Board Game Thread: Misplaced Nostalgia Edition

Last thread:
Pastebin:
>pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What's that game? You know, the one you played a bunch as a kid, but you realise now wasn't that great?

Are there any games from your childhood that still stand the test of time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D5BCB-mvwV8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What's that game? You know, the one you played a bunch as a kid, but you realise now wasn't that great?
Atmosfear/nightmare, it's shit, but fuck me, I still love it. TO THE BLACK HOLE WITH YOU ! MAGGOT ! I have almost everything they came up with : first game, all three expansions, the harbingers, the soul rangers, the dvd game, and even that Khufu game that was only avaialble in some parts of the world.

>Are there any games from your childhood that still stand the test of time?
Nah, it's all junk

Cthulhu Wars is back in stock, can anyone here who has played it say how it compares to CitOW, Blood Rage, or Kemet?

>What's that game? You know, the one you played a bunch as a kid, but you realise now wasn't that great?
Sadly my boardgame childhood was all garbage like Monopoly, Scrabble, Yatzhee, Clue. Games so bad not even the people who buy them actually enjoy them.

>thread
>no /bgg/
Heresy

>childhood
Stratego, which doesn't quite hold up as well, but can still be fun. LotR: Confrontation redid it better though

I still enjoy playing Stratego every now and again

It's the best of mass market, aside from maybe the SW:Risk (Ackbar's Gambit); but LotR has just that little extra theme that makes it better for me.

I can compare it to Kemet, since I've played both

Kemet is all about the fighting man-to-man. Cthulhu Wars you can fight plenty, but often times it's more profitable to plan careful moves, harass, and only strike in a surgical manner Maybe that's just because I've got the most games under my belt as Yellow Sign and Crawling Chaos, but multiple factions (even everybody) can coexist within a territory without having combat -- though if there's a gate in the region only one player can control it, that's hardly the only reason to be somewhere.

Similar to Kemet, action economy is CRITICAL, and the timing of your moves is going to be deadly important. Unlike Kemet, which has a fixed number of actions for everybody making it about turn order, Cthulhu Wars has your reserve of power, and more potent actions will generally cost more power (this is somewhat true of Kemet but you can action to gain resource and still only have N moves, good or not). But, you can't pass without being out of the round, which creats a cool mechanical tension where you have a big dramatic move you want to make and have to decide whether to fire it off early and take loads of potential responses and retaliations, or slowly bleed power rearranging desk chairs or taking minor moves, hoping your intended victim will short himself. This becomes especially important when summoning your Ancient One because (other than resummons of Cthulhu) it costs a LOT of power and will almost certainly let your opponents run rampant for a good chunk at the end of the turn. On the other hand, you'll have your god on the board which comes with a lot of benefits

My deadbeat uncle gave me an anniversary edition of Monopoly - it's the best thing he ever did for me, as it made appreciate learning something more complicated than Snakes & Ladders.

I still like Uno.
youtube.com/watch?v=D5BCB-mvwV8

Only now do I realize that Monopoly and Risk are enormously flawed and are not fun to play.

I can't think of anything that I played way back when that I'd still want to play today.

where in the world is carmen sandiego was my game back in the day

How do we stop this from becoming any worse?

You can't stop Cult of the New without falling to the curse of the Hipster.

>overproduced, overpriced legacy games taking the world by storm
I swear this hobby will completely go the way of video games within the next few years.

Is that what they call people who don't want to play gateway games for the rest of their lives?

