Genesys

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/27/genesys/

So, FFG is rolling out a GURPS-styled generic RPG book to fit their narrative dice system into a GM's choice of setting.

Thoughts? Personally i love the Star Wars RPG and the dice system and mechanics within, so this piques my interest.

GURPS but a good game? This sounds pretty awesome.

Yeah I'm going to keep an eye on this one.

At this point, I don't think I'll bother with any generic system. Especially one that needs special dice.

But FFG does make some nice looking books. If they release an interesting setting book (like Android), then *maybe*.

Boring cover.

FFG's writing, balancing and editing is crapshoot, their customer service is questionable, their pricing asinine, their proprietary everything scheme is anti-consumer and they are actively working against discounts. They are basically Allround GW but with worse customer service.
So, in short, miss me with that gay shit, senpai.

This.

An Android Netrunner book would sell me on this whole concept.

I was very pleased with Edge of the Empire's mechanics when I tried playing it, so this is definitely something I'll look into.

Their Star Wars game is pretty excellent, so I will definitely keep an eye out for this game.

I was actually thinking about making some sort of hack to use their dice in other settings, but hey, now I don't have to

Hah! Ditto. Was thinking about doing a hackjob just the other day, and then they come out with this. Neat.

Now i can rev up a Lovecraftian game. No offense to any lurking grognards, but Call of Cthulhu is pretty dated.

Dark Heresy was overall pretty good.

The dice system is great so I'm pretty hyped for this but Genesys is a fucking terrible name.

You don't like Phil Collins?

Terrible fucking name but otherwise I'm pretty excited.

I've always thought that the Ability Score = # of Dice Rolled mechanic of WFRP 3e and their Star Wars' games makes them feel similar to WEG's d6 system- and that system, in my opinion, is one of the best PnP rpgs ever made in terms of balancing simplicity of play, and depth and customization.

Plus, it's always nice to a have another setting-generic system. If I don't at least have the option to fight robot-wizard-Hitler onboard a space station while wearing full platemail and riding a T-Rex then what's the point of an imagination-based game in the first place?

>customer service is questionable
Kneegrow you what. When i had a few miscast figures, they sent me new ones immediately.

Haha be real though.

You can not like them that's cool but acting like GW is better is deranged.

Damnit. Sold.

Kind of wish they had changed up the dice just a bit, though. The colors made sense for a Star Wars game because it's pretty thematic to how the colors are represented in the universe (blue, green, yellow being "good" lightsaber colors; black, red, purple being associated with the dark side; etc). For a generic fantasy setting, though, it seems to stand out a little too much. I feel like the colors should be more muted shades, like grays and browns. And frankly I think the despair symbol is pretty underwhelming.

Though I guess they're throwing a bone to everyone who loaded up on Star Wars dice, since there won't be much need to replace the sets you already have.

On the FFG forums they brought up that 'Genesys' might stand for 'Generic System' which makes me hate it exactly 1% less

Eh, red and black being associated with negative or agressive things and the more calming natural colors like blue and green being associated with positive things us hardly unique to Star Wars. WFRP 3rd Edition used similar colors and I believe that came out before EotE.

Although I might have made the fortune die white to contrast better with the black misfortune die.

>On the FFG forums they brought up that 'Genesys' might stand for 'Generic System'

Proprietary software and hardware are unfree.

It is why you shouldn't use Windows.

They were similar colours for Warhammer 3e, I think the point is making them distinct shapes and colours for ease of recognition more than thematic purposes.

The more sides the more impact it can have following a clear progression, after that "roll 3 green, 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 purple and 2 black" is easy to communicate and understand.

I always liked FFG's "crazy dice" myself. It can provide for more interesting results I found without having to resort to serious tables or something.

>Although I might have made the fortune die white to contrast better with the black misfortune die.
Yeah, agree with this. But this day an age they might get the "why is white good and black bad, reeee!" crowd.

Fantastic news, exactly what I've been waiting to hear!

I love the SW system and the Warhammer games, but these posts are like bad parodies of shilling.

Going to be interesting to see what they change between the systems

Not expecting much, really. They'll probably clarify a few things like defense stacking, but i doubt they'll change the core formula.

Isn't FFG SW class and talent-trees based main reason why I haven't touched it yet outside of being preocuppied with other game?
How the fuck are they going to adapt it to setting-agnostic system?

I imagine they'll have to drop classes and talents for a generic system. At the very least they would need to let you build your own classes.

>literally judging a book by its cover
Classically retarded

I give props to FFG's marketing department for making people believe that their gimmick dice make the game more 'narrative'. They don't. They're numeric dice just like every other system; they just have symbols instead of pips.

What makes the game narrative is the text which encourages players and GM to be creatives with the outcomes of dice rolls. Good GM's have doing that with "hurr durr ebil binary pass/fail" systems since the 70's.

Technically you're not wrong. But in practice, i do say that it's far easier to interpret and imagine the outcomes with their dice system. Especially when your roll fails, but something positive might come out of it anyway (Or other way around). Symbols make it a far more intuitive experience. And thus.. more narrative friendly.

Something a lot of people don't consider is that making the secondary metric an overt currency--that is, something on the table to be "spent"--means the player gets a hand in it as well. Rather than the DM fiat-arbitrating that secondary metric, the player and DM collaborate on it.

Entirely possible with single-metric dice but much easier on double-metric ones.

>FFG
No thanks.

