EDH/Commander General

"You Lazy Shits" Edtion

Last Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
What's a deck you're either been working on for some time or a general you couldn't quite get working?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-08-16-mana-mastery/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/breya-etherium-shaper-competitive-combo/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>What's a deck you're either been working on for some time or a general you couldn't quite get working?

Reaper King. I've tried building so many variants of the deck but have never stuck to it. It started with some janky Ally tribal deck before BFZ was even announced and I've since tried eggs, ETBs, and other things. Just nothing seems to stick and I've had this foil Reaper King mocking me in my binder for years.

Biggest issue is the mana base, "budget" five color mana bases are dreadfully slow and I don't really want to invest in like a full shockland/fetchland manabase, let alone duals.

>What's a deck you're either been working on for some time or a general you couldn't quite get working?
gw selvala stax has been a multi year project for me it wins in competitive tables but its just not right theres something off about it and I just cant get it to perform the way I know it can.

my 75% angry omnath deck always seems really disappointing also, its so much fun but its so all in on such an expensive commander.

mono black paradox engine has also been a chore I think ive almost got that one working though.
Ive been playing a jori en splinter twin list and thats been an inconsistent mess from day one

>Reaper King

holy shit same

although the biggest problem for me was having the deck do anything when reaper king was out of the field. the deck was mostly changeling creatures, mass flicker spells and some tribal effects, so it couldn't really do anything if reaper king was out of the game. i never built the deck because of that

>Thread Question
OG Ghost Daddy.
I really wanted to build him as some sort of board wipe tribal, but the isn't enough payoff to having a 4/4 that drains for 1 sticking around.

From my experience he's a pretty tough buildaround and mostly he's there for incidental value.

Best success I had was an eggs deck with him. One of the fun combos was Reaper King + Heap Doll + Glissa, the Traitor. Basically becomes 1: Exile target card from graveyard, then destroy target creature. Also Salvaging Station was boss with Heap Doll and Jawbone Skullkin.

The deck also played other combos, mostly Mikaeus, the Unhallowed with Chainbreaker/Grim Poppet/Wingrattle Scarecrow for some mass permanent destruction.

Reaper King is just not a good general though but he's so cool that one day I will finish him.

Copy from last thread since I missed the redirect.

Impact Tremors, Purph, Pandemonium, Warstorm Surge, Sleep/Cryptic Command to force the alpha strike in, Arm with Aether considering Locust God, colorless anthems like Coat of Arms and Mightstone, Battle Frenzy, Betrothed of Fire, Breath of Fury, Deepchannel Mentor, Day of the Dragons, Dragon Rage, Favorable Winds, Furystoke Giant, Goblin War Drums, Hellion Eruption (Day of the Dragons is better though), Keeper of Kees, Lavafume Invoker, Lightning Volley/Flame Fussilade, Mana Echoes won't be a win but could be worth it if you can use it to go infinite or psuedoinfinite, Mindwrack Liege is a heck of an anthem and lets you flash out Locust God as soon as you get him back for cheaper than casting regularly, Mob Justice could be a surprise kill, Orcish Orilafamme, the Paragons, Sprite Noble, and maybe Tears of Rage for the epic alpha strike.

What about a clone tribal Reaper King deck? Sounds about as janky, but the clones at least do something when he's not out and act as Vindicates that you can reanimate all sorts of ways.

Are any of the Chandras even good for EDH, they all look awful.

4 ability one is good

Flamecaller is pretty strong. Sometimes she's just a 4RR 4 damage to each creature but she can draw cards and present a persistent threat with the two 3/1's (which can also serve as sac fodder if needed).

Torch of Defiance kinda fills everything you want. Card advantage, mana ramp, and removal, with a game winning ult.

Pyromaster is basically just Outpost Siege with some more utility. The +1 does pick off smaller mana dorks or remove blockers.

Torch of Defiance and Pyromaster give you repeated draw in mono-red and Torch can ramp you if you'd rather have that than the draw. I'd say both are... not format staples or anything like that, but at least playable.

that could work actually. but better to focus on very temporary clone effects because it's typically not worth it to burn a 4-mana one-use clone just to vindicate something. as in, splinter twin = good but sakashima = bad.

i might just build that actually

How does Blue keep getting away with shit like this?!

Do you have favorite tokens?

Blue has gotten clone effects from the graveyard before (body double)

But blue getting a mass reainmator effect does feel like a massive bend even with them being copys.

Body Double was Planar Chaos, so it's always been stretching it.

That's literally one card in a set where color pie fuckery was the theme. Wizards is just stroking Blue's dick at this point.

Also this.

This card isn't even good why is everyone bitching about it.

