A Different Chaos, Redux

This thread is for coming up with different takes on Chaos/The Warp, alternate Chaos gods and the legions they would have corrupted, their cults, etc.

Keep to the thread topic at hand, and remember: This is alternate canon and brainstorming. The actual canon state of Chaos, its invincibility, etc, don't matter. Things will deviate from canon, and that's the point

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Veeky
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Heyo!
Reposting Engal.
Engal the grand undead.
Engal is empowered by the end of things be it the death of a man or the end of a mans faith.
Engal also encompasses the acceptance of new ideas. When a noble decides to stop hating those below him and trys to help out those in the hive Engal chuckles and huddles in his cloak, ready to watch what happens.
His followers wear Orange and black robes and the animal they focus on is a Vulture.
Engals demons are short lived beasts that rely on swarming the enemy.
His deamons are the:
>The Perplexed
The greater deamons of Engal are called The perplexed. They look like anthropomorphic dogs with the heads of a Vulture. They commonly use weapons that have multiple uses such as a spear that breaks into two swords or a Hammer that can morph into a shovel.
The perplexed constantly change their minds and when in battle flail wildly with no skill.
>Mad things
The lesser daemons of Engal are known as Mad things and are slimes that can change their form however they want.
>Sightseers
The steeds of Engal are called Sightseers, and look like huge vulture.
They are like wyverns in that they can use their wings and legs to walk around

From the last thread

>Engal, The Grand Undead
>Lloron, The Untravelled Road
>???, The Twin Headed God of Tyranny and Strife

I'm not sure if this 100% fits with the thread theme but I want to bring this up and maybe it can go somewhere.

The biggest problem I always had with Chaos was that chaos planets and societies serving chaos all basically boiled down everyone suffering constantly except for a few insane overpowered daemony people.

And yes, obviously a society with CHAOS as the main tenant would obviously be a big shithole like that normally. I'm not gonna defend it ancap style or anything like that.

My problem is that Chaos is supposed to act as the alternative to The Imperium for many humans, and if any of them learned that they'd most likely wind up as a slave if they stuck around with Chaos long enough, they'd want to get away as soon as fucking possible, unless they're just made immediatly insane, which I find very lazy.

I'd like it if the insane everything is terrible chaos planets were deep in the Warp, while farther away from the Eye of Terror, chaos controlled planets, while still basically being anarchy, still had some semblance of good in it, a reason that someone would actually want to live in a place like this.

A Slaanesh world being a constant ride of pleasure and and hedonistic joy.

A Tzeentch world being a hub for information, learning, and a haven of safety for psykers.

A Nurgle world being a diseased pit where rotting people lounge around and wait peacefully to decay and enjoy each other's company.

A Khorne world still being fights 24/7, but more honor based. Space Spartans or something.

It can work like that in here I suppose.
Its up to OP for anything to be cemented.

I've personally never been a super big fan of Chaos necessarily being all suffering and shit all the time. I get why, grimdark 80's moorecock etc etc, but I personally like it better if it's more amoral and impersonal and irrational as opposed to actively malevolent.
Khorne feeds on, engenders, and supports conflict and especially violence, regardless of what, why or who's involved. The honorable warrior and the violent serial killing berserker are both the same in his eyes, and he's not going to try to turn one into the other. It's just that as you seek more and more power and climb the ladder as it were, the level of violence and conflict you need to sate his needs and "level up" grows exponentially higher, and exponentially harder to keep to any sort of moral. So like you said, you could very easily have lowkey chaos enthusiasts who benefit from the Powers while still being able to temper it with human morality.

Hey man. I'm not the authority here. It's a collab, and right now we're just spitballing, yeah?

Fair enough bro.

I'm glad I'm not alone in my feelings on chaos worshipers. I do believe that is still a place for complete psychopaths who will do whatever it takes to rise through the chaos ranks, but in their efforts to go through those ranks, I'd imagine they'd either get closer to the Eye of Terror, or continue their conquest of the rest of the galaxy in the name of chaos, leaving the "lowkey chaos enthusiasts" to practice their more positive, if still lawless and unstable, lifestyles on the chiller planets. The obvious drawbacks being that if you're not staying close to the OP chaos warriors and daemons, you have a much higher chance of being off'd by the Imperium once they try to get their planets back.

