/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-may-2017-plus-new-nook-store/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/goodbye-my-friend-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
Have you ever included a character/organisation from a another franchise in your game? I was thinking the Fraternity from Wanted (the movie version, the comics are a bit too far out) could be a fun antagonist conspiracy.
>5th editons cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/349384-think-of-fictional-characters-and-say-what-they-would-be-in-cofd?p=1050840#post1050840
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How would you stat your favorite version of the Doctor from Doctor Who in WoD or CoD?

I would stat up less shit taste for myself.

>You wanna read something depressing, compare the CofD core book to any of the oWoD core books. Hell compare it to the first edition nWoD core. Shit has 0 soul to it.
>I'd take that 90s edge to that anyday.

Oh, I like the COFD books - they are a different beast. well the NWoD books honestly. First edition. COFD are in the case of vampire, mage and werewolf, systematically much better, but as far as layout/arrangement/editing/organization a fucking mess..

Anyway, back to my original thought - OWoD was the 90's, in a super hero comic book sort of way, and it was fucking awesome at that. I love it for that. It paid lipservice to being a game about horror, telling stories of personal horror and exploring the horror genre in rpg form, but no, it was a superhero comic with horror dressing.

NWoD was White Wolf finally, finally putting their money where their mouth was, and addressing the elephant in the room. Taking the horror seriously. If really understand that, and do so, then it makes for some absolutely fantastic gaming, and to be honest, I found the dryer writing style tended to fit. Well, except the Macolm Sheppard stuff and some of the other garbage authors who they just keep feeding work to out of sympathy. All in all I have had and continue to have as much fun in NWoD/CoFD that I do in OWoD, because they're both fucking great RPGs.

Why are Dresden Files art routinely being used as CofD art? It has it's own RPG and it's a lot more gonzo than the average world of darkness game

>Why are Dresden Files art routinely being used as CofD art?

Everyone knows that Harry is really an Obrimos Adamantine Arrow.

Besides, if we use actual art from CofD books, we end up with crap like Unicycle Obrimos or Adamantine Arrow "Kill The Batman."

What the fuck? How do you stat up a character who is basically powerless until the end of the episode/miniseries at which point through deus ex machina, he survives and moves on to the next episode.

It's pointless, because he is a terrible RPG character, he is never really challenged, shit just happens throughout the episode, deus ex machina after deus ex machina moves the plot forward, dramatic speech at the end, usually where he sanctimoniously talks down to people who behave in a manner that disagrees with the writers' politics (who are usually written of course to behave in a ridiculously exaggerated, obnoxious way) and we move onward to yet another episode.

I meant in regards to how CofD core doesn't have those little quarks that give the earlier editions their character. There's no clever description to what the dots in a skill equal, there's no bit of fiction before each ability or skill.
Stuff that minor really shouldn't mean anything but I found the book lacking so much on account of that.

>Swole Jawa
>Kill The Batman

Because both cover supernatural horror and urban fantasy and no one plays the Dresden Files RPG and lots of people play the World of Darkness games.

I would play the Dresden Files RPG were it not on FATE.
FeelsBadMan.jpg

Amen

>Fate
Yup. I'm right there with you. People scream about FATE and such and I'm just like 'Fuck, really?'

I have him written as an Unchained Demon, with the Regenerations being his various Covers. I can share that if anyone is interested.

As for the whole Deus Ex Machina/Plot Armor issue, that is because of bad writing, not a bad concept. You can make the Doctor work, just make sure he is more of a mysterious side character who doesn't endlessly spout your opinions and that he can't fix everything. He should be more a gateway to the adventures instead of the sole focus of the adventures, you know what I'm saying?

>That feel when you were a fan of the reboot at the start and had to watch the series die and slow, depressing death.

Geist 2e in development, we're getting closer to the finish line!

What's wrong with Kill The Batman? That's a great pieace

>Have you ever included a character/organisation from a another franchise in your game?

I shamelessly ripped off the golden coins from 'John Wick' for my game.

