/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

"Won't touch it unless it's official" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.0.0) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
mediafire.com/file/sbaiodixbeoxxd1

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Prev: Besides the Horus Heresy and the modern Dark Millennium, do you ever consider running games in other periods, like the War of the Beast or the Macharian Crusades?

Those time periods are meme periods. Nothing concrete is known about them. Thats why everything is 800M41, thats what FFG has defined for us, so that is what we use. End of discussion.

I've had games as far back at M38 but no, I've never put my players in the middle of existing events, mostly because it renders the players irrelevant due to the event being a foregone conclusion, or the players find a way to muck stuff up and entirely change the event. Both of which are reasons I think Black Library books based on existing events are, with rare exception, their worst..
I mean, I'm sure you can wave away shake ups in the event with "Everything is True" or "loose canon" whatever the in-phrase is for that at the moment, but it's just easier for me to come up with my own stuff for the players to deal with.

If anything that's a plus, less canon to get in the way.

In fairness, you could go the Inglourious Basterds method and if your players do somehow end up changing events, actually just go with it. It might not shake things up hugely in the grand scheme of things but no reason they can't have an impact; you're not defining the setting for everyone, just your group, so why limit yourself?

That's probably what would happen. We tend to treat novels, codices etc. as loose canon, with the final say being up to whoever is GMing. While what happens to the parties is solid canon since they were right there and watched it happen. Still inconsistencies across GMs, but whatever.
I don't think avoiding big events like the Macharius Crusade is limiting though because I'm busy making up my own events to see how they turn out.

I've sent players back in time via Ordo Chronos to the Horus Heresy, I've sent others forward, almost 800,000 years ahead, to see the consequences of failure, and I've had two teams in the same mission, two years and three games apart. In many cases, they were there to see why and how things happened, as opposed to what things happened. In each case, a new time period was rather jarring and prompted a completely new mindset on the spot. I think that if it was explained from the beginning, that mindset is easy to get into.

In retrospect, there was only one time where one player explicitly set out to change the future. It worked, somewhat humorously.

So how much XP should Rogue Trader characters have to be even with a DH Grey Knight?

Is Dark Heresy ok for a first-time GM?

Yeah, it was my first system and I had a great time. Almost killed one of my players in the first session after pitting them against a man with a chain axe. Fortunately they were right next to a hospital which I decided subconsciously to have. Didn't think they would need it.

yes

hospitals are coddling

Is there something like a voice modulator in one of the splatbooks? Something that could be worn under a collar or something to change a PC's voice to make it unrecognizable.

In the Dark Heresy Game Master's Kit, the Slaught have some item that does something like that. Look at the end of the book in their stats.

So I discovered Stub Rifles in Black Crusade, and threw them through the Variant Pattern rules for something nice to equip a Severan Dominate regiment with...

>Severan Automatic Stub Rifle
>Base Weapon: Stub Rifle (BC pg154)
>2 Positive\2 Negative

>High Impact (+2 Damage with Aim Action)
>Incredibly Lethal (Proven 2 Quality)
>Fixed Pattern (-10 Logistic for Good\Best Craft Versions)
>Rare Model (-20 Logistic Test to Acquire Outside of Issue)

>120m - S\0\0 - 1d10+3 I - Pen 1 - Mag 5 - Reload Full - Accurate, Proven(2) - 5.5kg

Really wanted to give it Manual Operation, but oh well

Halp, guys. I'm running Deathwatch for a local group, and I've houseruled it extensively... making the psychic powers actually make sense, updating certain aspects of the rules, including equipment. One thing I'm torn on bringing up to speed with OW is the single shot/semi auto/full auto (and standard attack/swift attack/lightning attack) paradigm. Do you guys think it's worth changing? I think it's less immersive, in that in the newer system full auto weapons are only useful in the hands of a trained expert and any old fool can use a single shot weapon, which is kind of the opposite of real life. But the system is so much cleaner.

What do you guys think?

>What do you guys think?

I lamented the loss of that big ol' bonus to hit from Full Auto, but its not that huge a loss. The best benefit you get from Full Auto weapons is the ability to pin enemies, and stacking hits is just icing on the cake.

I think one of the ideas behind the concept of "better single shots, worse full auto's" was balance, and the idea that trained users (weapon training talent) means you know how to put accurate single shots down range.

I can see the benefit of either way, honestly. I'd say, go with whatever you feel the most comfortable with

If you switch to the OW standards you run the risk of hordes becoming too hard to grind your way through...