Alright so we've got three-ish gods since the unnamed one will only come along when the emps dies.
Maybe the eagle could be like a time anomaly in that he's on the present but also still in the future?

Maybe. There is the whole "chaos is outside of time" thing . How many gods do we want to have? Do we have any niches/themes that we definitely want filled?

Malal

We might just want to have the big four with a secret fifth again. Makes you think before you post and all that.

>Makes you think before you post and all that.
?

And fourish is maybe a good number, but do we like who we have so far? We've got some very specific gods (which I mean is also the case in regular canon), which means that at this point our Chaos is going to be very, very different than standard.

Malal is pretty rad, but I'm personally always a sucker for B&W color schemes and contrarian dickery.

I meant that there isn't a lot of room for "Random XD" things Y'know?
Bit autistic, my way of thinking

What do you mean "Random"? Because IMHO Angry, Horny, WIzard, AIDS is a pretty random assortment of cosmic beings.

In the Hektor Heresy there was this god of Fear that was like a Cross between Malal and Nurgle, and was this giant emaciated predator that stalked his own daemons in his nightmare realm of darkness

It was pretty cool

True enough. Random as in deliberately being idiotic about the god like having it be a huge ass cake.

Thamoraz?
1d4chan.org/wiki/Veeky Forums_Heresy_Writefaggotry#Thamoraz.27s_Price

That sounds pretty dope. If we are going with 4.5 gods, then fear is a pretty decent, broad purview, and doesn't overlap much conceptually with what we've got.

Well the best thing about Thamoraz is that he is both a "gateway" god as well as a Scaveneger. It drives people to the arms of other gods, and feeds off of the resulting emotions. It's more of a giant Warp Entity than it is a true god, but the other gods find it more useful to leave alone and eat the scraps than it is to waste effort trying to find the damn thing.

It's Daemons were spooky Horse/dog things, spooky flying Night Lord things, Furies, and shogoth things, because nothing is more frightening that the ever-changing unknown

Still sounds good to me

>Yrael, The Coming King
>Portfolio:Ambition and Dominion
>Represents desire, specifically for power and specifically for power over others. Also represents the willingness to do anything to attain or keep that power.

>Followers come from all classes and in all stripes, as the rebel and usurper are just as much serving Yrael as the despot and the scheming bureaucrat. All seek power, but in the end all will kneel or be knelt before his golden throne. Devotees wear saffron and gold, and tend to wear his symbol, a two headed dragon

>Daemons include
>the Kingsmen, giant rotting humanoids clad in glorious golden armor, with the strength to fell scores of men in a halberd's sweep and who carry the writ of the King, which bends mortals to their command. Those who kill a Kingsman are cursed to replace them.

>Xanthous Courtiers. Tall, lanky creatures wearing their own jaundiced, saggy flesh like voluminous robes. Fight with golden claws and sulfurous yellow flames, as well as spreading the cursed Gospel of the King

>Charioteer Aurates: Massive, ornate chariots made of gilded human bodies, bent and twisted into both the cart and the massive destriers that pull it. The wheels of the chariot are especially interesting, as the spoke and axle are another form of lesser daemon, 'promoted' into the service of the King's champions. The rim, however, is wrought from the souls of anarchists and others who would deny mankind it's right to be ruled.

Interested bump

I don't really get the undead thing. None of his stuff necessarily says "undead" to me.

Rad

Technically what you say has happened in the fluff. The places are shitholes compared to modern Earth, but the populace is fanatical to the point they don't care. See Vraks.

Well yeah, but I think he means that chaos should have places that aren't awful/you don't have to be a brainwashed fanatic to find tolerable

Wake up bump

I'd lean more towards Chaos being a lot more divided. As while it IS divided in normal 40k it's still driven by an overwhelming 'Fuck the emperor'. I'd lean towards a more holistic approach to it, where you can find demons with nearly any opinion or approach to things, with the big anti-imperium ones just being the most powerful and capable of bringing the most force to bear.

