discord.me/5eg

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=98HTgS85T0k#t=1m02
youtube.com/watch?v=qFhs5LCNTFY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What was the luckiest moment you ever had while playing 5e?

My entire party are all Tabaxi right now and it was all by luck.

So we're effectively the Thunder Cats at this point.

>he puts advanced technology in the game but doesn't make it indistinguishable from magic
My players had been fucking around with golems and metallic runes for months and not one of them realized it was pre-apocalypse technology from a civilization that wiped themselves out with nanobots and they're really on Earth until AFTER a particle accelerator AI from the "spooky wizard's tower that sank into the ground" downloaded itself into a gynoid to join the party and marry the Paladin.

Alright, Veeky Forums, my players just nearly got a TPK while facing the Orcs in Lost Mines of Phandelver. They got captured and we won't be able to play in 2 weeks. Droop, Sildar and a small contingent of local volunteers are coming to rescue them. What kind of consequences should I dish out on them without entirely ruining the experience? So far:

>a week passes by during their capture
>Harbin Wester has been wrongly accused of abusing power and has been executed, including Iarno Albrek to silence his allegiance to the Black Spider and Halia
>Halia Thornton successfully rises to power as the new Townmaster, forcing a PC's father(a descendent of Lord Tresendar) to act as a puppet leader
>Redbrand Ruffians who escaped capture now for Halia as her bodyguards, sending Zhentarim reinforcements to replace the current Town Guard
>Daran Edermath's orchard burns down due to an "accident"
>Sister Garele's Shrine of Tymora gets torn down due to "offending the public eye"
>Barthen's Provisions and Smithy closes down due to "Redbrand collusion"
>weapons are no longer sold, only pickaxes, hatchets and knives at Lionshield Coster
>Phandalin turns from mining community into a Zhentarim haven within a span of a week

If I have a CHA mod of -1 I can't use Divine Sense, right?

Without reading Divine Sense at all, I'm going to assume you are confused by it possibly saying "minimum 1".

That means that you can use it and it lasts like you've got a +1 Cha mod even if your Cha is lower, not that you must have at least +1 Cha to use it.

>You can use this feature a number of times equal to 1 + your Charisma modifier. When you finish a long rest, you regain all expended uses

Wrong

As far as I can tell, no you can't.

How do I play an Otter Healer?

Perfect, that work well with the PC backstory

>Platypus not a Rogue

>Paladin with negative charisma

What the hell are you doing???

Well there's a Gecko Thief at least.

Name one charismatic Paladin.
Pro tip: you can't, because they're all insufferable douchenozzles. Especially the modern "reeee i'm a crusader, i murder people for muh greater good, my entire class revolves around shooting holy fire lasers out of my sword, what the fuck is a shield" Paladin.

5e healer
What you want: nancy in robes
What you get: dwarf in chainmail

A redemption character, he is only a Paladin to complete his revenge, through the campaigns he will find his faith

Paladins don't need faith, they need conviction. Like looking for revenge.

What if I play a Life Theurge or Favored Soul?

This is the only healer I'm interested in.
youtube.com/watch?v=98HTgS85T0k#t=1m02

youtube.com/watch?v=qFhs5LCNTFY

Well, my Paladin need faith, s-shut up

Are Tranquility Monks any good? It seems like their level 3 is basically +10HP per level.

I dunno if they're good, but I'm in love with the concept. I really hope it ends up in the PHB2 coming out later this year, it'll be the first character I play soon as I get the opportunity.

>PHB2
What? Last thing I heard confirmed was XGE

I'm trying to fuck over my friend doing a one shot.
What's the most overpowered build I can make at level 5?
All UA and broken combos are game.

So far I'm thinking Swashbuckler3/D.Sorcerer2 for booming blade + quicken bonfire.

Yes, that would be the one.

Make a contract for a wish with a Dao
Yay or Nay?

Go for it
At least it's not a Fiend

Dao are pretty sensible.
Only Djinn and Efreet would fuck you, and only the latter on purpose.

Uh oh.

My party made a deal with an efreet some time ago. How fucked are we?

Is letting Sun Soul bonus action attack with their sun bolts gonna disrupt the game?

Hope you enjoy being enslaved in the fire mines beneath the City of Brass.

It's not like Monk is going to break anything ever.

He's gonna have to find us first! He already went back to the plane of fire and we're still in the material world!

Well, they're good at cheesing legendary resistances away, gotta give them credit

Once you get to around 14+ Monks are pretty OP, just because they become near unkillable and can decimate Legendary Resistance.

