The nation of Rozzaria from Final Fantasy 12 has made me interested in the idea of a fantasy !Spain...

The nation of Rozzaria from Final Fantasy 12 has made me interested in the idea of a fantasy !Spain. What are some particular points about Spain that can be used to make a fantasy version of it?

Al Cid sucks and I resent having to boot one of my clan members to continue in post game.

Spain is quite unique because its geographical and religious history.

It's been the part of several big empires, and at various times on the forefront of several different wars.

I dont really think you can do fantasy not!spain without copypasting a lot of the unique history spain had.

Conquered several times
Large gold deposits
Wealthy
Strong Monarchy
The MRE's it issues it's soldiers are literally canned beans and bags and bags of condoms
Religious Fanatics
Strong Naval and trading power

>MRE's
Speaking of MRE's. I've heard of people doing some rather absurd things to get their hands on Canadian issued Rations.

What are some aspects of village/city life like? What are some stereotypes about the people?

>What are some stereotypes about the people?
MUH HONOOORR
Frequent duels over honor
Also horny as fuck
So frequent duels over fucking some dudes sister
Waifu represents the honor of the household, if someone impugns her honor it makes you look bad. If a nigger shit-talks your waifu you gotta cut him. Same for your sister.
Sister fucked a guy? Welp, either they get married or I gotta send her to a nunnery
Cuisine a mixture of European, Mediterranean, African.
Ditto the populace
Everyone is catholic
The priests are ripping everyone off
If you're not rich you're poor

Watch 'Alatriste' for an idea of a romanticized 1700's Spain. It stars Vigo Mortensen and has a couple of really good swordfights.

Don't know, how about you look up at how Warhammer did it?

Read Don Quixote for an idea of un-romanticized Spain

Excellent, any particular Norther African countries to draw upon in particular?

Which country in Fantasy Warhammer is suppose to be !Spain? Britannia is French if I recall and not many other countries are brought up (then again I don't know all of the different nations beyond the mainstay ones really)

Go read The Lions of Al-Rassan for a look at how Guy Gavriel Kay handled not-quite-Spain. The intersection of various religions, in both religious and secular/administrative life, as well as repeated conquest and reconquest are obvious "themes" of Spain.

>Moors
>That far south
>Not in Morocco, the land of the Moors
WE

>a fantasy !Spain.

There was a pretty sweet novel about a dude who's prophetized to die three times for Fantasy !Spain. He eventually pulls it off.

We raped multiple races into existence.

Those are for your protection.

>not lazarillo
>or picaresca

At least you understand quixote as what it was.

the funniest part of Quixote to me is it is held up as a shining example of the idealism of chivalry - exactly the opposite of what the author intended or wanted, since he was lampooning how fucking stupid Medieval romances were and the disconnect they had with reality.

>honestly thinking Don Quixote is this shallow

Estalia is knockoff Spain, but I don't know what you'll actually learn from looking at it since it's almost just a direct reproduction of the greatest hits of Spanish history with names changed.

Guy Gavriel Kay writes some pretty good shit about a lot of different cultures.

His china books in particular are rather fucking awesome. "Hey dude I'm a foreign emperor, and we're gunna give you 500 special horses for burying the dead in some bumfuck mountain that was the site of the last battle between our kingdoms. Everyone considers what you've done to be extremely honorable." "But uh... 500 of those horses is more than my empire has ever controlled at any point in time ever, that makes me like insanely rich" "YEP. Best figure out how to get those horses home without the military trying to take them, or people killing you for them. Oh and your romantic rival is sending ninja-assassins after you. Oh and the ghosts on this mountain fucking love you now, so you're attracting attention from other spirit world creatures" *later on down the line* "Oh hey, I'm the emperors most favored consort, little sister to your romantic rival who's now prime minister of the emperor. Despite most men being at risk of being killed for merely being in my presence, I'm going to have to ask you to get in this tiny little box with me so people can carry us around, I'm going to get handsy and flirtatious, and I'm going to do this all simply to let you know just how important the emperor thinks you are now; Oh and about those horses, those were gifts from a foreign ruler... your Emperor cannot be seen to be less generous to one of his own citizens than a foreign ruler, so you're about to get some major love from the emperor; as a starter you're not going to be killed for being alone with me and we're going to give you a ring off of his fingers".

Cinnabar mining, both for red pigment and mercury for gold and silver.

Bull fighting.

Celtiberians with falcatas and soliferrums.

Racist castes might synergize well with actual fantasy races.

Moor aesthetics such as geometrical tiles.

Their steel was valued in roman times already.

Unusual european emphasis on light cavarly.

Amazing job on conquering exotic murderous barbarians. Aztecs had many qualities, but their neighbors hated them for good reasons.

Don't forget the most important part
Can not into economics followed by centuries of constant decline

They got too good at getting gold and fucked their market. Then lost shitloads of it.

You spelled 'moops' wrong

This right here.

Wasn't there a setting that was high fantasy combined with Age of Sail, and the Spain expy is ruled by fucking spider witches or w/e? And the only heavy armor is made of dragon shit, cause it floats

Quijote its also a critict to medieval feudalism.

Isn't that more Italy than Spain though?

Ancient religion (see the lady of amboto)
Poet warriors
Catolicism
Noble bloodlines that are related with other families in not europe but now are weak.
Either intelectual or corrupt chief of the kingdom/empire because the king or emerperor doesnt give a fuck. (If its intelectual is hate by the population)
Age of sail
Picaresca
Looking good when you are poor(hidalgo)
Peasant revolts
Burgois revolts
Tercios
Inquisition
Cultural heritage (moor roman celtic germanic)
Bandits
Sexual encounters (fucking hot nuns was a popular theme in literature)
University student doing crazy things
Wine lots of wine
Duels
Muh honor
Adressing each other properly (vuestra merced)

That is only to dumb people who say that shithole of a movie/musical.

In simple Veeky Forums terms for the mebtally feeble unable to read the original; quixote is cervantes strawman that guy.

Came across more Spanish to me. Particularly the Duke.