Gives more room for stuff other than just 'Gribbly that wants to eat your soul'. Still very dangerous but a bit more uncertain a factor rather than 'This is certain to be a bad thing'

Wait, so what are the gods, their emotional core, and their domains of the pantheon thus far?

He's undead becuase thats constantly at the end of life.

We have Change, Regret, Fear, and Ambition

Same. Chaos as it stands is ironically very predictable and one note. I've always felt that its much more interesting when its human emotion warped to the point of inhumanity rather than just spiky assholes. It doesn't help that two of the major canon powers are kind of unpleasant to begin with, and all of them have had any residual "good" or ambiguous elements stripped away.

I like the Chaos Gods more like the Yozi or the Daedra: not necessarily always malevolent, but so alien and inhuman and insane that their help isn't always helpful, and worshiping them is going to lead to a lifestyle pretty goddamn incompatible with regular people

Vulpchriss, the scavenger

Vulpchriss is the god of swiftness and harvest, ruse and envy.
He is the god for the cavalry who engages first and quick. Trying to get and most of the loot.
He is a trickstewr to know how to taunt, ruse or flank his enemy to get a fair share of the prize. But always envy of the others getting more than him.

He rewards the ones that are quick, brutal and know how to scavenge the enemy or the dead on the battlefield.

He is described as the snake with the vulture head and wings, covered in dark metal feathers which corners bling silver.

>Greater demon
A big vulture like creature with an armor made of steel feathers. His body, neck and tail are featherless and scaly like a snake. He is always seen to carry a sickle to reap his enemies and part the loot.

>Chaos Gargoyls
His main demons he commands

>Lesser demons
The smaller lesser demons look like chimeras. A crows upper body, where a snake body and head grows out of his stomach

>Chaos chapter
Vulpchriss took the Night Lords under his wing, which pray to him for speed in battle and wealth after the battle.
His favourite champions are Chaos Raptors, who he grants with mutations and senses to fly fast and precise.

Bump

Sounds good!
So we've got Change, Regret, Fear, Ambition and Envy.
Good lineup.

If this alternate chaos still has something to do with primal human/Eldar emotions and drives, then there needs to be a demon of hunger. Not gluttony, but something born of the fear of starvation, which our not-so-distant ancestors - and even a lot of people in the setting - would know all about.

Sounds good. A god of a different sort of carnal desire

Change isn't really an emotion

>This is alternate canon and brainstorming. The actual canon state of Chaos, its invincibility, etc, don't matter. Things will deviate from canon, and that's the point

So like ogre magic? A god about belly and eating everything?

The Regurgitated Eldar Pantheon.

You know how an Overdose feels like? Vomiting, dizzy spells. In cruel twist of irony. The Prince of excess puked out the warp essence of the craftworld pantheon after one such overdose. To some Eldar this was a sorely sought miracle admist all the defeats siffered by the Eldar. Against the wishes of cerrain farseers certain craftworld cults have been made to worship the warped versions of their beloved gods. Unaware of the damage done and bringing the cult to lesser races tp fuel and sustain the gods

>Vaul, the Warpsmith

Once an industrious warp god of artisans. He is now a compulsive perfectionist beyond even the most dedicated Eldar. His daemons are uncanny war machines fueled by smiths who try to pursue the idealized form of their craft.

>99 Armors of Vaul

The Unbreakable to the unstoppable spear. The armored daemons are created by using a living host who willingly encases themselves in corrupted wraithbone made by Vaul himself through those who refused to seek perfection of the arts. The daemon are night invulnerable and only stops when they face another being who compulsively seeks perfection

>Golems

Wraithbone demons sent as soldiers. Their body can turn into any weapon it needs for battle but only that battle.

This. If there's one thing that bugs me with Chaos, it's how uniform it is with its actions.

