youtube.com/watch?v=oiMwrJVQBe0

FFG Card Game Site
fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/legend-of-the-five-rings-the-card-game/

AEG Stories Site
kazenoshiro.com/

AEG 4E RPG Character Stats Site
kazenoshiro.com/

Questions:
>What do you think so far with the new Card Game?
>What is your hope for the Lion Clan in the New L5R Storyline?
>Would you take a hot-headed Matsu for a wife?

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/21/the-rising-wave/
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/28/monks-of-the-mountains/
youtube.com/watch?v=BxsNnUAyfd4
youtube.com/watch?v=fGx6K90TmCI
youtube.com/watch?v=MtqKaUc6Uas
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What do you think so far with the new Card Game?
looks great
>What is your hope for the Lion Clan in the New L5R Storyline?
Anything is better than the old plotlines
>Would you take a hot-headed Matsu for a wife?
Maybe, but I prefer Yogo women. Gotta live life dangerously.

Spoiler Day cometh -- and so do I.

Get hype for the inevitable Crane butthurt about how the Dragon dueling cards are better than theirs.

The funny thing is that despite the initial reaction playtesting has shown that the Crane dueling cards (Kaezin, Duelist Training, Doji Challenger in fluff at least) are among the best Crane cards. Everybody thought that they'd be meh, but Kaezin is just a monster and Duelist Training shines in so many scenarios.

Dragon preview is up. Love most of it, except it's looking like Togashi will dominate and I'd prefer more from other families. Discarding everyone else's attachments and fate is a neat combo. Fate removal encourages the opponents to play a few characters like the Dragon do, but attachment removal and hand discard means that they can't do it very effectively.

Can someone explain to me why everyone talking about Phoenix in the LCG seem to believe they will have an honor based victory path? Is there some spoiler I missed?

Just speculators speculating. Don't worry about it.

So, new edition of the L5R RPG?

Important question: is it possible to build Emiya Shirou as a Ronin Shugenja in this edition? I remember that it was possible in 2e, but not possible in 3e.

Ronin schools are underpowered right now, in fact 4e has major balance issues between schools, hope that is fixed in 5th

No special dice though for the love of god

Given the Genesys news, it feels like special dice are going to happen.

Get ready to choke on some special dice and get the blandest lore possible

>4e has major balance issues between schools

What the fuck are you talking about?

There are some standout bushi schools, sure, but none of the great clan schools are bad, nor are any broken. Yes, the Great Clan bushi schools are more powerful than Ronin or Minor Clan schools in most cases, but that's an intentional design decision. Keep in mind that you're not allowed to even play a Minor Clanner or Ronin without GM permission anyway.

You forget where you are. Veeky Forums constantly jacks it to the Minor Clans and takes high offense that they are in general weaker than Great Clans. Just look at some of the homebrew Minor Clan abortions Veeky Forums has produced. There was one that could lock a character out from raising for an entire fight with a pretty easy roll.

At it's not as bad crababies

>Dragon clan preview day
>Open thread with Lion and not even a link to their last week story or this week mechanics preview

Shamefur dispray, Akodo-san. Offer due honor to your weird, martially gifted monks and Holmses to your north.

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/21/the-rising-wave/

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/28/monks-of-the-mountains/

That one was intentionally overpowered. Not as some kind of statement or anything though, just because the designer wanted to make an OP dueling clan. The rest of them are pretty much on par for minor clans, with some unique, but weak abilities.

I have spent like an hour trying to think up one liners for this guy in the CSI Miami vein, got nothing. I'm apparently a retard. Anyone else got ideas?

Looks like we've got a case of...

puts on shades

...MAHO!

YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!
the kanji used make a pun that is literally untranslatable unless you actually read kanji

th-thanks

This is gonna be a bad feel.

So I've played a couple of games with Dragon on TTS already. They are fantastic, possibly the strongest clan yet revealed. The voltron strategy is real -- they get so much value out of attachments it just isn't funny.