>archmage casts timestop
>does a bunch of shit with simulacrums unseen and prepares to roast the party
>zip 70 feet through two decks of a boat and find him chilling in his bedroom
>punch him into a corner and Stunning Strike him every turn
>completely dismantle this poor old cripplewizard and break every bone in his body while he is unable to do anything for three turns straight
>zero damage taken
Granted, this was SKT so it's the first and last time that Stun was ever going to land on anything, but it was fun.

3 crit death saves preventing the party from TPKing

So my DM gave us the full 22 card Deck of Many Things last session. Our party got really drunk and started passing it around, pulling cards and we got about 12 deep until we finally pulled Donjon. Everything went better than expected. Now we have a 10 card deck of some of the best effects left in the deck (Fates, Jester) sans Moon, and some of the worst (Flames, Skull, Void). Our Paladin took it and hid it from us though.

i also thought it was curious that they weren't allowed to. Considering that the only other way to get a bonus action ranged attack is crossbow expert, i would consider allowing it as long as they take a somewhat relevant feat. The only way i can imagine abusing it is if the monk also grabs hex/hunters mark, which would give them an extra 1d6 ranged damage (which isn't much).

What do you guys think of letting a character switch weapons mid round? i'd like to play a kensai monk (street fighter in plot) who alternates between a dagger and longsword, but doesn't wield them simultaneously. something like versatile sword att > bonus act fist att OR flurry > dagger stab
would you make them get dual wielder? what if they don't take advantage of defensive duelist?
i'm not sure you can make a bonus action mid-attack, but if you can move between attacks then i don't see why not.

isn't there a armorless cleric variant in the DMG?

I forgot my question:

What do we do with it now?

I've played through Lost Mines of Phandelver before, but I'm the sort who will very much avoid metagaming and my DM knows so me and some new players are going through it.

I'm a Wizard and we're at Wyvern Tor with the 8 Orcs and the Ogre.

The game ended with the Orcs sitting in their cave throwing javelins at anyone who gets too close. We decided our plan will be for me to Disguise Self as one of the Orc Scouts and convince them to leave the cave.

I have 12 CHA and 20HP.

How likely am I to die and should I make a new character just in case I need it?

? I'm not aware of this.

Yeah they lose most weapon proficiency and armour, in exchange for Monk Unarmoured Defence.

i read "armless"

What's the worst thing in 4e/3.5e that was fixed in 5e?

Dependence on magic items for number progression. Above all else, I feel that that's the biggest and best change thematically from those two systems, without needing innate bonuses as a band-aid for it.

Why am I such a shit roller, and why does everything in DnD have to be related to how good of a roller you are? I haven't been able to do anything in the campaign I'm currently in because of my inability to roll higher than a 2.

>my inability to roll higher than a 2.
Get new dice.

Like giving them a bonus action attack they would have with martial arts? Nah, that would be fine, though it's easy to see why they don't have that by default (tradeoff of range for damage).

My DM reserves dice rolling for chance, while "being good" means playing smart or strategically (which is not to say that it's not possible to play like a dumb fighter or anything).

Yeah, but on the flip-side, magic items are now a bit too rare. In 3.5 at least, you had all these cool flavour magic items, but they never got used because they'd compete for slots with your belt of giant's strength or your cloak of resistance.

Now there's just a good chance you'll never get much that's good or useful unless your DM is liberal with magic items.

Play a vhuman champion fighter with lucky and GWF. Don't be subject to RNG's trickery ever again

We're playing on roll20 because we all live far away now.

This sounds more appropriate. For me it's just frustrating right now since I'm playing a bard and I want to perform and play music for fun and whatever, but every time I do he makes me do a performance check. Even with my bonus I haven't gotten above 10 yet.

Magic items are now only rare if DMs make them that way, just like you said. At least now characters aren't fucked if the DM isn't running things Monty Hall style. It's a change for a better all around. The only real thing I would change in regards to magic items is having some sort of system for how much you should adjust encounter difficulty based on the magic item bonuses they have.

Or a lucky halfling swashbuckler rogue, then you can also do your thing while relying on RNG even less

How about Michael Carpenter from Dresden Files?

So when is the mega trove ever going to be updated?

Question about 5e's Mind Blank spell for you all.

Back in 3rd or in PF, mind blank is a must-have because it's such a blanket immunity. Is it still worth having that much in 5e?

It still seems to be divination-proofing, but I'm not sure how much stuff does psychic damage offhand, and on top of that you only get a single 8th level spell slot, so even though Mind Blank is up for 24h with no concentration, there could well be better options available (Dominate Monster, Feeblemind, Clone, etc.) to spend that slot on.

good for divination and mindrape proofing and little else
if you need to not be found then use it

never ever

What kind of update is needed?

