/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

4 days into barbarossa edition. RIP last thread, it died too young

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/download/00wws1c80x80gww/Haythornthwaite - Uniforms Of The French Revolutionary Wars.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3kbqyru9vdlnkfm/Osprey - MAA 403 - French Revolutionary Infantry 1789-1802.pdf
mediafire.com/download/8kbbvdb63tddbpz/Osprey - WAR 024 - Austrian Grenadiers and Infantry 1788-1816.pdf
mediafire.com/download/sr8goevlix2b2b5/Osprey - WAR 063 - French Revolutionary Infantryman 1791-1802.pdf
gajominis.com/blog/scenarios/bolt_action_ww1.pdf
ebay.co.uk/itm/25mm-Circle-Round-Bases-in-Laser-Cut-2mm-MDF-/361509617648?var=&hash=item542ba6fff0:m:m8uh_D1HxcW8XQ7KlqlhuNA
audatiagame.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=Cn36Pb8z3yI
wargamevault.com/browse.php?discount=92f9890dad
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I am building 15mm modern terrain for some Force on Force. Does anyone have any good pictures of 15mm modern stuff?

You might want to try over at /fowg/, since 15mm is all they're about usually.

Thanks for starting new thread. I've been AFK all day and certainly didn't expect thread to die so swiftly, that's like only the third time it's ever happened. Must be because of busy Sunday. Anyway, I'll post what I had prepared.

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead

June the 26th in military history:

363 – Roman Emperor Julian is killed during the retreat from the Sassanid Empire. General Jovian is proclaimed Emperor by the troops on the battlefield.
1243 – Mongols defeat the Seljuk Turks at the Battle of Köse Dağ.
1460 – Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick, and Edward, Earl of March, land in England with a rebel army and march on London.
1522 – Ottomans begin the second Siege of Rhodes.
1723 – After a siege and bombardment by cannon, Baku surrenders to the Russians.
1740 – A combined force Spanish, free blacks and allied Indians defeat a British garrison at the Siege of Fort Mose near St. Augustine during the War of Jenkins' Ear.
1794 – French Revolutionary Wars: Battle of Fleurus marked the first successful military use of aircraft.
1848 – End of the June Days Uprising in Paris.
1857 – The first investiture of the Victoria Cross in Hyde Park, London.
1917 – The first U.S. troops arrive in France to fight alongside Britain and France against Germany in World War I.
1918 – World War I, Western Front: Battle for Belleau Wood ends.
1936 – Initial flight of the Focke-Wulf Fw 61, the first practical helicopter.
1940 – World War II: Under the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, the Soviet Union presents an ultimatum to Romania requiring it to cede Bessarabia and the northern part of Bukovina.
1941 – World War II: Soviet planes bomb Kassa, Hungary (now Košice, Slovakia), giving Hungary the impetus to declare war the next day.
1942 – The first flight of the Grumman F6F Hellcat.
1944 – World War II: The Battle of Osuchy in Osuchy, Poland, one of the largest battles between Nazi Germany and Polish resistance forces, ends with the defeat of the latter.
1948 – The Western Allies begin an airlift to Berlin after the Soviet Union blockades West Berlin.
1991 – Ten-Day War: The Yugoslav people's army begins the Ten-Day War in Slovenia.

Today marks 223 years since the Battle of Fleurus, a major engagement between the army of the First French Republic and the Coalition Army (Great Britain, Hanover, Dutch Republic, and Habsburg Monarchy), in the most decisive battle in the Low Countries during the French Revolutionary Wars. Both sides had forces in the area numbering in the vicinity of 80,000 men, but the French were able to more effectively concentrate their troops in order to achieve victory. The Allied defeat led to the permanent loss of the Austrian Netherlands and to the destruction of the Dutch Republic. The battle marked a turning point for the French army which afterwards remained ascendant throughout the rest of the War of the First Coalition. The French use of the reconnaissance balloon l'Entreprenant marked the first military use of an aircraft that had influence on the outcome of the battle.

The Austrian commander, Feldmarschall Coburg, split his army into five columns and launched the main attack. l'Entreprenant, operated by the Aerostatic Corps, continuously informed General Jourdan about Austrian movements. The Austrians managed to break through both French wings, pushing back Marceau on the right wing and Montaigu on the left wing. But the French center under Lefebvre held and then counterattacked, and the Austrian assault petered out. Colonel Nicolas Soult, then serving as Lefebvre's Chief of staff, wrote that it was, "fifteen hours of the most desperate fighting I ever saw in my life."