>Calls it an automatic rifle
>Only has S/-/-

I guess I should have made the distinction for autistics with a "Semi-" before Automatic. But hey, I thought that was implied. Its why I posted the picture of an M1 Garand instead of a Mauser

I'm not familiar with the system. What is the "s" in "s/0/0" actually stand for?

Single shot.

Most of my games take place between 100-900.M41 in a homebrew sector (Acheron, for those of you who've seen me post the homebrew), but I've considered running a Dark Imperium era game because of the absolute shitstorm it would be what with the sector being in the Imperium Nihilus side of the Great Rift.

>Thats why everything is 800M41, thats what FFG has defined for us, so that is what we use. End of discussion.
How about you go fuck yourself with that there pseudo-religious dogmatic adherence to a fucking roleplaying game of all things.

......ah. Well then......

I was going to go on a tl:dr about how firearms nomenclature has changed over the years, and how not being pedantic is generally only an issue when discussing firearms in a historical context. The ol' clip vs magazine deal.

But you're actually just completely wrong.

A Mauser is not semi-automatic. How you even know the difference between it and a Garand without knowing that much is beyond me.

This is a setting where technology is a religion, and heresy is punishable by death. A techpreist using nomenclature that incorrect would likely be executed.

I think giving it the accurate quality might make it a bit too lethal with the high impact as well. Maybe instead increase the proven quality if they aim?

The Singleshot/Semi-Automatic/Automatic designations are rules terms, not in-universe terminology designating the amount of maximum hits a weapon can have as well as the amount of ammunition consumed in an attack action.

It's a rules abstraction that uses real-world terminology retardedly.

BC stub rifles are accurate by default.

>I think giving it the accurate quality might make it a bit too lethal with the high impact as well

It already comes with the Accurate Quality, which is why High Impact is a rather nice fit. The only thing it needs is Reliable, which is why I made Good & Best quality versions harder to get

>A Mauser is not semi-automatic. How you even know the difference between it and a Garand without knowing that much is beyond me

Your responding to the wrong person

What I'm saying is if the IG put in an order for any gun called "automatic" and got something bolt-action instead, people would die.

First every last IG the order was for, by whatever they were supposed to fight, and then whoever was involved in the ordering fuckup, by the inquisition.

It kinda takes players out of the game when you're screwing up lore THAT badly.
Yeah, I realized that after posting.

>It kinda takes players out of the game when you're screwing up lore THAT badly.
Except the fact that the Departmento Munitorum fucks up ordnance and supply deliveries all the time based on the incredibly dark joke Imperial bureaucracy is written as. There's even prominent rules for such events happening in Only War (Mission Assignment Gear p. 165). Hell, even the Imperial Infantrymans Uplifting Primer gives instruction on what to do in case of the Department Munitorum delivers the wrong stuff iirc.

So no, it doesn't fuck up the fluff. Even someone being shot for the fuck up is not guaranteed because of the byzantine nature of the Imperium, where plenty of valid excuses in the bureaucratic chain can be found to point out "It wasn't my fault! He filed the form incorrectly!/He requested that equipment by filling the checkbox CD902857-D8756 rather than CD908257-D8756..." and etc.

It's...named wrong, dude.

"Severan Bolt-Action Stub Rifle" or "Severan Stub Rifle" if that isn't already a thing

There ya go.

I'm not the user that made it.

will they ever lic out 40K to another RPG publisher
say like Green Ronin (AGE system)?

Green Ronin, fuck that. The Cubicle is going to make new line of 40krpgs too probably.

Green Ronin is fucked, I recall this bumfuck of Game of Thrones rpg being fucked, with extra sprinkled stuff like

>Oh yeah, this is Tyrion Lannister/Stannis Baratheon statline, you can introduce him to players but oh yeah, remember that he has godmode since he cant die till the events in the GRRM books.

who are The Cubicle? what RPGs did they make

One Ring rpg, it's solid. They are going to make aos one, wfrp one and probably 40k one too

In my OW/DH game I homeruled bipods/tripods to give a +10 to burst/full retard fire. Helped balance the penalties and gave people incentives to actually use the damn things. Their ability to be used on basic weapons now has a purpose and even if a heavy gunner gets Bulging Biceps mounting your gun is a worthwhile choice.

Dh1 or 2?
Either way, in the thousands, if you are taking gear and such into account.