Hey, I had that game, probably still have my mom's attic

System is already in place, just adjust the dummy ratings harder down. No one knows the exact algorithm already, so it wouldn't be hard to do.

ok /bgg/, recommend me Euros with high interaction that are preferably not worker placement, the more direct the interaction or more negative sum interaction, the better.

already have Chicago Express, Argent, Imperial and Archipelago, Age of Steam is coming in the mail, not convinced that TTA is for me

>games from my childhood that still stand the test of time
motherfuckin' Hero Quest, played a game of it a couple weeks ago actually

everything else from my childhood has most likely been trashed by now

we can't stop the cancer that is the increasing influx of adult babies who like their games to not be "mean", or need a "compelling evolving story" that has a limited shelf life

I'm going to be disappointed when Gloomhaven overtakes Twilight Snuggle

>Playing Secret Hitler for first time
>Be a fascist with one other bro
>Manage to pull off a win
>We decide to play again
>fascist again
>WITH THE EXACT SAME PARTNER
I was very tempted to just stop the game and ask for a redo, but i was Hitler the second time and not the first, and I doing so would have biased the redo (since everyone would know the same thing hadn't happened a third time since I stayed quiet).

Was a pretty fun pair of games though

But did you win the second game?

I did, in fact.
The only fascist thing I did the entire game the second round was bury the winning liberal agenda as president. (Which I was able to blame on not drawing any and called my partner a liar when they had claimed not to draw any)

By the end of the game I was basically a "Confirmed" Liberal, and so got to be chancellor right after we hit enough fascist agendas by pure deck screw for the liberals, so I was the only one that was "Trusted" enough to be chancellor.

It was pretty great.

Keyflower? It's got workers yes but it's also mostly bidding. Scoville too, it's not exactly worker placement and the blocking is fantastic screw the other players. El Grande/Tigris & Euphrates for area control

Almost all of them

>Are there any games from your childhood that still stand the test of time?
Scrabble is still an ok game desu. Also had Scotland Yard which actually holds up pretty well.

Gonna take a minute go shamelessly shill Lords of Hellas since the kickstarter ends in like 10 hours and they're getting close to their last stretch goal. If anyone wants to get in on that and hasn't now would be the time

>$250 for the whole game
I mean it looks fun and all but DAMN.

Yeah but to be fair the only expansion id say you really need is the 6th player City of Steel one. The rest are just fun additions/different win cons

any yall know a good chinaman/slav site to buy cheap counterfeit games from?

>Played Secret Hitler
>Five games, back to back
>Nine players
>Same fucking guy was Hitler for the first 4 games, by fucking fluke.
>Was also the first guy to get executed in the 5th game, on principle.

I'm looking at it and I really like the setting and aesthetics but it basically looks like a dudes on the map plastics pusher with very little nuance to it.

>asmodee is already the EA of boardgames

pottery

>scrabble
>bad

Has anyone had the chance to play Petrichor yet? How is it?

>How do we stop this from becoming any worse?
Ignore the rating average and just look at the velocity/momentum of the number of votes. It's a much more valid metric mathematically.

Fuck does someone do that?

No, but they should.

BGG currently adds some number of 'dummy votes' to counteract when a thousand nitwits give 10's to Gloomhaven without even playing it, but that fundamentally doesn't fix the problem, it just puts a soft floor on the number of nitwits. (I.e., if 500 nitwits give random 10 votes then BGG ignores them, but 1500 random votes will skew the rank.)

Ultimately what you want are games that people consistently keep giving votes to year after year. Ignore their vote (it's just based on random feelz anyways), just keep the fact that they voted.

There's no accounting for taste, but if a game receives consistent attention year after year then at least it's notable enough to pay attention to.

>puerto rico kicked off the list
This is no longer the world I grew up in.

what's your opinion on Kemet?

I saw it in a store recently and was interested but it's probably too demanding for the people I could play it with.

Duel is ok game,dammit.

Is it top ten worthy tho?

>who like their games to not be "mean"
Fucking this. I fucking hate this shit so much.

I've never encountered this and I think people on itt are making it up.

I guess no. But it still a better game that tonn of shiity "coops with teh miniaturezzz". With expansion duel deserves at least top 10 games for 2.

Well, just watch internet celebs cucks like Rahdo and learn.

to

It's not, my girlfriend gets butthurt when we play games with screw your neighbor type play. Really puts a damper on the sorts of 2p games we can play. I find that it's less pronounced with more players but I definitely knew a guy who would complain that everybody was picking on him when he was in first place.

Kemet (at least without the expansion which has too many unrelated stuff going on) is quite easy to teach so don't be shy. I'd call it "beer and pretzel strategy".