Is the finish line the heat death of the universe?

just stop spamming it every single thread for fucks sake

Ah I see - yes, you are right - that is flavor that could have definitely been used, in the new game just as well as the old. Definitely an omission to the new game's detriment.

The guy you're replying to is right, though.

I understand that a lot of humour relies on repetition to be funny, and some of you seem to think that repeating the same tired memes about Mages is funny. Maybe it was, but that was months ago. It's played out now. The rest of us are moving on, but you're stuck harping on about something we no longer care about. Really, it's no different from that one guy who won't stop singing "this is a triumph" and sending you links that redirect to Rick Astley (and we all know one of those) - it shows a paucity of imagination.

Try harder to make us laugh, if you enjoy the humour. Repeating something to the point where it becomes some kind of zen buddhist mantra is a sign of either a very low IQ or a total lack of imagination.

no, that is the finish line for Wraith

>There's no clever description to what the dots in a skill equal

This is not true. Such descriptions start on page 31.

I don't. I have never actually posted it.

Dr. Who really functionally is a Deus ex Machina. You don't stat him. It's pointless. Even the rules about his lives/regeneration get broken.

The ones who get stats are his companions, they are the characters of note in play, they are the PCs of the game so to speak, the Doctor is just a Storyteller's pet NPC with plot invulnerability who is there to get all the glory in the end, while the fumbling misadventures of the PCs chew through the game session itself.

Oh, you.

I think I'd cannabilise that "Genius: the Transgression" game for ideas on jury-rigging alien tech. The "man from Gallifrey" part is problematic given the rules surrounding the Deep Umbra, but not impossible. The true challenge is remixing the Doctor enough that it's still basically the Doctor, without someone going "oh shit, it's David Tennant".

>What's wrong with Kill The Batman? That's a great piece

You cannot be serious.

The Mysterium and Seer art was good, the rest was garbage.

Eccleston was awesome. His ugly chav companion was just gross to look at and worse to watch act. Then he left, and Tennant came in to give all the rail thin, efete fedorafags with hamplanet girlsfriends a character to cosplay as and god, I'd take the worst of the series pre-reboot desu. Now, they have a gross looking dyke nog as a companion, because the BBC is just the worst, and apparently it's just beyond unwatchable, with a female Master and god knows what other SJW trash.

Making him statless is totally viable, and probably will work better for certain stories. I just prefer to have stats precisely to have an idea of what he can and can't do.

In Genius terms, I think the Doctor would be an Inspired Mane.

I'm just gonna post the stats I made for my Unchained!Doctor and see what others think.

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/349384-think-of-fictional-characters-and-say-what-they-would-be-in-cofd?p=1050840#post1050840

Eccleston and Tennant (Barring the last 2 seasons, Donna was annoying as fuck and the writing starting going to shit around that time) were both good. Smith was annoying, only suffered through the first season with him because Karen Gillan was top tier waifu material. Dropped the series completely after that.
Fuck that new writer for ruining the Weeping Angels too, turning them from something interesting into generic 2spooky4me shit.

I don't know how, but White Wolf managed to take a great artist like Kaluta and get him to just utterly phone in an entire book of absolutely shit quality, utterly unfinished, sloppy, shit work.

I mean it's really an achievement unto itself how fucking awful the art in Mage the Awakening was. Unicycle Obrimos, Gay Matador Adamantine Arrow, Puertorican Dreadlock Afro Bike Guy Free Council, Pant Suit Jane the Guardian, L.L. Bean Lesbian Ornithologist Hiking Enthusiast Mysterium Chick, Silly Walking Hobopantsed Vietnamese Frogfaced Ipod Man Pho Pho Phun of the Silver Ladder, Moros Nightclub Sleeze Chinstrap Cowboy, Uncomfortable Shoe Subtle One, Mike Tyson Tattoo Afficionado Tremere... So many to choose from!

I mean the art in 2.0 is terrible, but it's terrible in an amateurish way, and it's what I expect from amateur artists, which is what I assumed they used, probably recruited off of Deviant art and reddit or the like, but Jesus, that 1.0 art was from an actual professional.