Coburg neglected to press on and, uncertain of the outcome, the Austrian commander lost his nerve and fell back to Braine-l'Alleud and Waterloo, granting the French an unexpected victory. This was the final straw that caused the allies to retire back over the Rhine, leaving the French free rein in Belgium and the Netherlands.

It is generally agreed that the battle was a costly one for the French, with casualties estimated between five and six thousand. The Allied losses have always been in dispute. Traditional estimates attribute "considerable casualties" to Coburg's army, and hover near five thousand Allied killed and wounded. However, according to historian Digby Smith, Austrian-Dutch losses numbered 208 killed, 1,017 wounded, and 361 captured. In addition, the French captured one mortar, three caissons, and one standard, while the Austrians captured one cannon and one standard.

The victory precipitated a full Allied withdrawal from Belgium and allowed French forces to push north into the Netherlands. By the end of 1795, the Dutch Republic was extinguished. After Fleurus, the republican army would keep its momentum in the war, staying on the offensive until its eventual victory against the First Coalition in 1797. Politically, the battle invalidated the argument that continuation of the revolutionary Reign of Terror was necessary because of the military threat to France's very existence. Thus, some would argue, victory at Fleurus was a leading cause of the Thermidorian Reaction a month later.

As one of the grandest battles of the Revolution, Fleurus has a lot of colour and variety on a pretty epic scale, in the best tradition of 18th-century warfare. The use of the balloon adds an interesting element, finally giving a good justification for the wargamer's "eye of God"!

mediafire.com/download/00wws1c80x80gww/Haythornthwaite - Uniforms Of The French Revolutionary Wars.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3kbqyru9vdlnkfm/Osprey - MAA 403 - French Revolutionary Infantry 1789-1802.pdf
mediafire.com/download/8kbbvdb63tddbpz/Osprey - WAR 024 - Austrian Grenadiers and Infantry 1788-1816.pdf
mediafire.com/download/sr8goevlix2b2b5/Osprey - WAR 063 - French Revolutionary Infantryman 1791-1802.pdf

You really should train someone on how to do your job user, what if you die suddenly?

Who will pick up the slack?

We need to make it more compact so someone can just copy and paste the OP.

I love the perry war of the roses minis, what are some good skirmish level games for that period?

A few F-4s and MiG-21s painted for Missile Threat (this modern air combat game I'm working on)
Almost at the stage where I can start play-testing. Yes I have pipe-cleaner missiles.
Also waiting on decals so no tiny stars yet.

> Sticks neck out.

Lion Rampant?

Are we getting a bolt action WWI adaptation?

There already is an unofficial one. Quite a few people seem to play it too.

I did a bit of background searching and apparently one was planned for September 2015 but it was scrapped because of a lack of interest.

Bit of a shame really, WWI is rare to see and even rarer in 28mm platoon sized games.

This should give you everything you need:
gajominis.com/blog/scenarios/bolt_action_ww1.pdf

Thanks that's great.

I still hope Warlord decides to pick the period back up again one day.

Until then I'll use these and Renegade's 1918 collection.

Anyone has other Battlgroup books like Barbarossa, Blitzkrieg etc. that are not in the OP link...?

>because of a lack of interest
>let's just make more plastic Germans then!

that meme gets old fast when like the 10 last releases were non-german plastic kits

Don't worry, the next one will be plastic Waffen SS.

Also, we were talking about 2015 September.

About time.

WWII: Operation WhiteBox is a roleplaying game of WWII special forces action designed for compatibility with the Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox roleplaying game.

In WWII: Operation WhiteBox, the player characters (PCs) play the role of WWII special forces operatives. They may be formally trained and part of an officially designated special forces unit such as the SAS or U.S. Army Airborne, or they may simply be guerilla fighters dedicated to making life hard for the German Army. They may also be covert agents working for organizations such as the SOE or OSS. Whatever their affiliation, their job is to complete missions behind enemy lines, paving the way for the next Allied advance.

mega.nz
/#F!nlVkzaaI!DJpMkMnq-2Ax-PLiRvUgjg

No option to play as axies?

The system is basic enough to cover any unit you like, but the Brandenburgers and friends do get a special mention

Huh, neat. I'm not huge on old-school d20, but this isn't bad at all.

Thank you! I'm always looking around for interesting ww2 rpg's GURPS (although excellent) can become quite a hassle at sometimes.

Chevauchee!

Why is everyone screaming?

War is loud

>Why is everyone screaming?
From right to left:
"AHHH! My friend died!"
"EWW, this is GROSS!"
"He's already dead! So go ahead and FIX MY GOD DAMN WRIST!"