Only a quarter of the secondary metric results are spent by players: their own Advantages. Player Threats, NPC Threats, and NPC Advantages are all spent by the GM.

I don't like their dice, and the last warhammer fantasy RPG was bad so I'll skip this one.

As a GURPS player, I'm cautiously optimistic. I love generic games, and while GURPS does simulation fine right out the box and gamist with only a bit of tweaking, it's often more effort than it's worth to twist the system into serving a narrativist campaign.

Proprietary dice are still fucking stupid, though, and FFG has yet to do anything that diverges from a formal class structure, meaning this is uncharted waters for them.

I don't like their dice either; but to be fair, 3rd Edition WFRP had more wrong with it than just the dice. The stupid cards, the stupid talent socketing, the stupid party sheets. It was just a massive pile of fail.

What's the over-under that there will be ant form of OGL or allowance for publishing third party setting books?

something tells me FFG doesn't have the charity of Apocolypse World

If anything, and I mean anything, it's going to be 5e's ballgag I mean Dungeon Masters Guild.

Too many stipulations, proprietary hosting site, and they get to skim off the top. And too little reason to make a complete project or setting book.

Just kill me now.

Those classes are pretty vague and have a lot of wiggle room. They could easily present more vague classes based on normal archetypes or even drop them.

This.
Also, there's going to be a fuckton of sourcebooks released for this, expect extra careers in those.

I really like the 3e Warhammer, that aside though most of those stated issues, even the dice were all substantially streamlined for the Star Wars release. Just have to be willing to try something different.

>ability score = number of dice
If you like that then you'll love WoD

>But this day an age they might get the "why is white good and black bad, reeee!" crowd.

Well, they actually did white/black for those dice in WFRP. Then again, that was back in 2009 and that mau as well have been a century ago in terms of 'sensitivity' issues.

And the more I think about it, the more I actually agree with the user I initially replied- they really SHOULD have switched up the dice colors more. I would have made the 'Proficiency' die green to contrast better with the red 'Challenge' die and I would have probably made the 'Difficulty' die yellow to represent a level of danger that is notable but still less severe than that of the 'Challenge' die. I also wish they had called the 'Threat' and 'Despair' results something like 'Disadvantage' and Catastrophe' respectively to more cleanly match the names of the other results.

According to the product page

>Genesys allows you to create a character using four different archetypes that can be applied to many different settings. These archetypes provide the basis for your character, whether they are a skilled laborer or a haughty intellectual, an aristocrat or average human. These archetypes can be found as different jobs in a modern setting, or as a different species on an exotic alien world. Next, your character selects a career to give them a greater focus. This career can be generic, like an entertainer or trader, or be more setting specific, like a knight or mad scientist. From there, your character develops their special skills and talents before diving into the narrative dice system of Genesys.

Presumably the archtypes will include a combat-focused type, a magical/supernatural type and a skill monkey like in True20. As for the fourth? I could see them splitting the skill monkey into multiple archetypes like one focused on intellectual pursuits and one focused on more physical skills. Or they could do a social-focused archetype like the Leader archetype in SIFRP.

Smart, Strong, Rogue and Charming? Most characters can be cobbled together with some combo of those.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this game. The SW game has its merits, and judging by how well Edge of the Frontier worked it can do other systems. Maybe this'll get Roll20 to actually make the weird dice standard and not paywall it

I know neither the star wars rpg nor warhammer fantasy. Should I look forward to it or not?

Yes, very much!

Both are fun games, but "different" and not everyone enjoys "different".

Warhammer 3e was really crazy and many found it unpalatable, Star Wars was much more streamlined (as any reasonable second try at a game should be) in various ways which made it easier for people to handle.

Also I think there are more Star Wars than Warhammer Fantasy fans too.

>Maybe this'll get Roll20 to actually make the weird dice standard and not paywall it

It's certainly possible.

Keep in mind that unlike EotE/AoR/FaD which are published under the Star Wars brand and thus restricted in what they can put out digitally due to EA bullshit-ery, this new system should have no such restrictions. Which means we'll probably get official pdfs for this one.

This pleases me.

The "EA bullshit-ery" goes back to WotC's era. It's actually a Lucas-Licensing thing, where due to some weird legalese, PDFs count under video game licensing.

Having clear colors is important. When I got some normies into tabletop I had the communal dice be color coded by type until they got used to the nomenclature of "DX". Telling them to "roll three purples" for magic missile or "one yellow" for firebolt speeds up the learning curve immensely.

First, there's the capacity in FFG's systems to fail forward without DM fiat, and the capacity to succeed with a catch. That sort of four way where do you fall on this mathematical function graph result is absent in most popular systems.
Second, presentation is an aspect of design. If you tell someone "Roll dice for a number and see if you succeed or fail, and how hard" then that's what they'll do most often. Numbers make us think of objective reality, when actually TTRPGs are abstractions by nature. Tell someone that all their results are symbols that are abstractions, and they'll fill in the gaps themselves. It's basically the difference between realism and impressionism, do you want to fill the gaps in yourself or do you want someone else to work hard to make everything detailed.

Oh, I'm totally in favor of having color-coded dice for shapes. My only issue is that those particular ones seem a little too "loud" (for a lack of a better term) for a generic fantasy system. I feel like there should have been some steel and gold colors, and the greens and blues made not so bright. I look at those dice and it definitely seems more akin to a high-tech setting with bright neon shades than the softer colors that are shown on the actual core rulebook shown in the OP.