2000AD discussion

Was going to ask this in the "Marvel rips off 40k" thread but it died before I could. How's 2000AD doing these days? I grew up on the late 90s-early 2000s era stuff, and holy shit did I love it. Stopped collecting because life and shit, moved on I guess. Then I saw some of the old artwork in that thread and it reignited my interest. How do you guys feel about it? Is there much love/interest for obscure British sci-fi on the board?

Would love to see more media being made of it. Sinister/Dexter movie? Hell yes. Slaine RPG? Probably already been done. TL:DR, is it worth getting into modern 2000AD?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/ueoipo3ac38u3ac/MGP8001_Sláine_the_RPG_Of_Celtic_Heroes.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/z9wd7o9oi3ubv/SHAKARA
mediafire.com/folder/qkpkf9b6sn7rt/Fatties
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's still pretty good. Kind of surprising how well it's kept its quality, to be honest, while Marvel and DC just keep on going with their downward spiral of shit.

Yeah. I mentioned in the thread you're talking about but Deadworld (running in 2000AD) and Lawless (running in the Meg) have been incredibly solid Dredd Universe strips lately. When did you stop reading?

Must have been around 2002-2003. I remember the Books Of Invasions storyline for Slaine, the Empty Suns saga for Durham Red, the Judge Dredd/Alien crossover, the Dredd story where he finally kills that crazy bitch who'se in love with him, that Sinister Dexter story where they go to space with Billie and get chased by a bunch of perverts for not being perverted enough. Sorry for being vague but I'm remembering from 10 years ago. I loved the Nikolai Dante stories, the Rogue Trooper stuff, and I distinctly remember this oneshot called 13, spanned about 15 issues iirc (pic related).

Is there anywhere I can catch up on the stuff I missed, an online cache or something? I hate to freeload but I probably can't buy the comics anywhere so long after release.

Fug forgot pic. Loved the story, remember it fondly for being one of my first faps along with the rape scene from the Books Of Invasion story. Yes I'm a bit fucked in the head.

I recommend Cradlegrave and Ampney Crucis Investigates for some fun inspiration for horror rpgs. The former is even recommended by Ramsey Campbell

Read Comics Online will have a ton. The Megazine now also includes a complete older story as a mini-graphic novel.

To be fair while not as bad as the mid-90s I would say when you got out was the start/middle of a bad period for 2000AD and it doesn't really start picking up for a few years after that.

>The stuff I was reading was in the middle of a bad period
Holy fuck, now I'm definitely going to catch up. How does the new stuff compare to the classics like Judge Child Quest, Nemesis the Warlock, Horned God saga etc?

Reading the Dredd/Alien story now, holy crap this is tickling my nostalgia boner

Dredd's chin is completely inhuman in this picture. It really bothers me.

It's like that in a lot of his artwork bro. It's part of his character parodising the musclebound 80's action hero. Same way that the pauldrons of Space Marines completely obscure all peripheral vision.

I mean Nemesis is like the gold standard of 2000AD but I think the recent Deadworld stuff - Cursed or something - is pretty up there. Slaine has never really been as good again.

OP here, jujst had to share this pic because it's fucking awesome

Aww yiss.

There was totally a Slaine RPG OP. It came out during early 00s d20 boom, so its mostly D&D with a few tweaks. Take a look!
mediafire.com/file/ueoipo3ac38u3ac/MGP8001_Sláine_the_RPG_Of_Celtic_Heroes.pdf

There were quite a few supplements, but unfortunately I don't have any links handy.

Ian Edginton's work in general is usually worth reading - Leviathan has a lovely setting, Stone Island had some nifty body horror even if the story wasn't terribly strong and Stickleback is very useful for neo-Victorian weirdness in the vein of Malifaux.

"Cursed: The Fall of Deadworld", following on from "Tainted: The Fall of Deadworld" and "Dreams of Deadworld". It's proper good. Lawless is also fantastic especially as a sequel to Insurrection.