Pic related is something that actually happened. This was not forced; this was the result of optimal play turn in and turn out. The guy lasted the entire game thanks to Mantra of Fire and killed multiple enemies.

This game is fantastic and I can't wait to actually play it for real.

It's gonna be Oriental Adventures all over again, and we all know what happened to Oriental Adventures. Frankly, worst case scenario is people keep playing 4e for another decade.

Once I finish my current campaign, I'm going to be doing L5R.

Era: immediately after the Great Famine, but not sticking very closely to canon. As of yet, there is no Kaiu wall, the Unicorn are still off in the Burning Sands, and it wasn't an absurd amount of time ago that the gaijin showed up. Their lands will be relatively unproductive, lots of dry steppes to keep the Lion from getting too OP. I am inserting a succession crisis into the mix, and people are going to start using firearms soon.

Style: Wargame/RPG hybrid. Characters will all be part of the same coalition, but have their own holdings and levies, will jockey for more. Trying for a weeaboo Game of Thrones with significantly less rape sort of vibe.

Any suggestion on how to set up the map? I think I'm going to put the Centipedes up North near the Phoenix border, but with how inconsistent it is I'm still thinking of where to put other minor clans/ land marks.

What's the pun explained for us non grorious nipponese speakers?

Is there a link to the TTS extension? Or is this something you've done custom?

It's only semi-publically shared, but if you join the L5R Discord server (just google it, it'll show up) it is pinned on the other_sharing channel. I don't feel particularly good about spreading it outside of there as I did not make the mod myself, but that's a place to find it.

One thing I noticed: Wasp Clan is created after Lion take over a former Scorpion Castle, get wrecked by the angry son of the former Lord. Thus, the final map I use must have the Wasp be bordered by both Lion and Scorpion Clan lands.

I like this guy a lot, in one turn he can become a martial or political beast you keep hammering on your opponents.

I honestly enjoy this preview season a lot more due to how retarded the FFG forum is.

People arguing for pages about why rokugani samurai should used guns.

A whole thread dedicated to not enough blacks.

And a die hard, autistic clinging to running the game multiplayer including someone already developing multiplayer strats

What other threads of note are out there?

He's actually one of the more underwhelming Dragon characters. The main issue is, you generally use your attachments to win the conflict in the first place -- using them to ready a guy afterwards is pretty backwards. Additionally, so far every single Weapon in the game is also Restricted, and with the way Restricted is worded once he has two Restricted weapons he actually can't play any more; you can't willingly trash your own attachments and he can't have them at all so you just can't play them.

This guy, on the other hand, is absolutely brutal. He just straight murders people. It's so rude. You give him 1-2 weapons and you're killing clan champions, and that's a bad day.

There's a new podcast springing up every day hungry for views. Also a thread trying to convince people to stop using magic terms for the game

Also a really weird thread about people thinking samurai should duel "to incapacitation" like they know they have HP and stuff instead of actually swinging around deadly weapons.

Yeah, I never thought I'd see a more retarded L5R forum than AEG's. The FFG crowd takes it to a new level.

Are any of them decent? When you have a ton of chaff there's gotta be some wheat around.

So how do we feel about our boy Togashi this go around? I'm honestly pretty hype, he seems the most powerful and versatile champions seen so far. I'm glad we're out of the dance of the Lion/Crane to see weird abilities now, I have high hopes for Shoju and Altansarnai now to do weird but probably powerful stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=BxsNnUAyfd4
youtube.com/watch?v=fGx6K90TmCI

I am tempted to visit the FFG forums. To see with my own eyes what you and the others have seen.