A DH2e disguise kit comes with one stock.
I used the OW/DH version because it makes full auto less the greatest shit ever, and no, spray and pray does NOT increase your chance to hit, it just makes friendly fire more likely.
It's like saying side sweeping is a superior way to shoot, versus aiming down the sight.
>How about you go fuck yourself with that there pseudo-religious dogmatic adherence to a fucking roleplaying game of all things.
This.

My GM gave them a bonus to damage on single shot, and a bonus to hit on semi/full auto.

I think I need a new group. I wanted to run a horus heresy game, but nobody wanted to join. They said it didnt feel right. Instead they wanted me to run DH2 Generic Hive Investigation #27302

S/0/0 signifies that the weapon is by no means automatic. A semi automatic weapon would at least have S/2/0 or more likely S/3/0, the Mauser you later posted works for a S/0/0, and definately should do more damage than an autogun since both semi and bolt action or repeater rifles tend to use bigger rounds. Bolt actions could possibly get accurate, but should definately have reliable by default, with the exception of that fancy smooth blaser action.

Use the rules for Pinning and automatic fire suddenly becomes far more sensible even when you aren't as likely to hit. Seriously, one of the best ways to improve the tactical depth in your games is to go and read up on how Pinning and Fear work, it will make your players think much more in combat.

It's very simple. The trick is to just focus on fighting shit.

If you cant find the That Guy in your group, you are That Guy.

Being in a BC party with one space marine and the rest humans is suffering

What are the weirdest builds that you can make with a human in Black Crusade?

I've been thinking of making an unarmed combat sorcerer, but I'm thinking I'll kinda fall behind a bit too much when we start getting gear.

Not quite a human but another player in our game made a kung fu magical tzaangor. He casts from afar then when shit gets close he beats them down.

our psyker's body count was basically on par with the CSMs' back when I GM'd

besides, suffering is the name of the game, try to enjoy it and then inflict it back to the world. your gods will be happier, you're will be happier

>That picture
And I just imagined Doomguy fighting the perils of The Warp

I wonder how this fucker would do agaisnt an Ultramarine

Any rules for horses or other mounts?

Only War and Black Crusade have them

Yes, in Hammer of the Emperor and Dh2

Judging by the latest game, he'd be mostly on equal terms, except a manlet.

>a semi auto only firing once a round
>Really wanted to give it Manual Operation, but oh well

1. you did
2. fuck the rules just make what you want, slap it on there anyway

Tau in Rogue Trader.
Is it better to use the official rules or the Fear and Loathing rules?

The Fear and Loathing rules (Fire and Earth) caste are modified base classes (arch militant and explorator) according to the author. The Cadre Fireblade, having played one myself, is really fun with its orders, but the pathfinder is lacking in comparison. The earth caste is a drone pet class, and didn't appeal to me. The official rules are a hybrid of fire and earth, but severely dependent on fate points and multiple attribute dependency. it can become a pathfinder or drone controller through elite advances. The Tau in The Fringe is Yours are way different than the other two sources, being focused on vehicles and social / economic combat. Overall, for a combat tau, I liked the Fireblade best, then the official rules, then the other two in the book.

I'm forever without a group. Will I ever get to play this game? I bought it when it was new and I have a few of the splatbooks on the shelf.
Life is suffering. The only group I can join is Lord of the Rings and I'm not that keen. At least I have my models.
Sorry for the blog

Sick, thanks

One thing to watch out for - the author used "Certification" talents to grant gear to some of the classes, the same way the signature wargear talent from Deathwatch works. The other book had an optional adjustment to grant +20 to the acquisition test rather than the signature wargear effect, similar to something the official Tau book used. Talk it over with your GM which one works best for you.

Someone call the lnquisition, cause we got someone here who is so stupid he must be a debased accursed mutant.

You are forgiven, my son. How come you can't find a group?

So I'm making an Only War regiment to try and get a game going with my D&D group: Harakoni Warhawks. Elite heavy drop troops.

I'm stuck on their regiment standard kit on whether to give them Storm Trooper carapace or light carapace and allocate points for extra equipment (like grenades). They're already getting micro-beads and photo-visors or preysense goggles.

Also what is light carapace? Didn't know it came in light.

Light carapace is arbites standard.

Sorry if this is really obvious, but what beyond the homebrew stuff in the OP would you lot recommend if I were planning to set a campaign loosely around Mars or another massive techno planet?
Anything lore or fluff would be best, I'm likely not to be using the FFG rules.

>Nothing concrete is known about them.
Except The Beast time period and the Macharian Crusades are exceptionally detailed by Black Library.

I am 100% finished with this map. Finalized the placement of all the worlds, finished all the system elements, completed all the complex nebulae art.