Hey creeps Warlord games used to sell metal Judge Dredd minis which you can find on ebay cause Warlord have stop producing them however earlier this year Rebellion and 2000AD and all the affiliates renewed their licenses with other companies so a Dredd tv show is in the works and iirc Warlord games have renewed their contract and are looking to produce minis again.

Comic wise I believe this I recently picked up Dead Planet and it was great along with Dredd compendiums they still hold up

I have a little bit of time, so I thought I'd do the part of the new Deadworld series: Dreams of Deadworld, by Kek-W and Dave Kendall. This is probably the first major reinterpretation of the four Dark Judges since their inception by Brian Bolland thirty-odd years ago, and their look and the stories told here owe much to a nightmare which Kendall had involving them.

The statue in the background of this picture is from the first appearance of Deadworld in the comics, and Death and Anderson's second. In the original it reads "Here marks the spot where the last Lawbreaker was punished."

Can't say I've ever been too pleased with the warlord games 2000AD figs. They're deliberately retro, but I'm desperate for proper modern sculpts.

Each part of Dreams focussses on one of the Four and shows a part of their history before they first came to Mega City One. First up is Judge Fire.

One of the things people weren't expecting was that this seriess showed that once upon a time there were quite a few other Dark Judgess, each with their own peculiar foibless.

Mortiss, who's foetid touch bringss decay.

This is retarded and edgy in the best ways. I have something to read now.

A small reminder that the Dark Judges were once human beings in the second panel.

Fear, the shock of whose gaze can kill an ordinary man.

He also has a few other trickss up his sleeve. Tricks and beartraps. Never forget the beartraps.

Judge Fear is known for exactly one moment that he will never, ever live down, and I love seeing different takes on it.

And finally... Death.

Killer pun in the last panel.

>impending sense of dread
hee hee

of the dark judges fear's probably my favorite

It really is the topss. I also really like that it retroactively means that every instance of the Fist of Dredd is Fear's worst nightmare coming true.

I've always had a soft spot for Mortis, personally, partly for the fact he looks so peculiar and partly because his rotting attacks can be portrayed so horribly. He makes a cameo appearence in the Fall of Deadworld series in a partially-transformed state and if anything its more disturbing than his "normal" form.

I thought this was OK (the art's great, certainly) but it's the Tales of Deadworld stuff that shows the apocalypse in-progress that really knocks it out of the park.

>it's the Tales of Deadworld stuff that shows the apocalypse in-progress that really knocks it out of the park.
It does, but I don't have time to do it all tonight and these work quite well as a primer for who the are behind the events of the Fall are and what they're planning to do.

Its really interesting seeing all these strands of Dredd history tie together in Tainted and Cursed but if anyone is on the fence they are totally worth reading on their own. I really want to see what happens next, even though I know its ultimately going to end horribly for everyone.

>GAZE INTO THE GUN OF TIMMY

I don't know if the thread will survive that long, but I should be able to do the two-and-a-bit later Deadworld stories and possibly some others tomorrow if anybody is interested.

If OP's still about, you might also want to look for Brass Sun: The Wheel of Worlds, Numbercruncher, Absalom, Kingmaker, Scarlet Traces, The Low Life, The Simping Detective, Insurrection, Defoe, Aquilla and KIngdom. Plus lots more, those are just a sample of what you might have missed that I could think while I'm half asleep

How the hell has Dredd stayed consistently good?

im interested

The Law

it has and hasn't
look at meg zero.

Veeky Forums - Comics & Cartoons

sounds about right
i mean tg is also /pol/ and /co/umblr

The only comic that isn't afraid to follow the concept of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Referring to a Judge's body parts as "inhuman" is three months in the cubes, creep!

>Dark Judgess, each with their own peculiar foibless

Fffffuck you Shakaranon I need these sides to live

OP here, thanks a bunch mate, loved reading these. I'll definitely look into the stuff you mentioned, but also: was the sequel to Shakara any good? I read the original as it came out and it was pretty fucking baller. Either way, thanks again, you da man.