Is he falling into Alzheimer's/Dementia or something? Why was it so bad?

Hello again, best piece of Mage artwork to ever exist.

Which supplements for mage, werewolf and vampire are 2.0 native?

I doubt anything anyone has to say will deter the magefags from defecating all over these threads.

I've already given up.

No, the ultimate death of the netherworld. When death dies, so shall rise Geist 2.0.

>I mean the art in 2.0 is terrible

Not all the art in Awakening 2e is bad at all, some is quite good, but it is certainly inconsistent. At least many of the goofy pieces like Swole Jawa and Free Council Pride Parade are genuinely fun.

I'm also glad Awakening avoided, at least for now, the increasing OPP trent to use fauxtography art, something I personally find uninspiring and lazy.

My DM recently ran a one shot based on some shitty horror movie about soldiers fighting ghosts in Iraniraqistan. The things hated iron and were invisible unless you wore some science-goggles that could detect "energy that no-one had comprehended before!" It wasn't that fun to play and no one was satisfied in the end.

>No, the ultimate death of the netherworld. When death dies, so shall rise Geist 2.0.

Someone should detonate spirit nukes in the underworld. What could go wrong...?

>Iraniraqistan

I bet you couldn't even find that on a map.

>It's definitely somewhere near Qurac, Bialya and Khandaq.

I heard they used 'larpers' as the models for those pieces.

The premise isn't that terrible. How'd he fuck it up?

Sometimes I have to wonder what DaveB thinks of all this.

>I heard they used 'larpers' as the models for those pieces.

SwedeDracula obviously approves.

>WW is doomed

"These idiots are beyond help."

>Sometimes I have to wonder what DaveB thinks of all this.

Dave basically acknowledges "mage supremacy" as part of design intent because Mage's high power level is necessary to maintain its themes and he doesn't care about "game balance." He otherwise finds these discussions, and anything close to "white room" arguments, unoriginal and tiresome,

In any event, it's difficult to ascertain Dave's feelings recently as his involvement with all the forums has become increasingly rare.

I don't blame him for it going badly. In the end we just didn't do anything too interesting. We investigated a place where some troops were attacked, got chased by an army of ghosts into an iron factory, were slowly besieged, and got airlifted out by chopper. We were also bothered by several car bombs, which were annoying and only served to let the ghosts keep up with us.

Supposedly he's in a rough patch in his personal life.

Hopefully, things are looking brighter for our favorite exarch.

DaveB is actually smart and doesn't give a shit over what transpires here. Really, this is Veeky Forums.

DaveB used to be a fairly active participant here and on the OPP forums. While definitely sarcastic, he sometimes joined in the absurd fun of some of the mage and other discussions along with routinely answering more mundane questions.

I don't know what's going on in his life, but I imagine it's bad. Not only did he mostly stop posting, but his occasional comments tend to angry, bitter or the nasty kind of sarcastic.

I hope whatever ails Dave is resolved, but whatever is going on probably doesn't bode well for his development and maintenance of the Mage line.

Relevant

I miss the old Dave.

Ah yes, the "woe is Dave" poster.

>this is Veeky Forums

We can afford to be dumbasses here. Not on the OPP forums.

>I hope whatever ails Dave is resolved, but whatever is going on probably doesn't bode well for his development and maintenance of the Mage line.

I believe Dave just turned in the outline for Deviant to WW for approval. He's definitely still working, and hopefully he'll now be able to focus on Mage again.

Let's see if there are any Mage announcements at GenCon.

we're all fags in the chronicles of fagness

>we're all fags in the chronicles of fagness

Some fags are clearly more *fabulous* than others.

Dave stated that he still posts here, but he just rarely uses his tripcode any more.

Heck. he's probably the user who was defending the Kill The Batman art.

I bet you're Dave

>Ah yes, the "woe is Dave" poster.

Cold and nasty Anons like you are the reason many developers and authors avoid the forums like the plague.

>Heck. he's probably the user who was defending the Kill The Batman art.
No that was me. I wish I was dave. I'm not. I am just someone with amazing taste.