On second thought, fix number one to "Now I'll never get my MONEY!"

WHAT, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT ALL COMES DOWN TO?!

Lords and servants, which is just about to get its second edition.

Thanks for this, user. Just what I was looking for.

I feel for them a bit since I get the impression Warlord isn't rolling in cash but since they've gone to the trouble of making all the WWI tank kits you'd have thought it would be more cost effective to release an infantry kit and a book so people could use them.

>isn't rolling in cash
>make plastic figures for a sci-fi game with a somewhat low market

Antares was a mistake

Antares would be cool if they actually made good figures, right now most are just alright. The Ghar and Boromites are cool but the other more humanlike figures have odd or bad poses. The Freeborn just look horrible.

What's a good easy and cheap way to make 25mm bases?

Go to Aliexpress and order 100 of them for 8$.

ebay.co.uk/itm/25mm-Circle-Round-Bases-in-Laser-Cut-2mm-MDF-/361509617648?var=&hash=item542ba6fff0:m:m8uh_D1HxcW8XQ7KlqlhuNA

I SAY

Redenia does 52 stone road ones for $10. Australian.

Has anyone played Mortam et Gloriam?

M113

these are the wargames factory sprues for persian infantry. really shitty quality, but its amazing how a good paintjob makes them look great.

Anybody played this? audatiagame.com/

I saw something about that in the Song Of Swords General recently, it looked cool

Any tips on filing down the helmets on 1/72 plastic soldiers? I'm a total begginner at this. Using an old nail file doing circular motions on it but it doesn't really seem like I'm achieving anything.

For 1/72 I usually use a sharp craft knife / stanley knife. Carefully trim off the raised area you want to remove. Cut as close as you can to the actual surface without cutting into it. Filing or sanding can leave you with a rough edge, while cutting gives a smooth one.

Paint will cover a multitude of sins, so don't worry too much!

since my FLGS can't stock Vallejo and I don't want to ship, I'm gonna have to use these babies for Brits instead of English and Russian camo respectively. Zandri Dust will also be involved. Thoughts?

>don't want to ship
As someone who doesn't have an FLGS or a Vallejo stockist within 200km of him, I'm somewhat annoyed. Order the correct paints and don't be a cheapskate, in the longer run it'll pay off.

>Lords and servants
God I need an excuse to get me some perry WotR minis, they're beautiful, I love how everyone is in heavy armor aaaaargh

2p coins if you are in the UK, if foreign look at foreign coins. All of my 28mm figs are based on 1p coins.

Which one of you sneaked into the thread?

Wait really? Source?

they showed greens at the last salute i think. plastic king tiger too

Any pics? I thought those were for Konlikt 47.

Fantastic. Glad to know I won't need to use German grenadiers anymore.

whats wrong with the Grenadiers?

Doesn't really represent the SS smock in the way I'd like. It's a nice kit and does the job to a degree, but a dedicated kit is also nice to have.

True. Plastic minis with smock will be handy to mix them.

Intermittently working on some myself, am hoping I can use them to distract people from 40k for a moment or two. I can't help but want to build more than I need though, gotta have all the options...

1p is 20.9mm, 2p is 25.9mm, and this pisses me right the fuck off. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT. 1mm less would make both bloody perfect.

So the huge difference in price between 28mm and 10mm is really grabbing my interest. Can any kind anons suggest a good ruleset for 10mm World War I?

>a good ruleset for 10mm World War I?
It's ancient now but there's GDW's Over The Top, which was designed for 6mm thru 15mm. More recently there's Great War Spearhead. We have the former in our folders but sadly not the latter.

There is also Contemptible Little Armies (which we have) but I think it was designed for 28mm. Might be worth a look nonetheless.

Great War Spearhead 2 sounds really good. I have a hardcopy on the way, but they sell it in PDF too.

Are there anymore Battlegroup scans than just those in the OP? I'm looking for Battlegroup Barbarossa and Battlegroup Blitzkrieg.

M8, why the fuck do you ask it every thread? If there is, it'll be uploaded to somewhere and added to the folder.

Not a big fan of Guy Windsor but it looks cool.

Westfront, Raging empires.
There's one just called "WW1 Wargame Rules" which looks pretty solid, although its older.

They should all be in the OP mediafire folders

Jesus that is dope, sauce?