I also have 11,000 words/26 pages of fluff on the setting that I need to finish and edit down.

I might set stuff during the Reign of Blood or Plague of Unbelief if I want story-driven adventures, or anything set between those time periods and the Time of Ending for stuff that doesn't get dragged into the End Is Nigh plots and events of late 40k.

Are children with Down Syndrome considered mutants in the Imperium?

>There will never be a hi-quality PDF of The Lathe Worlds in the Mega
SAD!

Thanks for spoon feeding a dense motherfucker.
Just gonna pretend I forgot about those.

Yes. They're genetically impure.

Given what you're going for I WAS going to argue to give them Light Carapace but they apparently weigh exactly the same. Anyways, it's up to you. Stormtrooper Carapace is what they wear in the lore but if you want to give them a little more challenge just tell them light carapace. Or potentially make them wear light carapace if they are green recruits and after a mission or two award them their full suits.

>I'm forever without a group.
Start one. GMs are in much higher demand than players, so running a game is the only reliable way to have one.

Ah gotcha. Neat.

That's not a bad idea. I'm gonna consider doing that. Like maybe after their first successful combat drop via grav-chute they'll get their storm trooper armour. Thanks.

Unfortunately Stub Rifles do not have Reliable by default.

There is a trait in the Variant Pattern Design that treats Good Craft versions as Best Craft - that can be rewritten, or a similar trait added, where Common Craft is considered Good Craft.

Ultimately it doesn't matter much. I wanted to make these rifles formidable for the Fourtheden Pioneers regiment of Severan Dominate without being something that PC's would want to toss their M36's for. The Rifles being Accurate, doing a minimum of 7 damage with an Aim action, and using Ammo they can pick off the dead might be too good to ignore anyway. Not that this is a bad thing.

So I've got an idea to start off a campaign of Dark Heresy and was wondering if I could get some advice, critique, or feedback. The general idea is that all the PCs begin the session bound, gagged, and blindfolded, and can hear the sound of a crowd trying to be quiet, as if they anticipate something. It eventually becomes obvious that they are not the only prisoners, and that the prisoners are all captives to a cult about to enact a dark ritual. What happens next depends on their actions and whether they succeed. They'll be given requisite skill checks to escape their bonds and get their senses and communicate, starting with just enough Fatigue not to impact stats. I'm hoping to build tension as the ritual goes on with the perceived deaths of their fellow captives and dread that they will be next. Spice it up with some minor Warp Phenomena if lots of NPCs die before they figure something out. I figure it goes one of several ways:

1. The PCs break loose from their bonds, disrupt the ritual, escape, and return to their daily lives... until agents of the Inquisition give them an offer they can't refuse.

2. The PCs botch rolls and get to deal with hearing some awful shit until Inquisitorial agents who had been posing as prisoners and cultists alike surreptitiously free them and others to disrupt the ritual. Depending on how it plays out, they get rounded up in the aftermath or get aforementioned invitation if they escape.

3. Both the PCs and the hidden agents eat shit on all rolls, possibly resulting in numerous agent deaths and the ritual nearing completion before the doors are locked in by Arbiter and a very pissed Inquisitor with demotions, purity checks, and bolt rounds aplenty (with plenty of demonstration by the latter).

In any case, the Inquisitor groups them up and throws them at some minor shit, clearly unwilling to allow them to return fully to their former lives but skeptical about the odds of their success (barring situation 1). Thus begins thy service.

>PCs begin the session bound, gagged, and blindfolded

Usually not the best way to start a campaign - its about as cliche as starting in a Tavern.

Do you know what kind of Characters your Players are making? Build an introduction and Inquisitorial pull based on who the characters are. Better yet, if one player makes a character whose already an acolyte, the prelude can involve that character going around recruiting the others, and you can have little vignettes of the characters doing their usual jobs before being pulled into Inquisitorial duties.

Just my suggestion

They are premade in one of the splatbooks anyway i think

Guys, i'm going to GM DH to a bunch of friends that know absolutely nothing about 40k but got interested when i said i wanted to run it. Any tips on how to run the first session or at least to familiarize them with the setting?

The best way to do that is to embrace the pulpy nature of 40k and say "it's just a bit of judge dredd mixed with starship troopers" and then add whatever's necessary to that. The intro text in most books covers everything if not, "the laughter of thirsting gods" or something.
It may not be the best idea to begin the campaign with the players in chains. Those can work in rags to riches campaigns, but that's typically not a Dark Heresy campaign. You could have the similar concept, but maybe have one of the PCs undercover, and they're hiding in the crowd of the ritual while the other PCs race to the scene to deal with it. If you don't want to split the party, have it be an NPC who the PCs are currently tenured to. You get the cults, the drama, the pacing and tension but the PCs are as in control of the situation as they'll get.