>I bet you're Dave

Alas, no.

I imagine the RealDaveB is sound asleep in jolly ol' England.

>No that was me. I wish I was dave. I'm not. I am just someone with amazing taste.

Swole user ?

Wasn't being cold or nasty, merely acknowledging your presence.

Nothing an abyssal ulcer torn into the underworld couldn't fix, I'm sure.

I'll concede that, but it's just overall weaker than older versions and seems so mismatched. I think I prefer the black and white style of the OWoD 1E and 2E art (though the some of the use of color, not in the art, but in the page decoration, was nice in the NWoD 2E book - the 1E just made it hard to read sometimes even if the gold in theary looked kinda neat)

Which is entirely believable and awful.

Larpers are awful.

Just awful.

I've heard in Europe it's different, but in the States it's just the absolute last people you want representing the hobby taking it out in the public, and... the fucking costumes... are... fedoratrocious.

>1E just made it hard to read sometimes even if the gold in theary looked kinda neat)

The 1e layout and colors were an abomination. I, and apparently almost everyone else, nearly went blind reading the book.

I have no idea how no one said WTF when they saw the original proofs for Mage 1e.

I get the impression that Euro-LARPers are just like American LARPers, just a little more serious and a lot more pretentious.

Exhibit A - SwedeDracula

Dave has mentioned before that he sincerely cares about internal balance within the respective gameline, just not whether it matches up to the others.

If some of the Arcana supersede the rest, then that's an issue to look into. Something that actually hampers gameplay.
If a wizard can hurl a vampire or werewolf down into the pits of their demise with relative ease? Not a problem.

It definitely was a fucking disaster. And yet I remember being flamed to high hell for pointing out that the art was shit, the layout was shit, the gold gloss was shit, and that it was a headache inducing mess by the Mage community, at least those that weren't pissing blood about "WAAAAHTLANTIS!!!" or lost in their solipsism still crying about Revised.

>If a wizard can hurl a vampire or werewolf down into the pits of their demise with relative ease? Not a problem.

Problem? Heck, no.

>Feature, not a bug

Yeah, the White Wolf forums were filled with a mix of the worst sycophants and worst malcontents, who somehow found a balance between themselves, each doing their own thing, while attacking in unison anyone who offered something that wasn't rabidly ass kissing or hateful in nature. A reasonable, thought out post, guaranteed flamebait.

>White Wolf forums

At least in the WW forums you're actually allowed to strongly criticize the material and challenge the prevailing social attitudes and politics in the books. Try that in the mess of an online support group for the pathological, socially irredeemable and purportedly oppressed known as rpg.net.

>the White Wolf forums were filled with a mix of the worst sycophants and worst malcontents

The splatwank was also horrendous, even when compared to these threads.

Serious mage question. How does spell scale work?

Say I'm targeting a car Size 10. Would I have to change to advanced scale?

What about if I'm targeting three people and a car in proximity to each other. Would the scale need to be the number of targets or the largest sized target?

What if I'm using an area of effect spell. Do I need to adjust spell factors to fit the largest size object or number of targets?

Oh no argument there, fuck that place. RPG.net takes the politics of reddit's front page and turns them into moderation policy for RPG discussion.

Apparently even Tumblr and Reddit consider RPG.net to be batshit insane for the most part.
That should speak volumes about that place.

Well in the past masquerade fags were the worst offenders. Once other games became mainstream and the player base aged that cooled down. Masquerade fags are now pretty chill tbqh.

Magefags at least here are the new cancer. The constant powerwanking is one thing, the constant need to inject magefaggotry in every other discussion is the real Problem.

>Muh you don't have mages in your chronic guess you are scared gayracula :>

>What would the prince of the city do in situation x? HEHEHHEE a mage would come and kill these leeches? Btw it would be so easy for my OP mage to craft a spell that forces all the suckers to go in the sun.

Mage is cool and interesting. Magegaggotry is horrible and destroys these general though.

So what did I rip off eh?

