issue is we've become irreparebly damaged in our escape attempts.

Battlemaster fighter is a great class, has lots of customization with the maneuvers.

With that team you're gonna be alone most of the time on the front. Unless that warlock goes bladelock.

So last night, we met a demon bound in a magic circle who offered to answer any question we had if we let her out first. MFW when we told her to fuck off, left, and bricked up the entrance.

Doing god's work, son

Kek. One plot hook avoided.

no story advances are worth dealing with demons. A devil, maybe, but fuck demons.

Which isn't that far considering he's got a box illusion around him.

shut up faggot.

delet this

>If a creature uses its action to examine the sound or image, the creature can determine that it is an illusion with a successful Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC. If a creature discerns the illusion for what it is, the illusion becomes faint to the creature.
Since the caster knows the illusion is an illusion, they can see right through it.

What action is it to use a spell stored in an Ioun Stone? Is it the same action as the spell that is stored?

Yeah I was meming that the guy I responded to can't see. What with the illusion.

demon pls go

>Why would a celestial warlock head into the underdark?
who said he had a choice?

Presumably.

Anything for a warlock, outside of a character want/need they have, can usually be summed up in:
>your patron wants some seemingly insignificant thing from somewhere dangerous
>ends up being significant in some odd way, whether for the warlock themselves or to the patron

What does a fighter and barbarian do better than a paladin?

It depends. A challenge can be entertaining, but If you do NOTHING but super strong monsters who can easily TPK the group with a bit of luck it gets boring.

Even worse is if you constantly put the players in a situation where they can't possibly hope to beat half the encounters you throw at them and need either GM fiat or the DMPC cavalry charge to save the day (these have been my last 2 DMs please kill me now)

A good concept that gets pushed around in some other systems, like M&M, is that you should occasionally give the players a fair chance of completely mopping the floor with an encounter so that they feel like their characters are strong and useful. It may seem like a cheap, obvious trick but it honestly works.

>What does a fighter and barbarian do better than a paladin?
keep their hands clean of filthy sorcery

>Fighter
Be reliable without magic

>Barbarian
Be reliable without armor

For the user who was looking for art to use to illustrate interbred dragons (chromatic/chromatic, chromatic/metallic, and metallic/metallic)

Have you tried asking Flight Rising players, or looking up dragon pictures from the game? I'm dead serious. As far as I can remember the art is pretty nice and can come in a huge variety of colors.

More damage
More tanks
Con save proficiency
Simplicity

Do you use any homebrew from the DM's Guild? Is there anything good there?

The mushroom druid that they featured on the front page is pretty cute. Very useful too depending on the latitude your DM gives you on the corpse flowers.

The Shaman class is pretty dope. It's like a mix of Druid, Warlock, and Cleric. One of its major downfalls is that like every spell it has is concentration, which is an issue.

Idea for an Alternative Method for Rolling for Stats:

8 + 1d8, six times, either down the line or allocated as desired

>8 + 1d8
This is too swingy, you need to roll at least two dice so you have bell curve distribution

>GM always splits xp between us and npcs
>still not level 3 after 6 sessions
>always interrupts our attempts to rest so we have severely depleted resources and every fight we are always on the brink of death

like I'm always up for a challenge but at this point the difficult feels artificial as fuck. how do I broach the subject that this is bullshit

Where can I download the Dungeon Painter Studio?

maybe you should roleplay a whiny bitch about the bad conditions?

y not 2d8D1+2d6P1+2d4D1 ?
xdd

>giving exp to NPCs is okay
Never DM.

My character died in the last session and I'm having problems determining my next character. Our party is currently a Sorcerer, Paladin, and Fighter.

Prior I have played a Warlock, Rogue, and Paladin (from recent to furthest). Race wise the Warlock was a Tiefling, and other two were humans. Party Races are Asimar, Goliath, Dragonborn.

Any suggestions that are fun? Fuck pragmatic (Clerics are shit)

That's how it's supposed to be, but then again you're never supposed to have NPCs in the party.

You can never go wrong with Bard

>i've never read a rulebook
If NPCs significantly contribute to the fight in any way the XP is also split between them. The same also provides for if the party does not meaningfully interact in a fight they don't receive XP either.

>but then again you're never supposed to have NPCs in the party.
OotA gives you about 8 to travel with you at the start. They eventually get picked off one by one or leave you when you get them back home though.

2spoopy3me

>splitting xp
>not using the milestone system

it's as if you WANT your adventure to be paced like shit

Can Bards provide in combat healing?

I know they have the bonus healing during rests and what not.

Yep, both Healing Word and Cure Wounds are on their spell list (among others). They're not full on healbots, but they can handle it in a pinch.