We had embalm in Amonkhet and no one really complained, and embalm was essentially a blue/white mechanic.

Dreams of the Dead too since who cares what color the creature you're reanimating is since you only need blue to use it.

are storage lands any good?

>"Thread Question:
What's a deck you're either been working on for some time or a general you couldn't quite get working?"

I've been working on a Rashmi deck for a tourney at my LGS tomorrow. Only Standard legal sets allowed for your cards. EDH Banlist, not the standard one. I think I almost have it. I'm just trying to ramp out big spells.

Garbage fire, coming through!

Not really, but if you consistently have extra mana lying around, they could be helpful in a long game.

Well shit.

fuck me why is red so goddamn GARBAGE all the time.
I weep for monored and burn players.

The shuffle rather hurts it. Which is a pity when Scry is in red's part of the pie.

They're way too slow, even with Atraxa or something.

>standard legal EDH
I can't think of a more boring format.

I got tokens for my Brago deck, Eventide Spirits and Kaladesh Thopters.

>doesn't even have flavor text

>cast 20CMC for 6
>bad

Que

Why do I hate Golgari and Rakdos commanders so much when I like the colors themselves?

There is only one commander in each color I like and that is:

The Scorpion God because he looks like he can play some control with a side of card advantage built in, which appeals to me.

Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons is the Golgari commander I like because he seems like he could work similarly to my Tally deck. He looks like he can control the board and get some good advantage from tons of Deathtouch Weenies.

My group only plays multiplayer and I am not a huge fan of infect but everything else is on the table.

What's wrong with me?

Maybe you should reread the card, user.

>four cards
>cast 5 or less for free

Yup, 20CMC for 6

The LGS owner does a new EDH tourney every 2 months. Last time it was tribal (creatures had to be in the creature type chosen and a minimum of 20 creatures), before that it was PW commanders (nonflip, ugin or karn) peasant (commons and uncommons allowed). They're pretty fun. And whatever deck wins gets banned so it can be used next time we have those rules. So, Tamiyo won the PW-Peasant tournament, so if we use those rules again, Tamiyo can't be used (the EMN Tamiyo).

Lyzolda and big dick Olivia are pretty fun Rakdos commanders. Not the most powerful, but you can be somewhat competent with them.

ya you only need to exile all your lands with that big blue fatty creature

its somewhere between 0 and 20
which would be 10 on average for 6 mana.
you also need to put a relatively high number of cmc 3-5 into your deck to even make it matter.
and then it also is random.
and then this is not the only red GARBAGE card and your 20 cmc best case scenario doesnt even kill your opponent turn 6.

I guess that's more interesting. I don't quite follow the banning logic though if the format changes every tournament.

It's probably a failsafe to keep people from trying to netdeck the winning deck and encouraging diversity. It's not hugely relevant, but it makes sense from the perspective of people trying to be careful with an unofficial format.

Okay so we run Trench Gorger with Hazoret's Undying Fury. Then the rest of the deck needs to be 5cmc to make sure we get our 20cmc worth. But we'll need a way to cheat Trench Gorger into play...
Okay so we use a 5cmc tutor to tutor for Corpse Connoisseur, put Trench Gorger in our graveyard, play a 5cmc reanimate spell, bring back Trench Gorger to exile all our lands, and then play Hazoret's Undying Fury for crazy value!

>How dows blue keep getting away with shit rares and mythics
I dunno man, i also wonder...

Or the two mana spell that does the same thing.

Newzuri.

Everyone in my LGS packs faster combos and wraths but I'm not giving up. It's gotta be faster and stronger

Just play him with Aluren + Cloudstone Curio and combo people out with Sage of Hours. Alternatively just dumping all the +1/+1 counters on a Blighted Agent works well too.

Ramp into T+N for Hornet Queen and Sage of Hours.

>Garbage fire
>make cube
>use conspiracy cards
>magic christmas land into casting 4 copies using this card
lol

>my deck is nothing but 5 cmc non-land cards

Man it's so weird seeing all these decks with etb taplands, random beaters with barely any synergy and awful acceleration and interaction.

Like, I get it, you don't want to be try hards. But packing bad cards and no answers is just asking to have an un-fun experience. You don't even need to break the bank to do it, just takes a little bit of thought in deck construction. If this describes you, you need to stop sucking.

Even then, that's optimally 6 mana to kill 4 creatures and not having your lands untap.

Could I make Gruul Wort Landfall work for under $200?

Maybe some token doublers and things like Purph and Impact tremors?

I want to make it more combat based and not just burn or land des

>a general you couldn't quite get working?
Alesha
Oona
Horde of Notions
Jori En

Reaperking is meant to be played as a MLD stax general

Wow, this might be the worst rare in the set so far.

