Magical weapons and armor are much more effective when they're taken from the bones and hides of magical beasts...

Magical weapons and armor are much more effective when they're taken from the bones and hides of magical beasts. Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com.br/books?id=5etXFfRDMDMC&pg=PA92&lpg=PA92&dq=blacksmith mythical status&source=bl&ots=vdm5UyNI1n&sig=F_u9bvUdf-y50QJD0LTbP_jV_68&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-6KWBu4LSAhUKSyYKHQAUADsQ6AEIUTAJ#v=onepage&q=blacksmith mythical status&f=false
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nkisi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No

Why not?

She can take my magical bone any day

Cause he's being a contradictory cunt.

I love monster parts as items of power. I like merging magical beasts with spells and metallurgy to create objects of power

I know about a bone she can take from a magical beast

How much of the weapon has to be made of monster parts to be effective? Does a dragonbone grip on a sword work, or do I have to do full Neolithic for my weaponcrafting?

Dragons parts especially. Here, have a crafting kit for 5E.

I like it but its hard to do, at least for me.

I would love tips and PDFs to back this idea up

Magic items come in 6 forms in my setting; from strongest to weakest:
>Anything made by gods, demons, and similar
>Monster bones and hides with properties related to the beast
>Badass wood that's soaked up the ambient magic around it
>Mystical metals like Mithral and Adamantine
>Crystals that have been pumped full of raw magic power like batteries
>Mundane crap that became magic after awesome stuff happened to or around it

Basically, the more 'man-made' magic items are, the weaker they tend to be. However, stronger magical items are not only far rarer, they tend to have nastier side effects and restrictions on who can benefit from them and when. Power does and should come with a price.

On the one hand, you can make a flaming sword by stuffing a Flame-empowered crystal into the pommel, and that'll give it fire damage but not much. You can pretty easily extract the crystal and put in a new one if you want to change its properties, and recharging the thing is as easy as finding a fire mage and having them spend an afternoon pumping their juice into it. The enchantment can run out so it's a useful tool but not the kind of thing that turns the tide of battle.

On the other hand, a sword hewn from the bones of a red dragon could totally light on fire, but it's a wild and uncontrolled flame that lashes out at nearby creatures when you swing the weapon, and it fills the bearer's heart with greed and cruel ambition. You're getting more power out of it for sure but it's putting a strain on your spirit, which in my game has mechanical consequences. Too much of a powerful thing, no matter how benign, can twist a hero into something inhuman.

>Too much of a powerful thing, no matter how benign, can twist a hero into something inhuman.
First, I really like your idea. Its pretty cool.

Second, fuck being human. I want power.

>First, I really like your idea. Its pretty cool.
Thanks!

>Second, fuck being human. I want power.
That's basically the subplot of my campaigns in that setting. Do you retain your humanity but struggle in vain against monsters and horrors, or do you become monstrous in your pursuit of strength? I try and evoke Berserk, Claymore, Witchblade, D.Grayman, and other similar media into the tone of mechanics. Using corrupting power gives you an instant shot of corruption that wears off over time, as well as a small amount of permanent corruption that can't be removed.

So Anima Beyond Fantasy?

explain

One of the better metals for high-grade weapons is a metal found only in the bones of ancient dragons.
Enchanting, no matter what style(Alchemy, Occult, Runes, or Animism) requires materials of a supernatural nature. each material provides points towards certain levels of powers.
You can also enchant items by sacrificing living beings, if you feel so inclined.

and the best grade of this metal is found in the dragon's bacculum

If those weapons and armor are so great, then how did the monster die in the first place?

Their bones weren't enchanted yet.

Human cunning and determination.

old age

Does the effect remain if the magical beasts are kept in a farming operation or does the +1 Noctus Eel bone sword only have powerful properties if the eel spent a lifetime dodging predators and devouring lesser monsters in the savage jungles of the Overgrowth?

This is some medusa shield shit

It always end up being overpowered.

Not OP but in my setting magical beasts are dangerous enough to wreck people's shit so farming them is impractical. They also radiate corruption that screws with the land around them and draws other monsters. They also draw more power from consuming other monsters as you suggestion. But yeah, there's nothing stopping some amazingly powerful adventurers and guilds from capturing some monsters and harvesting them. It's just really, really dangerous and about as prone to fail as your average sci-fi supersoldier program.

fuck you

I think Hercules did something of the sort, didn't he? Seems to be a rather old trope.

Also, source on the artist?

The Jungle is a dark place, where the evil dwells. Diseases, witches, snakes, locusts, ghosts.

The sporadic human communities turn to their magic-users for protection: the blacksmiths. They know how to make metal from earth, but, more importantly, they know how to make items suitable for housing spirits out of certain woods, seeds, metals and bones. Charms against madness-inducing monsters, ancestral-posessed palisades which only let people inside, brass pins that obscure hostile divination, altars with healing powers.

The sinews, horns, bones and hides of slain animals and monsters are specially useful to make items which atract the their spirits before they dissipate. In exchange for continuous existance and the joy of hunt, they grant powers to their wielders.

This works with lion manes and bows made from bufallos' sinew and horn, but the most powerful items demand the most powerful beasts.

Mythological Africa.
books.google.com.br/books?id=5etXFfRDMDMC&pg=PA92&lpg=PA92&dq=blacksmith mythical status&source=bl&ots=vdm5UyNI1n&sig=F_u9bvUdf-y50QJD0LTbP_jV_68&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-6KWBu4LSAhUKSyYKHQAUADsQ6AEIUTAJ#v=onepage&q=blacksmith mythical status&f=false
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nkisi

Correct.

Enchanting is very hard. Spells are living creatures, in a very weird way (weirder than plants, not as weird as Hematodinium). Convincing one to live in a sword is like chaining a lion to a stone. Yes, it works. Yes, you still need to feed the lion, and it might attack you, but if you're very careful it might also attack your enemies. Or explode. Like this simile.

Anyway, since magical creature are pretty much made of pure magic, give or take, their bones and skin are very useful. A sword made of a dragon's tooth will remember its dragon past and stay sharp. A cloak made of a beholder's leather will remember turning back outside magic.

But since some creatures can not truly die, covering yourself in their bones and viscera is just asking for trouble.

Yes, or at least easier to make

My magical weapon is much more effective taken in the ass and puss of that magical realm warrior woman.

contribute or leave.

this. also it looks amazing and creates strong investment into the character, its gear, and the world you're adventuring in.

I really like the concept and it has a lot of basis in mythology with magical cures or tools or compontents for spells coming from magical creatures but it's easy to overdo it like with monster hunter.
The golden fleece, poison of the hydra, various dragon parts, unicorns and other creatures with magical horns.

Some D&D monsters use the idea though usually it's just a valuable part to add fluff to their treasure. There are some cases such as flail snail shells reflecting magic, though the power fades over time, and being used in crafting spell turning shields, or beholder floatation organs being harvestable.