Sometimes, there should be a band of Khorne daemons that pops up to defend some unarmed villagers from marauding raiders, and they won't all be the exact same 'devil with sword' template when they do

Maybe some combination of WHF ogres, Orange Lanterns and, I don't know, ghouls or something? Cannibal cultists? Endlessly hungry daemon zombies?

More.
Xenos.

Humanity is huge, and having them make up the bulk of chaos factions is fine, but chaos should really be more universal than it is in 40k.

>Orks only care about fightin'
>Nids are bugs and can't be chaos'd
>Tau have no souls and are too into the Greater Good to care
>Necrons can't be corrupted

Eldar have a huge connection with Chaos, but it's basically just Slaanesh.

Chaos worshiping humans should be fighting alongside chaos worshiping xenos.

Happens more in the RPG books, generally any psychic race without great protection gets very quickly corrupted and by the time the Imperium finds them they're hard to distinguish from daemons and spawn.

Umaga the void king

The void king represents all that is emptiness such as hunger and a unfulfilled life that most citizens in the imperium experience.

His followers are clad in black and armored with bones and are constantly besieged by a gnawing hunger with common mutations being emptiness of the stomach and mind

>greater daemons
The greater daemons of the void king are hulking almost starved ogre like beasts who run forward,blinded by hunger and try to stuff anything that fits down their throats. although they prefer the foes of the void king

>lesser daemons
Small and dull witted imp like beasts who's foul warp magic seems to cloud the mind of the unfaithful and the traitors to the void king before falling upon them in a wave of claws and teeth

>beasts
The beasts of the void king look like monstrous ghouls with large guts but thin arms and legs but don't let that fool you,the beasts of the void king posses a extreme strength and speed when they smell prey to fill the void in their stomach

>mounts
The greatest champions and daemons of the void king receives and large almost whale looking beast with stumpy limbs on the bottom of it,but speed is not what they are made for. Like the carnifex it is meant to plow forward and destroy all in its path on the way to its objectives

So yeah here is umaga the void king the chaos god of emptiness

Bump

How about a chaos god of protection and nurturing that smothers and codels people to the point of abuse?

I would like to see someone fluff out ideas for making Malal interesting and not just an edgelord God for edgelord Dark Knights.

My major problem with him is that it's pretty easy to put a finger on what the big 4 are about, what part of human evil they represent, and why people follow them. Not so with Malal, who has too much overlap with Khorne and doesn't seem to rep anything relatable.

Solutions?

I think Malal-as-Nemesis or as god of self destructive tendencies gives him a niche outside of just being chaos' resident contrarian. His themes aren't necessarily exclusive to Chaos dudes what fight Chaos, especially if you expand them out a bit. Take a page or two out of some other similar figure's books (I'm mainly getting Ebon Dragon but that's just me being an Exaltedfag. Same reason I think screams Kimbery) to see how an expanded repertoire would work for him

Malal is spite, he is betrayal, he's that special form of jealousy that drives you to ultimately hurt yourself to hurt someone else worse. Malal is a crab in a bucket, doing his damndest to make sure no one else escapes the boiling pot either.
I think his current stuff doesn't really suit him. His methods, his daemons, his blessings should be adaptive, used to undermine and corrode others, and especially to deny of his kin what they most desire. The berserker is given a quick, unviolent death. The cenobite falls without joy or passion or artistry, withering and insensate. The leper clings desperately to life in his final moments, despair and tranquility shattered, while the sorcerer's hopes are dashed and he scrabbles to protect what is from what may be

Admittedly those last two weren't the best, but Nurgle and Tzeentch are sort of hard to work with IMHO ,

Yeah. It's kind of lame how this writhing nightmare realm of the mortal psyche where anything is possible boils down to one of four flavors of demonoid with pretty one note MOs. It's fucking boring. It takes a lot of horror out of it when it's not some horrible unknown, but just some groups of jackasses.

Not to mention like two of the three chaos gods were largely created/made sentient by humans way back in the day. I mean fucking mongols and the black plague were enough to make some omnipotent supergods? That's dumb.