>Cop from "cult classic" tv series from communist era is a seer of the throne

>Christopher Walken as presented in Weapon of Choice is my local hierarch

>Prince is Bill Nighty...from Love Actually

>one of NPC vamps is Lorenzo Lamas from Renegade

Dude asking about non humans having an oneiros, they dont.

vampires, woofs, changlings, beasts, prommies, dont have one.

You need the scale to for both number of targets and largest size. So 2 people and 1 huge truck, is min 3 targets size 40-50 or whatever a truck is.

As for area effect, it doesnt matter, anything in that area gets hit no matter the size, thats the whole point of area effect. ANYTHING even friends (without fated) will get hit.

So you either choose your targets and get x amount or choose an area with the possibility of hitting a shit ton but friends too.

You're either:
1. Casting a non-area spell, in which case you must reach the target's size (or part of the target, such as hitting a car's axel). For sizes much larger than 7, you'll certainly want advanced scale, or option 2.

2. Casting an area spell, whereby the subject must be entirely within the area of the spell to be affected. This is sometimes the best option in the cases of cars and the like. Why bother casting a spell on the car, when you endvelop it in a fireball?

no mention of needing to entirely in the area, text just says

>, applying the spell effect to anyone or >anything within

As a followup question. When using an Area of Effect spell at 'touch' range how stringent are you with rolls to hit?

As in I cast a knowing spell with an area the size of the room I'm in. I'm literally touching the room by virtue of bing in it. Do I really need to roll to see if I 'hit' the room?

Really?

your in the area of effect of the spell you dont need to roll to hit anything. Without using sensory range you will be at the center of the area of effect. With sensory range you can put the center point anywhere within your sensory range

The only time you need to roll to hit with a spell is if you try to "throw" a touch range spell at something.

Could you make like 'wizard grenades' by throwing area of effect explosion spells?

What if you shape an area of effect into like a cone in front of you a la cone of cold?

yes

you'd be rolling gnosis+athletics/firearms-defense to

Cones are fine too

Note that you can have a spell with an area the size of a house but touch range, walk up and touch it to cast the spell over the entire house.

There's nothing really new about magefaggotry being this bad.

It's just not usually this prolonged, which is, to be sure, particularly severe these days in these threads in particular.

Magefags only have as much power as you give them.

Its annoying. I had several good discussions destroyed by greasy magefags. The general is MUCH better when its slow.

Well nothing really new thats true. I don't even mind the powerwanking that much. They can do their little group wank.

The shitposting about x-overs, injecting themselves in other discussions. Thats the toxic shit. Constantly crying about vampfags that think they are superior-despite the fact that never happens in the general.

There is this one dude who constantly larps as a mage or techno in the general. You can feel that he is on the spectrum and that he is that guy in his LGS.

And the one thread were magefags were well behaved was overrun by weebufags.

Heh, yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

Are you me? Because I could've easily made this exact post, like, twelve hours ago.

So we had talk about bad art and shit. What book has the best art or at least what is everyones favourite?

I like most of the stuff that Michel Koch did. Pic related from Wicked Dead book cover

I think there is a sizeable Minority of people that feel this way.

Someone you pointed out how autistic larping in a general is. Only then i realized how often i had shit replies like:

>Filthy leech the NWO would like to have a word with you

And it was clear that mages don't play a role in my chronic.

I often thought about opening a seperate vampire general but:

a) Werefags, Mummyfags etc. would be very welcome too.
b)Opening a thread only banning mage stuff is like painting a target on your back.
c)40k fags with their 10 million threads flooding the thread whining that we already have a general.
d) Might be too slow going. It makes sense that all WoD and CofD fags bundle their discussions because we are very niche here on Veeky Forums. Thats hard with the mages fucking everything up.

I mean i even think CofD mage seems interesting (not as interesting as Changeling though) and i would love to read good discussions about it.

I really miss my 2 week yearly 40k flashback were it seems interesting. If you like 40k Veeky Forums is a paradise

* Someone (you?) pointed out....

I love that so many people here like Changeling. I always felt like some kind of fucking deviant because I was almost the only one in my entire state who would petition to play it in the Camarilla Society days.