Thoughts on my Loot table? For a campaign based on scavenging a huge desert that's also a voidship graveyard. No Inquisition, no daemons, just shooting the shit trying to make ends meet, pretty low power level. Social/Exploration with a lot of vehicles 'n' combat.

If you can think of anything good to go on here, homebrewed or not, I'd love to throw it on.

This is for a fairly default ship. Transport, but I'd like to make versions for other ships too.

Decent variety, but I'm not seeing any food or water?

Tell them that they're gonna play Catholic Space Nazies.

How do you roll 100+ on this table?

Initial Awareness test, followed by a d100 roll, with +10 for each DoS scored on the initial test. Like the shock table.
Ah yeah, the thought being these ships have been derelict for a fairly long time, but of course - Imperial rations do keep forever. I'll add some on. Any other suggestions?

I don't have a group, was considering starting one since my current GM seems intent on running the premades and nothing after. Must be my inexperience talking, I didn't realize that would be so cliche.

The initial idea was to give the PCs some kind of initial unifying event instead of just saying 'You already work for this guy, now he wants you all to work together," and for that event to happen before they're inducted as Throne agents. Otherwise point taken.

>Any other suggestions?
I would include, with odd or even numbers, scraps of clues to several major events that happened, plot hooks for something to lead to a climax.

That's an awesome idea, any ideas for default events to have happened on a ship? I'll try and think of a few.

>A group of Hereteks has taken up residence in the ship's Enginarium.
Clues:
>Plasma drives have recently been spooled up, albeit running at very low power.
>Fresh cables can be noticed by anyone with a tech background or whose perceptive enough, along w/ tracks, signs of other repair work.
>Servitors, servo-skulls won't approach past certain points.

>The ship was a wolf in sheep's clothing, most of the scrappers have only seen the obvious stuff, but it was once a smuggler's ship for use in the Cold Trade.
Clues:
>Auspexes get funny readings inside, as old scramblers still in place.
>A party member could fall through a hatch that's rusted away.

I'd love to see what we could come up with.
Maybe something w/ sandwurms too? They're a thing.

Fair enough. That sounds like a decent premise, as long as your players are aware of what it is in a meta sense. An event to bring them together.

For those of you that ran the False Prophets module in the main Black Crusade book, how did you use the Torestus afterwards?

So /40krpg/ I've got a question. I'm going to be running an Only War and for the purposes of requisitions I'm trying to figure out what 'rank' a priest would hold in the Imperial Guard, if they even hold a rank at all. Are they low ranking NCO's or only around the rank of guardsmen?

I only ask because I'm making requisitions work like this for my next game of Only War because I found flaws in running it blankly in the previous game. Namely green recruits requesting power swords and getting them on the first roll.

Green Recruit: COMMON
Enlisted: AVERAGE
Low Rank NCO: SCARCE
Squad Rank NCO: RARE
Senior Squad Rank NCO: VERY RARE
Platoon Officer: EXTREMELY RARE
Company Command Officer: NEAR UNIQUE
Senior Officer or Commissariat NEAR UNIQUE
Regimental Officer: UNIQUE

Say I threw 4 guardsmen players up against a Genestealer in tight confines. How much of a challenge would it be?

Depends which stats you're planning on using for them. Genestealers have been statted almost a dozen times in slightly different ways across the various systems, so that fight could be anywhere from a nice challenge, to near-certain tpk.

I want a single one to be almost unkillable to bring it in as a major campaign villain (a la the Alien series). Just having a couple and some disguised cultists aboard a ship are what the party will have to deal with

Page 98 of enemies without.

In that case I'm going to have to agree with this user and say go with the DH2 one. Bizarrely for coming from one of the lower powered lines it's got the highest toughness, and therefore durability, out of all of them, and doesn't skimp on damage either, though it is less agile than other variants though so wont be dodging as much, or charging from as far.
Others you might want to consider as they're only just short in survivability, both from Deathwatch, are the Lansholm strain stealer from Final Sanction as it packs the meanest punch with 2d10+12 per hit, but lacks in the range of talents and traits most come with. Or there's the Auran strain from Emperor Protects, for having the highest agility and dodge whilst making up for its lower damage with Tearing.