>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgtop8.com/event?e=15927&d=297923&f=MO
youtu.be/s6y9lO9THIY
channelfireball.com/videos/channel-pardee-time-madcap-scapeshift-modern/
reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/34vz16/10_modern_decks_around_30_part_4th_be_with_you/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Brewing?
>Playing?
>Hating?
>Next Purchase?
>FREETWIN?

Question for a long time player who just started playing at modern locals; outside of something like supreme verdict for U/W control, how viable/important are boards wipes as atleast sideboard slots?

Not brewing anything on modern
UG Infect
Ballista and Chalice
I will wait till the next card that can save infect
No. Free Jace

If you're in red it can be good to run Pyroclasm or Anger of the Gods for stuff like Affinity, Dredge, CoCo, and random aggro decks that crop up.

In other color combinations Engineered Explosives can be a very powerful sideboard card because you can use it to sweep small creatures, tokens, Lilianas, Blood Moons, Ensnaring Bridges, etc.

If you're playing midrange or control and don't maindeck any sweepers putting one or two 4 mana wraths (like Supreme Verdict or Damnation) in the sideboard can help with the aforementioned swarm decks, but also stuff like Bant Eldrazi or Eldrazi Tron.

>Brewing?
Some shitty GY deck that isn't any better than dredge or living end so people will call me stupid for playing it
>Playing?
UW control
>Hating?
Tron. 4 spreading seas and 4 ghost quarter just aren't enough some games... (most games)
>Next Purchase?
Nothing planned yet. wait and see what expands dong
>FREETWIN?
free walletsculptor or batterforge mystic

Reminder that if you're a burnfag and you don't run 1+ Ramunap Ruins you are ignoring the core principles of your deck, using counterintuitive logic, and missing out on one of the only card Wizards will ever purposefully print for your archtype

>tfw cucks thought this was going to be a lightning bolt invocation
L
M
A
O

is there really not a better version of this type of thing? overcosted burn spell on a land?

Barbarian Ring but its not legal in Modern. And that still sees play in Legacy as a one of occasionally for the same reason Ramunap would be run, insurance against flooding. Thats despite Legacy burn being so much more powerful.

isn't a mountain better...?

wizards doesn't like printing good utility lands much anymore

Barbarian Ring is three mana cheaper and can hit creatures if you ever need it to.

Legacy Burn also takes extra damage from any nonbasics via running Price of Progress.

>Mountain
>Tap for R
>Feels bad to flood

>Ruins
>Tap for R and a sensible tickle
>Feels good to flood man

Been running hot on Jeskai Ascendancy lately. Ideas Unbound, Wind Zendikon, and two infinite engines make it absolutely insane! Gitaxian Probe would mean T2 wins, but T3/4 is attainable with consistency.

I can forsee the ubiquitous discard effects being problematic if I take it to FNM, so I might maindeck my Leylines of Sanctity like I do on Ad Nauseam. Jeskai Ascendancy has the advantage of being able to filter them away & has a similar speed.

Barbarian Ring requires Threshold, which nonbos with Lavamancer and is vulnerable to all sorts of gravehate. Barbarian Ring also doesn't tap for colorless freely, if you're paying for tax effects or casting Skullcrack.

BUT! it's a Legacy card! that's right, it's not a legal card, much like Chain Lightning and other cards that are infinitely better than Modern burn cards.

Barbarian Ring is an AMAZING fucking card, it would be a 4of in Modern burn without question. BUT IT'S LEGACY!

Shiet my dude you run some of the same jank I do. 1 Noxious Revival is fun as you're sole phyrexian mana turn 2 enabler

can miracle grow work in modern?

>Playing
GW Pillowfort

>Brewing
Just new sideboard tech for the deck

>Hating
Nothing really. Kinda amusing how few enchantment removal people have in their 75

That card is actually really good if it's in the right deck (taking turns).

Also what do my fellow Turns players think about splashing a color? Do you guys think it's better to run Mono U or UB/UG or some other combo?

With all this talk of burn in thread, I've been meaning to ask - if I'm building burn, should I stick with mono red, or try and got Boros for lightning helix and soul fire grandmaster?

Also, I'm looking at possibly building skred and / or Turns. Any advice or suggestions on which is best?

Also, might try and build a janky sliver tribal sometime. So which of the four would work best in the current format, which seems most fun, etc? Burn is cheap enough for me to build regardless, although goblin guides are a pain in the ass.

what the fuck burn lists play grandmaster?

stick to fucking helix and boros charm stupid head

>go Boros for lightning helix and soul fire grandmaster
>soulfire grandmaster
>in burn
lol this guy

Well I was intending to go mono red, but a friend pointed out my lightning helixes I got laying around, and when I thought about anger of the gods with a soul fire on the field...

But is mono red faster and more reliable overall, or is it worth splashing white?