It's missing Season 5 and 6 modules.

need beholder lairs

>"Wait, why are we mining fire when the city is litterally surounded with pure elemental fire?"
>"Quite slave"*wip crack*

Is it actually stated anywhere whether or not dropping something from your hand is considered an object interaction?
Every DM I've ever played with made it free, because doing X action while dropping something out of your hand takes the exact same amount of time as just doing X action on it's own

You don't really need to take extra time to drop something, you just drop it as you're doing whatever the other thing is you're trying to do

You are a massive faggot.

Dropping an item is a free action.
Picking one up is an object interaction.

That's what I thought, thanks.

If I use my action to make a melee attack, can I use my bonus action to make an offhand attack AFTER I move?i.e.
>attack a target as a swashbuckler, move 15ft, attack different target

Yes.

I think so

>Have PAM
>Use a quarterstaff, works fine
>tie a sharp rock to the end, its a spear
>Can no longer use PAM

>Have PAM
>Use a halberd, works fine
>Remove the side blades, its a spear
>Can no longer use PAM

justify this

The balance of the weapon change

thats called refluffing a weapon, you can do that as long as you dont search for a mechanical benefit

Spear is a thrusting motion, makes it hard to do a butt attack. It would be too complex for some parts to apply and not others.

>dming my homebrew setting for two groups
>objective is to kill a vampire mayor of a trading hub city.
>it's know that he will take part in a night parade and expose himself
>one group goes full operator with backup plans, like blowing up the dam/bag of holding bomb/force wall and fire trap/crashing some building on him
>other group just goes "ugh, maybe we could attack him during that?"

>Remove the side blades, its a spear
It's a pike.

That's adorable.

Things like that are usually minimum 1.

Here's a thought
>remove side blades. Add meat and veggies
>is kebab
>remove kebab

>Player has had one character death in a year of playing
>Tells me if they have one more they're quitting the game

You do know you have to load the damn things, right? Making an attack isn't just pulling the trigger. It's all the stuff involved in firing the crossbow.

Just throw a javelin. You do have javelins, right?

If the crossbow is already loaded there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to attempt to fire it one handed, inefficient though it may be.

>first time dming
>kill the rogue
>feel bad

I think it was his fault though. The natural 1 on his death saving throw didn't help.

Sure, disadv on the roll.

Exactly

>rogue: "I want to refluff my dagger into a halberd"

An argument could be made that the crossbow has to be wound, and that's what part of having it in two hands requires. You probably aren't running around with a loaded crossbow strapped to your back or wherever have you.

Light crossbows are a loading weapon so you can only fire them once a turn regardless. It has a 80/320 range and a 1d8 dice. Hand crossbows are 30/120 and 1d6 hit dice, and are also loading. If it's not being treated as a pure 'rule of cool' event, it would likely become mathematically superior to start just carrying around some loaded light crossbows and take a disadvantage hit on them versus actually using the weapons meant for the task.

I understand the argument, but it does kind of end up feeling vaguely like a 'have your cake and eat it too' argument. You have the benefit of your shield (bonus AC) and its downsides (cant remove quick), but aren't using the tools that compliment your shield use, and instead want to use a two handed weapon that is naturally precluded by using your shield.

Disadvantage isn't that hard to get around. I've been playing an [axe] and shield barbarian lately, and I would be quite happy to use two handed weapons at disadvantage alongside my shield.

Think it's missing DDAL05-13 through DDAL05-18 and the TYP modules that came out recently. Also, the epic adventures. They seem to be releasing a bunch of them for this season.

If anyone could find and or give them to the megaanon, that'd be pretty neato.

I've just got A Thousand Tiny Deaths

That's true. I forget sometimes that the math is just as important as the "you can do ANYTHING"

I don't know. what are the circumstances of it already being loaded? If it's constantly loaded outside of combat and I were your DM, I would be rolling secret percentiles every time you moved to see if it accidentally went off with negative consequences.

Who the fuck carried around a loaded crossbow? Seriously that's a huge fucking risk. You'd probably walk 100 meters with a loaded crossbow on your back before being shot in the ass.

How do I play a Lawful Good Monk who can try to steer the party towards more good actions without being a pacifist dick? Any other advice for playing friendly Lawful Good characters is appreciated.

I'm probably Sun Soul or Tranquility if anyone has ideas for my Monk Order.

Meganon is dead. The one in the OP is just a mirror someone made and hasn't updated at all.

Today I killed a player's character for the second time in three sessions. Never maliciously, always just how the dice fall.

Them's the breaks. At least he's a good sport about it.