More warped Eldar Gods

Asyuryan

Once the great phoenix but now a burned out cinder clinging on to life. It demands an neverending flame against the non eldar and those who deny their calling to the flames of the Phoenix. Think of him as like Gwyn, a once mighty lord ruling a golden age reduced tp a pitiful being maintaing the fire on the suffering of others.

His ability is to invoke resurrection and reincarnatop of eldar souls through the life flame of other beings. It matters not the kindling, the daemons from the warp of his hated foes, millions of human souls even the Eldar themselves is suitable for those who still believe deeply in him

Greater Daemon: The Phoenix Lord, a majestic firebird reborn from the lifeforce of the countless souls. Its arrival brings a never burning fire against his foes and causes the faithful to spring back to life from his warmth

The Ashen: Remains of loyal Eldar souls who pledge their loyalty to him. They grow stronger from each soul they take. Fiery ashes flake from their body as a subtle reminder of their mortality

Pretty cool, user. Keep it up

Evil Eldar gods are my forte

Kurnous

Reborn to rekindle the Eldar desire to hunt. Kurnous hungers for the most dangerous game and his servants provide him with prey to hunt. The Eldar and their Dark kin will put aside ancient grudges to honor this perverted god and swore an eternal hunt against the Prince of Excess most loyal servants. The victims are hunted in macabre ways through trickery and deceit. A victim may be enticed by the promise of valuable goods only to be ensnared and killed or be chased down for several years by one of Kurnous faithful and be regarded as an easy kill.

Greater Daemon: Huntmasters serve as the apex glory of the hunt, adorn in tropies of destroyed titans, Hive Tyrant heads and various macabre trophies, they have mastered the art of the hunt and it is said the trophies carries a conduit to their return so bringing the trophy back to deny him may serve only as bait to bring more quarries

Lesser Daemons: Hawkhounds, an algamation of bird and beast, their senses are keen and sharp as their beaks and claws. Tailored to hunt certain prey, none is as effective as killing other daemons as they are. The only known flaw is they are focused on a single type of daemon belonging to another warp god during their summoning.

Think "constantly eating but never being filled, yet terrified that if you stop you'll starve to death within moments."

Mmmm, would it make sense for humans to have a pantheon? The only thing that makes humanity monotheistic is the overwhelming force of the Inquisition. Or is it better to have the Eldar serve as a foil to humanity in their faith?

I mean the regular chaos gods are basically a human pantheon. The only one of the big four that even really gives a shit about xenos is Slaanesh, and he still finds time to predominantly fuck with mankind. If wouldmaybe 've interesting to go whole hog and create a group of definitively, unabashedly human chaos gods. Guys spawned and influenced by the imperium and its predecessors

Guess the slave part is more slowly creeping in.
The normal inhabitant isnt that smart. They dont know, dont see or think they are spared by this fate.
Some are even very hopeless that they succumb to chaos.
Its like Trump or other politicians followers that have hard times under them but think in the end its better this way or will change for them.

There are many possibilities why someone would worship chaos.

Nice one. How about adding that?:

Umaga the void king
The void king represents all that is emptiness such as hunger and a unfulfilled life that most citizens in the imperium experience.
>He stands for completing the collection, the knowledge or taste of every flavour that exist.

His followers are clad in black and armored with bones
>or mix-matched armor
and are constantly besieged by a gnawing hunger with common mutations being emptiness of the stomach and mind.

>greater daemons
The greater daemons of the void king are hulking almost starved ogre like beasts
>with a maggot like mouthed-bottom with many feets and hands
who run forward, blinded by hunger and try to stuff anything that fits down their throats
> what his many hands could grab.
Although they prefer the foes of the void king.
>They mostly carry meat hooks, tenderizers and cleavers on chains from a flagellant.

>lesser daemons
Small and dull witted imp like
>mouth on limbs
beasts who's foul warp magic seems to cloud the mind of the unfaithful and the traitors to the void king before falling upon them in a wave of claws and teeth

>Devourers
>Humansized demons with a mouth on their bellies and meat cleavers in their hands.