Successful Burn lists in Modern are almost universally RW, with a splash of green for Destructive Revelry. Some lists expand the green splash for Atarka's Command and/or Wild Nacatl. Only shitters play Nacatl burn though

here's an example of a recent competitive list. this is the ideal, although the land base is fairly flexible. for example, the scalding tarns could be bloodstained mire and do literally the exact same thing for a fraction of the price

>Only shitters play Nacatl burn though
Works in my meta :^)

it might help if I don't forget to fucking ctrl + v
mtgtop8.com/event?e=15927&d=297923&f=MO

>Playing
UBx Tezzeret, been fun so far but encountered so much fast aggro at my LGS it's starting to be an issue.

>Brewing
I like that Esper Goryos list that's been going around, bring back Ghostdad and Jace seems sweet

>Hating
Blood Moon, is no fun

GM is a do nothing, doesn't beat face well/hasty and doesn't improve your clock. You're on burn, your life is irrelevant, you just want more damage

Your meta doesn't play cards like

>fatal push, path, terminate, lightning bolt

very interesting

a cunt at my lgs was playing that esper goryo thing last friday, except he had a special 1 of as his spice

>end of my turn he activates jace
>they usually flip him on their turn but yeah whatever
>discards fucking jin-gitaxias
>slams goryo's vengeance
>I don't have removal
>oops my hand is gone
>cunt clubs me for 5 then draws 7 before being exiled
>I lose shortly after
shit was gross

That post was obviously ironic retard.

THAT is fucking spicy and now my dick is erect

juicy j always gets my dick hard

Will I learn at least the basics of how modern works, such as my local meta, how to play against various decks, the general feeling of the format, etc, by using Stompy?

I'm willing to get into it with a more expensive deck but I want to dip my toes in first to see if I even like it.

Playtest it on Xmage first

How is using a deck like Stompy going to help you decide if you like the format or not?
If you like Magic you're probably going to like Modern, it isn't like it's EDH or some shit

Modern is pretty as tbqh familia but the diversity keeps its fresh af

Most modern decks are pretty straight forward. If you don't like stompy you really can't go wrong with burn. You can build a reasonably competitive burn deck for like $35 and for the most part all the cards stay viable up until you replace them with their non-budget alternatives. It's not like you're going to need to dump hundreds of dollars worth of fetch/shocks moxs etc.

*ass

The only it's ever ass is because of the current meta, not really the formats problem though.

compared to what, standard or legacy?

Please tell me that's a good movie.

Eh....The special effects peak at this scene the angles look likes something out of the 90s.

>angles
Angels

jesus fuck.

Fairly new player here. Gonna meet this guy who sells playsets of foothills and mire. All cards are original ONS (in bad condition). All i see at my LGS are reprints, never saw a single ONS fetch. How worried should i be about fakes?

You should always be wary of the possibility of them being fakes.
Most of the counterfeits going around right now are indistinguishable while double sleeved but outside of them you can normally tell the difference.
Point is, if it's a fake, you'll probably know.

Okay, thanks- I'll probably build mono red, then slip in the helixes once I get a feel for it and want to grab the fetch lands and stuff.

Any opinions on skred or turns though?

Skred is really sub-par, just run normal burn.

Okay, but a playset of ONS fetches is nothing wierd?
Can you tell me some signs to look for in fake cards?

If you're considering skred, I would suggest ponza as a better alternative, and I'm not a fan of the way turns plays, if you're considering that type of deck I'd recommend watching the guy that got into top8 at GP Vegas and see if you like it.

Now, about the burn thing, it was my first serious modern deck and after all it lies now as my least favorite, the way the deck folds to life gain and slight mana flood is just something you can't really do anything about if you don't have the right spells, coming back from the opponent gaining 9+hp or stabilizing the board is also almost impossible.

These days If I want to be really fast to destroy the slower meta of the day my choice is Revolt Zoo

No, that isn't really that weird.
The best things to look for are that they're either going to be too glossy or too matte, the back might be too orange or too dark, set symbols can be off and hell, I've even some some that are miscut to hell but those aren't nearly as common now.

Seen some*

How many people here just stick to a pet deck regardless of meta? I've played UWr control since the inception of modern and I'll probably keep brewing it forever

Currently fiddling around with spell queller, that card is fun as fuck

>Okay, but a playset of ONS fetches is nothing wierd?
Have you seriously never seen old grogs at FNM with ONS fetches, RAV shocks, and a bunch of 3ed-5ed basics?

Where can I watch all the GP vegas coverage? Youtube only seems to have round 1 and top 8 for some asinine reason

>that poor guy getting matched against a 6 year old on camera
He was fucked regardless of whether he's win or lose

Where is that game?

ONS fetches are fine, good tests are that fakes tend to be weirdly colored, or have a wrong printing point pattern. Take a looking glass to a card you know is real and check the little dots that make the back color. You are also able to see through a real mtg card if you hold it up against the light, fakes tend to have thicker paper that you can't look through

Just google this stuff there are tons of guides online

youtu.be/s6y9lO9THIY

It's really impressive Imo, she obviously misplays but has a good understanding of cards

>matched against a six year old
Exactly what i thought. You win: great job, you beat a child. You loose: good job beating a child.