His copy ability isn't necessarily action efficient, and limit 1 per round hurts to an extent. That said he is pretty versatile and 5/5 and 3 pies is strong

They kind of suck but I don't really know card games well so I lurk there to learn the analytical element of the game since there's a few turboautists around who apply mathammer ethos to things. It isn't really worth it though unless you are needing some help getting into things though, otherwise these people are just the fucking worst. There's a few insightful posters like anywhere else, but their bad is a special kind of bad when it sinks down.

>His copy ability isn't necessarily action efficient,
What do you mean? As I read it, you can basically activate it whenever and immediately gain the effects of the copied ability by activating it straight after.

>except it's looking like Togashi will dominate
Funny, I got the opposite impression.

the copied ability only lasts for the phase, so doing it in battle means they get an action to do something about it. That said its not looking like there are a ton of ways to do something about it, and I keep forgetting theres a like action window before conflicts.

If anything its looking like our big bads are Mirumoto. Sure theres some ok togashi support but our biggest voltron targets are mostly Mirumoto.

The dragon are nonsense.

This is silly.

I see nothing wrong here.

youtube.com/watch?v=MtqKaUc6Uas

Someone must have already asked this elsewhere but I'm a lazy fuck. If you attach Way of the Dragon to Yokuni can he copy the same ability twice?

Ex. Youkuni and Raitsugu are on the board. Youkuni attaches Way of the Dragon. Yokuni copies Raitsusug's duel ability. With Way of the Dragon I assume Yokuni can then duel a man twice. Could he then coppy Raitsugu again and for another two duels?

Yes but you can't use it to allow him to copy one ability then another since the text of his specific ability notes once per turn and if you tried to copy that to copy another you'd get the limitation. It instead lets you fire off your copied ability again as though it were native.

So if I'm reading your response correctly the Limit 1 per turn on Yokuni's copy ability trumps WotD's "use it one more time." Is that right? Hrm. That's going to be one of those things that gets argued about every tourney, I'll bet.

They can't keep getting away with this.

What's the effect of Daimyo's Favor? I heard it got spoiled through non FFG means but I haven't see the effect anywhere.

+1 mil
And certain cards benefit from/cant be used on the holder of the favor

Wait oops I thought you meant Imperial :P

It's "bow this to reduce the cost of the next attachment you play on this character this phase by 1"

Interesting.
A damn fucking shame Ninten Master only unbows when you give him a weapon. He would've been so much better if it was any attachment. Right now he feels really underwhelming.

Indeed. Nevertheless, 4e is quite good.

Kitsuki's method for 5 court power
Attach +2 mill ancestral sword, ready
5 military for defense
Attach +2 non ancestral sword, ready
7 military go eat province
Nitten dude goes away, Kitsuki's method and ancestral sword thingy go back in your hand

Looks to me like the standard flow of Dragon play is to use their fate based shenanigans to lose by inches while you horde your fate until you can dump Yugioh (the show) level combos to create massive swings in your favor.

I just want a 5e that fixes 4e's problems ...
Lackluster weapons (it's like the writers sulked about having to keep all the weapon stats in the minimalist edition, and made most of them useless shit).
Shitty crafting rules and price lists (monetary value has always been terrible in L5R ... partly due to no fucks given, but also partly because you're supposed to sidestep the issue of money with favours, debt, etc).
Shugenja fail to convey the sense of being priests over human shaped swiss army knives/artillery.
Etc.

This is correct.

Elemental Kamis, are they supposed to be just "sentient element" in appearance like D&D elementals or they can be miyazaki-level weird? In the books there is a lot of how they behave and think, but not really how they can look like.

AFAIK there's no canon, but I always assumed the kami are turbo weird looking.

Give it up, the RPG is an afterthought compared to the CCG

L5R is most famous for its top tier autism LARP events, which run off of the RPG's sytem.

Orientalism never died, it just gets called LARP now

Yeah man. Those damn dirty racist Vampire players in Chicago.

lets take a looksie.

Crane - SHIT
Lion - Passable, but their champ is a total non-bo with their deck
Dragon - OP as fuck

Where will Crab, Scorp, Phoenix, and Unicorn fall, I wonder?