One must is printing all the power tile descriptions for every plater. Without that the game is neigh unplayable.

My girlfriend is the same way, but only with 2P games. She's fine when we can strategically pick who to stab, but doesn't like when it's just the two of us stabbing each other and seeing who comes out on top.

It's lighter than it looks, fairly satisfying if you want to mostly be slamming your plastic mans into the other guy's plastic mans, but still want a bit of strategic opportunity.

There are two necessities from all I've been told. Number one is a cheat sheet for what all the special tiles you can buy do. Number two is the Houserule -- Kemet is one of the few games I've played but don't own, and every time I've played the owner has declared a house rule switching the "Slaves" white tile, normally two-cost, with the "Hand of god" white tile, normally three-cost, because nabbing Slaves turn 1 with a pyramid upgrade left to perform was nearly unbeatable while Hand of God, though still good, doesn't pay off nearly as insanely in the early game

Interesting. My group usually races to a 4-tire tile i.e start with 2-1-0 pyramid configuration, upgrade it to 4th level for entire mana, pray twice, buy the upgrade (especially OP with Initative but I also like it with Divine Will as it let's you use the gold token to move to a temple and recover 2 mana, Priest of Amon is also good, Devourer seems like a counter for Initiative using this strategy).

>Clue
>bad

I used to think Clue was the shit as a kid but I played it a bunch with my family this past Christmas and it was kinda mediocre at best

Even as a guy who wins most games of scrabble, I don't enjoy it. It's not a game of interest decisions. Mostly it's just a game of obscure word dick waving and pushing your luck in hope you get a letter you want and hope it maybe can line up with a ridiculous triple word score.

Knizia's Tigris & Euphrates just got a reprint and it's often pretty goddamn direct when you start up wars and revolts. Excellent game.

Shogun, or the newer edition of Wallenstein which is the same game really, would be both definitely euro and very conflicty. Featuring everyone's favourite: the battle tower!

Kemet, Cyclades and their like definitely fall on the euro side of the divide, but they are combat games and should make the cut.

I think I'd agree that TTA might not be what you are looking for. It has wars and aggressions between players, but the majority of the game is very indirect interaction through the card selection, and focusing on your own gameboard.

My gf is the opposite, she only wants to play games where she can RIP AND TEAR her enemies.

What do people think of Spartacus?

What do people think of Imperial Assault?

What do people think of the Dark Souls board game?

What do people think of the XCOM board game?

>No interesting decisions to make
>No interesting player interaction
>Biggest deciding factor is just prior knowledge and if the random tiles you got work with the current board configuration
Awful. It's almost homework.

>Roll and move
>Incredibly trivial deduction
It's very boring

>Was also the first guy to get executed in the 5th game, on principle.
Kek, people want to fuck Hitler because it's Hitler and end up acting like Hitler.

Repost of my question from the other thread :
So I want a worker placement game with a "fun/interesting" theme (I play with normies and they can't look past that).
I narrowed my choices to Dungeon Petz and Champions of Midgard (+valhalla expansion). What do you think I should get ? Do you have other suggestions ?

PS : I plan on getting Robinson Crusoe too but it's a coop and I'm searching for a competitive game right now.

>What's their capacity for heavier games? If they can handle lots of options I might recommend Argent the Consortium.
I'm not sure they will like it. The heaviness and "screw you" will not mesh well with them. If it was an Harry Potter game it would be different though...

>I'm on a similar position, here's my research so far: /snip/ I'll probably just get Caverna after all and have people suck it up.
I tried that with Castles of Burgundy and it didn't work at all... maybe your players will be more open-minded

dungeon petz has a lot of shit going on, so if your friends are as normie as you say they may not sit through the rule explanation. what about above and below? theme is only kinda there but normies love the story aspect. also stone age. everyone gets the idea that cavemen need to eat, etc

>So I want a worker placement game with a "fun/interesting" theme (I play with normies and they can't look past that).
The starvation farming simulator of Agricola is by far the most fun worker placement theme, seriously. Very brutal, but very fun.