>beasts
The beasts of the void king look like monstrous ghouls with large guts but thin arms and legs but don't let that fool you,the beasts of the void king

>mounts
The greatest champions and daemons of the void king receives and large almost whale
>or maggot
looking beast with many stumpy limbs on the bottom of it,but speed is not what they are made for. Like the carnifex it is meant to plow forward and destroy all in its path on the way to its objectives

>Worshipper
>Many that worship Umaga seek completion and compensate that by tasting every flavour they can find and fill their hunger.
>Even some Tyranids or Kroots are seen to march under his banner.

Maybe he is the chaos god for chaos Ogryns?

I would change him to be some sort of a parasite god.
Something like drain on the other gods power. Even this far that he dies with them.

All his demons should be ticks, leechs or mosquitos like.
His powers would be to feed on others blood, liveforce or misery.

There was also the chant of Chaos, which implied three new gods alongside the original four.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Veeky Forums_Heresy_Writefaggotry#Praise_to_Chaos

Is there anything on what the demon world history or what it really look like?

What if it was just another universe, not unlike ours.

Slaanesh kingdom
A race that had a high interest in art, psychology and sports. With an big industry of recreation, amusement and several tourismus worlds.
Originated from a water world and mostly inhabitated other planets with water.

Tzeentch Federation
Several different races and worlds united together to explore, seek knowledge and preserve wisdom. Very advanced and versed in research, science and magic.
From a system with many gas planets

Nurgle Hive
A race of doctors and geneticists. There is no illness they cant cure or stop.
Their society is a caste system, where the purest genseed are the highest. While the lowest are free to mutate for working purposes.
Like giving coalminers new loungs to work in dust and low oxygen.

Khorne Imperium
A warrior race, noble and proud, keen on using the sword to set disputes. Like Klingons maybe.
Believing in honor and hierarchy, which can be granted by spilling or drinking body fluids from others. Like you want to get stronger, slay someone that is stronger and get his strenght.

But they all where in rivalry. And thanks to outr universe got corrupted over time. Maybe we infected them to be demons or they searched for new weapons and tapped on our universe energy that corrupted their worlds.
So like greater demons are nothing than super weapons designed to fight the enemies but enslaved them instead.

So daemons are brainboyz?

They were a normal universe with different societies and galactic empires. Just like the 40k.
But got corrupted by the energy of the 40k universe. Both universes exist in the same space but different planes. Some energies between these planes exchanged and warped, corrupted or influenced the other planes.
Maybe one of the empires in the chaos universe tried to build some super weapons that feed on the 40k universe, like blackstone fortresses tapped into the chaos universe.
But in the chaos universe a super weapon backfired or some psychic thing in the 40k universe corrupted them.
And that perversed the chaos universe into what we know today.

bump

Bump

The Twin Headed god of Tyranny & Strife

Two desiccated eagle heads top a corpse-like body. It is colored in shades of gold & bronze, but tarnished & gaudy, it drags a cloak of thousands upon thousands of black souls of humanity, their screams & wails creating a symphony of agony.

It manifests with the death of the God-Emperor

This is the big bad I'm gonna use for my epic Dark Heresy game

Thoughts on Hashut?

Cu'salken

The god I'm brainstorming covers the feeling of fear and instincts. It has no distinct form, as fear is ambiguous, and its greater daemons follow this as well. Each is in reality a shapeless blob of warpstuff that is perceived by each individual differently. One may see it as a representation of ones greatest fear. It's lesser deamons take the shape of gangly spiders and snakes.

It's influence also comes from instincts. The primal fear one feels that compels them to act; fight or flight.

As for the legion it would corrupt, if you can't figure it or then you never will.
Here's a hint: it rhymes with fright chords.

Anything anyone wants to add?

Who?

God of the chaos dwarfs from Warhammer Fantasy.

bump

Bump for the bump God.

You mean him?
But in this thread is nearly no diskussion.