AFAIK, there's precisely one drawing from 2e era of what kami look like. Pic related.

>tree tiddy
',8^)

Hey, there's 3/4 mostly good editions, depending on what you want out of the game. They're probably going to pile L5R into their Genesys narrative whatever whatever, but until they do, a man can hope.

You thought you could out FOX the great Kitsuki?

Well, my friend, all I can say is...

(puts on shades)

KITSU-NAY

ayyyyy

The problem is that that's three restricted cards and you can't play the third one.You really don't want to be giving him Fans and/or Methods because that will directly reduce the amount of readies he can receive.

That said he's still a good card. He's not actually a voltron in and of himself, but he's a great support card.

Negative waves notwithstanding, it's a long shot but it's there.
I've always wanted to run a 1e game though.

How do you even fix weapons without adding a bunch of stupid special rules? Honestly I'm of the opinion that they should just collapse the weapon list further. Two handed weapons of every type have one profile, katanas have a profile, small weapons have a profile, then cheap versions of two handed and one-handed weapons for NPCs to wield.

>Honestly I'm of the opinion that they should just collapse the weapon list further.
Removing the bloat of 3e is the defining feature of 4e, so it stands out as odd that they gimped so many weapons without cutting the list down to a handful of less specific concepts. I'd look to Legends Of The Wulin for how that could work.

>Weapon types are Flexible, Massive, Paired, Ranged, Saber, Staff, Spear, Sword, Unarmed

>If you use one of the weapons listed under your External Style, you may add the weapon stats to the basic combat statistics provided by your style, and get access to the weapons’ special properties while using that style.

>An improvised weapon allows you to use your kung fu style that you normally wouldn’t be able to with your bare hands, although they don’t get to claim the specific properties of the weapon itself.

>Special weapons combine the properties of two weapons. This allows you to claim the benefts of both weapons at once (identical benefits do not stack, i.e., Paired Swords do not get +10 Strike)
This would be how you get things like jo (paired/staff), naginata (staff/sword), etc.

Fuck. What I would give for the LotW dice system for l5r.

>I've always wanted to run a 1e game though.
Coming at it as someone who started at the tail end of 3e / start of 4e, 1e has a certain charm and internal logic to it that gets curtailed in later editions. It's just hard to find a group of people who are willing to set aside the time to learn to play something slightly different to 4e.

Also, check the FFG forums talking about sacred cows they would remove. So much of it reads as people who only have a cursory involvement in what they're talking about, blatantly unaware that the 'changes' they would make are already part of the setting. That and the people who want FFG's custom dice are starting to irk me.

FFG forums are cancer. Everyone knows this.

>So much of it reads as people who only have a cursory involvement in what they're talking about, blatantly unaware that the 'changes' they would make are already part of the setting.

Its hilarious honestly.

I hope the Dragon absorbs Yoritomo's army.

Less of a monk and more of a warlord this time around.

What if Togashi possesses Yoritomo's body.

solves the dragon population problem by raping the minor clans, just like in the old timeline.

I like that Dragon's version of Econ is simply to waste your opponent's fate.

If you have a fate and your opponent has none, you are still an infinite measure above them.

Veeky Forums, I need your help! I made a Scorpion shinobi yojimbo with the Dangerous Beauty advantage, but the majority of Scorpion art I could find for men was them wearing large and intimidating masks. Dunno if this is the right place to ask, but if anyone has art of attractive Scorpion men I'd appreciate it!

Try Paneki. There are a few Scorpion men with small / no masks, but they're few and far between.

I gotchu senpai.

>art of attractive Scorpion men

Also;
>posting that glassy-eyed bimbo

Yeah, that's a man. Shosuro actors.

Your mother is a man.

My mother impregnated your mother. We're half brothers

My mother is also a man.

Well, this is awkward then, isn't it?