What's this battle maneuver called?

And why don't we see it employed more often?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/TpsFWBzDHkk?t=3m10s
youtube.com/watch?v=Z6XicBBN1l4
youtube.com/watch?v=saOFI1nocFw
youtube.com/watch?v=51BE_zrpyoU
youtube.com/watch?v=3acC49W3yQk
youtube.com/watch?v=JZjBJYPeUwA
youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's pretty rare, since usually an army gets to use it only once.

Fuck me, I bit the bait

Its called "Fucking up your ally's formation and sending your man to the slaughter just to look cool"

It's the "don't steal my kill you dwarf fuck" formation. Better hope you don't fuck it up because those dwarves aren't going to be moving those shields aside for you to retreat.

I don't know if it has a name, but who cares because its stupid?

they are jumping INFRONT of a spear wall, defeating its entire formation, and putting themselves at risk from friendly fire impalement from transferred monument of the orcs

even in the movie it was more the elves being guilt tripped into helping, saying fuck you to the dwarves, and cutting in front of them

its a artsy-fartsy action movie, don't expect it to make sense

Is this one of these threads that are supposed to make fun of a fictional race because of a particular scene, despite the entire movie being completey dumb in general?

the only even moderately redeeming factor of this garbage scene was that in the book tolkien wrote the elves did jump forward and charge out of their defensive position. But when you see it like this it just looks full retard

It's called the "Elves are literally supermen in this setting. Who cares."

With as many elves as the setting demands :^)

>What's this battle maneuver called?
Gay.

Stupid
It's called Stupid
Why isn't it used more often? Cause it's stupid and offers only downsides

>Be superior Supermen
>Hide behind inferior Manlets
>Manlets get the glory
Now that's stupid why would you let them get the glory when you literally are better than them? And who's to say you can't just run back over their heads when you've killed enough

At least you didn't use that giant spinning ballista-bolts scene

the what

"Stupid"

The Elven name translates roughly to "Iron Lemming Graceful Leap".

In the human tongue it is known as "Leeroy's Leap" or "Leeroy's" for short, named for a story in which a human knight (Sir Jenkins) grew impatient to fight, and leaped over his own shield-wall to confront the enemy. He is said to have fallen in battle, but the maneuver lived on. Additions to the legend include the noble shouting his own full name, leading to its use as a battle-cry.

This
youtu.be/TpsFWBzDHkk?t=3m10s

>implying that wasn't cool as fuck

This movie is like watching a game of warhammer fantasy desu

So that's where the goats came from!

Some of them probably ran down the mountain in such a way the dwarves got them.

Holy shit that was some of the most bloated CGI I've ever seen.
Literally none of that looked real, save a sparse few characters. Even when they weren't copy pasted they still looked like something out of a blizzard cinematic, nothing like LOTR.
Glad I stopped at the first of that shite trilogy.

Ahahah what the fuck
>this fantasy shit is boring, how can we implement point defence systems and missile defence shields

its called: a beautifully well formed pike phalax being ruined by pansy pointy eared fops

cool and stupid

how did we go from this:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z6XicBBN1l4

to this:

youtube.com/watch?v=saOFI1nocFw

Peter Jackson was always a hack

This should could potentially work if they let the orcs crash into the shieldwall FIRST and then did their cheesy elf walking over shit and started meleeing from ABOVE standing on the orc's heads.

The studio ordered these movies made as a blatant money-grab, and PJ did the best he could to make the results not-completely-shit. Unfortunately, the studio kept making him do rewrites for 'wider appeal' (see: the whole Tauriel/Kili romantic subplot bullshit), and there's only so much time and money you can spend polishing turds.

You missed the best scene, user.

youtube.com/watch?v=51BE_zrpyoU

Same way we went from this:
youtube.com/watch?v=3acC49W3yQk

to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=JZjBJYPeUwA

This pic is a lie... Disney herded these lemmings off the cliff just cause they could.

You know the film crew chased them to that cliff? And then when they wouldn't jump-- because that characteristic was completely made up, they just started kicking them off?