>Fist of Dredd
Fist of dredd as in when dredd punches him in the face? I haven't read the comics in a long time, but did that really have a big effect on his psyche?

yeah, dredds gloves are made out of psy resistant material, so while dredd is waggling his fingers inside his head its like someone grabbing your brain and throwing football with it

I don't know too much about the Dredd comics outside of seeing a bunch of panels and having an anthology. My favorite panels from Dredd are the bits were it goes either full on silly or dark and funny. What's the best Dredd issue to read for that very specific brand of dark humor the series has?

>What's the best Dredd issue to read for that very specific brand of dark humor the series has?
Literally any of them. Personally I'd recommend the Sin City arc, The Day The Law Died, The Judge Child Quest, The Apocalypse War and its prologue story Block Mania. From there on just keep digging, it's tough to find a genuinely bad read when it comes to Dredd.

Despite being Russian, i find it greatly amusing how utterly assblasted are commie remains about the fact their capital got BTFO

It was more that Dredd has punched him in the face A LOT since the first time (seriously, he once managed to do it before the first time thanks to time travel), and given that this is more or less the first time we've had a glimpse of his own psychology we can extrapolate that Dredd's his worst nightmare as someone who can a) harm him and b) is utterly unafraid of him. No idea what is on about. Not that Justice Department doesn't have gloves that can punch ghosts, but they're not standard issue.

Yes, all four of the sequels are very good. Ludicrously over the top, but very, very good.
mediafire.com/folder/z9wd7o9oi3ubv/SHAKARA

In addition to 's suggestions, I'd also submit anything involving Fatties and Otto Sump. I prepared a Fa/tg/uy Fat Pack some time ago.
mediafire.com/folder/qkpkf9b6sn7rt/Fatties

To be fair, some got over it. Almost murdering Mega City One in the Days of Chaos gave closure to the more War Crime-y ones.

I've got to do something else right now so I can't provide full commentary, but I do have the first part of Fall of Deadworld lined up. For anyone just coming in and to set the scene, its worth going over the history briefly.

Judge Death first appeared way back in 1980, in 2000AD prog 149. A monstrous undead creature in a twisted parody of a Judge's uniform, Judge Death proclaimed that "The crime is life, the sentence is death!" and sought to punish the lawbreakers of Mega City One. Death's rampage was only stopped by Psi Judge Cassandra Anderson (also in her first appearance) bravely sacrificing herself and trapping the two of them in a miracle plastic tomb. A year later Death and Anderson were freed by a man acting for Death's three brothers - Fear, Fire and Mortis. Together the Four Dark Judges began another systematic purge of Mega City One, and again Anderson stopped them, this time by travelling to the Dark Judge's home dimension and channelling the souls of the planet they had murdered to try to destroy their souls.

In the years since Anderson, Dredd and Death fought again and again and slowly more details of the Dark Judges and their origins emerged. Judge Death: Boyhood of a Superfiend revealed that Death was named Sidney, and was the son of a dentist. He had developed his philosophy as a mere mortal, but thanks to a chance encounter with the witch sisters Phobia and Nausea and falling in love with them was transformed into the creature we know today. The other Four Dark Judges followed soon after and together they began the purges of their world. Boyhood of a Superfiend was in many ways a comedic take on the concept of mass murdering supernatural sociopaths, but the period was revisited later in Anderson: Psi-Division - Half-Life in a much more serious way.

Fall of Deadworld combines elements of Boyhood and Half-Life to show just how the world ended...

Pre-90s 2000AD had a profound effect on Sci-fi that are still felt to this very day ... for the worse.

They're more recent stuff is top notch but only after the U.K. authors became less concerned about being distinct in their "British sci-fi" and allowed their writing to become more influenced by popular media all over the world.