Unless by 'fun' you mean 'something to relax to with a beer'. Lords of Waterdeep is something like that, I guess. The theme execution in LoW is really retarded, though.

Robinson Crusoe is a genius game, but it's also a starvation simulator like Agricola.

>What do people think of the Dark Souls board game?
Grindy garbage
>What do people think of the XCOM board game?
Time limited app directed garbage

>The theme execution in LoW is really retarded, though.
By this user means that Wizards of the Coast made LoW about their D&D city Waterdeep in hopes that people will go "I really enjoy playing Lords of Waterdeep very much. Since Waterdeep is a city in Dungeons and Dragons I think it'd be fun to try out D&D."

And just like that they've spent $100 on the books alone while Wizards sits back and laughs their ass off.

> "I really enjoy playing Lords of Waterdeep very much. Since Waterdeep is a city in Dungeons and Dragons I think it'd be fun to try out D&D."
Has this actually ever really happened though?

Not to my knowledge but what other reason could there be other than to try and trick normies who don't know any better?

Had they actually shipped the game with miniatures instead of colored cubes, maybe.
The theme in LoW feels incredibly thin.

It's really bizzare. There's piles upon piles of artwork, lore text and such. But the theme is so slapped on I don't think I've ever played with someone who didn't call the warrior cubes "carrots".
I'm honestly not sure why WotC decided to make it a worker placement euro.

I liked it. Hard to win and requires a lot of luck but I enjoyed it

I'm wanting to get one of the BattleCON games, which one do you all recommend?

>Had they actually shipped the game with miniatures instead of colored cubes, maybe.
I'm incredibly cynical of everything so I'd guess that cubes are cheaper than miniatures

Devastation if you're not a poorfag, War Remastered if you are.
Fates and Trials are 3rd or 4th purchases.

I'm pretty sure that LoW is popular because of the cube-pushing mechanics, not in spite. There's something immensely satisfying in pushing those cubes for some reason.

They're not that newb to the boardgame thing and I can explain many games without them getting bored. Plus I need some meat on my games.
Stone Age seems to basic but I will look up the other game.

Agricola is specificaly a no-go. We tried it once with my gf (the 2p variante) and she said that she hated the theme and the "cheapness" of the art.
Isn't Champions of Midgard a strictly better Lords of Wd ?

Don't get it if you don't have someone to play with. It's so much better with the more difficult characters but it takes practice to learn which means playing it more then once a month.

Definitely worth it by a large margin if you play semi frequently. Easily one of the best 2 player games for me.

I believe there site has a mock up for 2 characters, print that out first and see how your friend responds to how it plays.

Is the difference just price?

The Black hole?

So a regular game then. Fun for you. Now try it 20 more times and get back to us. I for one fear that it's too RNG'Y

>What do people think of Spartacus?
eeh?
>What do people think of Imperial Assault?
Most people like it, even if it is pretty much a reskin of Descent.
>What do people think of the Dark Souls board game?
Meme garbage, slow and grindy. Literally its only claim to fame is that you'd be playing Dark Souls; in everything it wants to be as a board game it's KDM's bitch. (Well, except for minimum price)
App driven and real time, it'd have to be a new god among games to come back from that. It is not.

Different amount of characters and different characters all together.

If you like the theme pixel tactics is a fun and cheap game with the same characters used.

You're lucky. Mine will only play cooperative games since she hates losing, it's only okay if we lose too.

Devastation gives you some stupid amount of characters, I forget but it's at least 30. It comes with a bunch of extras like 4 player support, boss mode, PvE, and arenas.
War Remastered comes with 15~ characters and some arenas. Both releases have characters suitable for beginners all the way to expert, Devastation just has more variety. All characters are unique though, so once you know how to play there's really no "wrong" release to buy.

I'm not really sure why it's popular, probably historic reasons. I really wish the cubes had at least enough personality to know which cube is what, nobody ever refers to the purple cube as the intended wizard, it doesn't really feel like you're completing quests with adventurers, but more of delivering resources.