Also, at level 10 Bards can pick 2 spells from literally any class lists they want. Lore Bards get this feature at level 6 in addition to level 10.

Yes, bards get healing word, cure wounds, mass healing word etc.

If you really want to be a healbot go lore bard and multiclass into life cleric and use Additional Magic Secrets and get Aura of Vitality for 2d6+5 heals every turn

>DM uses milestones
>end up level 11 at the end of the tyranny of dragons
???

Hm, Lore Bard does sound interesting now.

Only reason brining it up is because the Warlock I invested so much time out of game into got killed because we had no healing at all (and he may have had shit stats in anything that wasn't Charisma)

Thank you lads, I'm going to dive in-depth to my phb

>playing an adventure module

damn that sucks that your DM is an untalented and unoriginal hack that doesn't care enough to make a real adventure themselves

may as well read a CYOA book. watch out for the yeti on page 73!

>playing an adventure module
Not just but the worst 5e module.

i dunno, can anyone confirm?

I'm playing that one pbp style...
>Go in tunnel to make sure secret entrance is undisturbed
>entrance is undisturbed, but fight rat swarms
>look more closely at entrance, still undisturbed
>dwarf player rolls perception to see beyond the gate, "you can't see anything, the area is too obscured by bushes and stuff"
>well shit that makes it even more secure and undisturbed, we can leave right?
>HAVE to open the fucking door and check outside, HAVE to do a stealth check, "roll init guys"
Is this common for this module or is my pbp DM just bad?

God I hope so, I really want those top-down Castle Ravenloft maps.

I'm playing a Tempest Cleric but I can't decide if I want to get War Caster or Spell Sniper at level 4.

If I get Spell Sniper, I can use a whip and booming blade which sounds pretty fun. Then again, the advantage on con saving throws and using a spell instead of AoO with War Caster sounds pretty useful as well.

Don't want to play a Variant Human either.

Do you mean magic initiate?

Did you roll really good stats? Because if you're going point buy/standard array and at level 4 without being variant human I'd recommend shoring up stats first.

No, booming blade has a range of 5 ft so it doesn't work on reach weapons. With spell sniper it becomes 10 feet.

How are you getting booming blade?

Quick question as a newbie GM: does an encounter with no combat count as an "encounter" in the sense that it rewards XP?

Context: players are passing through Orc-controlled hills when orc scouts jump out and surround them. The party's half-orc bard successfully bluffs them into thinking he's an orc from another clan taking the rest of the party to his warchief as prisoners. Orcs don't want to start a clan feud and back off.

Encounter passed, but no initiative ever rolled. Does this count as a situation I give the full XP for the three orcs that were "beaten" for?

Spell Sniper gives you one cantrip that uses an attack roll.

RAI is 19 is auto-hit just like 20.

Pic related is what I rolled. Used the 17 for wisdom

The Spell Sniper feat gives you an attack roll cantrip from any class

I would give them three quarters if they did "ok".

If they did amazingly in getting rid of the orcs (for example something I as DM didn't think of) I would give them five quarters.

Yes. Please God reward your players for using their brains sometimes.

I would award xp in this situation.

I also have a cleric-related question.

Some cleric domains get heavy armor and martial weapon proficiency. I like the idea of casting divine spells with just as much frequency as I bludgeon foes with my hammer. Do martially-proficient clerics make for a good balance of weaponry and wizardry, or at some point would I inevitably be doing a disservice by not casting spells every time?

Yes, you should always award XP for nonviolent victories like this.

Otherwise, players think that they'll never progress as characters unless they murder everything they see.

Combat and Non-Combat are both means of solving a problem.

We are surrounded by Orcs -> all Orcs are now dead. Problem solved.

We are surrounded by Orcs -> the Orcs are now gone. Problem solved.

Award it just as if it had been combat.

Okay well with those stats you're fine, I'd personally recommend war caster, since a lot of cleric spells (spirit guardians, aura of vitality, bless) are concentration spells. While more damage is nice, War Caster fits better with your role.

inb4
>rolling stats

Fighter does more consistent DPR damage than paladin unless if the paladin is oathbreaker in which case fighter's fucked
Fighter .. you know what, why WOULD you go fighter?
Barbarian has wolf barbarian for team support or bear barbarian for not dying or barbarogue for not dying even more / grappling. Overall, they have a point aside from paladin, and also do more reliable DPR before level 11.

It's all shiiiit.

other way around
Demon is wild and predictable. Devil will pretend to be helpless 'till it's too late.

>Rolling for stats

>dm is having us choose class and race before rolling stats

Rolling stats is retarded in the first place but this is just crazy and nonsensical.

Does he let you change the stats around? Otherwise why are you playing with someone actually mentally retarded?