>making a fun commander unfun
For what purpose? He's not even good at stax because he comes online so late in the game.

It's totally not. Stop being retarded. Besides
>5c stax

>Reaper king
>Ever "fun"
The whole deck is vindicate land destruction.dec the biggest goals I see in reaper king decks is stuff like rite of rep with kicker or blade of selves.

All of the actual creatures reaper king decks run are really weak, and ideally you just blow up all of everyones resources and grind it out.

It's a very Johnny style deck, but I wouldn't pretend it's any better than stax, since when it works they are largely the same.

>Wizards is just stroking Blue's dick at this point.
My sides I can't stop laughing

That's like saying winning via infinite mana and capsize is stax. It's not.

>How does Blue keep getting away with shit like this?!
because the color pie is already lopsided pro blue so they will get shit for a while.

I'm not the guy who said it was stax, I'm just the guy saying from a "fun" perspective there isn't any difference between the two (or winning with infinite capsize buyback for that matter)

It's just a scalable body double. Holy shit people, calm down.

Wew

I don't have time for this.

So terrible. Confiscate is 6 mana and does so much more. This is a shitty control magic and a double shitty treachery.

If they wanted to make it almost worth it they could have at least given it two targets

Reaper King is meant for 5c artifact goodness. Dis thread sux.

>Confiscate
>Treachery
>Control magic

Can be removed, as they are all auras.

The downside can be mitigated by playing decks with dorks, rocks, or other untap mechanisms.

>control magic but with a shittier drawback
fuck that

It could be worse. It could be

If you are implying that you can't stop the effect because it's a sorcery you are wrong though. It's definitely not worth making this an 8 mana card. Shit son, look at Gilded Drake.

>Gilded Drake.

Only targets creatures.

I don't think Kefnet's last word is a must include in decks, but I think you guys are ignoring its versatility in having different legal targets and the fact its indefinite.

Malfegor, but I have never really put all that much effort into it. Anyone have a good list or some spice?

Blatant thievery hits every permanent type, steals multiple permanents, is as indefinite as this, and effectively costs less mana.

It's just a bad card user. None of the cards in this cycle we're good.

only time I could ever see using that card is if you already have a static orb in play

Blue Braids. I love the card, but I just can't make it work in my meta.

>shuffle your deck

Fucking why

this couldve been UU counter target spell dont untap your lands next turn
wtf

>Strictly worse counterspell
I would have settled for a 1 CMC mana leak with the cycle drawback

So B>G>W>U>R for this cycle? I might be placing W too high, but it seems fun after using necropotence or a few turns with Bob.

we wouldnt want to make it op now user :^)

>effectively costs less mana

There's a huge difference between costs and "effective" costs. I'd much rather play Deep Analysis than Tidings.

that's because deep analysis is flexible and you can choose whether you want to use its flashback or not
kefnet's last word is always 8 mana 'spent' over two turns and will punish you even if you exclusively pay for it with mana rocks and/or dorks - in which case you'd be able to cast blatant thievery anyway and get much more bang for your buck

it's not really comparable

>new cycle of gods
>white and green get shafted again

I want to start buying manabase for a 5 color commander but don't have a big budget.

Let's say a third of my deck is green so I can ramp/color fix.
If I can't buy everything, is it better to have the four GX bi/rav/fetch/whatevertheyareLands so I'm always sure to have green;
or get more basic forests and have the non-green dual lands so I have pretty safe basics and can get more colors with the non-basics.

>Let's say a third of my deck is green so I can ramp/color fix.
that sounds like my 5c deck
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-08-16-mana-mastery/

>mfw somebody plays a fugly five color deck near me

>.png
>9000x9000
>407kb

what witchcraft is this?

>is always 8 mana 'spent' over two turns

What if you pay for it with a land, a Sol Ring, and a Signet?

Because we'll go back to Tribal, PW-Peasant, Standard Blocks Only and so on. And then, when the banlist gets too big, he hits the big old reset button and we start over.

>Thread Question:

This fucker right here.

So I'm thinking about doing a Neheb, the Worthy commander, what are some vital cards that I'd need to have in it?

Every so often I pick up a few cards for Doran, but I've never actually put him together because I've never heard of the deck doing amazingly well.

Depends on the build you're going for. I play enchantress, so many of the discard enchantments are a must. I also play garbage such as Cover of Darkness so there's that.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/breya-etherium-shaper-competitive-combo/
Can I get some advice on what 7 cards to add?

looking at he art up-close makes me think of speedlines, which brings to mind:

very fast tree running at incredible hihg speed

Swiggity swooty, he running on his rooties

spooky neheb