Also
>two kids in the modern grandprix
>magic is a game of skill and knowledge

>>Brewing?
Coffee
>>Playing?
Thalia & Friends No-Fun Taxstravaganza!
>>Hating?
Everyone!
>>Next Purchase?
Orzhov Pontiff for that guy that maindecks Lingering Souls.
>>FREETWIN?
Yeah sure, why not?

>Game says 13+
So who wants to report SCG?

>So who wants to report SCG?
An angry autistic manchild most likely

Splash white and remove all the cards that say "Take an extra turn after this one" with "prevent all combat damage dealt to players this turn"

>show up with unsleeved cards
>opponent completely dumbfounded

Is there a bigger mind-game than this?

Don't want to share the title anons?

I've played Grixis Delver for the entire time I've played Modern but thats because I'm poor and can't afford anything else

lol, the cards look huge in her hands

Devour Flesh or Geth's Verdict?

How much do you need to improve your DS match up?

Devour Flesh is infinitely better against DS.
I'm still on the Condemn train though since I'm crazy and enjoy white.

It's Noah, a 2014 movie.

Trade your delvers for death's shadows. Your deck will be instantly better.

>>Brewing?
Bring to light scapeshift + madcap emperion

>>Playing?
Bant spirits

>>Hating?
Lantern. Always lantern.

>>Next Purchase?
Considering a couple of engineered explosives

>>FREETWIN?
FREEBBE

>tfw no Death Shadow player in your FLGS
Feels great man

That's disgusting, I love it

>Brewing?
"Grixis" Tron
>Playing?
Grixis Tron
>Hating?
goodstuff.dec
>Next Purchase?
Ugin and/or Karn
>FREETWIN?
Free Modern by actually reprinting staples

Are you getting the new Bolas? I'm surprised to see grixis tron

I don't know yet
The new Bolas doesn't seem to be as annoying as the first
Same for the Planeswalker Deck Bolas
I'm not ready to go full Bolas tribal yet

>Pic related turns your classic Gx Tron into [Anything] Tron

Don't play Grandmaster, senpai. If you want a spicy creature play Satyr Firedancer

Played Affinity for a few years. Deck is always tier one and the core hardly changes. I can take a break for a couple years and come and only spend a couple dollars to update my deck. Good choice overall.

This one?

channelfireball.com/videos/channel-pardee-time-madcap-scapeshift-modern/

Hot damn that is pretty spicy, I won't lie. Where would I fit it in though?

You don't. Well, you could try and fit 1-2 in the sb against Elves, CoCo decks, any deck wanting field small creatures. I doubt it will help much, though.

secret soul sister tech

Fair enough - I know at least one guy is going all in on elves at my local place at least.

What would be the best substitute for goblin guides till I can actually buy them? Just stick with swiftspears and eidolons?

A friend of mine actually suggested I made some sort of wretched soul sister / burn deck.

Yeah, pretty much. I find repeal useless, I run echoing truth instead, and a couple other tweaks here and there

No Goblin Guides is rough, but you can make due. Vexing Devil can work (but is always going to get you the worst choice.) I had some success with Spark Elementals and Mogg Fanatic when I was in a tight budget. If you want to go up to 2 drops (which I don't recommend. Even if you're mono red, 2 drops are pretty loaded already), Keldon Marauders will always get damage in one way or another, and Stormblood Berserker or Lightning Elemental are okay choices.

Shit that sounds great for dealing with elves. Lets me kill anglers with searing blaze too.

Damnit. Hellspark Elemental, not Lightning Elemental. I always get those two mixed up.

Thanks user, I'll check it out. I know goblin guides are probably worth it in the end, because they see play in a lot of aggro decks.

uh where did your hand go? you're not supposed to check the number of cards in your hand vs your maximum hand size except at the very end of your turn, so JinGit shouldn't force you to discard... am I missing something here?

I actually got it. He reanimates JinGit at the end of your turn before the cleanup. Fair enough.

Anime slut items, the confidence to play with them makes your enemies start to crack.

Can someone give me the pros and cons on GW hatebears over D&T ?

I reeeeaaaally want to try out the Ramunap Excavator + GQ combo when HOU comes around but if Black is better than Green then I might not bother.

After the rotation i'm done with standard and i will have a deckbox and some sleeves to fill. Recommend me a cheap and fun modern deck that i can use if i'm fed up with my burn deck.

>cheap
Give us a budget. What's cheap to me might not be cheap to you.
>fun
That's also subjective. What playstyles or archetypes do you find enjoyable?

Mono green stompy

If you want a complete meme deck you could try somethign like Swan Hunt

Someone posted this last thread, I thought it had some interesting ideas:

reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/34vz16/10_modern_decks_around_30_part_4th_be_with_you/

Warning, some of these decks are no longer $30 because prices keep spiking on anything remotely playable in Modern, like the Living End deck.