Good, it was a shit movie made like shit

>fun fact
>fun

>they printed the faces of actors and put them on a tube
holy shit

Sauron won.

I hated how the Dwarves set up their kickass double-shield phalanx not once, but twice, but never got to actually fucking use it because people kept breaking formation

Like seriously, they spend all that effort getting into place, and everyone just refuses to let the orcs run into the spears and wail at them ineffectually for a bit

>You can actually seee elves jump *through* the speartips
>Wherever they land, the orcs just break apart as if these lithe elves are as heavy as canonballs
I'm pretty sure this maneuver is called "the Power of Editing".

When Sparta met the coalition forces at Thermopylae.

No, I actually know Peter Jackson (relation, NZ is small), he went full Hollywood about 10 years ago.

>vertical insertion into an armed mob
Still IDF tier stupidity

>Battle of the Five CG Armies
>Artsy movie

Go back to your fidget spinner user.

>24fps youtube videos
Congratulations, you have successfully removed the only good thing about BO5A.

Does anyone else feel Azog deserved to win that battle? I mean, they grossly outnumbered the peasant/elf/dorf forces, had a broad army makeup snd to be fair had a reasonable grasp on field tactics which I'm impressed a lot of the orcs followed up on and they all seemed to have a grasp on what they were doing. Aswell as even more reinforcements that came.

FUCKING bullshit that they lost, there was really no reason for them to have.
Tl;dr Azog the Defiler did nothing wrong.

In the actual book the battle is only very sparesely described, but Gandalf shows up with eagles and shit

That happens a lot in media. The villain is clearly more intelligent and has everything better planned out, but loses because he's the villain and not for any plausible reason. This is why a lot of people end up rooting for the villain: he wasn't defeated, he was robbed.

It's the "wait for elves to jump over your shields so you can stab those filthy creatures in their back" maneuver, not many battles have elves and dwarves on the same side for this reason

It was so despately more obvious than other movies this time around mind you, it was depressing.

It's like watching a videogame quick-time event.

It's really common thing when you are doing scenes that don't have the other actors present on the scene. Basically it's just to get the movement of the head and other subtle details when you are talking to people in a scene.

Long story short they got fucked by producers and Del Taco leaving the production

youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk

Never had enough time to think things throw like they did with LotR (lots of stupid shit was cut from that trilogy). It also a reason why there's so much CGI

It's called the Hammer of Fuckyou

More like warhammer age of sigmar. Fantasy was`t THAT retarded.

Hell, PJ didn't even want to do it, but the studio kept pouring on the line with a bit of carrot for the ego, a bit of stick that only executives can provide - "well if you don't do it we'll get someone on else, and they'll make a mess, and we won't let you work on the franchise again"

That, the pace the execs demanded (a movie every fucking year), the change in directors, the fact that the actors then all had to work on this unscripted unstoryboarded mess (there's a reason all those Martin Freeman middle finger gifs exist) and the increased capabilities and dramatically reduced costs of CGI all come to a head in some shitty, shitty movies.

Yeah. That's basically par for the course for old Disney nature documentaries.

I cannot begin to describe how much that irritated me at the time.

I still love all the ass hurt people get from this, I watched all three and didn't give a shit since it was just a few hours of my time and its fun to talk about how stupid some scenes were.

If you want serious fantasy watch LOTR, if you want Memes and Stupid shit watch Hobbit.

seeing as the elves immediately dig into the ground like submerging into liquid i would say this tactic is essentially escaping the battle into safety

Huh. Wonder why they left that out of the theatrical version.

I loved this scene in the book as a kid. I remember walking to jr. high and re-reading the sentence where the armed dwarf chariot made a sweet jump and simultaneously decapitated six adolescent trolls.

>I watched all three and didn't give a shit since it was just a few hours of my time
That's your entire fucking day.

>I'm too young to value my own time
ok

That clip...Jesus fucking Christ. Who's fucking idea was that?