The art on original agricola really is quite horrible. 2nd edition improved on it. CoM I'd say is more fun as it has a lot more things going and the mandatory resource stocking on places that makes worker placement games be actually interesting, but it has all the dice rolling rng stuff in it too which a lot of people don't like as victory may depend on luck even with great strategy.

>it doesn't really feel like you're completing quests with adventurers, but more of delivering resources
That's probably exactly why it's popular. I'm pretty sure people who want a thematic storytelling experience aren't the ones playing it.

Yeah, I mean, it's okay as an introductory game to the genre, but it really lacks in both theme and depth, so I'm puzzled. Maybe the lack of depth is the point of it and I'm just too deep into the hobby.

>CoM and the RNG stuff
Doesn't the expansion Valhalla mitigate the dice rolling part ? When the dice screw you, you can get better warriors

Ah could be, I've only played the base game so not too sure how that goes.

>but it really lacks in both theme and depth
It's highly balanced and tactical. Kind of like the Splendor of worker placement.

Keyflower doesn't interest me, I'll have to look into gameplay videos of Scoville, thanks!

I've seen people prefer Tammany Hall over El Grande, I'll have to look further into those

already own and quite enjoy Kemet, don''t feel the need for Cyclades and Inis

I'll need to take a closer look into Tigris & Euphrates again, used to have it on my wishlist a year and a half ago then I removed it

as a /doom/fag this post makes me really happy

>XCOM
fucking trash that has nothing to do with the vidya, get Galaxy Defenders instead if you want a more authentic XCOM experience

Opinions on descent (2nd ed)?

>has nothing to do with the vidya
That's not really accurate, it mirrors the geoscape part of XCOM, people tend to only think of the vidya as the battlescape.

Oh yes, it's extremely balanced. So balanced, in fact, that it's really fucking hard to make a bad move. You'll need all the cubes sooner or later and they all have the same 4=2=1 value on every space and card. And if you get stuck with any, they're endgame points anyway. It's balanced to the point where the available quests and intrigue cards are more important in tipping the scales than your actual moves.

We stop giving a shit about this list

The strategy in Scrabble isn't only knowing words, it's about avoiding giving your opponent access to any letter/word bonuses (yes, 2 player is the only way to play), even if it means a lower scoring turn, and managing your tileset to plan for long words, so you can reach for those bonuses in one or two turns

I actually like playing words with friends more though. It tells you what counts as a word instantly, so you can try lots of letter combinations you're not sure about. It becomes less about being a human dictionary and more about what I said above. Also I don't play with randoms so cheating isn't a problem

that's true and I don't disagree with you there, but the base and mission parts feel too abstracted for me. ideally I would love those parts to have something more akin to Galaxy Defenders, but with a tile-laying exploration mechanic (say 3x3 tiles or 4x4) that involves relatively quick battles

Yeah the base defense could use a tweak, I think the problem is that'd make it a far different game than the other 3 roles. Right now all 4 play similar enough; watch what's coming, tell others, make sure to manage your own mini game. The intent was probably to make it so once you learned you didn't have to relearn everything the next time you played, because the dice resolution is the same and the problems are close enough, it's just what's new with your deck of cards.

On the whole the game isn't quite the hard co-op I wanted to replace Ghost Stories, but the theme is an upgrade and easier to get casuals into in my experience. I do tend to say "think of that control room in Independence Day" instead of using X-COM

While what you say is true, if what you like is laying tiles and paying attention to which moves you allow, playing some very competitive 2 player scrabble (as if regular scrabble wasn't bad enough) I'd rather play games that are exactly about that and remove the terribly boring words part.
Tigris & Euphrates for example.

When you step back and look at it, it's kinda impressive that LoW was made so well for beginners

The Gatekeeper would constantly BANISH you to the black hole.

It's not as dirty as it sounds.

>buy board game
>has really nice components
>really nice art
>really nice ideas
>really cool themes
>get into playing it
>it fucking SUCKS

Has this happened to you? What's her name?

A fucking board game based on my favorite RPG of recent years...and it's SHIT. I don't know what to do..