Me because that fucker was wrong. Napoleon was outnumbered in most of his famous battles and yet loses less men than the armies he is facing. The strength of the levee-en-masse did not lay it it's huge numbers, it lay in the morale of the soldiers and flexibility it gave the officer corps to recruit from the ranks.

Just look at some numbers.
>Austerlitz
Napoopan outnumbered by 10.000 men, loses 20.000 men less than the enemy.
>Jena-Auersted
Napoopan outnumbered by more then 40.000 men. 20.000 losses less
>Wagram
Outnumbered by 30.000
Losses a couple of thousand less then the Austrian losses.
>Leipzig
Outnumbered 1-2, Allies suffer 30.000 casualties more.

Napoleon fought hard and smart.
Except at waterloo
He hardly ever relied on manpower (when he did in Russia he famously fucked it up).

How can you use "than" correctly in a sentence, then fuck it up two lines later?

>Except at waterloo
And Borodino. Wtf happened?
Inb4 kidney stones or other illnesses.

Ok, also.
Austerlitz was really a defensive battle in which he counterattacked.

Jena was the battle at which Napoleon commanded and there he was only outnumbered by about half of that, Davout at Auerstadt really pulled the miracle there.

Wagram was fought on a large flat field in which a huge concentration of artillery guaranteed that both sides were going to take large losses, and whoever's will held longest would win. Napoleon was hardly a stellar general here.

Leipzig was a PURELY defensive battle, hence the larger allied losses. (similar at Dresden, which was still a remarkable victory.

Napoleon campaigned STRATEGICALLY aggressively to put his opponent in a situation where they would have to defend untenable areas, or even attack him. He was not really any more successful on the attack than other "good" generals of his day on the tactical battlefield, see Waterloo, Borodino, the bloodbaths at Wagram.

Napoleon's early campaigns in Italy and 1805-1806 (whilst armies were still small enough for him to micromanage, and opposing armies still hadn't embraced army reforms in his model) have really gone a long way to disguising a lot of mediocre performances, Eylau (in the snow), Borodino, Waterloo. Napoleon had his share of tactical "ducks".

I'm not arguing here that Napoleon wasn't a great (if not the greatest) commander, but I would strongly argue that his genius was in Strategic and Operational scale, tactically he was above average but certainly remarkably often unimaginative. Almost all of his campaigns were excellent strategically, except for the highly perplexing decision making in the 1812 Russian Campaign.

>but I would strongly argue that his genius was in Strategic and Operational scale,
I'm the biggest Napoopanboo you will ever meet and I agree wholeheartedly

>that pic
>that video
>the old lady calling americans and obama a bunch of cock suckers

topkek. Also plastic british airborne who look pretty sexy imo

Definitely picking them up for my 33rd SS.

I thought we already had plastic para's?

Got my 1/72 VBL from Model MIniatures, gonna build that next week hopefully. Also got a set of 5 dudes who are significantly out of scale with the rest of my Elhiem french. Amusingly the FAMAS is pretty much identically sized between the two.

youtube.com/watch?v=Cn36Pb8z3yI

anyone know of a good supplier of 28mm landing craft crew?

Also a good source for markings and camoflage on LVTs?

Pic related.

HIND & SEEK Discount Printed Titles - $8 instead of $14

Use this link:
wargamevault.com/browse.php?discount=92f9890dad

Ideally this is for those of you who bought the PDF and would like the printed version, but I can't really stop you if you want to buy it. If someone misses out, just let me know and I will add another discount or two.

There are only 5 discounted books available, for /hwg/ only.

Enjoy and happy gaming.

ta, I just bought one. i previously bought the pdf

also,

>Order Contents: £6.24
>Shipping (Royal Mail 2nd Class): £4.36

Still got nothing on what they charge to ship cards, but then IIRC they're only printed in America.

They have printers in UK and US iirc. I would think cards would be cheaper to ship but I've never ordered any from them.

They do print stuff in the UK, just not the cards, which makes it awfully hard to justify just picking up a deck or two. IIRC the shipping is awkward because thin books are cheaper to ship than thicker blocks of non-books.

I know its a shitty excuse but I have dyslexia, I fuck shit up all the time in my native tongue

I'm painting up some Napoleonic French line infantry from Warlord and I on every sprue there's a head with a chef's hat on. What kind of guy wore that hat? Can't find a picture of it now so here's a picture of Napoleon instead

Guess you mean the foraging cap.

I was meaning to put my 1/72 figures on individual 25mm bases. The plan seemed all and well until I noticed the fact these guys are way too long for that. The MG measures at ~26mm and the K98 is about 28. What base do you guys recommend for using them in skirmish games?